PDA

View Full Version : Bike Alarms

SpankMe
14th April 2003, 22:31
I've never felt the need to put an alarm on a bike because I don't really worry about it being stolen. I have always assumed that it was just Harleys and British bikes that got pinched.

Do bikes get nicked much?

twistymover
15th April 2003, 03:57
I've never had a bike stolen, but I've had the odd fuel cap and mirror pinched and the instruments smashed- the precks!

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2003, 06:34
Really? your kidding... Instruments smashed?  thats a little personal... You have many people that would prefer you worse-off money wise?
Everybody is now my best friend :)  wow i have never had anything, but my old man is always going on about how they will nick my 250 or 400 if i dont put the big massive lock thingy through the backwheel/swingarm, he reckons 2 big guys will come along with a van and just lift it into the back and bye bye bike.. :/ i can understand it i spose, but nobody wants bikes these days do they? only motorcyclists and it seems all the unwanted ones have been weaned out?

SPman
15th April 2003, 07:53
Oh yes, bikes do get stolen! I had a Ducati GT750 nicked in '79 - uninsured at the time! I was lucky - it was recovered 2 months later - no fairing - spray painted matt black with an aerosol can, then dumped in the bush at the back of Orewa.

New bikes as well - although these seem to be to order - Haldanes - Duc. 916SPS,955 race bike and YZ400F traily, Colemans  - MV Augusta , etc etc.

My mate keeps his 955 Daytona in a steel  lined shed with a chain through the frame, imbedded in large concrete blocks and all locks concealed.

But then, he does live out West.........:done:

bluninja
15th April 2003, 09:31
Alarms, what a waste of space....unless YOU are able to hear them going off. So many people have badly fitted alarms on cars that are always going off, or forget to disarm them as they open the trunk they mostly get ignored. In the UK MAG (motorcycle action group) staged a mock theft of an alarmed chained bike in a busy high street.....some guys just came alonng and picked the bike up and put it into a transit van with it's alarm sounding and nobody did a thing to stop them all call the police. And as for immobilisers....what good are they when your bike is lifted into the back of a van to be worked on at leisure in some other place.

Having said that I lock front and rear of both bikes and chain them together in an alarmed room at home, and the bike is never parked out front of the house. I guess it's all those years in England where there were so many thefts......and you couldn't insure a big bike without alarm/immobiliser and agreeing to lock it in a garage overnight. Out and about I use a disc lock, just to deter the opportunist.

TTFN

MikeL
15th April 2003, 10:45
When I bought my bike (cost $4000) I bought a chain and padlock, and used it for a week or so until I got tired of the hassle, especially after trying to move off once forgetting the chain was there. Ouch! Realized before long that noone was likely to be interested in stealing a 13 year old CB400 anyway. Besides, I only ever leave it in reasonably safe places e.g. Aotea carpark, with video surveillance etc. that would probably deter the opportunist or vandal. When I get my new Bonnie, on the other hand...:cool:

Skunk
15th April 2003, 11:11
I have an alarm fitted (that I hardly ever use) and use a disc lock the rest of the time. I know two people personally that have had bikes stolen in the last few years. CBR600 and a Daytona. Both were disc locked. The CBR outside a supermarket and the Daytona from a public garage at his work.

PS: What do YOU do when an alarm goes off?

Coldkiwi
15th April 2003, 12:09
I agree... nice to have.. but unless its a flasher version where it pages you (now THAT is useful) then its probably as much use as a disco ball. I like the B-king's alarm that pages you and provides a speaker so you can scream blue murder at the bastard messing with your bike!

I did get my 250 busted into at Uni. It had a disc lock on it (bright yellow but apparently hard to see!) and after the dickhead cut/corkscrewed the ignition out (that has GOT to look suspicious) he started it with a screw driver and stalled it when the disc lock caught. The prick then left the lights on so it was also flat when i returned... but at least it was still there

Kwaka-Kid
15th April 2003, 19:09
hahaha! well i dont have particularily wanted bikes, maybe my GPZ 750turbo? or the Z1R Turbo? or the other bikes, meh who knows, but i keep them in a WELL safe shed, i fit 7 bikes into, its gotta massive heavy sliding door with a massive hardcore oldskool chubb lock on it :) they are as safe as there, and any noises outside my bedroom window... all i have to do is open thefront door and let the dog lick you to death :P hahaha.

But back in 1979 bikes were more wanted, and everybody could ride SPman, nowadays who does a fair bit of the theft? its the youth right..? and about 99% of us cant ride, and i spose in your guys eyes the altho the other 1% get on bikes and get around, its debatable that we actually can Ride properly :P hahaha :)

Fanx Berry Mush :)