PDA

View Full Version : Race Fuel

Biohazard
22nd June 2006, 14:16
I have just spoken to the workshop manager chap @ Boyd Honda re; my Blade running race fuel - he said that it should be ok doing a 50/50 mixture.

Has anyone tried running race fuel on a new(ish) blade, if so what what did it run like? or would you recommend sticking rocket fuel in the bike????

SimJen
22nd June 2006, 14:23
Not much point unless you got the compression to make use of it......
If you skimmed the head, adding a pipe and a power commander then it might be useful....but really you gotta ask yourself is it worth it?

dss3
22nd June 2006, 14:49
I find it hard enough controlling it on normal fuel, so have never bothered trying race fuel. Not like they lack power.

Sparky Bills
22nd June 2006, 14:52
Only use race fuel if you have done the mods to need it.
As SimJen said.
Theres no need for it really.
I havnt tried any in my bike, and dont think i ever will.
Would kill you spark plugs too if you switch between gas types.

F5 Dave
22nd June 2006, 15:02
Proper racefuel for production bikes is worth it. Oxygenated special mix will give small increases in power.

Of course it is not available in NZ, & AV gas labelled as ‘race gas’ will not cut it. I largely believe that you will get less power worse throttle response from Av in a std bike.

MattRSK
22nd June 2006, 15:11
I have just spoken to the workshop manager chap @ Boyd Honda re; my Blade running race fuel - he said that it should be ok doing a 50/50 mixture.

Has anyone tried running race fuel on a new(ish) blade, if so what what did it run like? or would you recommend sticking rocket fuel in the bike????

At the end of the day its a HONDA so no matter what fuel you stick in it, it will still be fast. GO HONDA. Blades are awesome. Thought it was about time someone started praising Hondas on this site.

Fishy
22nd June 2006, 15:15
At the end of the day its a HONDA so no matter what fuel you stick in it, it will still be fast. GO HONDA. Blades are awesome. Thought it was about time someone started praising Hondas on this site.

Hahahahaha wait for it.............

MattRSK
22nd June 2006, 15:16
I know im asking for it lol.

Flyingpony
22nd June 2006, 15:23
This is the 100 octane fuel? How much does it cost now?

HDTboy
22nd June 2006, 15:27
If it's got a cat or oxygen sensor I'd advise against it, leaded fuel destroys cats and oxygen sensors

SimJen
22nd June 2006, 15:35
Proper racefuel for production bikes is worth it. Oxygenated special mix will give small increases in power.
Of course it is not available in NZ, & AV gas labelled as ‘race gas’ will not cut it. I largely believe that you will get less power worse throttle response from Av in a std bike.

A small increase might be 1%? impossible to measure on a dyno as they vary so much from run to run. Hardly worth it, especially if it costs more than standard 95 unleaded.
Plus unless you have the balls/lack of brain to ride flat out everywhere on the road you're not going to notice any difference.

Biohazard
22nd June 2006, 16:07
Thanks for the input guys - i just wasnt sure, as its kinda a new toy to me as you dont get that choice in the UK.

And yes HONDAS are cool and I love my Blade, I've had Kwakas, Zuki's, Yamies and a Duc...The Blade always came out the best, but for pure stupidity the ZXR750H1 won hands down...silly bike trying to kill me like ya did :nya:

It wasnt for power gain more of another fuel to use, I ride like a Nana - you'll see on Saturday :shutup:

Kickaha
22nd June 2006, 17:52

Of course it is not available in NZ.

I heard Elf have it available in NZ

cowpoos
22nd June 2006, 18:50

yes...yes they dooo

and mate your wasting ya time with fancy fuels....learn to ride fast first

dangerous
22nd June 2006, 19:09
This is the 100 octane fuel? How much does it cost now?
$2.09 per L, and remember it is not leagle on NZ roads :scooter:

Titanium
22nd June 2006, 19:12
Race gas will block the cat and damage the 0xy sensor if it still has lead in it, stick with the higest gas rating gas you can get at the pump. I think NZ race gas and aviation fuel still have lead in them .... but could be wrong.

dangerous
22nd June 2006, 19:16
Race gas will block the cat and damage the 0xy sensor if it still has lead in it, stick with the higest gas rating gas you can get at the pump. I think NZ race gas and aviation fuel still have lead in them .... but could be wrong.
True about the oxy sensor... but I'd avoid 95 and use 91 as theses fuels are the same shit but 95 has more shit in it.
BP98 I'd reconmend (duno what else is available up north)
Yes Avgas has lead in it and race fuel is stail Avgas.

cowpoos
22nd June 2006, 19:21
True about the oxy sensor... but I'd avoid 95 and use 91 as theses fuels are the same shit but 95 has more shit in it.
BP98 I'd reconmend (duno what else is available up north)
Yes Avgas has lead in it and race fuel is stail Avgas.
do you use lpg or deseil in the guzzi?

dangerous
22nd June 2006, 19:32
do you use lpg or deseil in the guzzi?
At least I managed more than 6 words before munting my spelling...

