PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Nuts GC - Practice Rides

XP@
24th June 2006, 09:11
Ok, I have done it now. Posted my application for the 20th GC.

The problem is I'm hoplessly out of practice for the long rides and need to get some training in before the event.

So, I am looking to get my self hardened up over the next few months.
Starting off with a couple of 500km rides, then working up to 1000km before October.

Pace is usually speed limit + 10, no point in attracting the fuzz. and petrol / food stops as short as possible.

So, if you are up for a ride then lets see what we can work out :-)

Madness
24th June 2006, 11:15
I'd be keen to hook up for a long weekend day ride sometime soon. rfc85 is always doing >500k rides in weekends also.

I'm being given orders to vacate the premises tomorrow to allow a quiet study environment again (bugger) hopefully it will be drier & warmer then???

Hitcher
24th June 2006, 13:02
Once I am re-biked, I'd be up for the occasional overnighter -- Taupo and back through Napier after work -- that sort of thing.

XTC
24th June 2006, 14:40
Once I am re-biked, I'd be up for the occasional overnighter -- Taupo and back through Napier after work -- that sort of thing.
That's a day ride isn't it?

sAsLEX
24th June 2006, 15:00

Of note saw in the Bike Rider mag whilst getting tire fitted- in a st vs goldwing article a piece by a guy who was pushed into the path of an oncoming car pillioned up and collected the cars right hand side and manged to keep it uprght and pull over safeish, with some broken bones and a broken pannier the only bad thing from a combined speed 200+ crash!

Hitcher
24th June 2006, 15:54
That's a day ride isn't it?
I'd prefer to do it at night, as practice for the GC.

Zapf
24th June 2006, 16:02
Will be keen. Any Aucklander / Northern ppl interested?

Hitcher
24th June 2006, 16:05
The North and South crews could have a midnight rendezvous at an appropriate (and open) place of culinary conveyance in Taupo.

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 16:06

What do you think??:wait:

Seen as we are pretty comfortable with all day rides - how bout you chart up a 1000km ride??:scooter:

justsomeguy
24th June 2006, 16:07
The North and South crews could have a midnight rendezvous at an appropriate (and open) place of culinary conveyance in Taupo.

Butt, bum, bottom I only have a restricted license and my mum doesn't like me to be with strangers after 10 pm or she'll send the piggies after me.

Zapf
24th June 2006, 16:21

sounds good. Just when its not all iced and frozened up.

sels1
25th June 2006, 20:39

could be up for that....depending on dates

Zapf
25th June 2006, 20:47
anyone has route maps of previous GC's? so that we know what sort of roads are expected and plan accordingly?

I also found that the forms on RustyNuts's site are not downloadable. So I have taken the form and put it into a word doc. Its not an official form but for your convenience.

Attached.

rfc85
25th June 2006, 20:56
Ok, I have done it now. Posted my application for the 20th GC.

The problem is I'm hoplessly out of practice for the long rides and need to get some training in before the event.

So, I am looking to get my self hardened up over the next few months.
Starting off with a couple of 500km rides, then working up to 1000km before October.

Pace is usually speed limit + 10, no point in attracting the fuzz. and petrol / food stops as short as possible.

F#%k only saw this now,I went up to taihape and back today,would have been good to have company,going up the coromandel next weekend so won't be around but keen for the long rides most weekendz

Jantar
25th June 2006, 21:05
I do believe that the GC will be a good traing run for the 1000 miler. The Chatto Creek 1000 that is. It'll be a week later this year, and is planned for the first weekend in December. :scooter:

Titanium
25th June 2006, 21:16
I'd be keen for a long ride..... might just enter the GC myself, was looking for something more than a day ride, coffee ride to do.

Cheers

Peter

XP@
26th June 2006, 09:12
anyone has route maps of previous GC's? so that we know what sort of roads are expected and plan accordingly?

I also found that the forms on RustyNuts's site are not downloadable. So I have taken the form and put it into a word doc. Its not an official form but for your convenience.

Attached.
Usually find the route consists of roads. More specifically north island roads.
They are mostly SH's with low numbers however some have higher numbers. and more often than not there will be some obscure road with a special offer on bends, no road markings and a timezone of 3am.
And if it is raining so much the better.

Hellraiser
26th June 2006, 10:16
Is there a KBer group that do this one?

Blackbird
26th June 2006, 10:44
There will probably be quite a few KB riders on it but many prefer to either ride solo or with people we've ridden with for a long time. The reason is that it's a long way if your riding styles aren't compatible. (The length of fuel stops/breaks for example). If people want to ride together, you also have to organise the same start time with Lee Hurley.

kiwifruit
26th June 2006, 11:37
im keen to do the GC
it will be a very sore ride on the gsxr but i'll do it!

