PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Shark helmet?

Bob
15th June 2006, 22:55
If so, are they any good? Laura (the wife) really likes the look of the S800 Butterfly Mat (in blue).

Seemed decent enough when we saw one at a show, but just wondered if anyone has owned one long term and if so, what is/was the quality like? Do the straps fray? Does the lacquer last? Noisy or quiet? Just how bad is the misting (or to put it a nicer way, is the venting effective)? And is it comfortable?

Not asking specifically about the S800, just want to get an idea of Shark lids in general.

If it is decent, then I might just be generous and buy her one on the cheap at a show later in the year!

aff-man
15th June 2006, 23:16
I've got an RS2. light as all hell. Really quiet to. And thier prices are coming down. You can get a decent one for about $600 and a cheaper but still really good one for about $300.

I'll be getting another one when I get rid of the banana rama lid.

Darkman
15th June 2006, 23:23
I have the Shark RSR..something or other. The Duhammel replica. I think it is a good helmet. Fits well and quiet. Does fog up in the mornings. As far as venting is concerned..not bad, but i think it depends alot on what bike you ride. When I was on my blackbird with double bubble screen, it seemed That no helmet vented well enough. Now that I am on the sportsbike, I cant get the vents to stop.As far as quality is concerned..I think they are just as good as the other top helmets. The only thing I personally don't like on these helmets are the visor locking on them. Once I close the visor, I find it real hard to open it up again. Not sure that the S800 has the same though. Just have a look at it.
edit: yeah..good thing about these helmets are that they are way cheaper compared to the Shoei or Arai.

HDTboy
16th June 2006, 10:27
I had an RSF, and now have an S500, I'll buy a higher spec one when I can afford to, I like my shark

cowboy
16th June 2006, 10:42
Iv got a S800 & prefer it to my suomy flip front. Much quitere:niceone:

Clivoris
16th June 2006, 10:49
I currently have an X-lite that I've been pretty happy with. Especially the anti fog visor insert. But, I'm considering a Shark as the next upgrade mainly because of their shock absorbing liner thingies. They seem to be built with a bit of a crumple zone in the polystyrene, and it makes sense that this would help absorb part of the impact on the noggin. They look pretty good too.

SDU
16th June 2006, 11:05
Had mine (RSFi- Bolt) for almost a year with no probs. The venting is good I only fog a bit now at low speed cause I wiped a bit off the anti fog off in some atrocious weather, be easy enough to put some fog off on the visor. Find it real comfy.

Check this thread out its about the helmets & other prints.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=29544

http://www.shark-helmets.com/shark/shark_fra_Public/Shark2003/sharkfull_gb_2005.htm

mr me
16th June 2006, 13:03
I find the shark halmet brilliant,they fog a little but what helmet doesn't.They are a good fit and they arn't that noisy.I had an RSF 2 and crashed in it I went straight over the bars and landed on my head,Causing two cracks in it about 4 inches long each one from where I hit the crub.Had no head injurys so i swear by these helmets now.I hit the ground hard enough to break my back,looking at my helmet you would think I did end up with head injurys.Now that I'm back on a bike I've gone and brought a RSV.I RECCOMEND THEM.

Cibby
16th June 2006, 13:09
awwww i wanted the butterfly one as well

I dont own a shark but me and postie are buying them this weekend, they fit comfortably, and they look hot..

Plus they dont cost a million dollars..

GO hard. :)

Biohazard
16th June 2006, 13:14
bugger i thought this was about a Great White in the bathroom :blip:

nice helmets though

The Stranger
16th June 2006, 13:17
Don't forget the frikin lasers though.

Uncle B
16th June 2006, 13:23
Come on Dafe, show us your collection :nya:

Clivoris
16th June 2006, 15:09
Can the Sharks be fitted with pinlock anti fog visors?

inlinefour
16th June 2006, 15:12
If so, are they any good? Laura (the wife) really likes the look of the S800 Butterfly Mat (in blue).

Seemed decent enough when we saw one at a show, but just wondered if anyone has owned one long term and if so, what is/was the quality like? Do the straps fray? Does the lacquer last? Noisy or quiet? Just how bad is the misting (or to put it a nicer way, is the venting effective)? And is it comfortable?

Not asking specifically about the S800, just want to get an idea of Shark lids in general.

If it is decent, then I might just be generous and buy her one on the cheap at a show later in the year!

She loves it and if I need another helmet (ikely as I really dislike my HJC) I'll also be getting one.

Darkman
16th June 2006, 15:13

Is that the thing that clips inside the visor like the Arai helmets has? Pm Sparky Bills,hell be able to tell ya!

Lou Girardin
16th June 2006, 16:53

You can buy the Nolan system and fit it yourself.

Sparky Bills
16th June 2006, 17:40
Most Sharks come with an anti fog visor now.
Ive used Shark for a few years now, and dont see myself changing.
Good all round helmets.
I could go on and on, but wont. THEY ARE GOOD HELMETS!

