PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sysadmin

pete376403
23rd May 2004, 23:45
When I log on. there will be a bunch of new posts (we are a chatty pack, no two ways about it)
Sometimes, as I am reading away, using the "new posts" button to go back to the list, and the number of new posts will suddenly go from (say) 2 pages worth to about three or four that are timestamped with in the past 15 minutes or so. Any ideas why this should be so?
Thanks

LB
24th May 2004, 05:54
I always use the "new posts" when I log in too.

I haven't noticed the number of pages changing while I'm online. Occasionally I'll notice a couple of new posts have appeared at the top of the first "new posts" page.

Perhaps it's because, Pete, when you log on there's heaps of others online posting, and maybe it "refreshes" every five or ten minutes rather than one at a time?

When I'm posting there's not often many others online.

Just a thought (I'm not very technologically minded so I might be completely off track with my suggestion!!).

RiderInBlack
24th May 2004, 06:47
I start with "New Subscribed Threads" in "User CP", but find that sometimes posts that I have not read yet dissappear off this list before I get a chance to read them (same happens with "New Posts").

I can only assume that I entered a "new time zone" and the older posts have been dropped from these lists. Which is why I click on "View all Subscribed Threads" in "User CP" to check to see if there are any posts I have not read yet.

Still not bad, thanks SpankMe, for something I am not paying for (and a lot better than a lot that I have).

Ms Piggy
24th May 2004, 08:26
A way around this that Kickaha taught me is by keeping the 'new posts' page open and then instead of left clicking on the new post right click and it will come up with a list of options - then left click on 'open in new window' and it will bring up the post in a new window. That way you will have the 'new post' window open all the time and it won't get refereshed.

I hope this makes sense! ;)

Ghost Lemur
24th May 2004, 08:40
A way around this that Kickaha taught me is by keeping the 'new posts' page open and then instead of left clicking on the new post right click and it will come up with a list of options - then left click on 'open in new window' and it will bring up the post in a new window. That way you will have the 'new post' window open all the time and it won't get refereshed.

I hope this makes sense! ;)

Or better yet. Using Mozilla/Firefox and opening all the new posts in a new tab. :D

Hoon
24th May 2004, 11:25
You have to make sure you use the back button to get back to the "New Posts" page or keep the window open. If you click on the link again (or even refresh the page which your browser settings might do) you will initiate a new search which will only return new posts made since your last visit a few mins ago.

SpankMe
24th May 2004, 11:35
You have to make sure you use the back button......

What that man said.

merv
24th May 2004, 12:17
Yep "back" button works fine for me. I just refesh the new messages page once I've checked them all out the first time as by then a few more will have come in.

Ms Piggy
24th May 2004, 17:12
Or better yet. Using Mozilla/Firefox and opening all the new posts in a new tab. :D

Now what the heck is that? I have seen you PC savvy guys bandy those words about and I have no idea what you are on about! :o

jrandom
24th May 2004, 17:33
Now what the heck is that?

Check out mozilla.org. It's a 'free as in speech and beer' web browser.

Beats the hell out of Internet Explorer.

SpankMe
24th May 2004, 18:19
Now what the heck is that?

I use Mozzila Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) instead of MicroSux bloody slow Outlook and Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) instead of MicroSux bloated Office.

Much happier with them than I was with MS shite. Of cause of true open source user would also run Linux instead of Windows.

SPman
24th May 2004, 18:25
I use Mozzila Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/) instead of MicroSux bloody slow Outlook and Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/) instead of MicroSux bloated Office.

Much happier with them than I was with MS shite. Of cause of true open source user would also run Linux instead of Windows.
I thought about Linux, but, being a lazy bugger, its not as "user friendly" as IE.
Firefox for me.And Open Office with a smattering of Lotus stuff

Badcat
24th May 2004, 18:45
i'm a mac user.
reliable unix based os.
very solid hardware (can't really help it when the OS maker also makes ALL the CPUs)
safari's a good browser too.
and getting SO Cheap!

K

riffer
24th May 2004, 22:03
Got a 166mhz laptop running Windows 98 & mozilla.org 1.2.1 I use in the lounge at home. works well with kb.

Also have a g4/400 sawtooth running mozilla & safari, a p3/500 running mozilla, and at work I use a p4/3000 runing mozilla firefox.

All work great with kb.

Screw internet exploder and its dodgy security (pop-ups, javascript etc).

Mozilla rules. :niceone: