PDA

View Full Version : Fibreglass repairs???

Two Smoker
19th June 2006, 16:13
Hey everyone,

Anyone in Auckland handy with a bit of fibre glass repairing??? Ive got bugger all $$$ and need to repair my race fairings... Any help would be hugely appreciated... sort of needs doing before this firday...

Cheers, Chris

The Stranger
19th June 2006, 16:17
Hey everyone,

Anyone in Auckland handy with a bit of fibre glass repairing??? Ive got bugger all $$$ and need to repair my race fairings... Any help would be hugely appreciated... sort of needs doing before this firday...

Cheers, Chris

Possibly, can you post a photo of the damage please?

sAsLEX
19th June 2006, 16:18
go see KK hes got some fibre mat and resin and he aint to shabby....

who am I kidding head out west and see KK's Rangi Repairs!

Esle look on trademe for some repair kits not too much $$'s see http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-59986083.htm

dss3
19th June 2006, 16:41
Try asking Nicko, he has done a bit.

Two Smoker
19th June 2006, 16:48
Cheers for the options guys :niceone: Ill give KK a bell soon...

dveus
19th June 2006, 19:20
About $30 gets you a small kit from Mitre10, should be enough to patch together a fairing.

aff-man
19th June 2006, 19:35
ok the mitre 10 kits are pretty crap. But I have a mate who does boat building and helped in out heaps with fibreglassing on his various boats so I'm pretty handy if you need a hand. The best stuff they sell at boat yards / marina's. Depending on what you want to do you could get some bi-directional cloth but it would be a bit more expensive but would cut down the weight cause you'll only need one layer. You could go with an epoxy resin but polyeuothene (sp) stuff works just as well and is heaps cheaper.

slopster
19th June 2006, 23:03
Just buy some polyester resin and fibreglass mat at a boat shop. Get the woven mat for little repairs (easier to work with) or the criss cross mat for big repairs (stronger). Should cost about $25 for the lot. Make sure you sand all the paint off the dammaged area before you put the fibreglass on. Fibreglass is piss easy to work with. Its getting a nice finnish that takes the hard work but thats no biggie on a race bike.

Fishy
20th June 2006, 07:46
Hey everyone,

Cheers, Chris

Hey Chris,

A good mate of mine does fibreglassing for a living. He supplies and sponsors quite a few D1 Drift cars with the body kits that he makes. If you don't have any luck with KK then give me a shout.

Josh.

aff-man
20th June 2006, 09:57
Just buy some polyester resin and fibreglass mat at a boat shop. Get the woven mat for little repairs (easier to work with) or the criss cross mat for big repairs (stronger). Should cost about $25 for the lot. Make sure you sand all the paint off the dammaged area before you put the fibreglass on. Fibreglass is piss easy to work with. Its getting a nice finnish that takes the hard work but thats no biggie on a race bike.

Yip thats the stuff. Polyester. Cheap as chips. The woven mat is good if you have no load on the piece (which if it's only cosmetic then should be good) oh and make sure you roll all the air bubbles out otherwise you'll run into difficulties.

The Stranger
20th June 2006, 10:26
Yip thats the stuff. Polyester. Cheap as chips. The woven mat is good if you have no load on the piece (which if it's only cosmetic then should be good) oh and make sure you roll all the air bubbles out otherwise you'll run into difficulties.

Hmm, I was always told that polyester doesn't have a good bond strength and that you should use epoxy resin for repairs.

I have used epoxy for skinning both ply and fibreglass boats and it has performed very well in service.

rookie
30th July 2006, 10:04
Hmm, I was always told that polyester doesn't have a good bond strength and that you should use epoxy resin for repairs.

I have used epoxy for skinning both ply and fibreglass boats and it has performed very well in service.

They are much of a muchness...it mainly has to do with your preparation work as to how well it bonds. Ive personally used a polyester resin to strengthen the inside of a fairing - sourced from a MITRE10 kit aswell - again nothing wrong with it.

FROSTY
2nd August 2006, 17:42
I saved myself a shit load of time/effort/money---I took my stuff to Primal on barrys point road--they fixed up myy bits pretty cheap