PDA

View Full Version : Another Mmmmm ride report

XTC
19th June 2006, 09:47
Mmmmm What An Adventure!!

Friday 16 June 2006
1:30pm

Left Waiuku and headed to Caltex Bombay to meet up with Cary. We then hit the highway and headed to hamilhole. Was raining steadily by the time we got to Hamilton. Made it through then set off for Rotorua. The rain eased a bit south of Hamilton and looked to be clearing as we headed down the Mamaku’s. Entering Rotorua the light began fading real fast and the rain started coming down in earnest. Gassed up in Rotorua then set off down S.H.5 to Clint’s family’s hunting hut just north of Reporoa. The track up to the hut was an adventure in itself as it was still raining and the light had almost faded fully. We slithered our way up the steep winding track to the top of the ridge where the hut was built in the early eighties.

We were met at the hut by Clint and we set about getting the fire started and getting out of our wet gear. Clint’s sister Claire joined us a little later on an XT225. Clint made an awesome spag bolog for dinner and a friend delivered a couple of frozen pizza’s in a 4WD. A few beers and a bit of a chinwag and it was time to hit the sack. I awoke a couple of times in the night to the sound of the wind roaring past the hut and the rain coming down in bucketfuls. I was sure we’d emerge in the morning to find the bikes laying on their sides or worse at the bottom of the gully but they were still standing when we ventured out from our bunks. Morning dawned clear and blue-ish as we lookedout over the surrounding mist. All dressed and packed we set off for pauls place in rotomahana. On the way down the hut track my XT spluttered and died…. Managed to get it fired up again but would not run above idle. Suspected a fuel starvation problem so switched from the auxiliary tank to the main tank. Managed to get it sorted but the problem returned when I switched back to the auxiliary again. Long story short… Got to Pauls place and drained the water out of the auxiliary tank and all was well again. At Pauls we were met by Ben (XR650R), Vaughn (KLR650), and Roger (XF650 Freewind). We then headed along S.H.38 before turning off onto the Ngamotu road.

Then up the Pokairoa road onto Galatea Road and then onto Te Teko and Awakeri for a fuel stop.

From Awakeri we headed out to Opotiki for lunch at a café on the main street.

Eleven km’s on from Opotiki is the start of the Motu road. Once onto the gravel on the Motu the race began with Cary, Ben and myself leading the charge! There was only one slip on the motu which is surprising considering the weather of late.

At the end of the Motu is Matawai. We had a quick stop for a brew at the Matawai pub then set off for our nights accommodation at Journey’s End Station at Koranga. At Journey’s end we stayed in the shearer’s shack. More of a palace than a shack. Sorted some minor maintenance issues stashed our gear then Clint and Claire took us for a trip on the quad and Polaris Ranger to the Sunny Face Lodge. This is a Lodge for hunting or relaxing high in the hills behind the station homestead. Built on a ridge called sunny face of course. Solar power and gas, no phone or TV means you can really get away from it all. For access to this a 4wd or quad is a must.
For more info see www.journeys-end-stn.co.nz
At 6:30 we headed up to the homestead for a beautiful meal put on by station owners Rob and Anne. After dinner we watched the All black kick the Irish’s butt. An excellent night and great food. Thanks Rob and Anne.

Photo 1 - The hut
Photo 2 - Ngamotu
Photo 3 - Opotiki
Photo 4 - Motu
Photo 5 - Journey's end

To be continued….

Cary
19th June 2006, 11:33
Well some of us watched the rugby!!

Next time you'll have to save (memory)space for the snow.

Sure did get lucky with the weather.

XTC
19th June 2006, 11:55
Journey's end Sunday 18th June.
The day dawned cold and misty down by the shearers quarters. Vaughn sparked up the fire at about 5:30am and went back to bed so by 7am the room was almost warm. We had all parked our bikes in the pens under the shearing shed with the exception of Roger who's bike had a thick layer of ice on it and an ignition switch that jsut didn't want to budge at first. Once we were geared up and ready to go the mist had mainly cleared and the sun was up. It was a beautiful day.

