PDA

View Full Version : A request - Cornering help

justsomeguy
23rd June 2006, 23:31
Hi there,

I've been riding regularly for about 13-14 months now, mostly doing weekend rides and have done approximately 40,000 kms in that time.

Now for some reason I'm not as comfortable with my right hand cornering as my left hand cornering.

If there is any one who can give me some decent pointers on what I'm doing wrong I'll be really grateful and you can have in return a free lunch and $50 (fifty dollars) in petrol vouchers - I'm dead serious.

I'd prefer someone with a fair amount of track experience rather than someone with a lot of pure road experience.

Please PM me rather than reply in this thread if you feel up to the challenge.

Regards,
JSG

SwanTiger
23rd June 2006, 23:45
You can follow me through Woodcocks/West Coast Road if you buy me a Pie in Warkworth tomorrow.

I use to have the same problem as you, but found the solution was changing my perception and lines. Its just the natural "consequences" effect, you think worse will happe due to environment/circumstances in regards to left/right cornering.

Just takes practise.

EDIT: Going around a Go Kart track on a bucket helps too.

First time on the track, straight after I could get my peg down on the hyosung when ever I wanted.

James Deuce
23rd June 2006, 23:49
Look through the corner, not at it.

Don't look at stuff on the left hand side of the road.

Stay to the left of your lane on approach so you aren't dangling your body over the centreline.

Plan your approach: Where to brake, where to release the brakes, where to turn in, where to apex, where to accelerate out of the corner.

Do one thing at a time - brake - turn - accelerate.

Most of all look through the corner.

Practice. No one can do it for you.

Don't forget to look through the corner, not at it.

scumdog
23rd June 2006, 23:59
Look as far ahead as precticable and focus on getting their - DO NOT stare at the road about 20 metres on front of you as that will only lead to soiled Y-fronts and tear-stained faces.
I had the same prblem of left bends being easy at any speed but right ones got to the "shit-shit-shit" a few times.

Dunno WHY - but now with the new bike, the T-Sport, I have not had that problem, maybe it's the wider bars???

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 00:03
Uhmm......

I can wear out a brand new plastic left hand side knee slider down to the leather in a few minutes, can't get my right knee anywhere down.

I know getting your knee down is not the be all, end all - but it is a ground clearance marker and I would like to be equally comfortable with both sides.

I've gotten right to the edge of my front tyre on both sides.

I still feel I need to work more on my right hand side cornering.

I always do my best to use vanishing points, judge my turn in points and look through the corner, I managed to consistently lap the full Taupo track around the 2:15 to 2:20 mark at my most recent track day on a naked 250 with a max speed of "around" 160 on the back straight and 130 on the front straight.

That's why I wanted help from someone with a fair bit of track experience. I'm looking for tips on body positioning and some other bad habits that I don't have the experience to diagonise.

scumdog
24th June 2006, 00:09
Because we drive on the left (well MOST of us do) the left hand bends are sharper and we don't have to go so fast to get the same lean-angle...

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 00:28
Getting your knee down is a waste of time, as far as I'm aware its only purpose is to help racers bring the bike back up faster when exiting a corner by exerting force through their leg.

Clearance means nothing.

People who sit upright and barely lean the bike over can be just as fast as someone who hangs off dragging their knee through a corner.

Not that I'm experienced by any means...

But by the time you enter the corner its all over. All your cornering was done in your head 50 - 100 meters back and now your instincts/abilities take over.

Practise Practise Practise.

Swanny mate, you are a great guy with an intelligent approach to most things, but your inexperience is beggining to show with the above post.

Kind Regards,
JSG

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 00:48
I'll re-tract my comments and admit the truth, I'm an overweight rider on a bike second slowest to a GN 250 who knows absoloutely nothing after 6 months of road riding.

But! But! But!

Offer is still there though, even if you'd just like a short blat along a lovely piece of road.

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 00:58
Offer is still there though, even if you'd just like a short blat along a lovely piece of road.

Offer accepted. Next weekend perhaps?

Gremlin
24th June 2006, 02:27
If your tyres are getting to the same on both sides, I would say its your positioning on the bike...

I have the same, I know I lean off more on the left, than the right.

