PDA

View Full Version : 2002 FXR150

FROSTY
24th May 2004, 21:44
My initial reaction to the FXR was "It aint a real bike" But the last couple of weeks commuting has proven me wrong.
If you dont know about these bikes they're a sporty looking single cylinder four stroke. They have both an electric boot and a kick starter.
12 volt electrics make for decent lights and a disk at each end makes it stop pretty darn quickly.
My FXR has a reasonably sticky pirelli tyre at the back but still has the standard rim protector on the front.
Kicking it to life with a bit of choke and the lekkie boot she fired up no problems.settling down to a quiet idle witha somewhat gn250 type engine noise.
Taking off up my driveway diddn't exactly get my blood stirring with the bike seeming to struggle to get up. Looking at the digital rev counter I realised I was using less than a third of the 12000 rpm the little beast had available to me. A harder twist on the throttle and HELLO there might be hope yet.
With the motor spinning nicely .at 9000 she buzzed op my fairly steep road easily.
Slipping through the 50km/h traffic was effortless and the great brakes washed off speed with no panic on my part.
The trick digital speedo and gear position indicator make for easy speed checks as I go past what seems like 50 speed cameras on my way to work.
I arrive at work with a huge grin on my face.
On my way home via the Nor western motorway I get another surprise
100km/h commuting is a breeze. Sure she doesn't have a heap left to outrun the faster tintops but she makes it up by being super nimble.Only problenm is the factory mirrors--great views of my elbows is not what i need.
I discovered the limits of the factory rim protectors on a slippery bit of road and I must say I wasn't very impressed.
If you are buying one of these from a bike shop I'd strongly suggest getting them to fit stickier tyres.
Although they give plenty of warning theyre gonna let go their limits are way before the rest of the bike. The rest of the bike handles pretty darn nicely If I do say so myself.
All in all a nice balanced package and I would suggest one for a second bike owner. My only reservations would be the great brakes combined with the factory tyres are a bit too good for a learner.
Pros-light neutral handling
fantastic brakes front and rear.
easy maintained single cylinder motor.
mind blowing fuel economy.
huuge fun
Cons - Lousy factory tyres.
badly positioned mirrors.

Antallica
24th May 2004, 21:56
Hehe good on ya mate! :Punk:

Indiana_Jones
26th May 2004, 18:56
Yeah, the tyres do blow abit :Pokey:
But I can't afford better ones so I guess I'll just have to deal with them :laugh:

-Indy

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 09:40
Yeah i had a ride on an fxr150 they are fun but not as fun as the rg150 ha ha SORRY

jrandom
27th May 2004, 09:48
Nice to see a review from someone with a bit of riding experience. Have held back from posting one myself, because I don't think a bike review from someone who's never ridden anything else to speak of has much validity.

I'm glad you confirmed my impressions.

The factory tyres are indeed worth discarding immediately if you can afford to do so.

And since dropping the bike, exploding my RH mirror and replacing it with a cheaper, bigger, stickery-outer-er aftermarket one (the packet said that it was meant for a GSXR750, IIRC) I got from Colemans, I'm thinking of swapping the other mirror too. Bigger mirrors make a world of difference.

jrandom
27th May 2004, 09:55
Yeah i had a ride on an fxr150 they are fun but not as fun as the rg150 ha ha SORRY

Yer right there. But they're probably a better choice as a daily commuter. After 16,000km I can't fault the FXR for reliability, never missed a beat or required any special attention. Good little transport appliance. Oh, and did I mention that it wheelies real good? :lol:

Of course if I wanted a one fiddy for track use or general mucking around I'd have an RG, for sure.

jrandom
27th May 2004, 09:58
Oh yeah. Might as well note the actual fuel economy - I get 25km/litre while commuting in heavy traffic.

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 10:04
Yeah FXR150 are good for cruising i would buy one any day, but outta my price range for a 150, cause my first bike was an RG150 which was below the $2000 price...........but now i have a kawasaki zxr250 and its great......fun to ride :first:

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 10:06
Yeah FXR150 are good for cruising i would buy one any day, but outta my price range for a 150, cause my first bike was an RG150 which was below the $2000 price...........but now i have a kawasaki zxr250 and its great......fun to ride :first:

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 10:39
Nice to see a review from someone with a bit of riding experience. Have held back from posting one myself, because I don't think a bike review from someone who's never ridden anything else to speak of has much validity.

I'm glad you confirmed my impressions.

The factory tyres are indeed worth discarding immediately if you can afford to do so.

And since dropping the bike, exploding my RH mirror and replacing it with a cheaper, bigger, stickery-outer-er aftermarket one (the packet said that it was meant for a GSXR750, IIRC) I got from Colemans, I'm thinking of swapping the other mirror too. Bigger mirrors make a world of difference.
Funny you should mention that--I've fitted an after market mirror off of a kawasaki zxr400--go figure and yep much better visibility

Antallica
27th May 2004, 10:46
I'd do the same to my mirrors, but it looks so damn ugly with those huge mirrors on.

