PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle insurance poll

Tricia1000
18th June 2006, 20:55
Hi guys and gals,
I would like to do a poll on the amount of people who have insurance, haven't got insurance, why you do or don't have insurance. What factors do you take into account when choosing an insurance company. I would appreciate it if you could either PM me, or email triciaoconnor@xtra.co.nz.
You may wonder the reasoning behind this survey.
Overseas I used to do insurance assessments for AON insurance. Then I would grade a rider accordingly, and they would get the allocated discount on their insurance.

For some people that would amount to a fair sized reduction on their insurance. I want to investigate whether the same sort of system might work here.

Tricia

Gremlin
18th June 2006, 21:02
chuck up a poll in your thread then, with all the options??

Titanium
18th June 2006, 21:14
Used a broker.....

Only considered Value of bike, my age, how long had licence.

Premium
- discount for $2000 excess
- discount for only 1 rider
- discount for limited kilometers per year.

Was then half of any other premium quoted.

Cheers

ajturbo
18th June 2006, 21:25
This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

none.....

Tricia1000
18th June 2006, 23:55
Hi there, I would like to do that, but I am not really computer literate enough. I asked Frosty how, but only got an answer about starting a thread half way down the page. Anyway, it didn't make any sense to me.

My gripe at the moment is trying to get rid of the title "Scooter boy" under my name.:oi-grr:
chuck up a poll in your thread then, with all the options??

Gremlin
19th June 2006, 00:34
hmmm, not sure you can start a poll after the thread has been started, I think a mod can, but I don't seem to be able to, after I have started a thread.

Either you can start another thread, with a poll, or, if you want, pm your options you want in the poll, and if you want multi-check (check boxes) or single answer (radio buttons).

The third option, don't know if its possible, is for a mod to add a poll to your thread, don't know if they have the permissions...

oh, don't have any insurance... would like.. but expensive for full cover

onearmedbandit
19th June 2006, 00:47
Tricia, start a new thread and include a poll (you'll see the option for it down the page when you're writing your new thread). I tried editing your initial post to include a poll, but it seems as though I can't. Once you've started the new thread pm me and I'll merge the two.

Gremlin
19th June 2006, 00:54
I've attached a screenshot, with what you need to select.

Check the checkbox, select the number of options, and write the post. When done, click submit thread. It will give an intermediate screen, where you write out the words for each option, and choose if you want multi-select, or single select.

You can also choose to have a public (everyone can see who has chosen what), or private (no-one - not even you, can see who selected what).

XP@
19th June 2006, 09:25
Have insurance and would sit a rider assessment test if it lowered excess and gave me feed back on where I should be looking to improve my skills
lower premiums would be ok too, but not essential

buellbabe
19th June 2006, 09:33
I have always had Fully comprehensive insurance... the reason being: worried about theft or it being damaged by some idiot cager... ;-)
A premium based on actual rider skill would be a brilliant idea!

Tricia1000
19th June 2006, 09:54
Thanks for that. I will give it a go, when I get home from work tonight.
Tricia

Tricia, start a new thread and include a poll (you'll see the option for it down the page when you're writing your new thread). I tried editing your initial post to include a poll, but it seems as though I can't. Once you've started the new thread pm me and I'll merge the two.

Devil
19th June 2006, 10:40
You probably cant start a poll anyway because you're not a senior member.

chickenfunkstar
19th June 2006, 12:15
I don't have insurance, I've studied a little bit of Expected Utility Theory at uni. If I'm willing to bear some risk I should be financially better off. Might consider getting it when i'm slightly older and have a bike that's worth more.

Good idea about the grading of riders. How would you know if they were a good rider or not though? Most people can ride pretty well when they know they're being assessed.

Anyone ever thought about making an insurance co-operative? Would this work in the real world?

steved
19th June 2006, 15:15
Anyone ever thought about making an insurance co-operative? Would this work in the real world?
That's pretty much what insurance is now. I believe that most insurance companies pay out in claims pretty much what they take in in premiums (maybe 98% premiums paid as claims). They primarily are investment vehicles making their money investing your premiums.

Tricia1000
19th June 2006, 17:52
Hi Guys and gals,
Thanks to those who have already replied. Your time is much appreciated. I think I have figured out how to do the poll now.
The first one is simply going to determine the most popular insurance company, so that I can then make a "plan of attack" so to speak.

All help and info much appreciated.

Tricia

sAsLEX
19th June 2006, 17:58
swann do bikes in a big way suprised not to see that there.

Had some on me CBR with kiwibike.co.nz

Hitcher
19th June 2006, 18:50
All help and info much appreciated.
Tricia

You've sold yourself short on your poll by omitting a couple of major insurers.

But save yourself some grief and get in touch with Dave at Kiwibike insurance: www.kiwibike.co.nz. He'll make sure you get the best deal.

Tricia1000
19th June 2006, 18:54
I had a look in the yellow pages, and on the internet, and put in those that came to the fore, more than others. I was limited to only ten lines, which is the other reason some have been left out. Could you please let me know the names of the other insurers?
thanks
Tricia

You've sold yourself short on your poll by omitting a couple of major insurers.

But save yourself some grief and get in touch with Dave at Kiwibike insurance: www.kiwibike.co.nz. He'll make sure you get the best deal.

madboy
19th June 2006, 18:56
Mine's with AA Insurance. Mainly 'cos our cars are there too. I didn't even need to lie to get insurance through them too. Might explain my excess though.

paturoa
19th June 2006, 19:11
I had a good look around and kiwibike had the best deal. basicaly came down to price.

The down (up?!) side is that I have never had a claim, so its wasted money??

Quasievil
19th June 2006, 19:28
Classic Cover for me, good price and cover for trackdays, beat that.
Got a quote online with Ebike, the new one, my premium with them would be double !!! like bye bye Ebike

Titanium
19th June 2006, 19:35
Hi there, I would like to do that, but I am not really computer literate enough. I asked Frosty how, but only got an answer about starting a thread half way down the page. Anyway, it didn't make any sense to me.

My gripe at the moment is trying to get rid of the title "Scooter boy" under my name.:oi-grr:

Scooter boy can not be got rid of.....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=747

Cheers

Peter

Highlander
19th June 2006, 20:17
I'm with AMI coz all our insurances are. Price is the same as Honda Riders Club quoted. Excess is "same as cc rating" in my case 750.

Rang and asked them if I was covered for a track day and they said that as long as it was a training day not racing day no problem.

Scooter boy under your title will go when you have made more posts.

Jantar
19th June 2006, 22:04
I have already given Tricia most of my details via email, but I left out the company. I'm with AMI. High premiums, but low excess. Not that in tend to make a claim though.

skidMark
19th June 2006, 22:06
Used a broker.....

Only considered Value of bike, my age, how long had licence.

Premium
- discount for $2000 excess
- discount for only 1 rider
- discount for limited kilometers per year.

Was then half of any other premium quoted.

Cheers

2 grand excess on a bmw that would only cover an indicator.....

bane
19th June 2006, 22:15
I don't have insurance

surely 3rd party is a minimum - should cost <$50 a year (not fire and theft obviously). You can manage your own asset risk, but managing the damage cost to that new beemer Murphy sets up for you, is a bit trickier...

texmo
19th June 2006, 23:13
I like insurance companies that will insure me.

scumdog
19th June 2006, 23:27
Insurance Brokers Alliance Ltd - local outfir and member of Brokernet NZ Ltd.

Despite:
Clean driving record.
Nil claims.
Older age bracket.
Live in 'good' area.

Most of the 'other' bigger names were a rort ($1,300 per annum for a $14,000 bike? - c'mon!!) despite the relative 'attraction' of my risk level.

They insure my classic car, hot rod and motorbikes for what I see as a fair amount ($780 for same cover for the $14,000 bike) .

Motu
19th June 2006, 23:29
I had insurance on two bikes I bought brand new on tick,case of having to - one in 1971,another in 1972....and have never been insured since.Until the early 1980's I rode mainly British bikes,no bike newer than 10 years old - insurance companies wouldn't go near such things back then.Through the '80's and '90's I rode some old Jap bikes,the most I paid was $200...again,unlikely any insurance company would talk to me.Then I bought a 14 year old bike,and kinda rare,value $2000,kinda an expensive bike for me.My most expensive bike now would be over priced at $4000 for insurance purposes.I always consider crashes to be my own fault and am quite able to repair my own accident damage.Third party would be handy to have,but not sure if it's available for bikes.Theft? Again,after owning British bikes through the '70's when no insurerer would go near them,I take my own measures to prevent theft....and I still do.

Sign me up Scotty.....

Highlander
19th June 2006, 23:32
Saw a T shirt the other day it said:

Insured by Mafia - You hit me We hit you.

skidMark
20th June 2006, 00:29
lol i gotta get me one of those shirts...

as another kber said once upon a time

"i figure if i hit something hard enough to do serious damage that i can't afford to cover them for.. i aint gunna be around to worry about it''

NSR-Dan
20th June 2006, 00:56
Mine's with AA Insurance. Mainly 'cos our cars are there too. I didn't even need to lie to get insurance through them too. Might explain my excess though.

I work for AA, your excess should be $300

anyone want a quote on bike insurance call me at AA inurance. on 0800 500 215

only thing is we wont insure anyone that has had bike there full bike license for less then 4 years.

NSR-Dan
20th June 2006, 01:15
oh and ask for Daniel

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 06:55
You left out 3rd Party Only or Comprehensive as options.

I'm with Classic Cover. Just like Quasi I found them to be the best value. MIght be an age thing, ;)

Quasievil
20th June 2006, 07:53
Im Stunned that there are 15 bikers with no insurance, go and get it, weve all heard the stories.............he hit my car and didnt have insurance.

if youre on the road you should have insurance period, at least third party.
I reckon if someone took my bike out and didnt have insurance to cover it, they would get a right royal smack in the gob

Rashika
20th June 2006, 08:05
VERO
- is another insurance company that do a lot of bikes down here, one that I use via a broker. Excess is pretty good, premiums $72 per month for $20,000 worth of bike, but I am probably in the 'best' category, being older with no claims, and good driving/riding record.

Im Stunned that there are 15 bikers with no insurance, go and get it, weve all heard the stories.............he hit my car and didnt have insurance.

I reckon if someone took my bike out and didnt have insurance to cover it, they would get a right royal smack in the gob
actually so am I... guess it is just too expensive for some people to do, but for me personally I consider it compulsary as part of ownership of a vehicle. Its not just whether you can fix your vehicle, its whether you can afford to fix someone elses as well. So what if i haven't needed it yet in the 20 or so years of driving, one day i may do... and I'd rather have that security to know it will be sorted easily.

Rosie
20th June 2006, 08:15
I've got insurance with AMI, mainly because I already had car insurance with them. Other companies had given me grief about my 1989 Corolla being a very fast, dangerous car, but AMI didn't seem to care, so I figured they must have been reasonable people. Only minor niggle is that their database can only cope with 1 licence class. So my motorbike insurance says I've been licenced for 9 years, with a little note at the bottom saying that I've only had my motorbike licence for a couple of months.

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 09:39
VERO
- is another insurance company that do a lot of bikes down here, one that I use via a broker. Excess is pretty good, premiums $72 per month for $20,000 worth of bike, but I am probably in the 'best' category, being older with no claims, and good driving/riding record.

Classic Cover are underwritten by Vero and about 10-15% cheaper than Vero.

quackquack
20th June 2006, 09:40
Was with classic cover till I read the wording and found a maximum price on a part of 2K I have so many parts on my bike worth more than that so thought it was time to shop around. All I can say is read the policy wording because there are some things on some of the excesses that may sting you come claim time.

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 09:46

And my excess, and the difference between what I am paying for my premium post accident sans NCB.

I"m with Rashika and Quasi here folks. It's not just to protect your asset in the even of a crash, it's to avoid the horrific dawning realisation that you've totalled your bike, hurt yourself (subsequently off work and on ACC), and now have an insurance company gunning for the $12K to fix the headlight, grill, radiator and right fender of a Mercedes CLS300. Or even $3k for a Subaru intercooler.

If you can't pay for the insurance stay off the road. It is part of the package when it comes to exercising your privilege to use the road with the rest of us.

Rashika
20th June 2006, 09:50
I've had quotes from damn near every company in NZ I think over the last year :yes: ...and the broker has always had the cheapest and with the best conditions (excess etc) so far anyway.
Is there a direct contact for Classic cover? ...probably somewhere on KB but cant be blowed looking ;)

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 09:51
Was with classic cover till I read the wording and found a maximum price on a part of 2K I have so many parts on my bike worth more than that so thought it was time to shop around. All I can say is read the policy wording because there are some things on some of the excesses that may sting you come claim time.

Not in mine. MInd you if you are damaging parts worth $2k, chances are the cumulative damage to all the other 2k parts will write the bike off anyway.

Stay away from Protecta. The excess is a percentage of the vehicles involved in the accident. If you're at fault and hit a Porsche GT3, you better be applying for a mortgage the same day.

I left AMI because they don't cover for theft, unless it is from your own locked garage and it is secured by a chain to loop concreted into the floor. The wording isn't exact but it was very specific.

Motu
20th June 2006, 10:01
So can you get third party for bikes.

Been on the road a few years Jim - had one claim with bike verses car in 1972,decided I wasn't going to do that again...and haven't.I don't think I'm a hazzard to other road users on my bike...if they are at fault they pay.As far as I'm concerned if you can't pay for your fuck ups stay off the road...or buy a cheaper bike.

The Stranger
20th June 2006, 10:04

Um make that 16.

Screw that, after the lies, ignorance and extreme incompetence the insurer displayed with the Blackbird claim I can't see me being in a hurry to give the bastards a bloody cent.

Insurance is about risk and cost.
We owned a construction company. we stopped Insurance on vehicles (except third party) and tools.
We banned anyone under 25 from driving a company vehicle and purchased several steel shipping containers for tool storage. Several people said we were mad. But that madness saved us $80,000.00 a year in insurance premiums.
In 5 yrs we lost one van (written off) and probably $5,000.00 of tools

The most common accident is a very low speed or stationary drop - doesn't show in accident stats cause are rarely reported. So buy a naked bike, which I have.

The most frequent accident is bike leaves road on a right hander. This is ususally on a country road and usually results in little or no third party property damage and not a lot of damage to the bike. Slow down a bit, which I have.

Next is multi vehicle and mostly these are the other party at fault. Do some training and practice your skills, which I have and do. Hope they are insured and lets face it most boy racers (that I know) even have 3rd party.

Rob Muldoon was good for something, I always remember one of his sayings.
Nine times out of ten the worst never happens. Nine times out of ten when the worst does happen it is not that bad anyway.

Ixion
20th June 2006, 10:07
What Mr Motu said. Had I insured all my vehicles over the years it would have cost me a LOT of money, and I would never have made a claim. Nor anyone else because of me. If I smash up my bike or car that is my problem. If I smash up yours and it is my fault I have the money to pay for it. It is called self insurance. Practised by government departments, big corporates.

If you are the sort of person who needs insurance, stay off the roads.

Motu
20th June 2006, 10:15
When I worked for a small rental car company our insurance premiums were huge...at that time $10,000 a year,it was crippling.So one year the boss kept up his insurance payments - into a seperate bank account,and prayed for no accidents...next year he did the same....and then had his own insurance company,using his own money.Be pro active,look out for yourself.

T.W.R
20th June 2006, 10:17
Saw a T shirt the other day it said:

Insured by Mafia - You hit me We hit you.

Bit like this plate Highlander :yes:

I'm with AMI, agreed value policy, under $270 per year & $250 excess across the board.
been with Swann & State but got shafted by both years ago

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 10:22
So can you get third party for bikes.

Been on the road a few years Jim - had one claim with bike verses car in 1972,decided I wasn't going to do that again...and haven't.I don't think I'm a hazzard to other road users on my bike...if they are at fault they pay.As far as I'm concerned if you can't pay for your fuck ups stay off the road...or buy a cheaper bike.

Yeah but I'm naturally unlucky I am. I'm the person that gets hit in the head by a sparrow and their helmet splits in two. I'm the guy that gets hit by a meteor on a clear cloudless day. I'm the person showered with debris as they pass a truck and trailer and ALL the tyres blow out on the right hand side and the resulting fish tail bitch slaps me into a different province.

scumdog
20th June 2006, 10:31
Whatever else make sure you have third party

A young guy down here is paying off a $8,000 debt after crashing into the side of a car because (a) too dumb to get 3rd party and (b) drove like the average restricted driver under 20 - approached a Give Way like he probably won't have to (true about 80% of the time down here) BUT this time he had to and couldn't.

