PDA

View Full Version : VMCC Rd 2 report 17.06.06

dss3
17th June 2006, 21:48
Well the fact that I am probably the first to write anything up here doesn't bode well, seeing as how I am back home so early.

Will keep it to the point for those who may be interested, basically i'm really pissed off with myself.

Obvsiously weather was really shitty, lots of rain, hail and wind. Was my first time riding on 'wets' and so began very tentatively, went out with supersport qualifying and had everyone flying past me, started to feel a bit more confident towards the end, but still pretty dispondent about lack of pass / confidence on tyres.

Went out in superbike qualifying and started to push a little more each lap, I can't believe how fast you can go on wets! Was almost laughing to myself, it is quite sureal going at that speed with puddles of water everywhere. Was starting to feel more confident, however didn't get a full clear lap in, and felt I could still improve. Imagine my suprise when I was told I had qualified in pole. I was pretty stoked.

My big thing now was just not to crash, after seeing a couple of mates do just that. Got an OK start and held first place, although was challenged by John on a CBR1000 on first lap. Then Ross King got ahead of me, and got about a 1.5 sec lead on me, however I was holding the gap, and felt pretty comfortable. Then we started coming up on backmarkers which was pretty nerve racking with the speed differential and poor visibility. Anyway on lap 7 or 8 I lost the rear end exiting hairpin in middle of lap and lowsided and slid along the track. So fucking pissed off and dissapointed with myself. Bent my LH clipon and broke gear lever, (if anyone knows where to try for one of these im all ears, need for this coming weekend) so that was day over. Pack up and go home.

On the brightside, which i'm struggling to find right now, I did have my first taste of riding on wets, and learnt a lot from that. I am also now trying to win / top 3 position in races, and it was only about 3 months ago the thought of racing in Superbikes made me laugh.

Guess this is all the highs and lows of racing eh.

Thanks as always to those that help me out, Quasimoto, Waikato Yamaha, and work. Oh and cowpoos for ya help too ta.

Daryl

Motoracer
17th June 2006, 22:02
Firstly, great fuckin job on Qualifying Pole! W00T! I'll buy you a beer next time I see ya for that! :rockon:

Crashes always suck. When it's financially straining specially or when you have a serious physical injury. It can really crush your spirits... But from what I hear, the bike ain't bad and you'r alright. Like you said, it's only just your very first few races and pretty much your first race in the wet with wets!

I don't wana praise you too much and make your head go big but mate. When I say, you've got something special.. I mean it. Stick with it and don't let these minor dissapointments get you down.

If you keep at it for long enough, you'r gonna go places. :first:

P.S. Wana know what's the funniest thing? That tag team rule of team muppet crashes. LMFAO!!!

You in Manfield, Then Bruce in Manfield, You in Taupo, Then Bruce in Taupo, You in Manfield... (Hopefully it ends there for Bruce's sake! lol)

Sketchy_Racer
17th June 2006, 22:28
Wicked on qualifiying on pole mate :2thumbsup:

Not so wicked on the crashing :no:

Cheers for the write up ;)

cowpoos
18th June 2006, 09:46
You were fuckin awesome out there bro!!!! awesome start...and loved the way you gave john on the cbr1000rr the big get the fuck outta my way in to the left hand esse...bloody honda's...shame about the bin...coz you were flying!! It awesome to see you out there on a bog standard road bike against the race bikes and qualifying pole...getting the shotgun!!! and leading for a few laps then settlingin to second...awesome shit!!!

ajturbo
18th June 2006, 10:45
bummer about the off.... but if you were "suprise" to set pole, what the hell will happen next time????
but the racing was increidable in the condtions.... you were flying!:scooter:
you must have known about the hail that was to come .... :blip:

Shaun
18th June 2006, 10:50
I don't wana praise you too much and make your head go big but mate. When I say, you've got something special.. I mean it. Stick with it and don't let these minor dissapointments get you down.

If you keep at it for long enough, you'r gonna go places.

Could not agree more!! mate, you rode brilliant:blip: Stay focused and keep doing what you are doing

R6_kid
18th June 2006, 10:55
Rossi never said he was a bad rider, just a good one that made one too many mistakes, and that he would only truely be good when he had a rave with no mistakes.

Guess you're still learning but like shaun said, you must have something going for you if you are qualifying pole after your first ride on wets.

Gutted about the crash, but as ya know its happens to the best of us (see thats why i crashed too!).

Keep it up man, perhaps once you've ironed out these hiccups we can start converting the masses to the darkside that is Yamaha.

Toast
18th June 2006, 10:58
Damn Daryl, ya got skills, that's for sure. Pole in superbike and then having the goods in the race, that's awesome. Sounds like a good experience, despite the crash.

Marknz
18th June 2006, 12:11
Very impressive effort there fella... good to see you coming of pole and you were looking really good till the off. Keep your chin up and stay positive, the results will come in time.

Mental Trousers
18th June 2006, 13:36
Could not agree more!! mate, you rode brilliant:blip: Stay focused and keep doing what you are doing

I think he means the go fast bit, not the crashing bit. Good onya Dazza

vtec
18th June 2006, 15:36
Nice riding man. Still, I think I've said before, racing in the rain feels like playing russian roulette. You were by no means the only one to go down, in fact in my first race on the day, there were only 13 finishers from 18 starters. That's quite a high attrition rate.

I'll catch you at the next meeting (not on the track though).

sAsLEX
18th June 2006, 18:40
Some pics would be good proving your not the one in to the pies and dubbos!

dss3
18th June 2006, 20:08
Some pics would be good proving your not the one in to the pies and dubbos!

lookie... different leathers and bike :-)

R6_kid
18th June 2006, 22:14
lookie... different leathers and bike :-)

R1 for teh win, maybe next time eh bro?

sugilite
18th June 2006, 22:40
Great Job in qualifing man!
Sux about the crash, but one has to find the limits when starting out. Those conditions were near impossible on any bike yet alone a big bore!
See you next round, bring some bloody sunshine along why your at it!

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 22:50
Fuck your a Muppet... You see me crash and think.... "Geez that looks like fun, ill do what Chris did..."

Wicked stuff mate :niceone: You were flying!!!

loosebruce
18th June 2006, 22:50
Told you it was your turn :nya: Bahahahahaha