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 10:58
I'd do the same to my mirrors, but it looks so damn ugly with those huge mirrors on.
Im thinking maybee the factory mirrors could be stepped out a bit to give better visibility

Antallica
27th May 2004, 11:08
Yeah that and also a retractable hinge for the times when you hit the deck. $90 a mirror isn't exactly fun.

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 11:20
Yeah It Was Like When I Had My RG150 You Cant See S#it All With The Mirrors That Are On There All You Can See Is Shoulder And Albows So So Annoying Man, When I Had It I Had To Leen To One Side Just To See What Was Behind Me I Hated It....

Antallica
27th May 2004, 12:40
It's not too bad for me seeing as I'm a rather smallish frame. But yeah, I don't mind them.

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 13:40
Yeah Alright

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 11:09
Now Ill emphasize --if ya got stock tyres --get rid of em as fast as ya can.
My lil tv screen in my head saw corner and bus then car then HELLO bus again-hmm not on the plan that one -- slip sliding awaay --diddnt know I could motorcross round a corner :gob:

Antallica
28th May 2004, 11:28
Yeah it's a crud tyre alright, seems to have a real crap compound too. If you look at it, it's all cracked and stuff. Not smooth like my Pirelli rear.

The stockie does do well on long trips, but it's seems city riding is bad on it.. Will biff when I can, it's starting to wear out enough for me to replace.

Antallica
28th May 2004, 11:34
Oh yeah and if you look on the Pirelli MT75's they say 'tubeless'.... that's all crap btw.. mine has a tube.

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 14:19
yea but do you have a rim suitable to run tubeless?--could be the guy at the tyre shop diddnt think it through

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 14:21
Ohh now about 5 years ago Yokohama dit a lovely soft little tyre called I think a sprint-Shenko now do all their small bike tyres--If they use the same compound you mighht be suprised how sticky they are

Antallica
28th May 2004, 14:24
Not sure on that one man, probably is capable of it though.

I wish it had a analogue dash though, I don't like the digital anymore. I'd love to do a full fairing mod on her too with the RAM air induction. Ahh well, one day.

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 12:43
the more i look at this little bike the more i wonder if suzie did a nekkid version.
I reckon an unfaired fxr would be perfect to commutte on--- wheres that hacksaw???

Indiana_Jones
31st May 2004, 17:00
how much for some new tyres for the FXR?

-Indy

jrandom
31st May 2004, 17:05

I got a set of Pirelli MT75s from Leading Edge for $260 a few months back.

bane
31st May 2004, 18:35

-Indy

got a set of BT39SS for $250 - can see them wearing out b4 my eyes, but boy do they have grip :yes:

Indiana_Jones
31st May 2004, 19:22
I got a set of Pirelli MT75s from Leading Edge for $260 a few months back.

that's for both right? how much for getting them put on?

-Indy

Two Smoker
31st May 2004, 19:30
that's for both right? how much for getting them put on?

-Indy
Don't go for MT75's, great commuting tyre, crap if you want to cain it....... You can't go wrong with the Bridgestone BT39SS or Dunlop TT900....... they stick like shit to a blanket.....

Indiana_Jones
31st May 2004, 19:43
Price tag on those?
:D

But 1st I really need a jacket :p

-Indy

Two Smoker
31st May 2004, 19:46
Price tag on those?
:D

But 1st I really need a jacket :p

-Indy
$157.50 for a BT39SS 100/80 rear (fitted but you have to take the wheel off yourself)

and i payed about $165 at colemans for a BT39SS 90/80

But if you get both at the same time, mmmmuuuuucccccchhhhhh cheaper :niceone:

Indiana_Jones
31st May 2004, 19:55
Can u pay someone else to put the tyre on?

-Indy

Two Smoker
31st May 2004, 19:58
Can u pay someone else to put the tyre on?

-Indyhow do you mean?
when i say fitted that means they put the tyre on for you......

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 22:47
what happened to those yoki sprints?
darn they were sticky tyres

Antallica
31st May 2004, 23:04
I've had no problems with the MT75's but The BT's sounds tempting, maybe I'll get a set one day.

Indiana_Jones
1st June 2004, 15:07
how do you mean?
when i say fitted that means they put the tyre on for you......

Well u said u had to take the wheel off?
can someone else do that? :p

-Indy

Antallica
17th June 2004, 00:50
Mine's looking super sexy now that it's super naked!

w3rd!

jrandom
17th June 2004, 09:20
Don't go for MT75's, great commuting tyre, crap if you want to cain it....... You can't go wrong with the Bridgestone BT39SS or Dunlop TT900....... they stick like shit to a blanket.....

And where the feck were YOU when I posted asking for advice on which tyres to buy for the FXR, eh?

Dammit. I might have to go shred my rear tyre as an excuse to buy a set of BTs, now...

[Edit: http://www.bridgestone-eu.com/articles.asp?ID=270 Gnnnnnnnnggghhh... must have NOW.]