Rashika
20th June 2006, 10:46
....Hope they are insured and lets face it most boy racers (that I know) even have 3rd party.....

yeah lets hope they are insured... ofcourse cos everyone is right?
Just proven here that a lot are not.
So lets hope we dont end up having one of them run into us...

I'd rather pay for insurance and know it will cover anything, than not and hope like hell that whoever may run into me has their own insurance.
Its only money after all... guess what i have health insurance too!

Motu
20th June 2006, 10:47
Yeah but I'm naturally unlucky I am. I'm the person that gets hit in the head by a sparrow and their helmet splits in two. I'm the guy that gets hit by a meteor on a clear cloudless day. I'm the person showered with debris as they pass a truck and trailer and ALL the tyres blow out on the right hand side and the resulting fish tail bitch slaps me into a different province.

The victim mentality

They also become the victims of insurance companies.

And for the third time - can you get third party for motorcycles?

I remember years ago I couldn't get 3rd party fire and theft for any of my cars because they were worth less than $1000 - like,who would have a car worth more than that.I had to bullshit about reconditioned engines and restoration paint jobs and classic value.Ahem....a 1967 Landcrab worth $1200? Landfill more like.But of course being in the job I am it was in better condition the some cars of 3 times the value - but value on paper was what they wanted.

James Deuce
20th June 2006, 10:51
The victim mentality

I'm no victim. I smile in the face of getting smacked around. Could be the head injuries though.

Yes you can get thrid party for bikes.

Rashika
20th June 2006, 10:58
When I worked for a small rental car company our insurance premiums were huge...at that time $10,000 a year,it was crippling.So one year the boss kept up his insurance payments - into a seperate bank account,and prayed for no accidents...next year he did the same....and then had his own insurance company,using his own money.Be pro active,look out for yourself.
I could totally understand why a company paying large premiums would do this... makes perfect sense. BUT most of us on here are not, so insurance companies do it for us.
And these days we have so much choice it is great as far as I am concerned! Not so long ago there was almost NO cover for bikes, Swann was about it and they were NOT cheap. Now you can actually get about a dozen quotes, thats bloody good for us, competition is great.

Hitcher
20th June 2006, 11:24
You'd be advised to give RAV4s a bit more distance then when following one...

T.W.R
20th June 2006, 13:17
And for the third time - can you get third party for motorcycles?

YES :yes: basic third party or third party fire & theft. plenty of options you just have to ask

NSR-Dan
21st June 2006, 01:52

i like it when people say something is underwritten by that company and then think its cheaper.

classic are brokers, so if you are insured with them you are intitialy insured with vero. who every gave you the extra 10-15% on a quote was probably another broker trying to make an extra buck. the standard premium should be the same across the board if the policy is the same.

Would like to mention that AA insurance is about 60% owned by Vero. Vero also owns AMP and SIS insurance is part of the AA brand.

IAG is an another large insurance company that owns AMI, STATE, and NZI. kinda funy cause NZI (New Zealand Insurance) is owned by an australian company.

If you have a bike older than 20years and drive less than 5000kms a year. call AA cause it can be insured under a classic car policy, and premiums are under $200 a year and some cases even $90, excess is $300.

ajturbo
21st June 2006, 08:28
yeah lets hope they are insured... ofcourse cos everyone is right?
Just proven here that a lot are not.
So lets hope we dont end up having one of them run into us...

I'd rather pay for insurance and know it will cover anything, than not and hope like hell that whoever may run into me has their own insurance.
Its only money after all... guess what i have health insurance too!

if/when i have a baby like yours... i too will have it FULLY insured!

but at the moment i have the turbo, worth?..probly a couple of $K tops.. i cannot get ANY parts for it (plastic bits, etc) so why insure something that cannot be replaced?..

theft?.. bugger!
fire?... woops .. didn't see me do that!.. lol
3rd party crash..... need ya house painted?...:innocent:

James Deuce
21st June 2006, 08:44
i like it when people say something is underwritten by that company and then think its cheaper.

classic are brokers, so if you are insured with them you are intitialy insured with vero. who every gave you the extra 10-15% on a quote was probably another broker trying to make an extra buck. the standard premium should be the same across the board if the policy is the same.

Would like to mention that AA insurance is about 60% owned by Vero. Vero also owns AMP and SIS insurance is part of the AA brand.

IAG is an another large insurance company that owns AMI, STATE, and NZI. kinda funy cause NZI (New Zealand Insurance) is owned by an australian company.

If you have a bike older than 20years and drive less than 5000kms a year. call AA cause it can be insured under a classic car policy, and premiums are under $200 a year and some cases even $90, excess is $300.

Nope. Went direct to 12 companies. Inspection of policies revealed weird stuff like the percentage value excess, no theft cover out in the real world, no theft cover without secondary and tertiary locking devices, etc, etc. Started the old bargaining round about so and so being cheaper and people started declining to cover. I've had one single vehicle accident in 14 years.

Went to our normal broker who usually comes in cheaper with the big company insurance and things started to get into the $3k per year bracket for the R6. Rang CLassic at Oscar's suggestion. They were AMI underwritten at the time, and the R6 was suddenly $700pa, with none of the crap about it only being covered for theft in my own garage. They've moved to Vero, and the Z is just on $500pa.

