PDA

View Full Version : A funny noise...

Ms Piggy
23rd May 2004, 16:07
...has been happening when I go on any lengthy rides. It happened last time I went over the Rimutakas and today when Tigger & I were coming back from Otaki. I am new to riding so excuse me while I sound really stoopid :o

It kind of sounds like the noise my VW beetle car was making just before the bearings disintergrated - I mean I'm guessing bikes have bearings in them :o and that I'm referring to the right bit (more :o :o ) the sound comes from the front wheel but it only happens when I'm on long journies.

As you can see I am not the least bit mechanically minded. I guess I could just take it into the bike shop but $$$$ So hence why I am asking my lovely mates on KB's.

Big Dog
23rd May 2004, 16:31
Put it up on the centre stand.
Have someone lean on the back end (to raise the front of the ground).
Grab the wheel on two opposite sides.
Wiggle.
If you can move without moving the forks or you get a crunching noise your bearing is f&*ked.

If not Spin the wheel.
Does it turn freely or is it jerky?
Jerky in the same spot might indicate brake poroblems.
Jerky in general would indicate bearings being worn.

If not take your front axle out and check for grooves or cracks. If it has cracks or grooves in it replace and replace the bearings.

Wile you have the axle out look and see if the bearings look right (they should be evenly spaced, all the same shape and packed in axle grease.)

Lube the axle with axle lube and put back.

If it is still making noises or it only ever made them when accelerating or braking try degreasing, lubing and adjusting your chain as when it gets stiff and worn it will "bash" against your swingarm when really cold or really warm.

If you spot the problem you could save some money for the cost of a tube of lube, if not take it to the bike shop.

Ms Piggy
23rd May 2004, 16:39
Thanks Big Dog I'll check this out ASAP!

Posh Tourer :P
23rd May 2004, 18:50
What kinda noise is it, a metallic clacking? a whine? a squeal? a combo of all three?

Ms Piggy
23rd May 2004, 19:01
What kinda noise is it, a metallic clacking? a whine? a squeal? a combo of all three?

Not metallic, a little bit of a squeaky whine sometimes but kind of a tapping noise...not even tapping really, clicking...ummmm, yeah. :confused:

pete376403
23rd May 2004, 23:20
Does the tapping increase as the bike goes faster?
As you're riding, pull in the clutch and let the bike coast with the motor idling - does the noise change or remain? (ie is the noise motor related or somewhere else)
Drag the front brake lightly - does the noise change?

Bearings are easy to change- this would be a good subject for the bike maintenance class.

Replacment bearings can be bought from suppliers such as Schrodoco in upper Tory st, probably a lot less than genuine Honda parts. You'd need the number off the side of the bearing, or take one in and they can match it.

FROSTY
23rd May 2004, 23:30
One other possibility is your speedo drive might be dry or clicking.
worth checking out.

wari
23rd May 2004, 23:45
I reckonits the hydrocillator (spelling?) and Mortimer Ford... :yeah:

Ms Piggy
24th May 2004, 17:24
Does the tapping increase as the bike goes faster?
As you're riding, pull in the clutch and let the bike coast with the motor idling - does the noise change or remain? (ie is the noise motor related or somewhere else)
Drag the front brake lightly - does the noise change?

Bearings are easy to change- this would be a good subject for the bike maintenance class.

Replacment bearings can be bought from suppliers such as Schrodoco in upper Tory st, probably a lot less than genuine Honda parts. You'd need the number off the side of the bearing, or take one in and they can match it.

Hey Pete,
I'm pretty sure it's not noise related. It comes from the front of the bike but I can only hear it when I'm slowing down to stop and only after going long distances.

Bearings easy to change?? I don't even know what a bearing looks like! Heh heh.

