PDA

View Full Version : Why does it look so easy?

Keystone19
21st June 2006, 11:43
Why does it look so easy to stop your bike, hop off, and then put the stand down?

And yet when I do it I feel unbalanced, awkward and worried that I'm going to drop the bike. Don't get me wrong, I can do it quite capably, do so regularly and have never dropped the bike, it's just that it always feels difficult.

Is it my size, strength, balance or a combination of all of these?

mikey
21st June 2006, 11:45
its casue you suck at pool, they go hand in hand

Devil
21st June 2006, 11:46
Eat more pies.

Fishy
21st June 2006, 11:48

Out of these I think the only thing would be balance as you aren't a shorty and Im sure you are strong enough, its just the way the weight distribution through your body changes when you move from the bike and then the extra weight from the bike as it slightly leans towards you as you hop off.

You will get use to it after a while.

Ixion
21st June 2006, 11:49
Odd , because I find the reverse. I always stop, get off, then do stand thing.

I find it feels very awkward odd and unbalanced fiddling round trying to flick the stand out whilst astride the machine.

Whereas, the other way is easy. Stop, foot down swing right leg over, and on the way down flick the stand (centre or side). All in one motion on a small bike.

Blackbird
21st June 2006, 11:51
At 5' 8" in old money, I'm a bit of a short arse for the Blackbird and the sidestand always goes down first if I'm rolling it off the centre stand and I get on from the side stand position. Getting off, the sidestand goes down first and I also hold the front brake on. Just playing the percentages, that's all:yes:

Two Smoker
Eat more pies.

Be a tubbos like Bruce and Daryl...

Keystone19
Odd , because I find the reverse. I always stop, get off, then do stand thing.

I find it feels very awkward odd and unbalanced fiddling round trying to flick the stand out whilst astride the machine.

Whereas, the other way is easy. Stop, foot down swing right leg over, and on the way down flick the stand (centre or side). All in one motion on a small bike.

Well I can do that on my Raleigh 20...

ManDownUnder
21st June 2006, 11:52
Don't know - because that's not the way I do it.

I stop, kick the stand down, lean the bike over and THEN get off. After a while I get to the point where I do it all in one motion without my feet touching the ground till I get off... but it takes time, and familirity with the bike (foot needs to find the stand first time...).

The RF has the added bonus of havoing a kill switch on the side stand... it means you don;t even bother hitting that switch (not that it's a lot of work...)

MDU

Devil
21st June 2006, 11:55
I stop, kick the stand down, lean the bike over and THEN get off. After a while I get to the point where I do it all in one motion without my feet touching the ground till I get off... but it takes time, and familirity with the bike (foot needs to find the stand first time...).

Heh, same. But when I do that I'll have already switched the bike off while coasting, and be pulling the keys out while i'm putting the side stand down (while still moving). So when I stop and touch down with the stand I can just walk straight off :D

ManDownUnder
21st June 2006, 11:56
Heh, same. But when I do that I'll have already switched the bike off while coasting, and be pulling the keys out while i'm putting the side stand down (while still moving). So when I stop and touch down with the stand I can just walk straight off :D

yeah - feels good when you get it right. It's just a balance thing...

Keystone19
21st June 2006, 11:56
I should clarify.

99% of the time I put the side stand down before hopping off the bike, but occasionally I don't for whatever reason.

And obviously on the race bike there is no stand so I have to get off and then try and get the rear stand on - now that is even worse!

I'd like to think I'd get used to it but no matter how many times I do it, I still feel awkward!

ManDownUnder
21st June 2006, 11:57
Why does it look so easy to stop your bike, hop off, and then put the stand down?

...snip...

To answer your question - I'd say height, weight (i.e. your centre of gravity) vs the bike's I wouldn't want to do it that way on the RF... I'd be worried it'd topple... (I'll try it today just to find out).

Keystone19
21st June 2006, 11:58

I'd like to ad the part where I can do that, walk away while pulling my helmet off, flicking my long blonde hair, just after I've given all the boys the learn on my Gixxer 1000...

