PDA

View Full Version : RG100!! Race Report VMCC round 2

Sketchy_Racer
17th June 2006, 22:41
Actrix VMCC Round 2

Well, what a wonderful day eh? !!!
The weather could have been a far better state than what we had today, It was raining, raining some more then hailing!! Yep racing in the hail. How much fun can ya have!.

The Trip There
This weekend I was lucky enough to score a ride with my parents which were going to come along and watch. I was really excited about having my Mum and Dad there.
I don’t know what it is about having your parents watching, but it makes me feel ‘cooler’ . Anyways, here I am sung as a bug in a rug. Until I get out of the car. Hmmm I don’ think the tires are going to get much heat in them today.!

Scrub In Session

I don’t know how or why I ended out there. I wasn’t supposed to be. I think it was because I saw all the 150 guys there. But ah well all good just some extra track time. While I was at the gate someone points out that clutch lever been snapped off even though it was filed smooth. The steward came over and had a look. Nope he said. But by the time I had found a clutch lever and started removing all the grips etc, I had missed the qualifying/practice. Yay now I get to start dead last on the grid. Never mind it's happened, so I just have to deal with it.

Practice
- Non Existent –

But I did get to go around chatting to a few guys. I forget their names now.

Race One.

Well there I am. In the wet. In last place.

Man was I excited or what! (Note sarcasm) I let everyone grid up in front of me, so that way being at the back, I could look for the straightest route through if I were to get a good start. Some guys fart about sorting there grid places. I take time then just to calm my nerves so I don't do anything silly. Which is really easy to do in the wet.
Green flag up, Full throttle, Green flag down - WOOSH - oh yeah I got the start I had been wishing for. Blasted past the group like they were standing still..…..YAY I was in third place. Not too bad from the back. Not to last long though as shortly after Eamon Timms (MOTOXXX) passed me. Bugger I could not keep up with him. I wasn't going very well in the wet. Vtec and Neil Chappell ran away and fought each other…. Half a lap ahead of me…. While I enjoyed the peace just doin' my thing I watch Eamon fall off in front of me. Bugger I think….. hmm hang on that just got me back into third place. ALL RIGHT!!
I was happy I was in third. But I did not want the same fate as he did. I looked behind me and saw a big enough gap. Out comes nana mode. I kept a close eye on the guy behind me. I wanted to get this third place. At the end he was catching up. But it didn't matter only one lap to go. Don't bin it on the last lap. I didn’t and managed a third place. I'm really happy with that. Considering I started last on the grid to get to third place. Vtec won that race. Congrats man :niceone:

Race Two
Same thing again. I'm still at the back of the grid. But I know I can get a good start. I use the same tactics as before eyeing up the gap at the back. I quite like starting from the back now. It seems to work well. I got into fourth place after this start. I felt a lot more confident in the wet now even though it was actually colder and wetter now (if that’s possible) I was able to hang on to the back of Eamon Timms for the race. I was going to through it up the inside of him a couple of times. But I decided not to. He is not a threat in points, and I wanted to make it home in one piece. I could out brake him, but he was faster on the exit of the turns. I just couldn’t get the same exit as he could. I enjoyed that race. I had a few little slides during the race but nothing that was too upsetting. Came home in fourth. Happy as a happy thing. Once again starting from the back making it in to the top five. *hi fives myself*

Once again congrats to Vtec who took the Win

Conclusion

At the end of the racing I went and talked to a few guys and talked up the shit. Got home pretty smartly.

Downer for the day: getting home and comparing lap sheets to find that I had gone slower this time in the rain than last time.

Thanks to

The Juggins for the Bikes
Active Labelling ( yet to be stickered on the bike)
Mum and Dad. For getting me to the track
And all the brave soldiers that were stupid enough like me to get out on the track.
Good stuff guys,

-Glen :scooter:

Ivan
17th June 2006, 22:48
Thats allright like to see the pic of my bike and see the thanks you give us shame bout no qualifying aye!!!!!

You and Daniel in turn 1 race 2 elbow to elbow lol:rockon:

Bert
17th June 2006, 22:49
Great write up Glen, pitty about the qualifying. but a good result anyway. keep it up.

Bert

Sketchy_Racer
17th June 2006, 22:51
Thanks guys

Shame about you bike Bert.

Just as it was starting to look pretty :no:

Bert
17th June 2006, 22:53
Shit happens, at lease i went back out and got some points in the next race, all be it last.

Ivan
17th June 2006, 22:55
Shit happens,

You learnt something from me today Bertross

Motoracer
17th June 2006, 23:42
Nice going mate! Bad luck about not getting to qualify but oh well.

So how did you manage to stay ahead of Texmo, if he was quicker? Was he just inconsistant or what? I'm just going by the best times in the sheet. Texmo is Aaron btw.

texmo
17th June 2006, 23:52
I did like a 1:52 or something for my first lap then a 1:47 I think... then my lap times went down, I also didnt do a very good launch it took me all of pratice and the first race and the first two laps of the second race to get my lines by then the race was over... I found it really hard in the wet since its the 6th time I have ridden a bike in 6 months. I already know how I can save a few more seconds and I have a list of stuff I have written down for each corner because I did so many things wrong. I lost a lot of time from coke-a-cola to the infeild hairpin. I did pretty shit really but next time I will do better I just wasnt getting into my grove today.