Thanks for all the info guys :2thumbsup

pete376403
24th May 2004, 23:33
Bearings are easy to change BUT.. you'd need a few tools.
1. Bike on centre tand, blocks under the engine to hold the front wheel off the ground.
2. front wheel out - undo the speedo cable where it attaches to the speedo drive at the wheel hub. Undo a pair of nuts at the bottom of the fork legs and remove the caps. The wheel drops down. Maybe a bit of a fiddle to get it past the disk caliper.
3. Undo the nut on the end of the axle and pull axle out. Make a note (draw a picture if necessary) of the order the washers, spacers and so on go. Note how the speedo drive attaches to the side of the hub.
4. Put the wheel onto a rubbish tin so the disk doesnt get damaged.
5. You need a long (250mm) punch that can go through the hole where the axle came out, to rest against the bearing on the lower side of the hub. Give it a few good smacks with a hammer and the bearing should drop out, plus another spacer that goes inside the hub between the two bearings. It's worth checking for circlips or other fasteners that hold the bearing in. I've never enountered any, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
6. Turn the wheel over and knock out the bearing on the other side.
7. Bearings may be sealed one or two sides with neoprene seals, or maybe shielded with metal shields on one or two sides. If both side, then they can go in any way. If one side, the the seal/shield goes to the outside.
8. If the bearings are sealed/shielded one side, pack a teaspoon full (about ) of wheel bearing grease into the open side.
9. Place the new bearing into the hub. It will fit a little way, then it will need to be tapped in. Use the old bearing between the hammer and the new bearing. Don't use brass or any soft metal, you get metal chips in the bearing and its stuffed from the get go.
10. Once the bearing is fully seated in the hub, turn the wheel over, put the spacer in, then the new bearing on the other side.
11. Reassemble the axle in order of disassembly.
12. A dollop of grease into the speedo drive can't hurt, either.
13. refit the wheel to the fork.
Be really careful about tightening the nuts and bolts correctly, refitting (if removed) any split pins.
Threaten to kill any person who goes near the brake lever while the wheel is out - you do not want to reassemble pistons into calipers just yet :2guns:
And thats it. Easy, eh?

pete376403
24th May 2004, 23:37
Hey Pete,

Bearings easy to change?? I don't even know what a bearing looks like! Heh heh.

Thanks for all the info guys :2thumbsup
They look like this

Big Dog
25th May 2004, 18:52
Hey Pete,
I'm pretty sure it's not noise related. It comes from the front of the bike but I can only hear it when I'm slowing down to stop and only after going long distances.

After a long ride on an old bike you may experience more sag due to the damper oil being old. This means the cahin will be looser after a good long / hard ride.

This also means a old chain is more likely to "drag" after a long ride.

It also mean different parts of your frame are stressed meaning it makes different noises after a long one than a short one.

Ms Piggy
25th May 2004, 20:57
Bearings are easy to change BUT.. you'd need a few tools.

Easy, eh?

Yeah, yeah....no probs! :wacko:

riffer
26th May 2004, 09:12
Yeah, yeah....no probs! :wacko:
Actually Cathy, it's not too bad.

Pete helped me do my steering head bearings.

Perhaps you could sweet-talk him into helping you with yours?

Ms Piggy
26th May 2004, 18:13
Actually Cathy, it's not too bad.

Pete helped me do my steering head bearings.

Perhaps you could sweet-talk him into helping you with yours?

Yeah maybe I'll be calling on ya mate! :niceone: But I'm getting a lesson this weekend anyway, so I could be ok after that.

pete376403
26th May 2004, 18:20
If that was addressed to me, be more than happy to help. But I'll be down south for the Brass from Wednesday (YAHOOOO) back on Monday.

Ms Piggy
26th May 2004, 18:49
If that was addressed to me, be more than happy to help. But I'll be down south for the Brass from Wednesday (YAHOOOO) back on Monday.

Well it kinda was, I would have PM'd ya but now that you've read it, heh heh.

The Brass Monkey! Have fffffffffun! :cold:

I'm gonna be down South too (Christchurch), getting a lesson on how to change bearings, so if need be I'll get in touch when I get back if that's ok.

Cheers mate! :niceone:

wari
27th May 2004, 07:38
I feel as though my hydrocillator comment has been glossed over ... :shake:

and I'm quite hurt really ... :cry:

so ...