I wouldn't spend money with the AA if they were the last insurance company in NZ (pack of anti-motorcycling, anti-car, Government toadies), and CLassic Cover specialise in insuring classic vehicles. Bet you they can do it cheaper than the AA.

Quasievil
21st June 2006, 09:16
I wouldn't spend money with the AA if they were the last insurance company in NZ (pack of anti-motorcycling, anti-car, Government toadies),

Bang on the mark there Jim, AA is a lap dog for the government, when did you last hear a representative voice for the NZ motorist coming out of the AA, concerning a major issue, ie one that we care about?????

MikeyG
21st June 2006, 09:45
I'm insured through AMI for third party only. It's a GN so the premiums for full cover are about half the value of the bike. Third party for me is about $60 per year.

Rashika
21st June 2006, 10:34
theft?.. bugger!
;) yeah i can understand that, each to their own i say :scooter:

T.W.R
21st June 2006, 11:40
but at the moment i have the turbo, worth?..probly a couple of $K tops.. i cannot get ANY parts for it (plastic bits, etc) so why insure something that cannot be replaced?..

The XJ turbo is a collectors item :yes: worth way more than $2g.
Parts can't be that hard to find, the rolling chassis/body is exactly the same as the XJ750D(84') & there were plenty of them imported into the country, I know where I could get hold of 3 cheap now :blip:

Motu
21st June 2006, 12:22
if/when i have a baby like yours... i too will have it FULLY insured!

theft?.. bugger!

Same here - I'm not the sort of guy who goes out and plonks more money than I have down on the latest wizz bang bike....all my bikes are...kinda ''special''.No way will an insurance company go near them,they have no value anyway,no parts available...like who cares?

Racey Rider
21st June 2006, 14:18
The thing about Insurance is, they are always looking for a way of Not Paying out on a claim.
You Think your getting 'this cover', but in reality your not covered at all because of 'this clause' . So you've just been paying them all that premium for nothin!
It could be you were traveling at just a little more than the speed limit.
Maybe your WoF was three day over due. Or you may have a current WoF, but your tire tread was now looking low. All legitimate reasons for them to refuse your claim.

If we were perfect people we would ALWAYS have a current WoF. ALWAYS have money to buy new tires. AWAYS Stop Fully at Stop signs.

But Insurance is set up so that unless Joe Average is willing to Lie about their unfortunate situation, and say their were Fully compliant with ALL applicable laws at the time of the accident, then the company has a 50% chance of not having to pay.
Lying is not a problem to most people it seems,, especially to a insurance company. But some of us try to get by without having to twist the truth, so weather we get any benefit from paying out insurance premiums is a bigger gamble than going without it, and riding accordingly.

quackquack
21st June 2006, 14:25
I got my insurance as stated before thru the website www.starinsurance.co.nz they had third party only cover, third party fire theft and Full Insurance but I asked re the speeding issue and they told me I'm covered if speeding hard to believe I know but call and ask for yourself

Rashika
21st June 2006, 15:31
If we were perfect people we would ALWAYS have a current WoF. ALWAYS have money to buy new tires. AWAYS Stop Fully at Stop signs.

but I am and do. :innocent:

Motig
21st June 2006, 15:35
When its summertime I'll insure, at the very least third party about $30 from AMI. Quote of $578 for full for $8000 value.

madboy
21st June 2006, 17:51
I work for AA, your excess should be $300
anyone want a quote on bike insurance call me at AA inurance. on 0800 500 215
only thing is we wont insure anyone that has had bike there full bike license for less then 4 years.My excess would be $300 if I didn't have a lovely long driving history. Just like it would be $300 on the two cars we have insured with AA as well. But it's not, it's $1,500. Chances of me having a single vehicle at fault claim in a 2.0 CVT primera stationwagon? 0.2%. Chances of me having a single vehicle at fault claim on a 636? 70% I'd say. Either way, my bike premium is somewhere around $900/yr. I'm pretty confident that sometime in the next ten years I will write off a bike, or at least have a pretty decent go at it. And Quasi, I will relish AA having to fork out money on a BIKE.

And the 4 year thing? Ain't true. Sure that was the bollocks they quoted me on the phone. I said I'd be riding for 18 months, was currently riding a 636 (as I had for the last 6 months), was thinking of upgrading to a 1000, had NEVER ridden a 250 cos I learnt on a 400 (uninsured) and had a full bike license for only 15 months or so... They still insured me.

And I made full disclosure - I faxed them a copy of my LTNZ driving history.

Ironically I work for a subsidary of the parent company that owns Vero/AA, etc. Fortunately we have nothing to do with general insurance, therefore no conflict of interest.

Tricia1000
21st June 2006, 22:55
hi guys and gals,
Again thanks for all your help so far. Will prob do another poll soon, and try to get the other insurance companies on it, like IAG and vero, AA etc.
Someone phoned me last night twice from an 06 number. Don't know if it was for training or to do with the insurance poll. Could you please ring again, and leave a message.
Thanks,
tricia

warewolf
23rd June 2006, 02:20
Agree that third party is a must...$24 a year? Why the hell wouldn't you have it??? It's a no-brainer risk/reward ratio.

Was insured by AMI for many years. Had to have another policy before they'd insure a bike... contents here we come... and that came in handy when I stacked the bike and had to replace riding suit, boots, gloves, helmet; bike and myself were OK. They were way cheaper than any other "good deal" that anyone ever told me about...and I always rang around at every renewal, or to check out any "good deal" to see if they were worth checking at renewal. None ever came close (for my situation - YMMV). Never made a bike claim but others were handled well (house got burgled the same day I stacked the bike - and they nicked the engagement ring which was to be presented that weekend, which spoiled things a bit).

My 'pillion in a million' worked for a rather large multi-national insurance co for a few years. Her advice when shopping for insurance: how readily do they pay out? Premium cost is secondary to getting your payout. Which is what some people here have described.

I will never, ever give Swann another cent. Got ripped off by them big time. Their assessor admitted he gets a percentage of anything he cuts out of the quote. Since I put in a genuine repair quote, every dollar of his cut came straight out of the repairs that should have been made to my bike. This assessor specialises in "the cover up" rather than "the repair" and personally pockets a percentage of the difference. Don't get me started... :angry:

I appreciate what those with cheaper bikes have been saying about self-insurance. I self-insured my road/trail/enduro bike as the annual premium plus excess were around half what the bike was worth. Fixes for that bike were cheap; I was prepared to risk a write-off event. However, adding another bike to the stable, and an expensive new one at that, meant that fleet insurance through John Baker was now more cost effective than AMI, plus it covered the road/trail bike at a reasonable increment.

Tricia1000
25th June 2006, 19:33
Of the 55 people who have voted "other" on this poll, I would like to run another poll for those people. Could you please PM me the names of other insurance companies that should be included. On my list to go on the next poll are IAG, Vero, and AA insurance. What others should be included?

Tricia

Hitcher
25th June 2006, 19:46
Why don't you save yourself the trouble and give Dave at Kiwibike a call tomorrow morning, first thing. You'll find all the relevant numbers on his web site www.kiwibike.co.nz

Huntaway
25th June 2006, 20:46
My cover is with Classic. I'm sure my policy says they are underwritten by State but its a while since I've looked at it and things may have changed.
They were significantly cheaper than AMI, despite my car and contents being with AMI.
Interesting to see positive feedback here about AMI. Have to say I had no problems at all with AMI paying out when I wrote off my Honda several years ago on the back of a cow...
Of course Classic is only available to us older farts and I notice one quirk in the policy is that cover is at risk if the bike is left unattended in an unlocked condition. A standard steering lock is acceptable so I dont find that too much of an imposition. Haven't had any claims so cant comment about that.

apteryx_haasti
25th June 2006, 21:05
When I got my bike, I called AMI (existing car, house, contents company) and they WOULD NOT insure my bike because I didn't have a garage, only a car port. Rang round all the other main companies (Tower, State etc...) and they wouldn't insure me because I didn't have any other policies with them. Not wanting to change all my other insurance over, I rang my bank - and they suggested National Auto Club. Gave them a call - cheap quote (like $270 or something like it) for full cover, highish excess ($600 on $3300 bike) but can park in my car port. I keep it locked to a post in my car port.

So - what's the deal with the garage requirement? I know bikes are "portable" but if you can either keep it out of sight (e.g. behind your house) or locked to a structure, what's the diff? Not impressed with AMI being so unhelpful considering all the other business (and lack of any previous claim) I put their way. Needless to say I'll be ringing around for new quotes for all my insurance when renewal time rolls around...

Jantar
25th June 2006, 21:10
When I got my bike, I called AMI (existing car, house, contents company) and they WOULD NOT insure my bike because I didn't have a garage, only a car port. Rang round all the other main companies (Tower, State etc...) and they wouldn't insure me because I didn't have any other policies with them. Not wanting to change all my other insurance over, I rang my bank - and they suggested National Auto Club. Gave them a call - cheap quote (like $270 or something like it) for full cover, highish excess ($600 on $3300 bike) but can park in my car port. I keep it locked to a post in my car port.

So - what's the deal with the garage requirement? I know bikes are "portable" but if you can either keep it out of sight (e.g. behind your house) or locked to a structure, what's the diff? Not impressed with AMI being so unhelpful considering all the other business (and lack of any previous claim) I put their way. Needless to say I'll be ringing around for new quotes for all my insurance when renewal time rolls around...

I'm with AMI, and after the comments about them not covering bikes for theft unless in a locked garage i got out my policy and had a very thorough read. No-where does it state that the bike must be kept in a locked garage. Just as well, because we only have a farm implement shed which is unable to be locked. I might add that when I took out the policy they didn't mention this requirent verbally either.

James Deuce
25th June 2006, 21:59
I'm with AMI, and after the comments about them not covering bikes for theft unless in a locked garage i got out my policy and had a very thorough read. No-where does it state that the bike must be kept in a locked garage. Just as well, because we only have a farm implement shed which is unable to be locked. I might add that when I took out the policy they didn't mention this requirent verbally either.

I rode the GSX600 for 2 months inadvertantly without theft insurance when I was parking at work. I was doing my annual "policy check" and found that it was only covered for fire and theft in my own garage. AMI verbally confirmed the locked garage, plus chained (specifically stated chained in the policy), plus steering lock, and they were dodgy about covering it even then because we have a powered garage door. No actual lock you see. When confronted they claimed it was a requirement of insuring motorcycles, had always been so. They then kindly raised my premium because I had "admitted" that I was commuting on the bike. So I spoke to Oscar and he recommended Classic Cover.

AMI do pay out on claims though, and they offered a pickup service and motel if required, and even offered to call an Ambulance when I rang to ask for the claim forms while I waited to be collected from the side of the road.

I'd offer to scan the document and post it, but it's in a box in the garage and I can't be bothered digging it out.

Her_C4
25th June 2006, 22:13
Of the 55 people who have voted "other" on this poll, I would like to run another poll for those people. Could you please PM me the names of other insurance companies that should be included. On my list to go on the next poll are IAG, Vero, and AA insurance. What others should be included?