Devil
21st June 2006, 12:01
I'd like to ad the part where I can do that, walk away while pulling my helmet off, flicking my long blonde hair, just after I've given all the boys the learn on my Gixxer 1000...
I didn't know you could ride in your sleep...

mstriumph
21st June 2006, 12:01
never thought about this before ......mebbe depends on the bike

i do it every time on the honda
did it every time on the trumpy
never do it on the fazer ['cause she's sooooooo much taller and heavier methinks]

wouldn't worry about it, one way or the other ........

cowpoos
21st June 2006, 12:04
if the bike feels unstable when you sitting on it trying to put the stand down...its probally coz your looking down at it...so you lost your sence of balance....if its something else...I hav no idea...

Finn
21st June 2006, 12:08
Actually, I think it's the same for riding. Everone else looks smooth and in control... or maybe that's just the case with me.

Ixion
21st June 2006, 12:28
Thing with putting the stand down before you get off is it can be dodgy, if you're short in the leg like me, so sitting on the bike you're on tip toe anyway.

If for any reason the stand retarcts (and some of the older ones were known for it) , an flicks back up again as you lean the bike, no way are you going to hold a heavy bike that leaned over to go onto a stand that's not there, if you're astride it.

Whereas standing beside it, if the stand does retract I can still easily hold the bike up and flick it down again.

Harder to describe than do, that

Keystone19
21st June 2006, 12:31
Ixion: you're right, one of the advantages of getting off the bike and then putting the stand down is you avoid the potential problem of the stand retracting.

Mstriumph: you're right too. It is not something to be worried about, it's just a lament I think.

Motu
21st June 2006, 12:33
I'm left handed,so I get off on the right side of the bike,also I'm often working on bikes and the right side is where most things happen.So the kickstand goes down and I get off the other side,then lower it onto the stand.Getting older on tall bikes and I have lost the ''swing''....like my left leg don't go over the bike anymore.So the new method is sidestand down,put on stand,then dismount John wayne style.

imdying
21st June 2006, 12:39
What does being left handed have to do with what side you get off the bike?!? The bike leans left, then you get off on the left which is then shorter between your crotch and the ground.

Ixion
21st June 2006, 12:42
Just natural I think. I get off THEN put stand down, so it makes no difference which way I dismount (though centre stand handles are always on the left side - discrimination, that). But it feels very awkward and strange dismounting (or mounting) on the right. I imagine dismounting to the left would feel as strange for a leftie. (I'm right handed)

Motu
21st June 2006, 13:05
It's just natural to be on the right side - I always thought people who got on and off on the left were a bit wierd,like,''why do they do that?'' The right hand side of a bike is the ''business side'' - that's where the kickstarter is (ok,be ghey if you like) standard carbs have their controls on the right,a ''left'' carb has them on the left,ignition points were always on the right(although flywheel mags and magnetos were on the left),the ''timing cover'' is on the right.It's just the natural side to work on the bike....seems perfectly sensable to get off on the side you are working on to me.I never realised it was because I was left handed until someone pointed it out.

Ixion
21st June 2006, 13:14
Nah, you're just abnormal
And Amal carb ticklers were on the left. And the points on most mags (K2F and such) were accessed from the left. And chain is on the left usually. And sometimes kick start is on the left , too. So there.

emaN
21st June 2006, 13:21
Normally I pull up, in as styley a manner as poss
If ground is level, snick her into neutral (quick clutch check)
Both feet down. Sidestand down. Tip bike over, holding bars (just in case).
Dismount.

Only place i've had to do what you describe is at Blackbird's up at Coro Town, on his steep driveway. Snick her into gear, turn off, hop off, stand down, tip over.

