PDA

View Full Version : Indicators have died

t3mp0r4ry nzr
20th June 2006, 15:14
everything was fine till last night when the indicators stopped working. 1st it was the left one then the right one decided to stop working. This morning before start up I thought I would try them again and aha! they worked, till I got out the drive and into my 1st turn off, nothing.

I have checked the basics, fuses are all good, no obvious loose connections or shorting etc. Any sugestions on what could be wrong. Indicators are kinda important on a daily rider... I just opened the indicator switch but cant see jack anyway so Im stumped at the moment

It has seen a bit of rain of late, so is it a case of moisture in somewhere??

????

Str8 Jacket
20th June 2006, 15:16
Checked the bulbs? Most bikes if one bulb is blown then both indicators on that side dont owrk... could be that one on each side has blown? Maybe...

T.W.R
20th June 2006, 15:21
loose connector on the flasher relay :wait:

skidMark
20th June 2006, 16:15
or the flasher relay has got full of water...ive had that happen before

try find a little sqaure box with two prongs on it one turned 90 degrees offset to the other will generally have a grey wire coming off it ... and the connector plug will be a sort of l shape....check thats not buggered.....

it will most likely be near the rider seat area of the bike you may be able to get at it from under the seat but unlikely .....but will genrally be under one of the side covers ( often the right side)

or as somebody else has said....got a loose wire

it's most likely the flasher relay because it controls both sides so if playing up will cause both to go funny...

so tip it upside down / take it apart very carfully and you will either get water coming out...or it will have a sort of powdery white look to the chip inside....

where the prongs are carefully move the sides of the main black outer box away and pull the middle out.... not just the metal prongs that whole "side" of the box .... and this way you can be sure to get all the water out....if it hasn't completely fried it may be ok...otherwise goto a bike shop and grab another one they are relatively cheap i think maybe 20 dollars or so

alternatively if you don't want to pull it apart you can always take it off and if you have friends with bikes plug it onto thiers and see what happens...it won't damage the electrics of thier bike or anything.

hope that helps

Cheers: MA

t3mp0r4ry nzr
21st June 2006, 14:18
thanks all for the help. After tearing the bike apart searching out the problem and replacing the indicator relay in the process, the problem persisted so it went to the shop. The problem: the switch. it was cleaned up and it works like new.:sick:

degrom
24th July 2006, 15:21
That's the fun and games of having a bike. At least you found the problem and you have a new indicator relay now.... LOL