ZeroIndex
24th June 2006, 07:10
sit on the bike in reverse.. it should help your right cornering, as you'll be doing 'left' in reverse :nya: P/T

..sorry i can't be of any use.. let alone help :)

ManDownUnder
24th June 2006, 07:25
Look through the corner, not at it.

Don't look at stuff on the left hand side of the road.

Stay to the left of your lane on approach so you aren't dangling your body over the centreline.

Plan your approach: Where to brake, where to release the brakes, where to turn in, where to apex, where to accelerate out of the corner.

Do one thing at a time - brake - turn - accelerate.

Most of all look through the corner.

Practice. No one can do it for you.

Don't forget to look through the corner, not at it.

Yup - all of the above. Especially the art of where to look/what to look at. I personally have a practise of riding in the right hand wheeltrack - with a few exceptions when I ride in the left wheel track... (Fast Lane on the motorway and riding in formation when following another bike who is in the right wheel track).

If you're hammering it through a corner... the wheeltrack thing goes out the window, but you can then "keep a safe head". I.e. keep your head in a line where nothing else will be.

Keeping a safe head mainly means I don't ride around RH corners with my bike in my lane but head in the other lane. A car or truck won't appreciate the mess, and I won't be able to help clean it up. It might be an optimal line for speed... but death has it's drawbacks.

Other than that - experience is a wonderful teacher, and a few more miles under your belt will do you good. I like the idea of the go-kart track on a bucket. Brilliant suggestion, or put a couple of cones out in some carpark somewhere and do figure 8's around them. (also good for learning how to drive/back and car and/or trailer...

Make sure there's plenty of space between the cones or you'll end up dizzy as hell and falling over when you stop though
MDU

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 09:24
JSG, theres a track day starting RIGHT NOW, in manfield which you pulled out of. That is why you should be going, your question would have been answered by professional racers today. Fuck they would even have showen you how to do it, and what lines to take etc.:nono:

You think I don't know that??? I'm fucking pissed off at not being able to find transport:angry:

Hiring a van and going down myself would have been too expensive.

Maha
24th June 2006, 12:07
I'll re-tract my comments and admit the truth, I'm an overweight rider on a bike second slowest to a GN 250 who knows absoloutely nothing after 6 months of road riding.

But! But! But!

Dont be too hard on yourself, you have done the BRONZ thing at Whenuapai and must have learnt something from that, JSG should give that crack, i think i will do it also, i perfer lefty's for some reason, i did talk to Noel (CaN) about one night not so long ago and he explained why that is, cant remember the reason because of the rum i had that night but i do remember thinking, mmmmm, he has a point, i should put that to practice.....:yes:

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 15:44
Dont be too hard on yourself, you have done the BRONZ thing at Whenuapai and must have learnt something from that, JSG should give that crack, i think i will do it also, i perfer lefty's for some reason, i did talk to Noel (CaN) about one night not so long ago and he explained why that is, cant remember the reason because of the rum i had that night but i do remember thinking, mmmmm, he has a point, i should put that to practice.....:yes:

Done it once already and went back as a volunteer the other time.

I'm not talking about basic cornering, I'd like to be able to drag my right knee as well as I can drag my left knee and attack corners with an equal amount of commitment on each side.

digsaw
24th June 2006, 16:14
Well JSG, knee sliders? i dont wear them, never had the need ,not on the road nor on the track. Keep yar bum on the seat, look where you want to go, keep your head pointed there too and more or less vertical, dont turn in too early or you apex too soon and run out of road. Make sure your tires are good and not worn, specially the front and make sure the rear tire is spec size and not larger. When you find that you are running out of ground clearance then start to get off the side, practice, practice untill you dont have to think about waat you are going to do. Any way how cares if yar knee is on the road or not cause from waat i have seen most people that do it are only show boating. :yes: my 2c worth..............:rockon:

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 16:19
Well JSG, knee sliders? i dont wear them, never had the need ,not on the road nor on the track. Keep yar bum on the seat, look where you want to go, keep your head pointed there too and more or less vertical, dont turn in too early or you apex too soon and run out of road. Make sure your tires are good and not worn, specially the front and make sure the rear tire is spec size and not larger. When you find that you are running out of ground clearance then start to get off the side, practice, practice untill you dont have to think about waat you are going to do. Any way how cares if yar knee is on the road or not cause from waat i have seen most people that do it are only show boating. :yes: my 2c worth..............:rockon:

Thanks DS. I do try and do that already - however I still believe I apex too early.