BTW Guzzi runs on Castor Oil, wise arse :wait:

Biohazard
22nd June 2006, 21:28
yes...yes they dooo

and mate your wasting ya time with fancy fuels....learn to ride fast first
Humph not sure how to take comment tbh. The thread was about is it worth it ? as I was just wondering as im not use to race fuel being sold at certian fuel stations thats all.

The bikes a Blade ffs - its not as if its slow is it now ?

Any way cheers for the replies guys...

avgas
22nd June 2006, 21:42
:whistle: ;)
I'll keep my 2 cents to myself this time, seems to be a good discussion here

Titanium
22nd June 2006, 22:04
Humph not sure how to take comment tbh. The thread was about is it worth it ? as I was just wondering as im not use to race fuel being sold at certian fuel stations thats all.

The bikes a Blade ffs - its not as if its slow is it now ?

Any way cheers for the replies guys...

Cheers......
...... fuck knows what poos is on about......

Kickaha
22nd June 2006, 22:19
Cheers......
...... fuck knows what poos is on about......

you can get a bigger performance gain by learning to ride the arse off it than you will from any fuel

sometimes the farmboy makes sense (not often though) :bleh:

roadandsport
22nd June 2006, 22:54
DONT mix it!!! It will settle out as it has a lighter specific gravity. Run it straight or don’t bother. It will not harm the motor and it will give you a slight power increase. Who runs a CAT on their bike anyway? It’s mainly used for aviation purposes as the old piston engines need the extra grunt at altitude and the lead looks after the valve seats and keeps the fuel from going stale. My old 1100 loved the stuff; smooth idle good power response etc. Bike engines….even blade’s are high performance high compression engines and require a high octane fuel to work at their best. Bring back SUPER 98, you could look at the pipe after a ride and see if it was running right. :scooter: you can get it at the Challenge outside pukekohe race way. was $2.09/L

dangerous
23rd June 2006, 06:49
My old 1100 loved the stuff; smooth idle good power response etc.
Yeah I expect it would have loved it... you say "OLD" 1100 I asume we are talking about a old higher comp carberated air head??? if so then I agree it would love it as do my older bikes do, mainly in the mid range and starting... thats only due to the fuel being a much higher quality standard over the shit we get at the pumps.

Who runs a CAT on their bike anyway?
A lot of bikes do actually... mostly imported bikes, BUT thats not the issue... Oxy sencers are, lead will root em quick as and as they are a much needed part of an injection system, best ya dont ues Av

DONT mix it!!! It will settle out as it has a lighter specific gravity.
IIRC a mix of Av and 91 is a good thing... lead is a natural octain booster so the lead in the Av will raise the oct in the 91, which is a beter thing than the shit they put in the unleaded fuels.
The fuels will only settle over time... like everything does.

you can get a bigger performance gain by learning to ride the arse off it than you will from any fuel

Yeah... even I understood that

ZeroIndex
23rd June 2006, 06:59
I went and watched Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift last night.. (now before any one red reps me, I'll get to my point).. there was a drag chopper (kinda looked like a harley glide (the one with 2 petrol tanks), but instead of petrol tanks, it had 2 NOS bottles.. I wonder what a blade would look like/go running an extremely high mixture of nitrous oxide..

F5 Dave
23rd June 2006, 12:58

Are you nine? An Ex had a CG110, does that count?

Waaahoo, I like shopping at Woolworths, the food is much better than erm, one of the almost identical brands.

------

My point was that Av gas is not really race fuel. Certainly not for std compression bikes.

Didn't know Elf sold production formula Oxygenated racegas here. Thought they sold other varieties of Racegas that would only really suit modified bikes.
VP12 was another some brought in for GP bikes if they were keen.

Not that I’ve had the need to buy it as can’t run it in Bouquets. But there was a prat who did one year & he had the compression cranked ridiculously high. Almost made your eyes water following though.

Pixie
23rd June 2006, 14:59
Don't trust those elves

Titanium
26th June 2006, 22:20

Yeah I get the bit about riding better .... but Bio is not exactly slow.......