PDA

View Full Version : Two Smokers Race Report VMCC Rnd 2 06/06

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 20:45
Hey everyone,

Before I give the report, HUGE THANKS TO; Chloe for helping in the pits and paying for the accom :niceone: Nicko for taking us and some stuff down to Manfield and back. Shaun for dropping off the bike and helping in the pits. Texmo for taking my bike back to Auckland and Motoracer for storing it. Also to all those people that offered help, gave support and said hello... :niceone:

Well after a chat with Shaun and Trev, I decided to do VMCC Round 2 instead of a track day at Puke as I would learn more at the race day. It has been 3 months since my huge crash at Pukekohe, and I'm still on the road to recovery... For the first time ever, we arrived in Fielding BEFORE 8:30pm!!! So we got a decent sleep and were at the track feeling refreshed.

We got set up in the pits and I helped Nicko set up his bike and unloading the trailer. Once signed on, I waited for my bike to arrive.... Well with time running out, at 8:55am Shaun turned up with the bike. It was raining consistantly (with hail chucked in for good measure) so I didnt have to change the tyres over.

Qualifying F2: I went out there taking it nice and easy, bit hard to do when you are so nervous, and slowly upping the pace. I was feeling really comfortable and well within the bikes limits as well as mine... I had a couple moments... One on the back straight where I took the line to tight and had a seat of the pants moment as the front tyre aquaplaned and bars went full lock to the left, but I kept it pinned and all came right... And two braking for Higgins I went a bit deep and the back end got real light, next thing im backing it into the corner motoGP style, but without the skill... it didnt turn pearshaped, but just ran a little wide through the corner (its amazing the grip that wets have in the rain!!!) I was feeling really good out there and having a blast!!! Came back in to have a look at the times... STOKED!!! Qualifyed in third place 1.5 seconds behind Craig Sherrifs (second) and Ross King (Pole) and 0.5 seconds infront of Jason Hulme, and Jay Lawrence!!! With a best time of 1:24.445 which was my last lap.

Qualifying Superbike: Well I decided to up the pace as I was feeling comfortable and wanted to push a bit harder. Funnily enough, everyone else thought that too... Well I increased the pace all the time, and latched onto the back of Jay Lawrence. Everything felt good, and the session was over. Wasnt expecting anything to great as everyone had upped the pace. Had a look at the times and Qualifyed 6th!!! My new best time was 1:19.921, 0.2 seconds off Jay Lawrence (5th) and 0.7 seconds of Craig Sherriffs (3rd) and that too was my last lap.

Race 1 F2: Well now I was really nervous, my starts are always my weak point and I was on the front row, I knew I must have been doing something right when i saw Craig and Ross on my right and Jason and Jay on my left. Because it was raining, i didnt want to use too many revs and spin it up on the line. The marshall with the red flag walks away... Then the green flag drops.... WE ARE AWAY!!! Well everyone except me... I got a shocker of a start and about 10 bikes shoot infront of me. I pass a couple under brakes into turn one, and then another around the outside of turn 2. I pealed another couple under brakes into the hairpin, and sat behind Nicko. I then passed Nicko under brakes into the hairpin, and was now sitting in 5th place chasing Jason, I caught up heaps to Jason under brakes into Higgins and the sweeper, I came up the inside of him on the exit of the sweeper, and powered on earlier to pass him on the front straight. Everything is going well, and I'm feeling really comfortable and am pulling in Jay... Come out of splash, through the right and start braking for the hairpin, my foot slips (I think it was my foot) and I whack on full throttle while under brakes, the front came up a fraction, then I backed off, the front hit the ground locked up, and it was an instant lowside... Was absolutely gutted!!!! I went flying into the mud, as did the bike... I ran out of the way incase of other bikes crashing, check myself over, and I'm fine... Have a quick look at the bike, and the side fairing isnt looking too flash... All i can think about is "I hope I didnt scratch my new Arai..." (which luckily I didn't)

A marshall ran over and asked if I was ok, I told him I was sweet, so we went and moved the bike, which was caked in mud like myself. We get it out of the way. I gave it a quick check over, and see that the magneto cover is leaking oil :doh: I spent the rest of the race watching Ross King and Craig Sherrifs FLYING (they dipped into the 1:15's IN THE WET!!!) My new best lap time was 1:18.55 which was on my last lap... Big thaks to Rob (Torque) for pushing my bike back mate :niceone: Also big thanks to all the people that checked I was ok :niceone:

Well my race day was over, but I was happy to finally be out there again!!! I didnt get hurt much at all (bruised one of my ribs) and my shoulder is fine (which took the initial impact)... Was stoked that the last lap of every session I did was the fastest, showing I was constantly improving... I know there is heaps more in reserve, and can see 1:16's being possible in the wet...

Was wicked seeing Texmo, RG100!, vtec and Neil (cant remember your online name) doing so well in street stock. Also top stuff dss3 for carving up F1.

Bike will be fixed soon, and i will be down at the track day next weekend :niceone: And now you guys cant mock my leathers, as they are muddy and scrapped upped hehehe...

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 20:51
A photo of me on the front row... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34896&d=1150526574

And Torque pushing my bike back http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34965&d=1150571980

Sketchy_Racer
18th June 2006, 20:56
You were going good man..

