PDA

View Full Version : Glove Liners

sAsLEX
22nd June 2006, 10:12
I ride with Violater gloves and they aint the best at keeping the fingers warm, does anyone use liners/inners and are they any good, would need to be thin and was thinking of silk as people rave about the silk scarves that are about.

So anyone use, suggest some good inners for gloves?

Hitcher
22nd June 2006, 10:25
Silk glove liners are brilliant. Get them from a hiking and camping store.

skelstar
22nd June 2006, 10:26
I use polypropylene (sp?) gloves as my inners. My normal gloves have air vents on the leading edge of a couple of finges (quasi-gloves) so arent the best winter gloves. PP gloves are f-ing cheap so loosing them aint that bad.

I have silk gloves too.

Postie
22nd June 2006, 10:29
a cheap and easy, quick fix. Rubber gloves (the ones they search you with at the airport), like latex, or if your skin doesn't like latex, non-latex rubber gloves.
works a treat

skelstar
22nd June 2006, 10:31
Postie: they actually keep your hands warm?...or just dry?...or p/t? :)

Postie
22nd June 2006, 10:35
Postie: they actually keep your hands warm?...or just dry?...or p/t? :)
both, well more warm then dry cos they make you sweat. They have talk powder in them but they still sweat. but they stay toasty

sAsLEX
22nd June 2006, 10:44
both, well more warm then dry cos they make you sweat. They have talk powder in them but they still sweat. but they stay toasty

think i will look into the silk then

Macktheknife
22nd June 2006, 10:50
Icebreaker Merino gloves are even better than silk IMO.
Really warm and thin enough to wear under any glove, about the same price as good silk too. try your local camping store.

Drum
22nd June 2006, 10:51
Silk liners. $20 at ski and camp. Work well without too much bulkiness.

Blackbird
22nd June 2006, 10:52
I'm with Hitcher! I use Spidi silk innners which I got from Motomail about 3 years ago and they've stood the test of time. Good for summer use too. I used to find that sweaty hands used to pull the liners on my summer gloves inside out and they were almost impossible to get back without lumps on the ends of the fingers. Silk inners stopped that from happening.

sAsLEX
22nd June 2006, 11:12
My gloves have no inners!

outlawtorn
22nd June 2006, 11:18
Don't bother with the Oxford Glove Inners, I have bought them to try and keep my hands warm and they haven't done the job I'm afraid. But what works for one person doesn't for the next, so don't take my word on it, try them out yourself.

paturoa
22nd June 2006, 12:32
Used polyprop gloves on the Brass Monkey and my hands were always the warmest.

Got them from katmandu for $8 I think.

Big Dave
22nd June 2006, 15:01
I got some merino and possum blend gloves - from that touristy shop next door to Autobahn at papakura.
They work real well at about $20. Only need medium weight outers with them under - and comfy as.

Fishy
22nd June 2006, 15:13
I doubt I would get another layer on under my gloves.

pritch
22nd June 2006, 15:57
I have Spidi silk glove liners, but haven't used them much since I got the heated grips :-)

MattRSK
22nd June 2006, 16:03
Im off to kathmandu to get me some polypro gloves ($7.90) and a polypro balaclava ($13.90) for this weekends riding. Going to be very cold. :scooter:

MattRSK
22nd June 2006, 16:05
went to the flying fish a few weeks ago and it took my blue hands over half an hour to get the feeling back in them. Worth it though. Always worth it really :rockon:

sAsLEX
22nd June 2006, 17:46
went to the flying fish a few weeks ago and it took my blue hands over half an hour to get the feeling back in them. Worth it though. Always worth it really :rockon:

was warming my hand on the exhaust on the way home, left it on a bit long lol

those new dukes would be good with the hand warming exhaust just behind your back!

Clivoris
22nd June 2006, 21:54
I've used the possum/merino blend and they've been ok. But when I'm properly middleclass I'm going for the icebreakers. Hopefully less bulky. Might have to think about those silk jobbies tho. Does this mean if I wear my wifes silkies I'll be warmer?:shifty:

Drum
22nd June 2006, 21:56
.............Does this mean if I wear my wifes silkies I'll be warmer?:shifty:

Yep, and you'll feel strangely sexy too!

Clivoris
22nd June 2006, 22:03
Yep, and you'll feel strangely sexy too!
Is it still strange if you normally feel strangely sexy?:shifty: Or does it then become old-fashioned normal sexy?

Big Dave
22nd June 2006, 22:19
Is it still strange if you normally feel strangely sexy?:shifty: Or does it then become old-fashioned normal sexy?

I read your user name and see issues anyway!

Drum
22nd June 2006, 22:24

Nope, its still strange. Silky smooth strange.

Clivoris
22nd June 2006, 22:24
I read your user name and see issues anyway!
Old family name that. Named after dear old Uncle Clivoris I am. Couldn't rub up against a nicer chap. :innocent:

Gremlin
23rd June 2006, 01:03
I use Spidi silk innners which I got from Motomail about 3 years ago and they've stood the test of time. Good for summer use too. I used to find that sweaty hands used to pull the liners on my summer gloves inside out and they were almost impossible to get back without lumps on the ends of the fingers. Silk inners stopped that from happening.
Agreed with Blackbird, but I got mine from AMPS. I have 2 pairs, while one is in the wash, I wear the other.

I didn't get so much for warmth, and I don't think they offer a huuuuge amount of warmth. I find the advantage is the sweaty hands, and gloves not smelling soo quickly.

Not too sure on longetivity though. I use mine all the time, only time I don't is when darting between shops. The stitching can come undone, then you pull it etc when putting your fingers in etc. So far, I would estimate they last about 1 year in ok condition, and be careful when pulling them on, you can pull them apart if not careful (and pulling on in same manner the whole time).

Big Dave
23rd June 2006, 01:24
Old family name that. Named after dear old Uncle Clivoris I am. Couldn't rub up against a nicer chap. :innocent:

I'm not touching it.

ZeroIndex
23rd June 2006, 07:01
Don't bother with the Oxford Glove Inners, I have bought them to try and keep my hands warm and they haven't done the job I'm afraid. But what works for one person doesn't for the next, so don't take my word on it, try them out yourself.
I'll second that, but it beats just leather gloves by themselves.. when I have money, I'm gonna get Quasi's waterproof gloves.. they feel very warm..

outlawtorn
23rd June 2006, 08:49
I'll second that, but it beats just leather gloves by themselves.. when I have money, I'm gonna get Quasi's waterproof gloves.. they feel very warm..
I'm looking to get those over gloves that seperate your first finger from your other three, I have no idea what those gloves are called but I saw an image of them in the image browser a wee while back, I rekcon those will do the trick to keep my hands warm.

Fooman
23rd June 2006, 10:29
Another vote for poly-prop inners. Went through five Christchurch winters commuting (with the odd trip to Hanmer) , was the second best investment for keeping warm on a bike, after a tube scarf.

FM

ZeroIndex
23rd June 2006, 10:37
I'm looking to get those over gloves that seperate your first finger from your other three, I have no idea what those gloves are called but I saw an image of them in the image browser a wee while back, I rekcon those will do the trick to keep my hands warm.
you're gonna battle to use the bike's controls, and if you do 2-finger braking (like everyone does), you're pretty much screwed.. Support Quasievil, and do your self a favor buy QUASiMOTO products.. it's better for you :D *Shameless plug* :yes:

If you really need to, buy heated grips.. That's what I'm gonna get once I get my leather jacket.. (got leather pants from MrsQuasi last night, since Quasi was...... working late?)

sAsLEX
23rd June 2006, 13:13
Bought some Oxford Chill Out inners from Cycle treads

buellbabe
23rd June 2006, 14:52
Icebreaker Merino gloves are even better than silk IMO.
Really warm and thin enough to wear under any glove, about the same price as good silk too. try your local camping store.

Yep Icebreaker merino liners, don't be put off by the Icebreaker brand name being associated with exorbitant prices cos these ain't! They are the bomb, incredibly thin yet so warm. Bought a pair of Spool gloves last wkend and Icebreaker liners at the same time... all from Road & Sport in Hamil-Vegas.
I/B liners=$29.95...

mstriumph
23rd June 2006, 15:28
went on a ride a week ago - started before 6am - was 3 below

i'm gonna get heated grips :yes:

sAsLEX
23rd June 2006, 15:30
http://www.run79.co.nz/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=101049

Cheaper there for the merino thingos

nadroj
23rd June 2006, 16:38
I'm not touching it.
Only coz you can't find it!

inlinefour
23rd June 2006, 19:39
So anyone use, suggest some good inners for gloves?

Just got a pair of oxford gloves today. Went out riding around the naki in the wind with them on under my mx gloves. Totally impressed and I can also use them under my leather gloves. :rockon:

Meh, I thought I was getting soft getting the liners. Sounds like some people still are with them? :nya:

Biff
23rd June 2006, 20:24
Don't bother with the Oxford Glove Inners, I have bought them to try and keep my hands warm and they haven't done the job I'm afraid. .

I second that. Although I would have squeezed the word "shit" into my review.

sAsLEX
23rd June 2006, 21:33
I second that. Although I would have squeezed the word "shit" into my review.

Were they the new chill out range? the ones i got are but time will tell cheaper than buying a set of winter gloves!

JT.
23rd June 2006, 23:51
http://www.run79.co.nz/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=101049

Cheaper there for the merino thingos

bought a pair a few weeks back and definately worth the money, very thin and warm. though after riding from Dunedin to CHCH with snow on the ground and rain for most of the ride I found out the hard way you still wanna keep em dry

aiki
24th June 2006, 18:55
I got some of those Merino liners $25, they are good but my fingers tips still freeze in these real cold days, so I wonder if you don't have big heavy outer gloves if it is possible to keep warm.

Biff
25th June 2006, 23:07
Were they the new chill out range? the ones i got are but time will tell cheaper than buying a set of winter gloves! I don't think so. I bought mine about 3 years ago.

buellbabe
26th June 2006, 08:19
Well I rode into work today, 3º at my place (dogs waterbowl had a layer of ice!) and 5º in the city... hands were warm in my Icebreaker liners and Spool Gloves but heres a tip: warm ya hands up under the hot tap before putting them on...then the heat really stays put! :-)

skelstar
30th June 2006, 08:50
JT. just ordered some on your recommendation: they'd better be good mate!!! ;)

Ill trust a fellow sth islder