PDA

View Full Version : Forum Split - Tourers

Joni
21st June 2006, 17:23
We have decided to split the sports bikes and tourers forums so that they can each have their own forum. This forum can be used for all tourer related threads as well as for people who don’t ride either traditional Sports or Cruiser type bikes, like commuter/road style bikes or dual purpose bikes. :scooter:

Hopes this helps the guys like XP and Motu :blah:

Ixion
21st June 2006, 17:24
Oh, excellent. It has long niggled me tourers not having their own world.

EDIT: What about sports-tourers? Always soneone godda be difficult, eh

Squeak the Rat
21st June 2006, 17:26
What about sports-tourers?

It had to be asked:innocent:

[Edit:] Ooop Silmultaneous post with Ixions edit..... Make that two difficult someones.

SpankMe
21st June 2006, 17:35
Sport tourers are still sport bikes.

Can mods of the sport forum start moving the touring related threads into this forum please. Also if any members know of threads that need to be moved, just PM a link to one of the mods listed at the bottom of the forum.

Maha
21st June 2006, 17:37
Yeah, mines a sports/tourer, i wont know what to do now, god im in limbo.
Guess i will just have to do the opposite of 'limbo' and get over it......:yes:

oldrider
21st June 2006, 17:45
Where does division end? Like where do venture bikes actually fit in?
Just a simple question for consideration. Cheers John.

Big Dave
21st June 2006, 18:50
Personally I think there are way too many categories already.

There is a typo in the sub heading.

MidnightMike
21st June 2006, 18:53
Thats just racist... :shake:

Big Dave
21st June 2006, 18:56
Thats just racist... :shake:

I don't care. Those catagorians give me the shits. Dewy decimal or the highway I say.

Hitcher
21st June 2006, 18:58
Woo hoo! The squids get their own forum.

Joni
21st June 2006, 19:04
There is a typo in the sub heading.Ta Dave!

:blah:

Madness
21st June 2006, 19:08

Indeed. If anyone begs to differ they are welcome to follow me over the Taka's any time.:nya:

Hitcher
21st June 2006, 19:29
There's a little voice inside my head that's saying "Hitcher. Buy a Kawasaki."

Lias
21st June 2006, 19:40
Dear god noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

James Deuce
21st June 2006, 19:44

Better be a ZX14 or a Mean Streak, or you're going to look like a Grizzly on tricycle.

Hitcher
21st June 2006, 19:47
Better be a ZX14 or a Mean Streak, or you're going to look like a Grizzly on tricycle.
The little voice mumbled something about a ZZR1200...

James Deuce
21st June 2006, 19:51
Oh yeah, that'd be OK too.

Headlights of doom.

But which forum would you belong to and does this mean the STeed is dead?

Hitcher
21st June 2006, 20:07
But which forum would you belong to and does this mean the STeed is dead?
[/LEFT]
Dunno about "dead". It's definitely in the ICU and there's this weird guy called House who has diagnosed histoplasmosis. But he's been wrong before, apparently...

RiderInBlack
21st June 2006, 20:24
Cool two forums for me now. But really what's the point:whocares: "Roxanne" is a sports/tourer. Sometime I ride her like a tourer, sometime a bit like a sports. But what is that to do with KB? Even if I didn't ride sprot stile I would take interest in their posts. Same goes for Touring. It's not like we leave the girls to it in the "Biker Angels (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)" forum. And It's cool that Motu gives us Tar-riders a hard time even though he's a "dirty" rider, LOL. Even the Cruisers have good points for us ta learn from.

Personally after I have got through my sub'ed Threads, I go ta New Posts (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=44) or see what's new on the Home (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/) page. Never really get in ta looking things up via the individual Kiwi Biker forums (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/index.php) unless the Search Forums does not come up with what I am looking for.

SO what is the point?.