Tricia

Classic Cover - best (and cheapest) all round deal for me :yes:

riffer
12th July 2006, 14:02
for ebike insurance.

Their website enables you to get an online quote:

http://ebikeinsurance.co.nz/

May work for some of you, however it worked out at twice what I pay through AA, and I made a claim a year ago on a completely written off bike.

GR81
12th July 2006, 14:53
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32224

booyah! :blah:

SimJen
25th July 2006, 10:20
I got a few quotes for my Gixxer Thou.

My current insurer is AMI and I pay $900 fully comp a year. Im 32 with full no claims and $600 excess

John Baker: $755 with $1000 excess, and a 10% premium if I want to pay monthly.

Classic Cover: $535 with a $500 excess

Looks like I'll be going classic cover then :)
Just need to confirm track day cover and a few other things, but Im all for saving $30 a month :)

buellbabe
25th July 2006, 10:30
Whats the sum insured?

SimJen
25th July 2006, 10:31
$11k as it has a few mods too.

buellbabe
25th July 2006, 10:42
In that case my $700 with $1500 excess for full comp on $16g is still competitive. Thats with Protector.

SimJen
25th July 2006, 10:46
Haven't tried protecta, Classic cover sounds the goer at the moment. I've only heard good things about them.

quackquack
25th July 2006, 10:59
I can only say be very careful on the protector excess cause the single bike crash excess is 25% and that means on your 16K bike it is a 4k excess way to high for my liking. Check the fine print does that classic include track days or even rider training days because that is a very good price.

SimJen
25th July 2006, 11:08
Its currently just a web quote at the moment, but I've asked the question. I prefer to have it all covered if possible and I don't mind upping the excess to $1k to keep the cost down a bit.

buellbabe
25th July 2006, 12:07
I can only say be very careful on the protector excess cause the single bike crash excess is 25% and that means on your 16K bike it is a 4k excess way to high for my liking.
I have claimed with Protector ( my Ex went down the road on it... ) and my policy is DEFINATELY only $1500 excess, there is no 25% fine print in my policy. AND they let me keep the parts that got replaced. Everything that was slightly marked was replaced so I ended up with alot of spares ;-)

judecatmad
2nd August 2006, 17:10
We're with TOWER for both our bikes. We only have GN250s so the insurance is pretty cheap ($28/month for mine, $15/month for hubby's...probably pay more in insurance than hubby's bike is worth!! :rofl: ). Covered for all events - no locked garage limitation. Customer Service at TI is pretty average but I've worked for TOWER group so I can get to who I need to talk to pretty easy! AMP (who I now work for) sent me out a policy which only covered us for theft from a locked garage - and this was because I told them the bikes were kept in a locked garage overnight....go figure! I tried to argue the 'but what about the other 90% of the time' thing, but they weren't having any of it! (made me wonder if there was a market for an inflatable/pop-up garage you can carry in your backpack to satisfy your insurer's stupid conditions....:sherlock: ) Do note, that it's not your pol doc which will tell you whether you're only covered for theft from a locked garage, but your policy schedule. Your schedule is in addition to your pol doc and any amendments to standard wording are listed there (good god I've worked in insurance too long :cry: ).

Roj
6th September 2006, 11:51
If you have a cheap bike then you should at least have third party insurance, doesn't cost much ($50-$100 per year) and on the day someone in front of you does something stupid and you hit them from behind it will save you a hell of a lot of trouble, been there done that...

it doesn't matter that you might not have been doing anything wrong, if you hit someone from behind you are deemed in the wrong because you "weren't able to stop in half the clear distance" :dodge:

I have always had insurance and while it has cost money I have had enough use of it (car & bike) to mean that I am better off with it than not

I don't have insurance, I've studied a little bit of Expected Utility Theory at uni. If I'm willing to bear some risk I should be financially better off. Might consider getting it when i'm slightly older and have a bike that's worth more.

Good idea about the grading of riders. How would you know if they were a good rider or not though? Most people can ride pretty well when they know they're being assessed.

cowboyz
6th September 2006, 12:16
What Mr Motu said. Had I insured all my vehicles over the years it would have cost me a LOT of money, and I would never have made a claim. Nor anyone else because of me. If I smash up my bike or car that is my problem. If I smash up yours and it is my fault I have the money to pay for it. It is called self insurance. Practised by government departments, big corporates.

If you are the sort of person who needs insurance, stay off the roads.

I agree. With the money I save by not giving it to an insurance company I can afford to pay if I do happen to hit someone and it is my fault. I take the educated gamble that I will pay enough attention to my riding and ride enough inside my limits to not need to have an insurance claim. If someone else hits me then they can pay up - either through their insurance or out of their own pocket.

cowboyz
6th September 2006, 12:21
If you have a cheap bike then you should at least have third party insurance, doesn't cost much ($50-$100 per year) and on the day someone in front of you does something stupid and you hit them from behind it will save you a hell of a lot of trouble, been there done that...

it doesn't matter that you might not have been doing anything wrong, if you hit someone from behind you are deemed in the wrong because you "weren't able to stop in half the clear distance" :dodge:

I have always had insurance and while it has cost money I have had enough use of it (car & bike) to mean that I am better off with it than not

Or you could practise self presavation and ride to the conditions and avoid hitting that car from behind. There are plenty of people who have riden for a lifetime without causing an accident. It is not rocket science. If you are the type who likes to ride with the theroy that "I am in the right so it wasn't my fault" then you probably need insurance. If you are the type of person who rides like everyone is out to get you and pay attention to what is going on around you then you probably don't need insurance.

BUNGY
8th September 2006, 21:45
I always get full cover. Used to for my scooter as well. Maybe im just a bit paranoid.