Sensei I left a message on your phone im bringing around chris's bike tomoro some time ok? and I need to take my bike into the shop as its leaking oil from two places and the clutch was slipping really badly.

btw nice racing RG and congrats to vtec for taking out the win with some very nice consistant lap times

Motoracer
17th June 2006, 23:59
Sensei I left a message on your phone im bringing around chris's bike tomoro some time ok? and I need to take my bike into the shop as its leaking oil from two places and the clutch was slipping really badly.

Don't be too hard on yourself young grass hopper. I'm proud of your efforts. Well done for getting pole in qualifying. All the odds were against you and you did well. :first:

I'll speak to you tomorrow for a thorough verbal report on how the day went.

Racey Rider
18th June 2006, 08:34
While I was at the gate some dickhead decides to have a bitch about my clutch lever been snapped off even though it was filed smooth. The steward came over and had a look. Nope he said. (Thanks to the dick head who knows who they are) But by the time I had found a clutch lever and started removing all the grips etc, I had missed the qualifying/practice. Yay now I get to start dead last on the grid. Never mind it's happened, so I just have to deal with it.

Well,, That said 'Dickhead' would be Me I guess.
It did Not look very smooth on the end to me,, nor the steward obversely.
I pointed it out just as much for Your safety, as My safety, and everyone else out on the track with you. If someone else had seen it, I would hope they would have pointed it out too. Read the rule book: Chapter 10, 10-9 ... the outer end of such levers to be securely fitted with a rounded knob or ball of not less than 19mm in diameter.

Plus the fact that straight after that session I went round trying to find you with a Spare lever I had to see if I could help you sort it out. Bert, Ivan and his brother saw me doing this and can verify that. Sorry I didn't recall who's bike it was, and didn't find you after looking all around.

Sorry this affected your Day,, but it was a issue that needed to be sorted for the safety of all.
See you next time.
Racey.

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 10:25
Well,, That said 'Dickhead' would be Me I guess.
It did Not look very smooth on the end to me,, nor the steward obversely.
I pointed it out just as much for Your safety, as My safety, and everyone else out on the track with you. If someone else had seen it, I would hope they would have pointed it out too. Read the rule book: Chapter 10, 10-9 ... the outer end of such levers to be securely fitted with a rounded knob or ball of not less than 19mm in diameter.

Plus the fact that straight after that session I went round trying to find you with a Spare lever I had to see if I could help you sort it out. Bert, Ivan and his brother saw me doing this and can verify that. Sorry I didn't recall who's bike it was, and didn't find you after looking all around.

Sorry this affected your Day,, but it was a issue that needed to be sorted for the safety of all.
See you next time.
Racey.

Sorry racey,

I apoligise about my negativeness towards teh situation.

I understand that it was a saftey issue. But at the time i was so fustrated.

Next time ill learn not write the race report when i am still a little pissed. Cause i really dont want to offend any one.

Please forgive my ignorance.

- Glen

bladez
18th June 2006, 10:34
con grats to ya rg100 for having a good day :yes: and to Racey Rider for taking the time to try and help a fellow rider :yes: so to every one who raced a big CONGRATS for racing in the crap

Madness
18th June 2006, 10:37
Good onya Glen!!!

Sorry I didn't make it up to spectate, I like the colour blue, but not on my balls.:cold:

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 10:44
Nice going mate! Bad luck about not getting to qualify but oh well.

So how did you manage to stay ahead of Texmo, if he was quicker? Was he just inconsistant or what? I'm just going by the best times in the sheet. Texmo is Aaron btw.

Thanks mate. Yep i think i was just consistent with my lap times. all of them were within half a second. I was slowly getting faster each lap..... a little bit

btw nice racing RG and congrats to vtec for taking out the win with some very nice consistant lap times

Thanks man. Will we be seeing you there next time?

con grats to ya rg100 for having a good day and to Racey Rider for taking the time to try and help a fellow rider so to every one who raced a big CONGRATS for racing in the crap

Thanks dude. And your right about racing the crap weather. My hands are still cold!!

Good onya Glenn!!!

Sorry I didn't make it up to spectate, I like the colour blue, but not on my balls.

Thats sweet man. I was supprised how many brave peps did venture out to come watch though!!

R6_kid
18th June 2006, 11:05
good stuff guys, nice to see vtec continuing his winning ways. And congrats to texmo too, for finishing without crashing and running 'atleast midfield' like he had hoped... really not a bad effort considering how long you've been off bikes, never ridden the track, and have shit all confidence in the wet. Gotta start somewhere aye.

Hopefully i will get to have a thrash with you guys at somestage, i know vtec is gonna kick my ass in F3 when i get out there, perhaps the rest of you in the top 3 positions should get out in f3 aswell?

Toast
18th June 2006, 11:39
Don't be too hard on yourself young grass hopper. I'm proud of your efforts. Well done for getting pole in qualifying.

Damn Tex, ya didn't tell me you got pole...awesome stuff.

RG100, from your timing sheets it looks like everyone was a bit slower compared to last time, so don't sweat it :)

Bert
18th June 2006, 11:43
Damn Tex, ya didn't tell me you got pole...awesome stuff.

RG100, from your timing sheets it looks like everyone was a bit slower compared to last time, so don't sweat it :)

I think vtec got pole ????

texmo
18th June 2006, 12:23
Depends on how much money I have Glen as it costs me quite a bit to come down and pay for racing.
I am still not sure weather the money is worth it yet as its about the same cost as doing 4 or 5 coroloops...

texmo
18th June 2006, 12:35
And congrats to texmo too, for finishing without crashing and running 'atleast midfield' like he had hoped...

I had hoped to finnish a lot better but that is life, It just took me so long to get used to the track and get my lines sorted I know next time in the wet I will be able to do 1:43's easy.
I have printed out a picture of the manfeild track and have found 15 misstakes I made during the race on each corner consistantly I will be able to fix these when I go down for the trackday on firday as I have friday off so I am gonna drive down. I am gonna go over the lines ect I took again as there are a lot of things I know I have missed that I did wrong. My biggest problem was going to slow when other werent around me and exiting coke-a-cola to the hairn pin was the section of the track where I made the most errors, I didnt leave coke wide enough and wasnt getting on the gas eairly enough then drifiting out of the corner setting myself up for splash, I was entering splash to early and not going deep enough before I turned buggering up my next corner before the hair pin. I was coatsing along from splash to the hairpin with out being hard on the gas and changing up a gear. I was going to shallow in the hair pin as well. I wasnt getting the bike over enough on splash. Thats about 1/3 of what I did wrong just from coke to the infeild hairpin so I have a LOT to work on. Basically I am really dissapointed with my self not for my position but with my lap times and my preformance. I know I can do a lot better and I will next time. I just was making to many errors and not pushing the bike enough.

vtec
18th June 2006, 15:13
Good stuff RG, getting from last on the grid to 3rd at the finish was awesome in the conditions.

Tex... stop beating yourself up man, you should have seen how slow I was going in the wet at the last meeting. If (like me) you'd never really pushed hard in the wet, you don't know how far you can leave your braking points, and you don't know the best way to attack each corner. I found that having both the streetstock and F3 practice was invaluable to me, and without the extra practice, I may not have taken out the first race. So for your first race meetings the conditions were like a very cold and wet baptism of fire, I reckon you're capable of a podium finish in the dry, so just wait till next round, we're due for some nice weather then. Also, I'm impressed with how much you are putting into analysing your racing, this much lets me know that you aren't going to let finances get in the way of racing.

I'll have my write up done in a couple of hours, cause I'm going to do a bit of reading first before I get on to my novel.

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 15:18
Cheers Vtec,

Oh,

It better be a good novel to read :niceone:

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 15:41
there are a lot of things I know I have missed that I did wrong

It's not that you did wrong,

It's that you didn't get it just right.

There is no such thing as wrong in racing, just not quite right.

Motoracer
18th June 2006, 19:09
I had hoped to finnish a lot better but that is life, It just took me so long to get used to the track and get my lines sorted Basically I am really dissapointed with my self not for my position but with my lap times and my preformance. I know I can do a lot better and I will next time. I just was making to many errors and not pushing the bike enough.

Grass hopper, we need to talk. Come around my place when you can.

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 21:23
RG100, from your timing sheets it looks like everyone was a bit slower compared to last time, so don't sweat it

Yes. But i would still have liked to at least gain a second. I was waaay off the pace of the two front guys

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 22:18
Good stuff on the racing mate :niceone: Having a good dice with Neil :niceone: Gutted MotoXXX crashed...

sugilite
18th June 2006, 22:36
Great race report RG!
Also very pleasing to see the attitude you guys are showing at this stage in your race careers. Racing in NZ is begining to look up IMHO!

Take it from an old crustie, you never stop learning in this game, and rare is the day you are totally satisfied with everything you did on the track, but hey, thats what makes it so much fun! :rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
19th June 2006, 20:27
It seemed to be a bad day from the start.

the bike got dropped off the trailer loading up.... Damn (broken clutch lever)

Then when we got to the track we had lost the key. and when we did break into the petrol tank we filled it to the brim as it was a bitch to re-open.

But... I can't wait till next round.

Hopefully ill be going a bit better in the wet and if its dry im gonna go super hard!!!

Coyote
19th June 2006, 20:31
Damn... Hail. That would've been fun. I missed out

Ah well. Earnt 50 bucks on Saturday. Thats next months entry fee :D

Sparky Bills
20th June 2006, 09:34
Good stuff dude. Too bad about your little lever issue.