PDA

View Full Version : I think its tune up time (any tips on how to do this)

FA50 rider
19th June 2006, 08:34
hi
my FA50 is bloging when i take off even when im riding along at about 35km/h
so i need to give it a tune, how to do a tune up is best i know abit about tuning before i start ae
please help
is here a web site that has info?
thanks johnnie

Motu
19th June 2006, 08:47
You need to clean out your muffler - drop it off and check the exhaust port first.It's no good just burning them out,the pipes and passages inside the muffler are small,and the big lumps of carbon dislodged will block them.I used to just cut the thing in half with a hacksaw - clean out with an oxy/acet torch...then weld together again.

FA50 rider
19th June 2006, 09:10
o ok but what if you dont have a welder?

Motu
19th June 2006, 09:40
I've heard Nead It is pretty good.

FA50 rider
19th June 2006, 10:52
is Nead It a place that you can take it to?

fozz rock
19th June 2006, 11:22
is Nead It a place that you can take it to?

no its like bog but better:blip:

FA50 rider
19th June 2006, 14:03
so what is nead it mean? also i have cleaned out the exhaust port and it has made a difference to the engine more power it seems to be. but still blog a bit wats goin on?

Motu
19th June 2006, 14:05
You have the information - stop bleating and use it!

Str8 Jacket
19th June 2006, 14:07
Knead-it is a product made by Selleys. You can buy it at Mitre 10 and such places. Its in a tube and you squeeze out as much as you need. In the middle it has epoxy (sp?) and something else around the outside of it. Basically once you get it out of the tube you need to keep kneading it into the shape etc that you want it to be once you stop kneading it it goes rock solid. I have an indicator casing made out of moulding its good stuff...

That was a "girls" explanation BTW...

skidMark
19th June 2006, 14:15
it could be your muffler bearings...

or your carburator tappets

give it a new powerband too available at all good bike shops

FA50 rider
19th June 2006, 14:47
it could be your muffler bearings...

or your carburator tappets

give it a new powerband too available at all good bike shops

ok i will start with the carburator tappets what do these look like? if im going to have a look at them what do i look for that could be wrong with them? also if i need new ones how much will they cost?
Powerband, not sure what a powerband is, what do they look like? and how much for a new one?
and to fix the muffler bearings, where abouts are they, are they in the muffler and also if i have to fix them will i have to cut my muffler in half?
thank you
johnnie

skidMark
19th June 2006, 15:04
was just taking the piss mate heres a serious answer.......

yes the exhaust could be part of your problem...

but firstly i would say get the carb jetting done.....the best way is to take it to a mechanic and tell them to clean the carb out for you and adjust the air/fuel mixture screw on the carb.

a mate of mine osed ot have one of these.....and it was having the same problem....check your airfilter is on properly and is clean if it is not refit it and make sure it is clamped up tight...see if that fixes it. not sure what you would use to clean the filter thats in it though...

ill try explain this as best i can...

if you don't want to pay a mechanic to do the jetting ....there are two screws on the carburator.

one will be in the middle below where the thorttle cable comes into the carburator....by the "slide" which is inside the carb so when the throttle gets opened the cable pulls the slide up (along with the needle to let fuel / air in.)

i don't think fa50's have a slide needle adjustment so we will just stick to the screws...

and the other screw will be staggered off to the side somewhere....and will be a goldish/ copper colour...

that screw is your air/fuel mixture .... turn it all the way in and count how many turns it was so if you have to later you can set it back to that....

don't turn it in too tight though or you will damage the needle...

now turn the screw out 540 degrees and that should be about right for it

tell me how you get on ..

Cheers: MA

Ixion
19th June 2006, 15:08
Mate, I'm not sure if you're serious or whether your reply is a really good pisstake of a pisstake.

But, least it be not, be aware that MarkAuckland is pulling your leg.

There are no such things as carburettor tappets, or muffler bearings and fitting a new powerband is an old joke.

I take it your machine is a two stroke. If so, the exhaust will become blocked in time, as Mr Motu has hinted.

You need to clean out the exhaust system. This is a difficult, very dirty and potentially dangerous job.

It can be done using an oxy-acetylene torch if you have one, or with caustic soda (which is VERY DANGEROUS). If you do a search on the site for "caustic" you will find previous threads on the subject.

You should also fit a new spark plug and clean or replace your airfilter.

If you are not confident of what you are doing you may be best to take the machine to a reputable bike shop.

skidMark
19th June 2006, 15:11
If you are not confident of what you are doing you may be best to take the machine to a reputable bike shop.

AMEN ........

Motu
19th June 2006, 15:34
I used to look after a rental fleet of these things,and owned one myself - apart from lard arses breaking spokes and the car licenced drivers producing many spills...the only problems I had were blocked exhausts.At certain times of the year mason bees would also block the exhaust with a clay wad....behind that was a lader of spiders.Apart from contaminated fuel,my first stop would be the exhaust.

Easy test - put your garden hose down the flange end and turn it on - what's the flow rate?

skidMark
19th June 2006, 15:58
ya clever bastard motu lol rep for being smart....

FA50 rider
20th June 2006, 17:25
I used to look after a rental fleet of these things,and owned one myself - apart from lard arses breaking spokes and the car licenced drivers producing many spills...the only problems I had were blocked exhausts.At certain times of the year mason bees would also block the exhaust with a clay wad....behind that was a lader of spiders.Apart from contaminated fuel,my first stop would be the exhaust.

Easy test - put your garden hose down the flange end and turn it on - what's the flow rate?

right i have done the water flow test and seems to all right the onle thing is at the end of the muffler (where it has been welded up) there is a crack about 5cm long and about 3-4 mm wide would this have some thing to do with the running not so well of my engine? also a was just riding it and its getting bad. when i open the throtle it just bogs, but sometimes i can get ti running but only to about 20- 30 km/h and then it bogs, i think its got something to do with the air/fuel mix, when it bogs its like its not getting any air or fuel. iam going back out to the shed after i have posted this to have a look at the carb thanks johnnie
o and i have another muffler but it has a crack in the pipe (not the muffler but the pipe) would this muffler be beeter?

FA50 rider
30th June 2006, 20:11
could i get some more info on this caustic soda like where to get it from

FA50 rider
30th June 2006, 20:22
my dad told me you get it from the supermarket for about 5-6$$ so i will get some tomorrow, do i just pour it down the pipe and is that it or is there more to it than that?