FROSTY
17th June 2004, 09:28
Mine's looking super sexy now that it's super naked!

w3rd!
Hey Ive got a headlight /indicator bracket if ya wanna run her as a nekkid bike

Antallica
17th June 2004, 10:25
Yeah I think when I get another beast machine, I'm going to mod her nice and proper... get rid of all that plastic poop.

tuscan
25th June 2004, 15:52
Well, FXR's my first bike (I'm assuming the SJ50 doesn't count... <_< ) and I love it! :niceone:

Seems to go and stop pretty good and is heaps of fun to blast around the city on. At 12 000 rpm you can pretend you're on something really fast. :doobey: Cheap to fill up as well! :bleh:

So far no complaints, although a bit more speed would be nice, but probably unnecessary for the type of riding I do anyway. :whocares:

A question though... As someone who, up until now at least, has been mostly interested in cars, I have always used the old 0 - 100kmh as an indicator of straight line performance. What would people's estimates be for this measure, regardless of its use, for an FXR? :spudwhat:

Just wondering... :2thumbsup

tuscan
25th June 2004, 15:54
Oh yeah, brakes are pretty good...as I found out today when a van pulled out straight in front of me :2guns:

texmo
1st September 2004, 17:53
Indy,
If your after a jacket go to retro scooter on Mt. Eden road they have a jacket for $180 down from $360, they are alwase cheep there as the guy who owns the place isnt trying to get money out of the shop its just his toy.......

Tricky Dicky
9th December 2006, 17:34
I've had it for two years now and it definitely doesn't go quite as quick as it used to. Compression is OK so I reckon maybe a new plug will help (hasn't had one for a year). Can anyone recommend what the best one for it is? Or could it be something else? It's going into Wellington motorcyles for an 'a' grade service in the new year so I could get stuff done to it then.

Great bike though, replaced the tyres and mirrors when I got it and it made all the difference. I always run it on BP ultimate 98 and it loves the posh juice - when it only costs $20 a month on fuel riding it to work every day, why not?

I rode various Yamaha RD's in the UK fifteen or so years ago and the FXR's a vast improvement on what I remember them to be like... and compared to the 350 Enfield Bullet I had in India, well, there is no comparison. Though the bullet was heaps cooler, not being able to get it into 1st (or 2nd) half the time riding in the Himilayas wasn't fun. Well, ok, actually it was, but for the wrong reasons. If only I'd had the fixxer there and the Bullet here I'd have been laughin'

Fave bike? CBR 400 RR ex-race bike I borrowed for a few days from a bike shop owner in Kho Samui, Thailand. That island's one big circuit - yee ha, watch out for that buffalo.

:Punk:

jeremysprite
9th December 2006, 22:02
More trolling of old threads aye...
Yeah FXR's are mint. What colour does peeps like best? I think the silver is da shiz.

phoenixgtr
10th December 2006, 09:23
I've had it for two years now and it definitely doesn't go quite as quick as it used to. Compression is OK so I reckon maybe a new plug will help (hasn't had one for a year). Can anyone recommend what the best one for it is? Or could it be something else? It's going into Wellington motorcyles for an 'a' grade service in the new year so I could get stuff done to it then.

Great bike though, replaced the tyres and mirrors when I got it and it made all the difference. I always run it on BP ultimate 98 and it loves the posh juice - when it only costs $20 a month on fuel riding it to work every day, why not?

Try cleaning out the carb. I did that a couple of months ago and it made a world of difference. A new plug would be a good idea too, if that ones a year old. I find mine actually runs better on 91 than on 96 or 98, but I don't think thats a real problem.

Tricky Dicky
13th March 2007, 14:53
Cheers for the tip phoenixgtr, never tried running it on 91 so I might give it a tank full and see whether it makes a difference. I guess it would depend on what it's been tuned for... on which topic... Took it to Welly Motorcyles for a full service and it seems to be running much better for that, well, it was until some dickhead pulled out in front of me on Thursday and knackered it. Engine still goes fine, but had to stay in the shop till the forks and handlebars are fixed. Bloody typical :sick: .

Silver ones definitely are the shiz (guess what colour mine is), particularly when they have a shiny new front end (fingers crossed the insurance pays up 'cos the other geezer reckons it was my fault I was driving along the road when he decided to pull out - git - especially as he was driving a company car that will cost him naught but my excess is $700). Rant rant, moan moan, feel slightly better for that.

stanko
15th March 2007, 20:22
Cheers for the tip phoenixgtr, never tried running it on 91 so I might give it a tank full and see whether it makes a difference. I guess it would depend on what it's been tuned for... on which topic... Took it to Welly Motorcyles for a full service and it seems to be running much better for that, well, it was until some dickhead pulled out in front of me on Thursday and knackered it. Engine still goes fine, but had to stay in the shop till the forks and handlebars are fixed. Bloody typical :sick: .

Silver ones definitely are the shiz (guess what colour mine is), particularly when they have a shiny new front end (fingers crossed the insurance pays up 'cos the other geezer reckons it was my fault I was driving along the road when he decided to pull out - git - especially as he was driving a company car that will cost him naught but my excess is $700). Rant rant, moan moan, feel slightly better for that.

If you are in the right your insurance company will recover the excess from his insurance. If they dick around just book a date at the disputes tribuneral , costs about $30. He might then have a talk with the insurers and cough. Works for me, good luck