Roj
10th September 2006, 11:21
Or you could practise self presavation and ride to the conditions and avoid hitting that car from behind. There are plenty of people who have riden for a lifetime without causing an accident. It is not rocket science. If you are the type who likes to ride with the theroy that "I am in the right so it wasn't my fault" then you probably need insurance. If you are the type of person who rides like everyone is out to get you and pay attention to what is going on around you then you probably don't need insurance.

I am just dealing with insurance at the moment, my wife was knocked off her bike by an uninsured driver doing a right hand turn directly in front of her, she was riding to the conditions, had all her gear on, headlight on and witnesses at the accidnet say she was not speeding, she was doing everything the right way and still was hit by a driver making a mistake. I know in this case it was not hitting someone from behind.

The other driver was uninsured and does not have a current license, our insurance paid out the full value of the bike, did not deduct an excess and we do not lose our no claims because she was clearly not at fault.

it will take us about 15 years to pay the insurance company in premiums what they just paid us, excpet that we aren't paying them anything as the policy is now discontinued since the bike was written off...

cowboyz
10th September 2006, 11:34
Sure there is an exception to every rule. Sure I have had people pull out in front of me and swerve into my lane without watching. I have even scrapped my knee slider on the front of a truck that didn't give way and a roundabout. Believe me that one was really close. But in your example you could have chased the other party for the money. Sure it might take more effort than ringing an insurance company but down the right path and things work out. The other thing to look at is how much damage was actually done to the bike? Bad enough to be written off or could it be repaired cheaper with aftermarket parts and stuff? How many years have you paid insurance up to this point and why is your wife crashing a $15000 bike while you are riding a 27 year old bike?

Roj
11th September 2006, 18:56
Sure there is an exception to every rule. Sure I have had people pull out in front of me and swerve into my lane without watching. I have even scrapped my knee slider on the front of a truck that didn't give way and a roundabout. Believe me that one was really close. But in your example you could have chased the other party for the money. Sure it might take more effort than ringing an insurance company but down the right path and things work out. The other thing to look at is how much damage was actually done to the bike? Bad enough to be written off or could it be repaired cheaper with aftermarket parts and stuff? How many years have you paid insurance up to this point and why is your wife crashing a $15000 bike while you are riding a 27 year old bike?

a couple of points,

my wife did not crash her bike,

I ride what I choose

we obviously pay a hell of a lot less insurance than you do

I have had a car stolen, a couple of windscreens replaced, been burgled a few times, water damage to our 6 month old kitchen repaired when a plumbing fixture broke, over the years I have had my fair share of payouts, at the moment I would say I am on the plus side.

cowboyz
11th September 2006, 20:04
a couple of points,

my wife did not crash her bike,

I ride what I choose

we obviously pay a hell of a lot less insurance than you do

I have had a car stolen, a couple of windscreens replaced, been burgled a few times, water damage to our 6 month old kitchen repaired when a plumbing fixture broke, over the years I have had my fair share of payouts, at the moment I would say I am on the plus side.

ok

I must have misunderstood a couple of posts ago when you said your wife crashed her bike to mean that your wife crashed her bike.

No idea if you pay less insurance that I do. Maybe. Costs me a little bit but like all things I try to get the best deal I can.

In all years I have paid insurance for I have had 1 claim and that was for my golf clubs a couple of months back. They were stolen from work and they paid out a grand or so to replace them. I am well into the red with insurance. Maybe it is that you are well into the black that makes the premiums so costly? I don't fancy taking on risks for the house or contents on my own and for that reason I do pay and insurance company for these. The car is also a risk that I am not willing to pay for on my own because of its value so that is also insured. Never claimed on car and hopefully will never claim on the house. It is a calculated risk and right now the numbers don't stack up for those things not to be covered. The bike however just doesn't stack up to be worth insuring. If I had a $20k bike then that could be different. All I am saying is insurance is not complusary. It is a risk/reward thing. But you know this already and if you are running in the black.

Roj
11th September 2006, 22:12
ok

I must have misunderstood a couple of posts ago when you said your wife crashed her bike to mean that your wife crashed her bike.

As I said earlier she was hit by a driver that forgot to engage brain first where she was doing everything right and given no chance to avoid, to quote her words it was "O sh" never had time to finish the thought let alone react

Lias
12th September 2006, 20:23
I am just dealing with insurance at the moment, my wife was knocked off her bike ...

ok

Re-read what he wrote. There is a huge difference between saying someone crashed their bike, and someone was knocked off their bike.

quackquack
22nd September 2006, 09:15
I have to Laugh at the chase the uninsured third party for the money. I hope you look forward to getting your money at $10 a week. For a 15K bike it will only take 28 years to get your cash. Trust me they always pay as little as they can. You insure what you can't afford to lose or don't want to lose. There is not that many house fires but everyone has Fire cover on your house there are lots of bike crashes and lots of people without bike insurance you figure it out.

Roj
24th September 2006, 21:27
I have to Laugh at the chase the uninsured third party for the money. I hope you look forward to getting your money at $10 a week. For a 15K bike it will only take 28 years to get your cash. Trust me they always pay as little as they can. You insure what you can't afford to lose or don't want to lose. There is not that many house fires but everyone has Fire cover on your house there are lots of bike crashes and lots of people without bike insurance you figure it out.

I agree with that, it is why I advocate insurance on everything, my son had an old bike that was not worth a lot but we still had third party insurance on it so that if there was ever a problem, like someone opening a door on you, or as my son was only new to riding he made a mistake, the damage to someone elsesproperty was covered