Heres proof of the HYDROCILLATORand MORTIMERford (http://66.34.10.12/AAAS/hydrocillator.htm)

So there anyway ... my dads bigger than your dad ... :P

Ms Piggy
27th May 2004, 08:40
I feel as though my hydrocillator comment has been glossed over ... :shake:

and I'm quite hurt really ... :cry:

so ...

Heres proof of the HYDROCILLATORand MORTIMERford (http://66.34.10.12/AAAS/hydrocillator.htm)

So there anyway ... my dads bigger than your dad ... :P

I do apologise for haveing "glossed over" your contribution to my question Wari, it was just that...well...ummmmm...how do I say this...I thought it was complete bollocks really :msn-wink:

And it's regarding a car & I ride a motorbike :wacko:

wari
27th May 2004, 08:42
It IS bollocks ... :shake:

Butt ... thats not the point ...

I only deal in facts ... :yeah:

and thats a fact ...

Ms Piggy
27th May 2004, 17:52
It IS bollocks ... :shake:

Butt ... thats not the point ...

I only deal in facts ... :yeah:

and thats a fact ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - now I get ya. Hmmmmmmmm...yeah....welll...thnaks for that :sly:

wari
28th May 2004, 07:04
Welcome ... :doobey:

Coldkiwi
28th May 2004, 13:08
speaking of funny noises....
whats that horrid crunching sound you get when locking the rear wheel under hard braking? even with the clutch in all my bikes have done it.

is it rooting something up terribly or is it par for the course?

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 13:13
um cathy Has your rs got ventilated disks??
I just wondered -I had a bike once wiith similar problems --it turned out to be a tiny stone had got on top of the pads and every now ant then would jump and scrape and rattle whilst I was riding

merv
28th May 2004, 13:27
speaking of funny noises....
whats that horrid crunching sound you get when locking the rear wheel under hard braking? even with the clutch in all my bikes have done it.

is it rooting something up terribly or is it par for the course?

Sounds like chatter. Maybe you gotta learn to brake a bit smoother.

Coldkiwi
28th May 2004, 13:39
more than likely Merv... its not a regular occurance by any means but it does happen (hey its a sports bike, I'm young and stupid, what can I say!)

so whats chatter caused by exactly? is it the chain jumping around as it slackens and tightens with the wheel jolting under the torsion of the road and varying with the rubber bush compressing/expanding in the wheel hub?

Big Dog
28th May 2004, 15:34
so whats chatter caused by exactly? is it the chain jumping around as it slackens and tightens with the wheel jolting under the torsion of the road and varying with the rubber bush compressing/expanding in the wheel hub?
To put it simply. Yes. To complicate things further it is worse if you have a cush drive.

Remedy? Practice braking drills that include both brakes and engine braking..... Unless you last adjusted your chain last year.

Big Dog
28th May 2004, 15:46
It kind of sounds like the noise my VW beetle car was making just before the bearings disintergrated
Got it sussed yet?
Have the german car gremlins been fed after midnight?

merv
28th May 2004, 16:26
more than likely Merv... its not a regular occurance by any means but it does happen (hey its a sports bike, I'm young and stupid, what can I say!)

As Big Dog says, but also it could be your suspension set up and type of tyres too because its basically your tyre kind of hopping on the road. You may have your damping too stiff or something like that and it aint handling the slightly corrugated stuff too well under brakes.

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 16:32

Im certain I can diagnose the problem with your bike. But to do so I will need to ride it. I can pick it up from you on say um the 4th of june and Ill return it on the 6th with the problem sorted.
as an added extra your sump plug will be drilled and a catch bottle for all fluids will be fitted :devil2:

Coldkiwi
28th May 2004, 17:39
Im certain I can diagnose the problem with your bike. But to do so I will need to ride it. I can pick it up from you on say um the 4th of june and Ill return it on the 6th with the problem sorted.
as an added extra your sump plug will be drilled and a catch bottle for all fluids will be fitted :devil2:

how kind of you :)

Nah, i'll hopefully be doing that myself before too long!.

it could well be the suspension disagreeing with the road merv. it is set up pretty hard and i still haven't got round to dedicating a day to coming up with some more suitable settings. They seemed to work ok on the track (Murray on the R1 with the LEDA leathers commented it looked pretty stable when following me) which probably means its too hard for my road use and is causing the chatter.
whats a cush drive?

merv
28th May 2004, 17:48
how kind of you :)

whats a cush drive?

