PDA

View Full Version : VTEC VMCC Round 2 report

vtec
18th June 2006, 17:52
Hi all and sundry. Welllllll, in the days up to the second round of the VMCC racing meetings, the weather reports were not looking good, TV3 kept showing us a couple of those blue coloured fronty things that were going to be moving over Palmy just about the right time for me to be racing. And you know what? They got it right.

Packed up and left home by about 9.30am on the Friday, spent the day driving, and got to the motel at about 5pm, so it was already getting dark, and it was bloody freezing. Still I'm trying to get fit for the summer athletics season, so I put on my slightly water resistant jacket and went for about a 30 minute run. Seriously there's nothing better than a bit of a run the night before a race. I find it helps me sleep a lot better, and it helps me loosen up the body after a day sitting on my arse in the van.

Luckily my dad had booked a unit at the raceway court motel with a separate room on it this time, so I was going to be guaranteed a reasonable sleep with only muffled snoring noises coming from the next room. But I ended up watching the end of the 'Troy' movie, cause I was feeling too tired to get up and turn it off until the end. Was only about 11pm, but dad wanted us to get to the track by about 7am, to see if we could get some shelter in the stables to pit in.

Woke up at about 6.15 by dad. Didn't even have time for a wake up shower, so I just went to the bathroom to splash some approx 4 degrees C water on my face... that did the trick, felt a lot more awake after that. Chucked some cereal down the throat, brushed the teeth, and threw all the gear in the van. Made it to the gates about 7am, and there was already a decent queue to get in. Now we know it's get there at 7am, or you're out in the elements, unless you can get someone to save you a half a stable.

Unloaded the black beauty (my little CBR), I finally got some new fairings for it, so I was no longer going to be racing it naked, and they are currently in pristine condition, cause we got a shiny black paint job done on it. Beautiful. Still, didn't want to take it out and wreck them in my first meeting, which is what I had done after dad had bought me a brand new windscreen, that had got smashed after about 1.5 practice laps out Taupo.

Texted Texmo to let him know I had some room in the stable for his bike right next to mine. Texmo rocks up with his dad, and gets the bike set up. We do a few minor things to get our bikes ready, his number's had blown off his bike on the way down, so he had to put twink on instead.

The scrub in session was called up, I didn't go out in it, cause I decided that I would adjust my chain and check my oil before the Streetstock practice session. Straight afterwards, was the Streetstock practice, was a bit nervous, cause I knew that Neil Chappell was a bloody legend in the wet, but I had gotten into racing with the idea that there was no reason that anybody should be faster than me if I just follow their lines. I had started to think that maybe that didn't apply to wet nearly freezing conditions. I was still going to give it a shot though. I was going into this wet meeting with a completely different mentality from the previous wet race that we had at Manfeild in which I had come 3rd, for some reason I felt no fear about the slippery surface. Must have been that last time it was only a couple of weeks after I had come off in the wet at Taupo chasing F3 bikes.

Anyway, the 125's and Streetstocks are let out onto the circuit, a few of them take off pretty swift down the pitlane with the intent to get some clear road, a few of the Streetstocks get between me and Neil, and I'm loath to pass them back down the pit straight, cause it's not the best place to start playing those games. So we spill out onto the circuit, and I could see Neil a couple of bikes up ahead get into his groove at the first bloody corner, MotoXXX (Eamon) was right on Neill aswell. So I followed them around for most of the practice about a couple of seconds behind them the whole time. RaceyRider (Alex) came up my inside on the midfield lefthander, I take quite a wide line there, but I'm always slower than the 150's on the exit anyway, but I got him back on the straight. Kept it nice and smooth and as safe as possible. Fingers really started to freeze, cause the gloves that I had just bought off Quasi from DSS3 were quite thin with no padding which I really like to race in, but just not suited to the conditions. Brought it home upright, and got some good wet track practice. Still got left behind by Neil and Eamon. Got hold of the results, and was satisfied to see myself on the front row of the grid in 3rd place, my best time was nearly 3 seconds slower than Neil and Eamon, but I was in a good position to see if I could stick with Neil in the race.