Such a shame about the crash.... I tell ya.>.!!

I felt a little bit cautious when i came to introduce myself.. As i thought that you may be a little bit pissed about the crash..

Good to see you in good spirits.

Top stuff :niceone:

cowpoos
18th June 2006, 21:05
You were going good man..

Such a shame about the crash.... I tell ya.>.!!

I felt a little bit cautious when i came to introduce myself.. As i thought that you may be a little bit pissed about the crash..

Good to see you in good spirits.

Top stuff :niceone:
good shit ya tart.....and yer rite....the leathers are a marked improvement on how they first looked....lol....still not as good as bruces though!!

bugjuice
18th June 2006, 21:14
that sux..
but at least it was a blast before it went pear shaped!
all the best mate, shout if you need anything when you get back up here

vtec
18th June 2006, 22:09
That was a very aggressive come back to your racing career, pity about the crash, sounds like an unfortunate mistake. Still you took it like a champ. Keep on riding hard mate.

Oh, and would you believe it, I don't think Neil is even on the forums.

R6_kid
18th June 2006, 22:12
good to see you back out there man, give yourself the big learn in the winter series and come out fighting for AMCC and other rounds in the coming summer series.

Nice leathers too, didnt know you were a spidi hot chick too. :nya:

All good man, are your engine casing's machined or just stock standard ones? If you want i may be able to get you a machined one for the cost of material and a few beers.

Two Smoker
18th June 2006, 22:33
Well just went over to Motoracers... Most things should be sorted for the track day, but ive found that ive got a blown fork seal :doh: (dont know how the hell it happened, i dont pull wheelies) Also need to get the bike and my stuff down there... Time will tell...

That was a very aggressive come back to your racing career, pity about the crash, sounds like an unfortunate mistake. Still you took it like a champ. Keep on riding hard mate.

Yeah wasnt expecting it to be that big... It is the second time ive raced the 600, and the third time ive ridden it... Also first time racing on wets...

sugilite
18th June 2006, 22:46
Those conditions sucked alright, they punish the smallest snafu!
I found my foot slipping approaching the hairpin too, maybe it was from all that oil on the track!
Good to hear your OK and look forward to seeing you next meeting....in the dry!:yes:

loosebruce
18th June 2006, 22:57
Just one fork sela chris? I got a new one at home from my 1000, check if they're the same, i'll bring it too work 2moro anyway.
Bummer about your off though, but with those leathers it had to happen.
Find someone to buy my bike so i can kick it with ya's next round (er in the mud that is, me and poo's got a plan we do) I see sheriifs is still K5 mounted, what the story there, thought he'd have a K6 all rearing to go?

sil3nt
18th June 2006, 23:07
A photo of me on the front row... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34896&d=1150526574

And Torque pushing my bike back http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34896&d=1150526574Yah posted the same pic twice :nya:

Sorry to hear about your race. Do they show these races on the tele?

Kwaka-Kid
18th June 2006, 23:44
Rockin' Chris! Good to read about how quickly youve picked it up and already ahead of Jay etc, but very sorry to hear about the off!

As long as that shoulder is okay man thats the main thing!

cowpoos
19th June 2006, 00:00
er in the mud that is, me and poo's got a plan we do

speaking of which....where the fuck we gunna put the thermos???

texmo
19th June 2006, 00:19
Bike looks sweet, hope your gonna be ready for the weekend dude.
I get a thanks for bring the bike back but not for pulling fist sized chucks of grass and mud off it while my boots got filled with water???

Two Smoker
19th June 2006, 09:04
Yah posted the same pic twice :nya:

Sorry to hear about your race. Do they show these races on the tele?

Fixed for you mate :niceone: Nah the races arent telivised...

Two Smoker
19th June 2006, 09:05
Bike looks sweet, hope your gonna be ready for the weekend dude.
I get a thanks for bring the bike back but not for pulling fist sized chucks of grass and mud off it while my boots got filled with water???

Sorry... big thanks for Texmo helping me clean the bike... even though he got covered in water and mud heaps hehehe...

Two Smoker
19th June 2006, 09:42
Just one fork sela chris? I got a new one at home from my 1000, check if they're the same, i'll bring it too work 2moro anyway.
Bummer about your off though, but with those leathers it had to happen.
Find someone to buy my bike so i can kick it with ya's next round (er in the mud that is, me and poo's got a plan we do) I see sheriifs is still K5 mounted, what the story there, thought he'd have a K6 all rearing to go?

Ill see what happens with the fork seal... Sherriffs is on the K5 because he is waiting for fairings for his K6... But other than that, the K6 is ready... He also has a K6 1000 that might be seeing a bit of action...

loosebruce
19th June 2006, 09:44
... He also has a K6 1000 that might be seeing a bit of action...

Stink.......

svs
19th June 2006, 10:12
Great to see you back on the track again chris, shame it wasn't for quite as long as planned.

Craig's K6 was in the garage, when I walked by they were playing with the suspension, but still had the road fairing on.

Sparky Bills
19th June 2006, 14:23
Thanx for leaving that oil on the track mate!:blah:

Was good to see you walking and talkng after the bin. You sure put me in my place alright! (while actually racing that is)

Was good to catch up again.