PDA

View Full Version : Rodney District Speed Limit Changes from 1 July

ManDownUnder
22nd June 2006, 11:00
I hope this ain't a repost - and I wish I weren't true...

http://www.rodney.govt.nz/

Speed Limit Changes

In accordance with Rodney District Council Bylaw Chapter 26, herewith is the ‘Public Notified Resolution’ as adopted by Rodney District Council on 25 May 2006.

1. That the amendments to the Rodney District Council Road Speed Limits Bylaw 2005, Chapter 26, identified in Appendix 1 to this agenda, be adopted with effect from 01 July 2006.

2. That this decision be ‘publicly notified’ in accordance with clause 10 of the bylaw.

The amendment to the bylaw introduces some changes in speed limits throughout the Rodney District and the table below gives the present speed limits and areas together with the new limits.

These new speed limits will apply from 1 July 2006.

Roads [in kilometres]

Barrett Road (Full length) from 100 to 80
Blackbridge Road (SH17 for 3.1 kms) from 100 to 80
Clayden Road (Full length) from 100 to 80
Coatesville Riverhead Highway (SH17 to Screens Road and
Sunnyside Road to Newton Road) from 100 to 80
East Coast Road (Between Haigh Access and Lonely Track Road) from 100 to 80
Haigh Access Road (Full length) from 100 to 80
Kennedy Road (Between SH17 and Potter Road) from 100 to 80
Koraha Road (Full length) from 100 to 70
Lloyd Road, Riverhead (Full length) from 100 to 80
Mangatawhiri Road and side roads Omaha (Full length -Proposed Urban Traffic Area) from 100 to 50
Matakana Road (From 50km limit for 1 km) from 100 to 80
Matua Road (Between existing 50km/hr and Tapu Road) from 100 to 70
Old North Road (Between Deacon Road and SH16) from 100 to 80
Omaha Flats Road (Between Point Wells Road and Omaha Drive) from 100 to 80
Omaha Flats Road (Between Takutu and Point Wells Road) from 100 to 80
Point Wells Road (Between existing 50km/hr and Omaha Flats Road) from 100 to 70
Sandspit Road (Matakana Road from the 50km limit for 800 m towards Sharp Road) from 100 to 80
Selman Road, Pine Valley (Full length) from 100 to 80
Sunnyside Road (Full length) from 100 to 80
Tapu Road (From existing 50km/hr to end) from 100 to 70
Waitakere Road (Between Taupaki Road and RDC boundary) from 100 to 80
Waitoki Road (Between Wainui Road and Whitehills Road) from 100 to 80
Wharf Road, Port Albert (Full length) from 100 to 80
Wishart Road, Helensville (From existing 50km/hr for 2.0km) from 100 to 80
Woodcocks Road (From existing 50km/hr for 700m) from 100 to 80

Swoop
22nd June 2006, 11:07
Right then.

Laser and radar jammer time.

DemonWolf
22nd June 2006, 11:09
how did the council get that voted in?

So how many people have died on Rodney roads recently? Fuck all from what I'm aware of.

All about the safety of course...

BuFfY
22nd June 2006, 11:10
That is just silly! Everyone is conditioned to go those speeds so they will continue to do so.

Just a question, does anyone know when they newly expanded part of Whangaparaoa Road is going to have its speed limit changed? Because noone ever goes 50 along there, it should be atleast a 60

Finn
22nd June 2006, 11:14
Another case of Only in New Zealand. Why don't we just pay refugees to walk in front of us with kerosine lanterns?

Macktheknife
22nd June 2006, 11:16
The dirty bastards, some of the best roads in the area are in that list!

kickingzebra
22nd June 2006, 11:22
Another case of Only in New Zealand. Why don't we just pay refugees to walk in front of us with kerosine lanterns?

I'll add to that, and anyone who didn't vote labour must ring a bell to say Unclean, Unclean...
Damn Vijay whatevertheheckhername is council exec. Trouble that lady, never mind lord high ruler mayor.
RDC Worst service in the country, and highest rates.

Homos.

DemonWolf
22nd June 2006, 11:23
Well, this got me thinking.. so I've shot off a email to New Plymouth District Council.. asking/requesting info concerning if there are any 'plans' for Road Speed Limit changes... will be interesting if I get a reply.

DemonWolf
22nd June 2006, 11:25
Surely there's a directive ('edict') coming from Government to local councils to change Road speed limits??

Devil
22nd June 2006, 11:25
Well that sucks.

Motu
22nd June 2006, 11:33
Perhaps a response to an increase of motorcycles in using the area for high speed use??

Swoop
22nd June 2006, 11:33
Just a question, does anyone know when they newly expanded part of Whangaparaoa Road is going to have its speed limit changed? Because noone ever goes 50 along there, it should be atleast a 60
Silly girl. Everyone knows that when a road is upgraded, widened, and straightened - the speed limit goes DOWN.
East coast road and Upper Harbour drive are both fine examples. Former was 80ks down to 50, the latter was 100ks down to 70.

Also, what else is located on those roads... tax cameras (surprise, surprise...)

:slap: :brick: :brick: :brick: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

ManDownUnder
22nd June 2006, 11:36

We will be - just as soon as the emissions are mitigated sufficiently to get past the RMA requirements.

Give it 25 years or so..

Devil
22nd June 2006, 11:37
Perhaps a response to an increase of motorcycles in using the area for high speed use??
If they dont bother keeping to 100, do they think they'll bother keeping to 80?
Doubt it.

placidfemme
22nd June 2006, 11:48
Doubt it.

Thats right...

At the end of the day the laws will be broken. The govt. will get increased funding due to speeding fines... and really if you think about it... is that any different to today? nope...

Magua
22nd June 2006, 11:58
Farrrken hell. How long before sh16 becomes 80k.

oldrider
22nd June 2006, 11:59
They (the elected) do these things because we let them.
If that makes them "idiots" what does it make the rest of us? :shutup:

placidfemme
22nd June 2006, 12:01
They (the elected) do these things because we let them.
If that makes them "idiots" what does it make the rest of us? :shutup:

But its too hard to get people to partition these decisions they make...

eliot-ness
22nd June 2006, 12:06
So how many people have died on Rodney roads recently? Fuck all from what I'm aware of.

All about the safety of course...

Three in the last two weeks. All in cages of course

And all on SH1

James Deuce
22nd June 2006, 12:07
I warned you guys about this about a year ago. All secondary and tertiary higways (i.e non-State Highways) are going to have their speed limits reviewed downward at the discretion of the local councils.

In some cases the State Highways will have sections of reduced limits, like through gorges and particularly hilly or twisty places reduced as well, generally in accordance with whatever the local council says.

James Deuce
22nd June 2006, 12:14
Thats right...

At the end of the day the laws will be broken. The govt. will get increased funding due to speeding fines... and really if you think about it... is that any different to today? nope...

What they'll get is more people using public transport. It IS part of a conspiracy to get people out of private vehicles an on to public transport. It is really easy to exceed 120km/hr in a Toyota Echo when overtaking, let alone a GSXR1000. Easiest way to achieve that is to remove people's license from their wallet, and the most cost effective way to do that is to drop the speed limit.

I won't use public transport because it wastes 3 hours of my day. But they can't increase funding for infrastructure/convince private companies to grow their fleet, without a significant increase in the number of people using public transport.

Drop the speed limit, gather up licenses, get more people on the bus. Problem solved.

Oh, and blame it on safety.

eliot-ness
22nd June 2006, 12:24
What they'll get is more people using public transport. It IS part of a conspiracy to get people out of private vehicles an on to public transport. It is really easy to exceed 120km/hr in a Toyota Echo when overtaking, let alone a GSXR1000. Easiest way to achieve that is to remove people's license from their wallet, and the most cost effective way to do that is to drop the speed limit.

I won't use public transport because it wastes 3 hours of my day. But they can't increase funding for infrastructure/convince private companies to grow their fleet, without a significant increase in the number of people using public transport.

Drop the speed limit, gather up licenses, get more people on the bus. Problem solved.

Oh, and blame it on safety.

No public transport in Rodney, Jim. Bloody hard to find a taxi. There was also a suggestion in the paper that wire barriers be installed through the Dome Valley where most of the accidents happen. That would be more of a problem to us than an 80k limit. Strange that those new limits only apply to roads where accidents are rare but traffic is increasing.

James Deuce
22nd June 2006, 12:46
No public transport in Rodney, Jim. Bloody hard to find a taxi.

Big chunks of the country are like that, but without the demand, the supply won't happen. In the meantime people's lives are made impossible.

Ixion
22nd June 2006, 12:49
The reality is that a significant percentage of the population cannot cope with a 100kph limit.

When the limit was increased from 50mph to 60mph, most muppets never went on the open road.

The open road, with its gravel surfaces, narrow winding roads, no street lighting etc was seen as a formidable and daunting experience by Ethel in her Morris 1100. She seldom if ever ventured upon it . She stuck to the built up areas

Those who did were competant.

Now the incompetant muppets are wandering all over the country, lured by the physical ease of driving modern automatic, power everything, suspension tuned cars over the wide well sealed straight roads that we have thoughtfully provided.

It seems easy , EXCEPT that Ethel is still as incompetant as ever. Modern technology can make up for her incompetance in controlling the vehicle , but it cannot make up for her incompetance in actual driving.

Ethel does NOT like driving at 100kph. It's MUCH too fast. And if she slows down to her comfortable 70kph , all the IDIOTS on the road hurtle past her at ridiculous speeds , and call her rude names.

Ethel doesn't see ANY reason to have a different speed limit to what she has around town. Goodness knows, people go fast enough there, whizzing by her when she goes down to the bowls club.

Since the government (who by and large are comprised of Ethels) agree, but don't want to buy into the vote losing process of actually reimposing a blanket 80kph limit, they are doing it by stealth. Getting the local bodies (who are invaribaly either Ethel or Stan) to do the dirty work

You wanted the gravel roads sealed, didn't ya? And complained cos the sealed ones didn't have race track surfaces? And pressured the manufacturers of cars for fanciy ones with power everything and auto this and that.

Well, now you got all that. And the roads are now the muppets domain. And the muppets want muppet speed limits on the roads they've now seized.

Get used to it, the 80 will be 70 before long. Be careful what you wish for in life. Sometimes the Old Gods hear you and play one of their cruel and malicious jokes - they grant your wish.

Hmm...

now take that post and replace Ethel with Ixion...

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 13:04
Whoo Hoo! Now I'll be able to keep up on most rides around the Rodney District.

Motu
22nd June 2006, 13:10
Move off SH1 in the Rodney area and you will see why - the New Rich have moved in.In the middle of a back road with nice quiet farmland a concrete drive will snake up a hill....flash new homes with triple garages full of ''leasure'' vehicles.They have moved out of Auckland onto ''lifestyle'' (their lifestyle) blocks.They are why farmers now have to opperate their business out of the public eye...and nose,and with such hectic schedules the roads have to be kept clear so the X5 can wallow around at 76kph.Rodney sucks.

Skyryder
22nd June 2006, 13:15
I warned you guys about this about a year ago. All secondary and tertiary higways (i.e non-State Highways) are going to have their speed limits reviewed downward at the discretion of the local councils.

In some cases the State Highways will have sections of reduced limits, like through gorges and particularly hilly or twisty places reduced as well, generally in accordance with whatever the local council says.

And this legislation that empowers the council this control over our highways came into force 16 Jan 2006 via the LAND TRANSPORT AMMENDEMNT ACT 2005. 120+ Kph and you're walking guys. This is the number one biker problem today. It just has not sunk in yet. It will do guys...............it will do.

Skyryder

2 per month on average. Goes up to about 3 or 4 during holiday months.. Dome Valley, Johnsens Hill, Shedaways, Wairewa Hill, SH16 at Helensville. Most of these roads have a fatal a month, or serious injury. And yes some are actually motorcycles.

I stand corrected.

Next question, how many are speed related?

Edbear
22nd June 2006, 13:19
Doubt it.

Yeah, but now, instead of needing to do 140 before losing your licence, you'll now lose it at 120.

Edbear
22nd June 2006, 13:22
I stand corrected.

Next question, how many are speed related?

Very few, more related to drivers incapable of turning corners! Notice that they are mainly on SH1 and the new speed limits are on roads that have very few accidents?

ManDownUnder
22nd June 2006, 13:23
Probably around 60%. Some down to people crossing the centre line for reasons we never usually find out, others to drink driving. The odd one due to unusual circumstances, ie truck tyre blowout=rollover onto a car or something.

Shit - so they're dropping the speed limit AND they have a good reason.

I'm liking this less and less

BuFfY
22nd June 2006, 13:27
Yeah, like who would have thought they were doing it for our safety! Now that is just crazy

jimbo600
22nd June 2006, 13:29
Well put it this way. Cops are only aloowed to exceed the posted speed limit by a certain amount before the persuit becomes dangerous. Therefore it'll be easier to do a runner. An action I never used to condone but with the steady erosion of roading common sense its an action we'll all have to consider in the near future if we want to retain our licenses.

Also what pisses me off they pull the 100-80 shit but do away with the license retest for the over 80s. So now you have old myopic fartknockers wobbling around on you side of the road at 60kmh in a 80 (used to be 100) zone with a flotilla of pissed off folk behind them.

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 13:34
You've hit the nail on the head with that one, Motu.

There are a raft of new developments in various areas around the Rodney District where these "Life Style" blocks are being sold.

Has it ever been suggested that each particular type of Vehicle have a maximum allowed speed? Similar to that for large Trucks.

i.e. Something along these lines

120 kmp/h - Motorcycles
100 kmp/h - Small Vehicles (Cars)
90 kmp/h - Large Vehicles (4x4's, Small Trucks, etc.)
80 kmp/h Large Trucks (Semi's, etc.)

I think a rating system of braking capabilities is the best way to go about it, have a minimum braking distance for a large vehicle. Then as the vehicles get smaller and their braking abilities increase their top speed increases as well.

EDIT:

Additionally, it would be "practical" to have a License System which (on a regular basis, say 2 - 3 years) the re-action speed of individuals is tested. Some old people are very alert and capable of handling anything thrown at them, however, there are some with reduced capacities and such a License System would weed them out.

Lower re-action speed's would mean that you are only allowed to drive certain types of vehicles which would be restricted to certain speeds in the above list. Obviously a special category would be needed as opposed to what I've written above.

I'd compare this to the "Automatic" and "Manual" License Restrictions, where by if you sit your test in a Automatic vehicle then you are only allowed to drive an Automatic vehicle. Thus, if your re-action time is 30% less than say Mad Max the motorcyclist, then you're stuck in the Volvo and restricted to 80 kmp/h!

Move off SH1 in the Rodney area and you will see why - the New Rich have moved in.In the middle of a back road with nice quiet farmland a concrete drive will snake up a hill....flash new homes with triple garages full of ''leasure'' vehicles.They have moved out of Auckland onto ''lifestyle'' (their lifestyle) blocks.They are why farmers now have to opperate their business out of the public eye...and nose,and with such hectic schedules the roads have to be kept clear so the X5 can wallow around at 76kph.Rodney sucks.

placidfemme
22nd June 2006, 13:42
You've hit the nail on the head with that one, Motu.

There are a raft of new developments in various areas around the Rodney District where these "Life Style" blocks are being sold.

Has it ever been suggested that each particular type of Vehicle have a maximum allowed speed? Similar to that for large Trucks.

120 kmp/h - Motorcycles

I think a rating system of braking capabilities is the best way to go about it, have a minimum braking distance for a large vehicle. Then as the vehicles get smaller and their braking abilities increase their top speed increases as well.

Very smart idea...In Zim they have a similar system on most open roads. 60kph in suburbs. 120kph for cars/bikes, 100kph for cars towing trailers and 80kph for trucks/buses... on main roads (not that anyone followed those rules... but then we didn't have traffic cops that could pull you over let alone chase you)

BuFfY
22nd June 2006, 13:45
But what if you are a car that is driving behind a truck? That doesn't really work because you will always go the speed of the slowest

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 13:48
That is when we murder all the morons of diminished capacity who design most of OUR roads and hire new, intelligent and pragmatic personalities to re-design them.

More passing lanes, straighter pieces of roads in certain places to accomodate over taking.

It works out in the end when you think about it with some intellect. If the truck is restricted to 80kmp/h and you in the car are restricted to 100kmp/h then it is much easier and safer to over take.

At the moment speed margins do not have that much difference, meaning most vehicles cannot over take safely where a truck is doing 90 kmp/h.

But what if you are a car that is driving behind a truck? That doesn't really work because you will always go the speed of the slowest

James Deuce
22nd June 2006, 13:50
It works out in the end when you think about it with some intellect. If the truck is restricted to 80kmp/h and you in the car are restricted to 100kmp/h then it is much easier and safer to over take.

One hopes that isn't a mechanical or electronic speed limiter one is talking about there.

120 kmp/h - Motorcycles

Nah man... I'd say I'm capable of driving a car faster and safer than most bikes can go.

I've driven in the UK at like 130mph (ie. 200kph+) without any problems, BUT that was only because there is a sense of trust that the other road users know what they are doing.

In NZ I barely feel safe doing 100kph on SH1 because you never know when someone will cut in front of you leaving about 2m stopping distance...

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 13:54
No, think about it in real world terms. Most large trucks do 100kmp/h anyway, they'll struggle up a hill and then blast down the other side. It is difficult to over take one WITHOUT HITTING 120 kmp/h.

If they are "restricted" to 80 kmp/h and will average 85 - 90 kmp/h and you in a car being restricted to 100vkmp/h and doing 110 kmp/h have a much larger window of opportunity.

Get someone to drive past you at 10 kmp/h and then again at 20 kmp/h, at 20 kmp/h the difference is quite noticable.

EDIT:

This type of logic alone would decrease the number of fatal crashes on SH1, most of which occur around the major passing lanes. People will exceed their "comfortable speed zone" and loose control.

One hopes that isn't a mechanical or electronic speed limiter one is talking about there.

BuFfY
22nd June 2006, 14:00
But if they are going over 100 (the trucks) then what is the point in passing them? The speed limit is 100!! Yeah some trucks don't go as fast up hill, but so do a lot of cars that I follow on the motorway

People are normally aware of the speed at which their car/bike/truck can travel at comfortably and within the speed limit so seperate speed limits for each should not be needed. As many of the signs say these days.. it is not a target

James Deuce
22nd June 2006, 14:01
It takes too long to overtake an 18m vehicle travelling at 80km/hr with only a 20km/hr speed differential. More people will die.

I like to get my passes done as quickly as possible irrepsective of speed limits.

It's safer that way.

The Pastor
22nd June 2006, 14:17
nooooooooooooooooooooooo

outlawtorn
22nd June 2006, 15:04
shit man, that really sucks, we are currently looking to move to Stanmore Bay from Long Bay and now they reduce the fucking speed limit???:gob:

Fucking local goverments.....cant live with them, cant tie them to the back of your bike and drag them over the mentioned roads......

Edbear
22nd June 2006, 17:33
we are currently looking to move to Stanmore Bay from Long Bay .

So! THey heard you were coming...!:innocent:

Swoop
22nd June 2006, 18:14
If the truck is restricted to 80kmp/h and you in the car are restricted to 100kmp/h then it is much easier and safer to over take.
Aren't trucks now licenced to kill at 90kph???

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 18:16
Yes, I believe that to be correct.

Aren't trucks now licenced to kill at 90kph???

oldrider
22nd June 2006, 22:32
I just have to ask, where in the hell is Rodney? I have been racking my brains and trying to locate the area on the road map.
Is it a Borough, electorate or what. :hitcher: Cheers John.

Magua
22nd June 2006, 22:50
North Auckland.

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 22:52
Hi John.

I suppose you could call the Rodney District an electorate, but basically its a large area of towns, some of which include:

Orewa
Whangaparoa
Silverdale
Helensville
Puhoi
Warkworth
Wellsford
Mangawhai
Kumeu
Riverhead

Just to name a few.

Basically a shit hole 'cos its one of the fastest growing areas. All the dickheads from Auckland move up here into developments where all the houses look the same or they buy those gay lifestyle blocks which consist of 1 acre or less.

I just have to ask, where in the hell is Rodney? I have been racking my brains and trying to locate the area on the road map.

Maha
22nd June 2006, 23:06
Nothing said about the Dome?........ between Warkworth ans Wellsford, there have been 3-4 people killed in the Dome Valley in as many weeks......??

SwanTiger
22nd June 2006, 23:10
Because people get frustrated in that section of road as it is hilly and twisty. When a passing lane finally comes up everyone in the slow lane speeds up and other drivers try to over take in the passing lane.

One gets passed, then another, then another, then theres no passing lane left, so they continue on crossing the line and usually end up having a head on.

We can't blame speed and we can't blame the Government, we can only blame ourselves.

Nothing said about the Dome?........ between Warkworth ans Wellsford, there have been 3-4 people killed in the Dome Valley in as many weeks......??

Motu
22nd June 2006, 23:11
I where in the hell is Rodney? .

Rodney is the butt plug of Auckland,controling the flow of effluent north.Think of your JAFFA stereotype and they will be found in Rodney.

outlawtorn
23rd June 2006, 08:46
So! THey heard you were coming...!:innocent:
Doh! :brick:

Hang on a second though, I ride like a nanna compared to some of you loons!!! Bugger it, I'll just have to be more careful now around those parts...

outlawtorn
23rd June 2006, 08:47
Rodney is the butt plug of Auckland,controling the flow of effluent north.Think of your JAFFA stereotype and they will be found in Rodney.
I thought Rodney district was supposed to be filled with old people (Orewa) and rich snots (Gulf Harbour)?

Swoop
23rd June 2006, 09:16
I just have to ask, where in the hell is Rodney? I have been racking my brains and trying to locate...
Last seen on a dancing programme I believe...:blip:

Pixie
23rd June 2006, 14:39
Basically a shit hole 'cos its one of the fastest growing areas. All the dickheads from Auckland move up here into developments where all the houses look the same or they buy those gay lifestyle blocks which consist of 1 acre or less.
So which is you?
A testaricardo or an arse bandit?:nya:

SwanTiger
23rd June 2006, 14:45
Neither.

My Grand Father use to develop the land and sell it to said Testaricardo's and Arse Bandit's (as you coined it). I have followed in his foot-steps and capatalise on the Testaricardo's and Arse Bandit's in different areas of business.

EDIT: Not sex.

So which is you?
A testaricardo or an arse bandit?:nya:

Pixie
23rd June 2006, 14:52
I have followed in his foot-steps and capatalise on the Testaricardo's and Arse Bandit's in different areas of business.

What use are they,other than targets for exploitation?

Edbear
23rd June 2006, 16:45
I thought Rodney district was supposed to be filled with old people (Orewa) and rich snots (Gulf Harbour)?

Hey! Who you callin' old?!:nya:

Maha
23rd June 2006, 17:56
Because people get frustrated in that section of road as it is hilly and twisty. When a passing lane finally comes up everyone in the slow lane speeds up and other drivers try to over take in the passing lane.

One gets passed, then another, then another, then theres no passing lane left, so they continue on crossing the line and usually end up having a head on.

We can't blame speed and we can't blame the Government, we can only blame ourselves.
What you say about the passing lanes happens at all passing lanes. The accidents that i spoke about happened on a corner at the northern end where most of the smashes happen, two killed when they crossed the center line, the other happened on a straight, van and a truck. Some dick suggested the cause of accidents in the dome are due to lack of radio coverage, people retuning thier radio's?......go figure

SwanTiger
23rd June 2006, 18:00
Haha maybe, I'm not an expert or knowledgable individual so consider what I say to be bullshit.

Radio's? Fuck you are showing your age... its Cell phone coverage!

What you say about the passing lanes happens at all passing lanes. The accidents that i spoke about happened on a corner at the northern end where most of the smashes happen, two killed when they crossed the center line, the other happened on a straight, van and a truck. Some dick suggested the cause of accidents in the dome are due to lack of radio coverage, people retuning thier radio's?......go figure

Maha
23rd June 2006, 18:05
Haha maybe, I'm not an expert or knowledgable individual so consider what I say to be bullshit.

Radio's? Fuck you are showing your age... its Cell phone coverage!
Not me you cock........:nya:
The guy who said that was about 800 yrs old.....he remembers the wireless...:gob:
Come to think of it........so do i ........:innocent:
You're right.....i am old.....40 something next month....:bye:

SwanTiger
23rd June 2006, 18:13
Your 800 year old friend has a point there.

I've established the "passing" opinion based on the vehicles I've driven through there. If I'm in the FTO then people back off, if I'm in the Van people sit on my arse and try to overtake, even though its a 3000cc Turbo Deisel that will cruise at 140 - 150.

"Big, looks slow, must overtake!"

The guy who said that was about 800 yrs old.....he remembers the wireless...:gob:

Ixion
23rd June 2006, 18:17

Wireless. Hell, I remember crystal sets!

oldrider
23rd June 2006, 19:53
Hey guy's that was fun! lol lol lol.
You made my day, I have just come home from a days business in Timaru and for some unknown reason I was feeling really shitty.
All your posts about Rodney have cheered me up and they were informative as well, thank you all.
You don't have to be Jaffas to behave like that on the passing lanes though!
This morning going to Timaru we caught up to a wee truck doing about 95kph so sat behind and waited for the passing lane just up the road.
As we approached the passing bay, speed of wee truck increases (automatic reaction down here) so we eventually pass him at 130kph and at the end of the passing bay he goes back down to his 95kph??? ( we were the only two vehicles on the road too)
He is not alone, they all do that down here, all the time, you don't have to be a Jaffa to act like a half wit, just an ordinary average kiwi it seems.
Thanks again for cheering me up and telling me where Rodney is. :first: Cheers John.

Ixion
23rd June 2006, 22:15
But , do you remember crystal sets and tickling the whisker? All else is irrelevant

James Deuce
23rd June 2006, 22:16
I had a crystal set once. My Grandad helped me make it and then kept it the miserable bastard.

Ixion
23rd June 2006, 22:19
Uh, we're not related are we? And your grandfather, he's been dead a good while? Just wnat to be sure here.

James Deuce
23rd June 2006, 22:30
Very dead. Quite a long time. His dad raced speedway, and the only photo I've seen of them together, they looked like Steptoe and Son.

Motu
23rd June 2006, 22:40
My crystal set was in a yellow soap dish.You could often hear morse code too - that was the spies talking to each other,I would of liked to listen in to what was going down,but it was just so complicated.....

Skyryder
23rd June 2006, 23:21

He's been kicked off dancing with the stars and now he's back in Parliment blaming the Minister of Energy for all the power failures. Doesn't he know that Meridian has a CEO who gets paid for doing what the Minister use to do i.e. take responsibility. :bye: Just couldn't resist that one Oldrider............now where's my spade for digging the trench.:rofl:

Skyryder

Maha
24th June 2006, 08:57
Hey guy's that was fun! lol lol lol.
You made my day, I have just come home from a days business in Timaru and for some unknown reason I was feeling really shitty.
All your posts about Rodney have cheered me up and they were informative as well, thank you all.
You don't have to be Jaffas to behave like that on the passing lanes though!
This morning going to Timaru we caught up to a wee truck doing about 95kph so sat behind and waited for the passing lane just up the road.
As we approached the passing bay, speed of wee truck increases (automatic reaction down here) so we eventually pass him at 130kph and at the end of the passing bay he goes back down to his 95kph??? ( we were the only two vehicles on the road too)
He is not alone, they all do that down here, all the time, you don't have to be a Jaffa to act like a half wit, just an ordinary average kiwi it seems.
Thanks again for cheering me up and telling me where Rodney is. :first: Cheers John.
Ya know John, Jafa has morphed into SOAP's for us up here in Rodney, we get alot of the SOAP's up here during long weekends and even normal weekends. Some of the driving skill's they bring up from AKL are quite comical, you can always pick em'....'' thats gotta be a SOAP''....:yes:
BTW .....SOAP = Stressed Out Auckland Pricks.......:killingme
ps: does not include bike riders .........:ride:

DemonWolf
26th June 2006, 08:32
A response from NPDC

"....

Thank you for your enquiry regarding speed limit changes within New Plymouth District.

As far as I am aware we do not have any plans to implement 80km/h ‘speed zones’ within the district at present. Other authorities are trialling this initiative to address a serious accident problem on long lengths of rural roads, where excessive speed is the main contributory factor. Land Transport New Zealand has defined the minimum length of road over which a 80km/h limit shall operate, and I believe this is 8km in length. As a road controlling authority we have to abide by the guidelines set by LTNZ before we amend any speed limits within the district. Part of that process is to carry out a consultation exercise with a range of interested parties, such as the Road Transport Association, AA, NZ Police, Community Boards and local residents.

If you require any further information about speed zones, please feel free to look at the guidelines on the LTNZ’s web site which is www.ltsa.govt.nz

Do you have a particular location in mind? If so, please let me know and I can research the crash record for that section of road to determine if it is a suitable site for a speed zone in New Plymouth District.

...."

Squeak the Rat
26th June 2006, 09:11
Main state highway linking two cities?

1st world country = well maintained dual carriageway

NZ = windy single lane narrow road

So, if we have accidents we should lower the speed limit!?????

In 1993 a report in the states showed a reduction in the road toll by INCREASING the speed limit on interstate highways. It encouraged people to use the "safer" interstates and got them off the dodgy secondary roads.

Swoop
26th June 2006, 12:16
The new bit of straightened "motorway" opened at Mercer yesterday, so the death rate will increase dramatically (according to speculation and as the test results on lab rats has proven)...

ZeroIndex
26th June 2006, 12:36
you mean red flags? :killingme but yeah, that is really pathetic.. with the safety factors of cars etc going up, surely, it's safer to change the speed UP, not down..

Motu
26th June 2006, 12:44
That was just temporary to wheel pack the new chip.

With the roads being so much safer and the cars likewise - how come we still have a problem? I reckon the modern motor vehicle is just so damn easy to drive,the roads are so boring the brain just goes on holiday.Bring back roads you have to concentrate on,cars that took skill to drive....bikes that took skill to ride for that matter....

ZeroIndex
26th June 2006, 12:45
The new bit of straightened "motorway" opened at Mercer yesterday, so the death rate will increase dramatically (according to speculation and as the test results on lab rats has proven)...
FINALLY!!! i was getting bored of overtaking cars inbetween the 3-across cones on the empty lane.. is it back to 100km/h now? the 50 & 80 signs were just a waste of tax-payers money..

..the only good thing about the 'while they were fixing the road' was the chicanes :D

crshbndct
28th June 2006, 14:13
funy thing is, world wide, as roads and cages improve in safety and standards, the limits are going up.

here its going down.

i want to move to qatar