Leaving the station we headed to Rere along the Tahora/wharekopae roads into Taumata rd then onto Tahunga eventually emerging onto the tiniroto road for the run down to Wairoa. It was on this Road that we encountered a patch of snow and ice about 60 metres long and found a couple helping a maori guy out of his Toyota Surf that had toppled off the road. After helping out there it was off to Wairoa for gas.

From Wairoa we took S.H.38 up towards Lake Waikaremoana. We hadn't even got to the lake when we encountered a few patches ofsnow and ice on the gravel road. Cool that was fun.. Thought that'd be all we got but no... It got thicker and more slippery as we went on. After a few minutes of figuring out how to ride this icy stuff I was soon back on the pace and charging through! An excellent part of the ride and by far my favourite! Only a few "shit! shit! shit!" moments.....

From the 105km's of twisting gravel and snow and ice through the Huiarau Range we took the road to Minginui and to Clint's mum at the Hukitawa Country Retreat ( http://www.hukitawa.co.nz/index.html ) for a late lunch at about 4pm. Clints and Claires mum Leslie put on a much appreciated spread of Soup, hot breads coffee and tea in her nice warm kitchen. It was with some reluctance we geared up and headed off to our respective homes. Clint off to Taupo, Claire off to Reporoa, Vaughn off to Tauranga, Cary off to Ohope and myself back to Waiuku. And it pissed down all the way home!

We had a great weekend with better than expected weather, great food, great company and comfortable lodgings.

Thanks all for a memorable weekend that will stay with me for years to come.

Thank F%^K for heated grips!!!!!!

Photo 1 - Tahora
Photo 2 - Vaughan
Photo 3 - Taumata
Photo 4 - Claire
Photo 5 - Cary
Photo 6 - Clint

Andy.

XTC
19th June 2006, 12:01
And a couplke of pics stolen from Clints ADVrider thread....

Cary
19th June 2006, 12:31
Good stuff to you and Clint on the cameras.

Some of those pics make it look (almost) like we're riding on seal, riding like it sometimes to :blip:

To you guys who woss..... pulled out! you missed a great trip.

XTC
19th June 2006, 12:39
Good stuff to you and Clint on the cameras.

Some of those pics make it look (almost) like we're riding on seal,

That last pic of you is on the seal bro......

XTC
19th June 2006, 12:41
Did I tell you that it was raining so hard just north of rottenrua that I couldn't see the road as I had rain on both sides of my visor! And drivers down that way don't like to dip their lights!! But still had fun riding by braille.

Motu
19th June 2006, 12:57

Yeah,I had a great time at work on saturday - I bet you wished you had a business that had you so trapped you couldn't even work 5 days a week.

SDU
19th June 2006, 14:32
Looks like you all had an good & interesting ride. looks bloody freezing tho.
I love hearing about different places to ride.
Thanks
SDU

XTC
19th June 2006, 14:53
Yeah,I had a great time at work on saturday - I bet you wished you had a business that had you so trapped you couldn't even work 5 days a week.
Three words Motu
WORK/LIFE BALANCE :killingme

Sorry you couldn't make it. :(

XTC
19th June 2006, 14:58
Here's a freaky pic of Roger....... Dunno how the Aiptek smart cam managed this but also had some pics that didn't turn out at all??? Maybe got too close to the tank bag magnets?? who knows?

Badcat
19th June 2006, 16:40

man - i really wanted to come - but i had to work the weekend before and couldn't leave the duchess home with the kids 2 weekends in a row.
and isn't it woosed?

Motu
19th June 2006, 17:03
Three words Motu
WORK/LIFE BALANCE :killingme

Sorry you couldn't make it. :(

''A Question of Balance''...and in the bigger picture - I spent the early part of my life focused too much on the leasure side of life,the last 10 years I have spent redressing the balance.Dues paid....and the next door we pass through....a bluesy mood....

oldrider
19th June 2006, 22:07
Nice story and pics XTC, I know that territory, we used to live at Tuai from 1966 to 1970 it's an interesting road through there, not only for bikes.

We have had the good fortune of meeting Clint too, he is a nice guy. Cheers John.