Any other time it just feels too awkward..so no, it's not just you!

scumdog
21st June 2006, 13:29
It's just natural to be on the right side - I always thought people who got on and off on the left were a bit wierd,like,''why do they do that?'' The right hand side of a bike is the ''business side'' - that's where the kickstarter is (ok,be ghey if you like) standard carbs have their controls on the right,a ''left'' carb has them on the left,ignition points were always on the right(although flywheel mags and magnetos were on the left),the ''timing cover'' is on the right.It's just the natural side to work on the bike....seems perfectly sensable to get off on the side you are working on to me.I never realised it was because I was left handed until someone pointed it out.

Same as you Motu - a lefty.

My bro told me it was 'unnatural' to get on from the right side.

I thought along your lines with the addition that if I screwd-up getting on the bike would fall away from me...

Oh, and until reading this thread I had never considered getting off my bike before putting the stand down - it's always hit neuteral as I stop, hold hand-brake on, flick down side stand, get off bike.

Nicksta
22nd June 2006, 05:43
I have never dismounted from my bike before putting the stand down, I dont think i could fathom how.... for me, its stop, stand down, hop off.... (probably cos my feet dont touch the ground properly and bikes are heavy for litttle me) either that or i'll get that BMW that has the little wheels that go down when your going real slow so you dont have to put your feet down at all ;)

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2006, 06:22
what's wrong with putting the side-stand on before getting off your bike? my ct110, i use the sidestand LOTS AND LOTS all day long, and when you get 'good like me', you can put the sidestand down before you come to a stop, keep your balance, and as the bike goes to the left, you meet the left foot to the ground, and then swing off your bike.. i reckon it probably looks pretty good..

With my Kinetic though, i got rid of the sidestand, and only have the centrestand, which i don't have any 'balance' problems with

ZeroIndex
22nd June 2006, 06:55
I'm left handed,so I get off on the right side of the bike,also I'm often working on bikes and the right side is where most things happen.So the kickstand goes down and I get off the other side,then lower it onto the stand.Getting older on tall bikes and I have lost the ''swing''....like my left leg don't go over the bike anymore.So the new method is sidestand down,put on stand,then dismount John wayne style.
buy a ct110.. they've got a a sidestand on both sides.. and it's a step through :D

mstriumph
23rd June 2006, 13:08

:shit:

i'm left-handed

i'd never dream of getting off the bike on the rhs ....... the stand's on the left, the bike leans left when it rests on it - i get off on the left :confused:

crashe
23rd June 2006, 13:22
On the cruiser....... I slowly stop the bike and have put my foot on the side stand and it is down before I have stopped on most occassions but not always. Sometimes I do it after I have stopped.
Depends on where I am stopping.
When the side stand is fully down I then check the level of the ground so that the bike will be secure and not topple over.
I then place my left foot on ground, lean the bike over and swing the right leg over. Again check that the bike wont topple over.
Then lock the front wheel after removing my helmet.
:scooter: :scooter:

ZeroIndex
23rd June 2006, 14:44
everyone is making this sound too hard.. it's just the same as doing u-turns.. you can either do them, or you can't..

..now.. the trick is to take gear off/put it on quickly.. if anyone has some good tips, please tell me.. green rep is at stake..

Quartida
23rd June 2006, 20:47
..now.. the trick is to take gear off/put it on quickly.. if anyone has some good tips, please tell me.. green rep is at stake..

Don't take it off.

Pathos
23rd June 2006, 21:29
I think it really depends on how wide your tyres are / center for gravity. If my fxr is leaning an inch to the wrong side I need to throw all my weight to stop it going over. saying that I'm not that heavy ... :/

Beemer
29th June 2006, 09:39
what's wrong with putting the side-stand on before getting off your bike?

Nothing! I thought it wasn't the done thing to get on and off your bike with the sidestand down so I was a very nervous learner. Finally someone said to me "why don't you get on the bike while the stand is down?" and I admitted I didn't think you were meant to! So I also put the stand down before getting off the bike and leave it down until I get on the bike. I always hold the bars and am careful getting on and off, and I've never had any problems.

I'm only 153cm tall so for me it's a practical thing - and also one less thing to worry about. As for getting off the bike on the right side - ooh, how weird! I would have huge problems doing that!