Went out in the F3 practice, and ended up following Eamon around, this times I was feeling a lot more confident, and was able to stick with him for most of the practice, I bunged up a corner and he got away from me, but I maintained the gap, and I felt that I was going a lot faster than in the Streetstocks practice, was getting the tail of the bike sliding on throttle a bit on some corners, but still felt pretty safe. This second practice session was a big boost to my wet confidence.

Didn't have too long between the F3 practice, and our first 15 lap streetstock race, but still went round and talked to a few of the dudes. Spoke to a mildly annoyed RG100 (Glen), he'd missed the practice/qualifying, and would be starting from the back of the grid. He was going to have to work some wonders in these races to keep his points chase intact.

vtec
18th June 2006, 17:54
We lined up at the gates to the track, and it was pissing down, quite a few of the bikes crowded under the footbridge at the entry to the circuit to avoid the rain. After a while they let us out onto the track, we headed round the warm up lap pretty hard, as we needed to get any heat that we could into the tyres. Lined up on the starting grid, and there was a bit of a muck up, but most of us, apart from Alex, ended up in our rightful spots. The grid marshall held up the red flag as they retired from the track, the red was lowered as the green was lifted. We all started revving our engines. The green flag dropped, and I let the clutch out easy to start with to get the wheels rolling (to avoid loss of traction) before I gave it a bit more clutch and throttle and nailed it away from my mark. I launched pretty well, but some crazy guy on a 125 GP bike came swinging across most of the width of the track, and cut me off, I had to back off the throttle, and get back on it again. Still I was in first place at the first corner in the streetstocks, Neil came around the outside of me on the first corner, and I followed him for a bit, but overtook him again down the straight after the left hander. For a few laps that was the situation, him taking me on the lefthander, and sometimes elsewhere, and me passing him down the straights. He's a big guy on a little bike, and I'm a comparatively little guy on a medium sized bike, so I've got a noticeable advantage on the straights, but he's so damn good on a wet surface I'll take any advantage I can get. As the race progressed I was getting a little more aggressive with my cornering with each lap, and I could tell I was getting faster. I was starting to slide the bike on power on the exits of most of the corners, just because of the little bumps here and there. Neil ceased coming past me, but I kept going a little bit faster each lap, braking a little bit later, and leaning a little bit further, sliding it a bit more often. About the halfway mark, I ran it quite wide coming onto the front straight, and hit the ripple strip, this threw my bike into the convulsions of a tank slapper, I still had the throttle pinned wide open, but as the bike was still bucking all over the place, I tried backing it off a bit, and it came right, looked back and noticed that Neil had closed up a bit after that incident. At about lap 10, I looked back, and I had opened up a very nice gap on Neil, and was feeling supremely confident on the wet track. I started to tone it down a little bit and just consolidate the points and not take as many risks. Cruised into the finish with a healthy 3.686 second lead over Neil. Was stoked to see that I had gotten the fastest lap of the race with a 1:37.871 which was about half a second quicker than Neil's best lap times, and I had quite a few laps in the 1:38 region.

Texmo came in a very respectable 5th, after starting at 8th on the grid in his first ever streetstock race. RG100 had clawed through to 3rd from the back of the pack from last on the grid, awesome. Found out later that MotoXXX had crashed out, rough luck.

Saw that Bert (Brent) had crashed out, and ran over to see if I could be anything other than an obstacle. He mostly had things under control though, and there was no integral damage to the ZXR, it had just collected a whole lot of smooth stones and mud from the gravel trap at the end of the front straight. He said that he hit a few bumps just as he jumped on the brakes at the end of the front straight, and the bike had just slid all over the place till it went down. Gutted. I think it was a pretty high speed one, cause he said it was not long after he had gotten on the brakes that it went down.