Bob
17th June 2006, 02:07
Thanks for all the comments, the feedback is really appreciated and so I reckon the S800 Butterfly will be heading her way at the next show... which should be in time for Christmas - ooh, a cunning plan...

Interesting someone in there saying they don't get on with their HJC. I tried one for a few days and could not get on with it. It felt like the top of the helmet was pressing against my forehead. As it was only less than a week old (so the foam should not have taken on my head shape), I gave it to someone at work who really needed a new lid. And he gets on fine with it.

Shame, as I reckon it had the best venting I've had on a helmet.

Dafe
17th June 2006, 19:02
Come on Dafe, show us your collection :nya:

Okay, here are my Shark helmets.........
The Corser replica I brought for my wife. Too small for me.

Personally Bob, I wouldn't buy any model lesser than a shark RSX.
The S800 and S500 are the entry-medium level helmets. The shark RSX are just awesome. The RSR's about as good as the RSX protection wise, they are just more race oriented in the strapping system and the venting. The RSX is superstrong and quieter than the RSR's.
Pic 1) RSR2 Duhammel Replica. Pic 2) RSX Mythic. Pic 3) RSR2 Corser Replica. Pic 4) RSX Oxydium.

I LIKE SHARK HELMETS!!!!:doh:

pommiguy
7th January 2009, 13:03
I have been biking for 30+yrs and used allsorts of helmets including shoei, agv,bell, i have now owned shark helmets since 1998, i have found them to be the best, i.e most comfortable, well vented, light in weight with good wind noise reduction.My blackbird was recently hit from behind throwing me onto the road, the Shark did it's job well, no damage to the head or brain although the wife may disagree.

alley cat
7th January 2009, 13:17
Oh i have a shark rsx and its mint! And the dark visors for them are super dark.
Cooooooooooool:devil2:

vtec
7th January 2009, 13:22
I find Shark helmets fit my head brilliantly. See here.

Smashed my last one in a pretty horrible highside, split it down the back. But I was flying through the air backwards at over 100kph so i couldn't put my hands down, and landed arse first which whiplashed my head onto the ground, only a minor concussion. And a very sore body. And needing a fresh Shark helmet. Good enough for me.

Kiwi Graham
7th January 2009, 13:24
Bit of a highjack here........but does anyone know who are agents for Shark Hemets in Auckland? My Mrs has one but has lost a side 'pod' for it.
when she used it she loved it and would like to have it fixed.

shaymas
9th January 2009, 19:01
i have a sr500 troy rep brought 2 years ago :2thumbsup good but front air vent broke :mad:and came off about 3 weeks ago so is still a good helmet :banana: i would buy another one :2thumbsup

Wingnut
9th January 2009, 19:06
I have read an article in a MCN magazine and there were Shark skid lids that rated better (safety rating) than my $900 Arai.

Cant be all that bad.

NOMIS
9th January 2009, 19:09

I got the newest rs2r - rrp $999 but bloody worth it best helmet ive put on my head ever :D

Magua
9th January 2009, 19:17
I find that mine is terrible at reducing wind noise, but oh well I shall replace it soon.

PrincessBandit
11th January 2009, 21:16
I've got an RS2. light as all hell. Really quiet to. And thier prices are coming down. You can get a decent one for about $600 and a cheaper but still really good one for about $300.

I'll be getting another one when I get rid of the banana rama lid.

I also have the RS2 and absolutely love it. Katman should be able to answer any questions about Sharks for you.

jer66
21st January 2009, 22:39
I have an rsx and love it. It never fogs up on me. I have tried to fog it up and it hasnt and that was on one very cold day on thie rock.

Toast
22nd January 2009, 07:46
I find that mine is terrible at reducing wind noise, but oh well I shall replace it soon.

Try an RSF3 then, one of the quietest helmets around

I wear Sharks ‘cos they actually justify their top-end helmets by putting their design philosophy out there. Not like the rest that just say: “Here’s a helmet, it’s made of expensive shit and some GP star gets paid to wear it, so it must be good.”

Tank
22nd January 2009, 08:11
Bit of a highjack here........but does anyone know who are agents for Shark Hemets in Auckland? My Mrs has one but has lost a side 'pod' for it.
when she used it she loved it and would like to have it fixed.

Cycletreads will be able to help you there.

I own a RSR2 and love it. Comfortable, well made and secure. The 3mm thick visor makes you feel 'safe'.

Would happily buy another.

Keep an eye ou for specials. RRP is $998 but I managed to get mine (new - not a shop floor model) for $500 :woohoo:

celticbhoy
22nd January 2009, 10:12
Yep another vote for Shark. Have an RSX and very good helmet with good vents, quiet and a good field of vision. Thick visor does feel safer.