MD
21st June 2006, 20:28
We have decided to split the sports bikes and tourers forums so that they can each have their own forum.
No, No come back we miss you already. It's so lonely over here in the sports bike section.
Members will be going mental trying to decide where they fit in. I can hear the tormented souls already. Oh dear I own a tourer type bike but ride it like a sports bike.. where do I post, where do I belong in life.

edit- and shouldn't the 'others' be called Sports Bikes, not Sport bikes

Madness
21st June 2006, 20:45
The little voice mumbled something about a ZZR1200...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=645308&postcount=3

Mumbled huh? Last time I give you advice. And there was me thinking you were leaning toward the Ulysses.

Skunk
21st June 2006, 21:05
Dunno about "dead". It's definitely in the ICU and there's this weird guy called House who has diagnosed histoplasmosis. But he's been wrong before, apparently...
Saw it today. Didn't look too nice. I think you should go Green. You had less trouble. :nya:

sels1
21st June 2006, 21:21

Dont listen to the voices.......

until you have looked here : http://www.triumphnz.co.nz/

Discerning chap like you should find something to suitable...?

Hitcher
21st June 2006, 21:28
Discerning chap like you should find something to suitable...?
With a screen, no spokes, not too much chrome (or crooks and nannies) and room for luggage? That leaves the Triumph ...?

ogr1
21st June 2006, 21:42
Define "Tourer". How many miles does any one bike have to do to become a tourer?
Same goes for "Sports" how many track days (if any?) before you have a sports bike.

Squeak the Rat
22nd June 2006, 07:31
And I've been concerned about the amount of time perusing these forums recently....now another one to look through...... I might do some work today :rofl:

idb
22nd June 2006, 07:53
Define "Tourer". How many miles does any one bike have to do to become a tourer?
Same goes for "Sports" how many track days (if any?) before you have a sports bike.
Maybe "Tourer" refers to the rider and not the bike.
You can still tour on a 999 - or a 888 for that matter.

Edbear
22nd June 2006, 07:56
You can still tour on a 999 - or a 888 for that matter.

Good point! I ride a "Sports-Tourer" but physically I'd probably be described as a "Cruiser"! Doubt I could tour on a Ducati sports bike!:second:

Transalper
22nd June 2006, 18:07
Well I tour on an adventure bike so i fit here perfectly :niceone:

Scorpygirl
22nd June 2006, 18:22
Rhino rides a GoldWing which is termed a Grand Tourer!!! :blip: He wants to know if Grand Tourers can have their own forum too!!! :shutup: :killingme

Bonez
22nd June 2006, 19:19
Yesterdays sport tourers, which where the day befores sprotbikes, are todays tourers so obvoiusly should go in the touring section along with sprot bikes :wait:

Bonez
22nd June 2006, 19:25
You can still tour on a 999 - or a 888 for that matter.Agreed. You can also tour on so called commuters, GB400s for example :blip:

Big Dave
22nd June 2006, 23:19
Doubt I could tour on a Ducati sports bike!:second:

Or why you would want to. Any squid bike - It's just unpleasant after 2 hours. Wrist pain, knee ache. Ferk that.

scumdog
23rd June 2006, 00:52
Good point! I ride a "Sports-Tourer" but physically I'd probably be described as a "Cruiser"! Doubt I could tour on a Ducati sports bike!:second:

And I have a T (for Touring) Sport, where do I fit in? Oh the agony of it all, the anguish of deciding!!!!

idb
23rd June 2006, 07:54
Or why you would want to. Any squid bike - It's just unpleasant after 2 hours. Wrist pain, knee ache. Ferk that.
It all adds to the experience!
When you stop to have a yarn to your fellow tourers you can still discuss the weather, the sheep shit on the road, the damp spots, the cops etc like all the cruiser types - but those of us on sprotsbikes can compare aches & pains as well.

Big Dave
23rd June 2006, 12:12
And I have a T (for Touring) Sport, where do I fit in?

At the back.

RiderInBlack
23rd June 2006, 13:04
but those of us on sprotsbikes can compare aches & pains as well.so can some of the HD riders:nya:

Skyryder
23rd June 2006, 20:57
I just like it simple................there are two kinds of bikes...............those with engines and those without.

Skyryder

Ixion
23rd June 2006, 22:12
But but but --- What about bike with engines that ARE NOT RUNNING?

scumdog
23rd June 2006, 23:46
so can some of the HD riders:nya:

Yet somebody had the nerve to call my new HD an 'armchair'!!!!:gob:

Kickaha
24th June 2006, 08:24

How dare they! I would have said a sofa :bleh:

Ixion
24th June 2006, 11:21
Well, Norton used to do a range of featherbed models.

Big Dave
24th June 2006, 14:51

Nah - That's not an armchair, this is an armchair.

http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/ssavers/ultra.jpg

The stereo in isn't bad either. I had some slight clearance issues with my feet and the bodywork and the pedals, but apart from that the most comfortable bike I've ridden.

It's amps rental - wonderful way to spend an afternoon smelling the roses.

oldrider
24th June 2006, 15:32
Well, Norton used to do a range of featherbed models.
Whatever happened to all those Norton Featherbeds they were bloody good frames. (IMO)
A friend had a 500cc twin (with the flat mufflers) back in the fifties and that bike was a performer for the day too. I loved riding it.

Big Dave
24th June 2006, 17:34
Whatever happened to all those Norton Featherbeds they were bloody good frames. (IMO)
A friend had a 500cc twin (with the flat mufflers) back in the fifties and that bike was a performer for the day too. I loved riding it.

Once their motors started producing 60+hp the frames torque flexed badly under load.
Lower power applications only according to Bacon.

oldrider
25th June 2006, 12:39
Once their motors started producing 60+hp the frames torque flexed badly under load.
Lower power applications only according to Bacon.
Thank you Big Dave.
I have a soft spot for those bikes because borrowing the one my friend had taught me how much I could get away with on a "quiet bike".
My rowdy old singles kept me in a lot of trouble as a young fella but I never received one infringement notice when riding the quieter and considerably quicker Norton.
Unfortunately I am still tempted to have a bit of attitude sounding off out of the back end. Slow learner I guess! :blip: Cheers John.

Edbear
25th June 2006, 16:07
Unfortunately I am still tempted to have a bit of attitude sounding off out of the back end. Slow learner I guess! :blip: Cheers John.

Yup! Me too! I loved the sound my old B31 used to make at full noise with the gutted Dunstall megaphone on it! The local constabulary did ask me to ease off going up Hill St in Warkworth as the people were complaining. :nono: Highlight was dragging off an FJ Holden up Bank St. one day! I think I may have cracked a widow or two...:shutup:

Squeak the Rat
26th June 2006, 17:15
There goes some tumbleweed........

Edbear
26th June 2006, 17:22
There goes some tumbleweed........

Young whippersnapper! Yoof these days, just ain't got no respect... :yes:

Squeak the Rat
26th June 2006, 17:26
haha, sorry pops! I meant the new fangled forum hadn't seen any action for over a day and was a bit of a ghost town...... Please do carry on your delightful reminiscing.

Edbear
26th June 2006, 17:30
:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

ZeroIndex
26th June 2006, 17:48
I'll play along with your little game.. just let me know what a Kinetic GF170 fits into? or is that not listed as a class of motorcylcle :D

Motig
26th June 2006, 20:06
I dont think this is working:zzzz:

pritch
27th June 2006, 10:41
It all adds to the experience!
When you stop to have a yarn to your fellow tourers you can still discuss the <snip> the damp spots,

We should probably talk about something other than sex for a change :-)

oldrider
27th June 2006, 20:46
We should probably talk about something other than sex for a change :-)
Why? I can still remember about sex! What size wheels did they have? :gob:

slowpoke
28th June 2006, 14:22

Think again...when the K1 gixxer thou's came out they were the biggest baddest mofo's on the block....but they were also awesome tourers: comfy seat, big tank, reasonable wind protection, luggage hooks, not too "bum up", and more torque than a political fundraiser.
Try one and you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Edbear
28th June 2006, 17:17
Why? I can still remember about sex! What size wheels did they have? :gob:

18"...:yes:

10 char

Big Dave
28th June 2006, 18:00
Think again...when the K1 gixxer thou's came out they were the biggest baddest mofo's on the block....

Completely disagreeing there - but I'll leave it alone.

Ridden 'em all mate. Do it for a living.

Compared to a ST1300, Trophy or BMW K series they are still as uncomfortable as a plank.

Handlebars for starters.

slowpoke
28th June 2006, 19:56

Compared to a ST1300, Trophy or BMW K series they are still as uncomfortable as a plank.

Handlebars for starters.

Yep, fair enough, those are serious armchair rides.
I just meant that the early gixxer thou's aren't complete ball breakers and you could easily tour on one if you have a more sporting inclination.
My poor ol' dear departed 916 on the other hand....talk about a love/hate relationship! The plank may have been hand carved and polished by Italian craftsman but it was still a plank...

slowpoke
28th June 2006, 20:22

Handlebars for starters.

I've thought long and hard, often under the influence of various thought clarifying chemicals, and I've narrowed the number of jobs I would do for absolutely no pay down to six. I won't elaborate on them here, but you've got one of them you lucky bugger!
I'd offer to swap jobs but your steadfast refusal would lead to rather pathetic begging on my part, that would succeed in nothing more than embarrassing us both.
Nice website too...(he muttered under his breath as he trudges off disconsolately)

Big Dave
28th June 2006, 21:25
I've thought long and hard, often under the influence of various thought clarifying chemicals, and I've narrowed the number of jobs I would do for absolutely no pay down to six. I won't elaborate on them here, but you've got one of them you lucky bugger!
I'd offer to swap jobs but your steadfast refusal would lead to rather pathetic begging on my part, that would succeed in nothing more than embarrassing us both.
Nice website too...(he muttered under his breath as he trudges off disconsolately)

Thank you.

Mate - unbelievably lucky.

A few people have asked me how I got into the gig. Now is probably a good place to answer.

Honestly - I Somehow seem to have been right time and place from about 4 weeks after we arrived here,

I had my site up and running and Mr Crosby at Shaft liked what he saw and got me build theirs - and it's been a whole domino effect from there - so random chance has something to do with it - along with the right skill set.

I suggest the way to break into motoring journalism is to just start doing it.

All I do is go and beg, borrow or requisition a bike from somewhere (the guys at AMPS have been great to me, Triumph NZ I owe big time too), be objective, be positive (face it - there are no crap bikes now days - just some better than others and every one is different) and write 'a composition' about it - then submit it to Kiwi Rider, BRM, Trader or whoever.

Sometimes you end up doing the first one or two for nix - but then if you prove to be solid and reliable and can string a sentence together some $ will possibly come your way.

I've been fortunate (again) that I have a good eye and know sales, so most of my income actually comes from advertising design and production - the motorjourno bit now feeds off that.

Eventually I suspect I'll run out of ideas, annecdotes and the embelishments that make an article more than a specifications sheet with punctuation. (I still got stock at the mo!) and there will be a tall gap to fill.

I'm also finding there is much more $ to be made outside the MC industry in business' where the RRP means something and there are margins in the product.

But at the moment it's still all about the lifestyle and being a professional biker. It's certainly not a tough gig - life rich - a little cash poor perhaps.
And yeah - I'd do it for nuffink too.

Unfortunately there is still 3.5 years payments to go on my Buell - so everyone visit motomail, AMPS, buy your tyres at motohaus, wear shoei helmets, ride a triumph, wear teknic and use RK chain and most importantly subscribe to Kiwi Rider Magazine.

I have to eat.

cheers
dc

Lou Girardin
4th July 2006, 09:03
So what if you have a tourer and ride like a sqid?
Or if you have a sprotbike and ride like a tourer?
Or what about naked bikes?
Even naked bikes with half fairings?
This is discrimination.

Big Dave
4th July 2006, 10:41
So what if you have a tourer and ride like a sqid?
Or if you have a sprotbike and ride like a tourer?
Or what about naked bikes?
Even naked bikes with half fairings?
This is discrimination.

I agree with Hitcher now - a sqid free zone is welcome.

Macktheknife
4th July 2006, 10:49
I think I may have cracked a widow or two...:shutup:
REALLY????? Damn I didnt know you could get away with that kind of thing, still I have heard stories about that part of the country.