Its where your sprocket is connected to the back wheel by way of some sort of rubber devices - can be in the form of your sprocket being mounted on its own bearing and then driving by way of lugs going into rubber blocks on the wheel or can be by way of the sprocket being fastened onto the wheel but with rubber bushing inserts to take the shock. I wouldn't have thought your bike would have a cush drive though and would have thought the sprocket would be bolted directly to the hub of the wheel.

pete376403
28th May 2004, 17:52
cush = cushion.

Big Dog
28th May 2004, 17:55
which probably means its too hard for my road use and is causing the chatter.
whats a cush drive?
It would do the same thing if you had insufficint spring rate for your bound or if your rebound is to heavy for your weight.

fine on a track were smooth entries and exits are a priority, f@#ked on the road where the priority is drainage and being able to fit all the potholes on corners.

Ms Piggy
29th May 2004, 12:19
Got it sussed yet?
Have the german car gremlins been fed after midnight?

Not yet BD, I'm gonna try a few suggestions when I get back from being away & see if I can sort it out.

Well I don't have my lovely little beetle anymore, so I'm not sure who is feeding her. :crybaby:

Coldkiwi
31st May 2004, 12:22
It would do the same thing if you had insufficint spring rate for your bound or if your rebound is to heavy for your weight.

fine on a track were smooth entries and exits are a priority, f@#ked on the road where the priority is drainage and being able to fit all the potholes on corners.

dunno if its got a cush or not because I haven't taken the wheel off yet. I know the ZX6 had one though (its what I called a rubber bush- now i know the real name for it! cheers)

well, when I finally get some free time back after the wedding (1 month) I'll have to prioritise sorting out the rear end to get over th chatter and smooth the exits (sometimes it complains a little when powering up over a rough exit)

thanks guys!

Big Dog
1st June 2004, 17:32
thanks guys!
Easy way to tell would be does it make the same noise with a pillion on. If so your rear is oversprung or over damped.

Good luck with your honey moon.... hope you are not retired at halftime with an injury. :apint:

Ms Piggy
1st June 2004, 17:44
well, when I finally get some free time back after the wedding (1 month)

thanks guys!

Ooooooooooooo - a wedding!! I hope you'll post a few pics like 1 of the other guys did.

Big Dog
1st June 2004, 19:09
Ooooooooooooo - a wedding!! I hope you'll post a few pics like 1 of the other guys did.
Disclaimer she means of the WEDDING not the honeymoon, those you can post elsewhere and provide a link :devil2: :lol:

FROSTY
2nd June 2004, 00:16
dunno if its got a cush or not because I haven't taken the wheel off yet. I know the ZX6 had one though (its what I called a rubber bush- now i know the real name for it! cheers)

well, when I finally get some free time back after the wedding (1 month) I'll have to prioritise sorting out the rear end to get over th chatter and smooth the exits (sometimes it complains a little when powering up over a rough exit)

thanks guys!
dude it definitely has a cush drive--I aint seen a bike without one
and yep id agree -the chatter might be suspention setups

merv
2nd June 2004, 12:10
dude it definitely has a cush drive--I aint seen a bike without one

You aint seen dirt bikes or VFRs then. My most recent bikes VFR750F, DR250R, and now WR250F sprockets are all bolted directly to the back hub.

Big Dog
4th June 2004, 18:20
You aint seen dirt bikes or VFRs then. My most recent bikes VFR750F, DR250R, and now WR250F sprockets are all bolted directly to the back hub.
Cush is inside the hub, if you have had the hub apart or it is a newfangled one peice with hollow hubs (normally sub 30hp bikes) ignore me completely :whistle:

Ms Piggy
12th June 2004, 21:01
BIG THANKS TO...pete376403 & his son for having a look at my bike today. :niceone:

It turned out to be the speedo drive dial, it's kinda brole but still works. Phew!

Cheers Pette I owe you one! :apint: