PDA

View Full Version : Side Stand too Tall

MadDuck
24th May 2004, 20:53
I have had the SV lowered but it has left me with an annoying problem.

The side stand is almost straight up and down so she sits very upright. It is proving a nuisance when trying to park up. Actually I look like a wally cos I think I am on the flat- flick the stand down then have to push the bike around to find the right terrain.

I have had 2 suggestions
1) cut a section and weld foot back on...problem is type of material stand is made from or 2) get another from a wreckers.

As I am not very technically up with the play I was hoping for suggestions from the crew? Bearing in mind I wouldnt be capable of doing the job myself :eek:

Motu
24th May 2004, 22:40
My Honda used to sit very straight on the stand and it fell over a couple of times,so I bent the tab so it leans over a bit further.

I would get another stand from the wreckers and get it shortened,then you can go back if it wasn't such a good idea.

FROSTY
24th May 2004, 23:08
I'd head down to the wreckers and find a shorter side stand that will fit on all your mounts. The only real issue is making sure the sidestand ignition cutout switch will still operate.
Youre more than welcolm to the stand off my zxr if ya want it

What?
25th May 2004, 06:22
The only real issue is making sure the sidestand ignition cutout switch will still operate.
Or just by-pass it.
What is the stand made of? Cast Ali? If so, find a steel one with the same size flange and get it shortened and re-shaped to fit. I'd be surpised if you couldn't do that for fifty bucks.

merv
25th May 2004, 07:57
I have had the SV lowered but it has left me with an annoying problem.

The side stand is almost straight up and down so she sits very upright. It is proving a nuisance when trying to park up. Actually I look like a wally cos I think I am on the flat- flick the stand down then have to push the bike around to find the right terrain.

I have had 2 suggestions
1) cut a section and weld foot back on...problem is type of material stand is made from or 2) get another from a wreckers.

As I am not very technically up with the play I was hoping for suggestions from the crew? Bearing in mind I wouldnt be capable of doing the job myself :eek:

I'd be surprised if your stand isn't made from plain old mild steel. Is it painted black? In the last few years I shortened the stands on my dirt bikes when I lowered them by just cutting the foot off, cutting a piece out of the tube and then welding the foot back on no problems.

FROSTY
25th May 2004, 08:36
bring ya bike along to the spanner evening--after weve done the basics Ill bung ya bike on my pitstand --or maybee baby b's one --either way we'll have a look at it

dangerous
25th May 2004, 18:44
problem is type of material stand is made from

I checked out a SV today and they have a steel stand rather than a cast one so a cut and tuck would be the go.
Now, you just need to find the butcher.... I mean welder amongest you in dorkla.... I mean Auckland to get the job done :)

MadDuck
25th May 2004, 20:30
Hahahaha
Thanks D. Yep stand is mild steel and welded foot not sure about nip and tuck - its sounds painful.

If weather is not as crappy as tonight I will take the bike down to the spanner evening and see what they "lads and ladesses" think.

FROSTY
25th May 2004, 20:35
has ya sv got a mainstand?? if the weather is too shitty pull the stand off and bring it down

MadDuck
25th May 2004, 20:48
ummm...no main stand. Never mind if cant bring it tomorrow I am sure I can go to bike shop and get sorted.