Went round and talked to RaceyRider, Rustys, MotoXXX, Neil Chappell, DSS3, RG100, Sugilite and HDTBoy. Also saw Twosmoker covered in mud, but he was still really pumped to have been out racing. He'd apparently been hauling arse too. It's part of the game when the weather's wet.

I decided not to run the F3 race, cause my bike had reverted to not running very well at revs lower than 10,000rpm, must be something wrong with the carbs, cause I've checked or changed nearly everything else. Also, it had started absolutely pissing down, and I could feel the tendons in my left forearm were starting to play up due to heaps of rapid clutch use. Yeah, I'm a pussy. (But they are still buggered today). Went round and talked to heaps of different people. Filled the bike up with gas, rechecked the oil level, and the chain tightness, sorted.

Coming into the second race, the pressure was off, and the confidence was on, cause I now knew that the man could be beaten in the wet. Again followed some of the guys quite fast around the warmup, gave the bike a few squiggles to try and get some heat in the tyres. I don't think they would have got up past 25 degrees all day despite me running some slightly lower pressures. Formed up on the grid. Green dropped, and I got another good start, I don't seem to find the starts particularly taxing, and can consistently outlaunch the rest of the guys. I shoot to the front again, and settle into another good battle with Neil, I think the track was wetter in this race, cause I just started to lose a bit of confidence with the bike sliding a bit more than I would have liked, still kept up a reasonable pace, but nowhere near as good as in the first race. This one was shortened to six laps, and about half way I looked back and didn't see anyone, so I started to relax, and take it easy. Not long after this, a little red 125 buzzed past me on the straight, and I nearly overtook him on the brakes going into the corner before the backstraight, but I didn't know if he'd see me on his inside, so I went wide and swung in to get a good run onto the straight. Got neck a neck with him, but he very quickly outpowered me, but I was able to brake a lot later and carry more corner speed despite the fact he was running wets. However, I didn't get past, and so thinking that I was still well clear of the rest of the Streetstocks, I relaxed again, and let him get away rather than risking anything over chasing him. Soon after I thought that however, Neil dived up my inside into the left hander, I got him back on the straight, and broke reasonably late into the right hander before the back straight, and held him off. Still in front as we crossed the line, but I knew he was working on me, they had the white flag out. This put a bit of pressure on me, cause I knew Neil could still steal it from here, but I was going to make him work for it. I kept braking reasonably late, and he came up my inside on that lefthander again on the final lap, but again I got him back on the straight, and held the advantage around the sweeper before it tightened up onto the front straight, he didn't come past on the sweeper, but I knew he was bloody close, I think I could even hear his engine over mine (mine is pretty quiet thought, stock pipe and stock airbox on a 4stroke), but he never came past, and I had the legs over him on the straight to the finish. That was some serious fun.

Talked to Neil afterwards, he said that he was pretty annoyed that he didn't get me in that last race, but he was buzzing cause he enjoyed it so much. Nothing better than a good chase. If I wasn't there he would have been on his own. Racing is way more fun when you have people who are doing similar sort of lap times. Neil got the fastest lap time in that second race, and I was down 3 seconds from my first race. I'm pretty sure it must have been wetter, cause nearly everybody was slower. At least there were no crashes in the streetstock class in that second race. There were four DNF's in our first race.

Also got to meet MattRSK, and a bunch of other young fellow's. All in all, a very fun and exciting day. I enjoyed the racing much more than my previous wet race at Manfeild, probably because I'd had about a month's break from racing after the last round, and was just chomping at the bit to get out there. Also, got some much needed wet racing experience, with still plenty of room for improvement.

Top day, top people. Loving it. Can't wait for a dry one.

chanceyy
18th June 2006, 18:10
excellent write up .. thoroughly enjoyed reading it as much as you thoroughly enjoyed taking part

by the way blardy well done !!!!!

R6_kid
18th June 2006, 18:10
Brooooooooooo! Awesome stuff (im about to read it) but yeh, already knew you took out both races. Will have to mix it up some time in the summer series, or maybe towards the end of the winter series depending on when the FZR shows up.

