PDA

View Full Version : Getting my restricted licesne

Andrew
15th April 2003, 13:02
I've been riding for 6 months now, mainly communting to and from town.

In a little over two weeks I'm going for my restricted license test. Is there anything I show know? Any funny stories? General Comments? etc

Cheers.:D

Mitch
15th April 2003, 13:23
Hey Andrew,  Make sure the bike is 100% road worthy (ie brake lights work) hehe  First time I went to sit mine they failed me because the brake light didn't work off the front lever, it actually wasn't neccessary on this particular bike, to get a wof it didn't need to work.  :brick:  Go Figure

Out side of that BEST OF LUCK, it's pretty easy!!

750Y
15th April 2003, 13:52
should be easy for You Andrew, just be anal about all the road rules when they follow You, give Yourself plenty of time and room and pay Your money. good luck and good riding

wkid_one
15th April 2003, 16:22
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AN 'L' PLATE WHEN YOU GO AS THEY WON'T LET YOU SIT YOUR TEST WITHOUT ONE

SPman
15th April 2003, 18:18
Also,don't cut corners when turning at intersections - they like you to swing wide ie stay in the "lane".

aff-man
17th April 2003, 22:33
The guy out at vinz was pretty easy. I went at 4:30 and because he wanted to go home he kinda told me this short route to go(basically round the block) and if i got lost to head back too the testing station. Well i managed to turn down the wrong street at a 5 way traffic circle but he gave it to me anyway. Whole thing took about 7 mins. Good luck

SpankMe
18th May 2003, 14:32
I don't know what it's like now, but when I went for mine many years ago on my Honda CB250rs, he told me to ride the 50 meters up the road, turn around and come back. I did that and when I stopped he said
"<i>ok, you passed. Your restricted licence will be in the mail.</i>" :done:

MikeL
18th May 2003, 21:00
That was pretty common back in the sixties and seventies. Mine was once round the block with the MOT cop following behind. No comment, no criticism, no advice, just "O.K, you passed". Looking at the Rode Code now and the graduated licensing system I think it's a bit different these days...
Hey Andrew, how did you get on? :niceone: ??

SpankMe
18th May 2003, 21:06
sixties and seventies :shit:?! I'm not that old, yet. na this was in the late eighties. The guy wanted to follow me around on a police bike, but he couldn't get hold of one at the time.

babyB
19th May 2003, 00:02
just dont panic and youll be sweet. good luck:niceone:

twistymover
19th May 2003, 01:26
Originally posted by SpankMe
sixties and seventies :shit:?! I'm not that old, yet.
Don't panic SpankMe, you will be.

BigB
19th May 2003, 07:50
when I did mine it was pissing down with rain, the cop didn't want to get wet so we only went around the block:D :D :D

O for the good old days

MikeL
19th May 2003, 08:05
Originally posted by SpankMe
but when I went for mine many years ago
Late 80s!! Which just proves that Einstein was right, and that time is indeed relative...

Andrew
19th May 2003, 12:14
Luckily I passed, I didn't realise how easy it was!!
The testing officier asked me to ride up the road and over a couple of round-a-bouts, through a set of lights and a left turn. He gave me the instructions orally before the test, and followed me in his car. When I had pulled up waiting for further instructions, he said to me "Now ride back to the AA while I right out your licence". :)

No probs, just an expensive 10 mins ($80).

bluninja
19th May 2003, 14:14
So don't you have to take a more stringent test for your full license in NZ?

In the UK insturctors train you offroad (as here), but then take you out and supervise you on road to see that you can do the basics of turns, traffic lights and roundabouts before signing you off as fit for your L plate.

The test itself is a pursuit affair with the examiner following and instructing over the intercom. My examiner was in a car, and I kept losing him at junctions. So he would tell me to pull over and wait till he caught up(4 times). My test lasted 50 minutes!!! I was told afterwards that occasionally they go through absolutely everything to ensure that the training school are training riders properly.

Once through the test I was then able to learn to ride properly on a big bike, guess I failed that bit then:o

&nbsp;

TTFN

MikeL
19th May 2003, 20:45
Originally posted by bluninja

The test itself is a pursuit affair with the examiner following and instructing over the intercom.
According to my latest edition of the Road Code this is supposed to be what happens in N.Z. Has anyone gone through this?? Sounds like you didn't have radio comms Andrew?

MikeL
19th May 2003, 21:26
P.S.
Andrew, congratulations on passing! :niceone:

Marmoot
19th May 2003, 22:38
Must be the weirdest full licence test ever in NZ:

I did it on my Fireblade (yes, 900) because I had overseas licence where there was no gradation system (so they take it as a full). Then I asked the AA officer how fast I should go (don't want to fail again. 2 weeks prior to that I failed because of going too slow.....40 in 50 zone). He told me "60". So off I went out with 60 all the way around the city.
I passed with full mark. :eek:

bluninja
20th May 2003, 09:24
I had a UK license, just had to sit a multi choice theory paper...even turned up in a car to take the bike test :D

TTFN

Dave
20th May 2003, 10:41
Got booked a few years ago-passed a cop doing 220k up the motorway,by the time he caught up with me i had left the motorway and was cruising up a 50k road within the limit.
He had been too slow to clock my speed so when he finally stopped me,he did the typical thing and wrote out a ticket for 149k/hr.(the highest ticket he could write without it automatically going to court)
So i took them to task and went to court with it-official charge was for exceeding 100k/hr-i pleaded guilty but told the judge that there was no way i was doing 149k/hr (its the truth).
Judge let me off,no demerits,but as a slap on the wrist he made me resit the practical test-to refresh my memory!
Good fun fronting up to do a test in full leathers on a GSXR750.
Testing cop said go any speed you want-but not too fast and signed off the court oredr straight away.
YAY for the bad guys.

Andrew
20th May 2003, 21:59
No, there was no way I had to use an intercom, and just aswell, cos its not the sort of thing you can practice for.

True, the testing officier asked me to stay above 55kph but under 65!

bikerboy
20th May 2003, 23:17
Andrew, which testing office did you go to?

I wonder if only the major ones do the intercom thing due to costs?.:p

Coldkiwi
21st May 2003, 12:39
yeah.. road code says you should use an intercom.... but when I did my restricted&nbsp;a few years ago through VINZ, they said they hadn't got organised with that because they would have to deal with the health issue of common earpieces/mouth pieces etc. so they just followed in the car and indicated (lots easier than having some bugger ask you curly questions about hazard avoidance while you're riding!). still the status last year when i did my full.

Haven't heard of anywhere that does use them.

it is pathetically easy though. Mind you... i think if you can prove you've been commuting from howick to the city for 2 years (like I did) and are still alive you should get the full licence by default! no&nbsp;tester is going to assess your hazard identidification and avoidance abilities more than crazy auckland drivers :P