PDA

View Full Version : Cajun's - test ride of GSXR 600 k6

Cajun
21st June 2006, 13:25
Okay just had the pleasure of taking a k6 600 for a test ride from motogb @ the mount. Over the kamais and back, and thru a couple of small back roads i know about.

My look at the bike is more, of a road riders, than TS, racer look at it

Over all feel, 'yeah its okay'
The setup on this model wasn't really the best, (front far to hard, rear soft[feel like a pogo stick when on gas thru coroners]) So didn't help with some of the feeling.

Motor - 'where as my ram area growl gone!!!!', I also noted, anything under 6,000rpm it sounded like it was running rough, semi missing, alot of that i think is due to the exup valve, and also below this 6000 you might as well get out and push. from 6000-9000, its acceptable(also above 6000 is where the exup valve opens so it doesn't so rough sounding) you have to have it above 9000rpm before you really start to feel like you are really moving all way up to the 16,000rpm redline. The motor from 9000 on feels much improved from the k4s(so it should if it as robed power from down low). The clutch action, is smooth, and feels tons lighter than my k4, which is good, since the gear box, doesn't feel over all as postive as the k4, its just as smooth, just not as positive, noticed it didn't like clutchless upchanges unless you are really reving it. ALSO got to love the slipper clutch.

Styling, well each to there own, personally the fairing styling i do not like, parts i do, stubby exhust, swing arm, and well thats about it. but styling is alot about personal preference. I also liked the white face rev counter, compared to the black face on the k4.

The seating position, feels alot lower(is lower), and feel like you are more sitting in than on top of the bike, When sitting far forward on the seat on my k4, my knees hit the frame, it does not on the k6, which was good. The seat felt very firm, but this could improve a bit with age. The clip ons must be lower or tank higher or something, since i noticed when hard on the gas, sitting below the top of tank. which felt strange, coming from the k4

Conlusion -
Would i Buy one, no, over all to me the styling does nothing for me, and it doesn't seam as over all good package comapred to my k4, some nice to haves, i think over all the motor needs a bit more devolpment time, maybe the k7 will be a vast improvement. I guess it be fine if you are only a weekend rider, but does not make a bike you can have fun on the weekend, and ride home to work during the week.

Many things i noticed over all with the gsxr design, of stuff, is not very well thought out, eg bare clutch cable sitting out to the world, to rust away quickly.

Over all i am bit dispointed, being a whole new motor/design for the k6 (same motor from k1-k5) i though it would be much improved, and over all they have seamed to go down the as all of other 600s move all the power from down low to up high, which might work best on race track, but 90% of these bikes won't really get to see a race track.

Next week - the 750, wakaito side of kamais was starting to look a little dark, so didn't wanna take 750 today