Edit after reading: good stuff man, again looks as though you have that 'something' that differentiates the racers from the riders. Also the fact that you are able to critique yourself on nearly all the aspects your racing the day after the event, it's really good to see. Would have been down to cheer you all on and lend a hand had it not been for my exams tomorrow but i will do my best to make an appearence at the next round with or without a track ready bike. What can i say... good shit bro, keep it up. Guess you are going to have to sell the CBR at the end of the season and get yourself on a competitive 400/650 so you can have a stab at the F3 title.

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 18:48
Nice work man.

Hopefully i can get my Arse together and keep up with you and neil next round !!

texmo
18th June 2006, 19:49
Fuck vtec you can write a pritty good report you will have to do mine for me next time ok? what times were you doing in the dry btw I asked before but im a solly and I forgot it was about 1:3X right?

vtec
18th June 2006, 21:16
Thanks Chanceyy, appreciate it. Nice ass by the way.

Gareth, thanks man, yeah I'll only be doing the one season in Streetstocks, I'm planning on chasing some sponsorship before the end of the year to see if I can step up to F3 or F2, you really do have to rush these things, or before you know it, you're too old. I'm 23 at the moment, and am dissappointed that I left it so long, so if I want to take a racing career anywhere I'll have to step up fast.

RG, yeah man, get yourself back up to the front of the grid, and then you can mess with me again.

Well, Tex, my first race on Manfeild was a dry 6 lapper, and every single lap was in 1:31 (excluding the first due to the start). How's that for consistency. I also made quite a few mistakes, but I just made them consistently throughout the race in all sorts of different places. I overshot the hairpin big time, and still managed to get a 1:31 on that lap, so I'd definitely be hoping for well under 1:30's at my next dry meeting, that is if my engine is still up to it then.

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 21:20
Cant wait for a dry race.

I'm a bit of a optimist,

But i am aiming for a 1:27 in the dry and a 1:37 in the wet by the end of the season.

Thats gonna be hard

Quasievil
18th June 2006, 21:40
Fingers really started to freeze, cause the gloves that I had just bought off Quasi from DSS3 were quite thin with no padding which I really like to race in, but just not suited to the conditions.

Oh did you want the poofy ones with all the warm bits inside???
bloody poof, toughen up, them there gloves are mans racing gloves not namby pamby girly ones....................bloody honda riders

vtec
18th June 2006, 22:16
Haha, nope, I wanted the light thin ones with no padding. Just they weren't that waterproof. Would be great for a nicer day. I had a spare pair of "poofy" ones that I used later on, I just don't like to race in them usually cause I don't get quite as good a feel for the controls. Still seemed to go alright with them, and my hands stayed reasonably warm. But the ones you sold me are just what I wanted. A bit stiff mind you, but they'll loosen up with a bit of wearing.

Oh yeah, and Quasi, where were you. Too busy admiring your fancy pants duke to get the 400 down there :P

Sorry that was the best insult I could come up with.

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 22:21
Good stuff Vtec, you were looking real good out there, nice and smooth :niceone:

vtec
18th June 2006, 22:23
Good stuff Vtec, you were looking real good out there, nice and smooth :niceone:

Just like the doctor ordered buddy, nice and smooth. Still not planning on getting the knee down in those conditions though.

sugilite
18th June 2006, 22:27
Well done Vtec!
It was good to meet you.
Great riding, you have a great attitude to go with that ability!:yes:

Sparky Bills
20th June 2006, 09:51
Still havnt met you!

You did well to stay ahead of Neil, but look out! He will be out for blood next round:innocent:

Racey Rider
20th June 2006, 17:56
I'll only be doing the one season in Streetstocks, ....
:woohoo: :clap: :banana: :spudflip::wari: :spudbooge :2thumbsup

I didn't relise on the day you had taken out Both races! Well done that Man!
I wish you well in F2 next year! :msn-wink:

vtec
20th June 2006, 23:40
Thanks Sugi and Racey
Really depends what kind of sponsorship I can get if it's F3 or F2 racey.