I use my slider as a marker thats all and it helps me stabilise the bike, well those are my excuses.

I guess at your level it doesn't really matter.... thanks for the tips, will be putting them into practice tomorrow morning.

terbang
24th June 2006, 16:38
On the ROAD I am more of a nana in the left handers than the right and often have a small chicken strip on the left with none on the right. Its because I am all too aware that if I screw up a left corner I can end up wearing a cage though I am aware of all the other obstacles that could wear me on right corners. Wouldn't be too hard on Swanny there as I too believe that most of the cornering stuff ups happen because of whats between our ears and not because of our motor memory skills or our bikes. Handling skills, mental skills & self control skills used together, are what make us safer and faster.

Maha
24th June 2006, 16:42
- however I still believe I apex too early.

Wanna watch that mate......most females hate it when that happens.....:killingme

Terminated
24th June 2006, 16:57
Hi there,

I'd prefer someone with a fair amount of track experience rather than someone with a lot of pure road experience.

Gidday JSG
I am a complete and utter newbie - Here is one good item I did pick up on this week adn it is from a good source:

Body Position - I have been working on keeping 'the rider's centreline to the inside of the bike centreline while looking through the turn to exit and keeping the head perpendicular to the road. Also relaxing the outside arm and not fighting for control with the inside arm - I let the inside arm do all the steering.

Essentially that has come from "Total Control" by Lee Parks

Though I am a newbie, I trust what I am 'learning' applies to us all at one time or another, if not all the time.

Regards

ZeroIndex
24th June 2006, 16:58
Wanna watch that mate......most females hate it when that happens.....:killingme
hahaha.. classic :D

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 17:06
Guy's I was after someone who had some spare time who wanted to come out for a ride or find a car park/deserted road to practice. In return they get a free lunch and $50 worth of petrol vouchers.

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 18:14
Uhmm......

I can wear out a brand new plastic left hand side knee slider down to the leather in a few minutes

That must give some hellish wear on the carpet.

Joni
24th June 2006, 18:21
My suggestion would be: Go to Forum leaders, check out who the mentors are... see who is closest to where you live and ask for help - they stepped up and said they would help if people need it. Rather than sitting waiting for an offer... if you really want help, go and find it...

edit - good on ya for doing this tho.

chanceyy
24th June 2006, 18:52
JSG, theres a track day starting RIGHT NOW, in manfield which you pulled out of. That is why you should be going, your question would have been answered by professional racers today. Fuck they would even have showen you how to do it, and what lines to take etc.:nono:

OMG .. i have just got back from the track day ... fucken awesome .. we all walked the track this morning spectators & riders... even though I have not ridden for about 15yrs .. and getting back into it next yr ... what fantastic advise was given by shaun & jason ...

being a total novice I totally understood what they were saying on corners, lines, steering bike with knees not arms, putting weight on each footpeg for cornering, looking up into distance rather than just in front of you ..

watching everyone out there having fun, but all totally improving confident and smoother .. awesome job everyone !!

.. i have totally been bitten by the bug ...

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 19:26
.. i have totally been bitten by the bug ...

You should have stayed away from Cowpoos then, silly girl.

chanceyy
24th June 2006, 19:36
You should have stayed away from Cowpoos then, silly girl.

ahhhhh our mr poosy ... hmmmm bit hard to avoid him LOL he is larger than life .. not quite sure how i became his coffee bytch .. ohh yeah told him that I brought a thermos .. laffing .. will hide it next time ..

great to meet all the ppl we chat to online ..

fantastic ..

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 19:54
bit hard to avoid him LOL he is larger than life..

HA HA POOS YOU TUBBY CUNT

I told you that you woz a fat beearch.

chanceyy
24th June 2006, 20:07
HA HA POOS YOU TUBBY CUNT

I told you that you woz a fat beearch.

ahh but you misunderstand me dover .. was talking of his personality .. :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya: :nya:

Lazy7
24th June 2006, 21:02
whats your tyre wear like?

probably horribly one sided like mine.

i am hoping with a new tyre at the rear it will go back to feeling neatrual and i can work on my right handers as well...

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 21:07
and i can work on my right handers as well...

Just hold the mouse in your left hand and your technique will improve in a matter of strokes.