Hitcher
26th June 2006, 12:49
There are a few of us KBers that have done recent GCs. But it's not a group ride, or a race. If you have never done an endurance ride before the GC will tell you much about yourself and your bike that you probably never knew. If you haven't done much night riding, I would recommend some practice and also ensuring you have a decent headlight on your bike. If you don't like riding in the cold and wet, and haven't got gear that's up to these sorts of conditions for prolonged periods, I recommend strongly you get some. Including heated handgrips. A GC is hard enough to do without being miserable.

ZeroIndex
26th June 2006, 13:14
There are a few of us KBers that have done recent GCs. But it's not a group ride, or a race. If you have never done an endurance ride before the GC will tell you much about yourself and your bike that you probably never knew. If you haven't done much night riding, I would recommend some practice and also ensuring you have a decent headlight on your bike. If you don't like riding in the cold and wet, and haven't got gear that's up to these sorts of conditions for prolonged periods, I recommend strongly you get some. Including heated handgrips. A GC is hard enough to do without being miserable.
that is a good point with the night riding with wet weather.. make sure you have a clear visor with you (if you use a tinted one during the day).. i remember riding back from whangamata beach hop 06, on the saturday night in the cold pouring rain without 'proper' bike gear.. wasn't much fun, but was do-able.. the biggest problem though, was my visor.. was my tinted one, so on the corners, had to have my visor up, and rain hurts.. but now, with the added experience of 'been there, done that', and proper gear, i would find it much easier..

kiwifruit
26th June 2006, 16:21
BIG thank you to Blackbird for the info emailed :niceone:
alot to consider, really appreciate it

Zapf
26th June 2006, 17:13
RIB if u are reading this are you doing the GC this year?

Hitcher, (did u suggest the dinner meet up at Taupo?) I suppose the Taupo dinner will be later on when there is less chance of ice on the road?

Titanium
26th June 2006, 18:08
Sent my entry off today, glad I have heated grips and a nice comfy ride...... with a little power and a headlight that dazzles.:scooter:

justsomeguy
26th June 2006, 18:19

I'll most probably start one for the guys in these parts if there are a few of us.

Things are a lot easier if there's more than just you out there at 2am looking out for yourself.

XP@
27th June 2006, 09:00
I'll most probably start one for the guys in these parts if there are a few of us.

Things are a lot easier if there's more than just you out there at 2am looking out for yourself.
Urrr... thought you just had your restricted. you need a full licence to ride this one. being a night ride and all...

Could see about setting up a RNGC group for this year... be good to plan, banter with other registered riders

justsomeguy
27th June 2006, 09:00
Urrr... thought you just had your restricted. you need a full licence to ride this one. being a night ride and all...

Could see about setting up a RNGC group for this year... be good to plan, banter with other registered riders

I should have my full by October.

ajturbo
27th June 2006, 09:29
i'm keen... but what date's have you in mind?...

Hitcher
27th June 2006, 19:01
Hopefully Mr Swann will cough up some cash in the next week or so, and then I can complete "meaningful discussions" with a purveyor of motorcycles. Some date towards the back end of July or early August would work best for me. I'd also prefer to have a bale-out option if the weather looks too perverse.

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 22:51
im keen to do the GC
it will be a very sore ride on the gsxr but i'll do it!
Your not wrong

I'm keen to have a go.

Can someone send me some info

Cheers

Hitcher
28th June 2006, 09:03
Everything you need to know is on the Nuts' website www.rustynuts.co.nz

XP@
28th June 2006, 10:03
Havent thought about any practice dates yet, but I know I need to be doing about 1 ride a month to get properly bike fit...

Zapf
28th June 2006, 15:42
Havent thought about any practice dates yet, but I know I need to be doing about 1 ride a month to get properly bike fit...

I think more... like once a week at lease... but thats me 0.02c

Holy Roller
7th July 2006, 18:03
anyone has route maps of previous GC's? so that we know what sort of roads are expected and plan accordingly?.

this is from last years ride
http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/images/uploaded/Route.JPG

Hitcher
7th July 2006, 18:20
When's the next full moon?

RiderInBlack
7th July 2006, 19:46
RIB if u are reading this are you doing the GC this year?Na bugger it all. Broke as so can't afford this year.
By the way there's a Dude up here that has done this 8+ times on a R1 (rides hard too).

Those planning ta do this please do the following:

Regular dusk/night/early morning rides. Ya know those hours ya don't normally like riding. I found a good trick was ta get up early ta ride down to join a ride that day that start at least 200km away from home and then ride back that day (Coro Loop for me is a total of 800km home around and return). Ya had ya practice ride and some fun with ya more distant mates too. I rode to a Poker Run in Maketu overnight in the pissing rain once. Well over 400km from 9pm ta 2pm in the pissing rain (and loved it too, got the best Japper for that, LOL).

Ride the rain. This well help ya check that ya gear is up to it and improves ya wet weather skills (ya going ta need both).

Make sure ya have money put aside for a full comprehensive servicing of ya bike (include the cost of a new set of tyres and brake pads) and fuel & food for the trip to the GC, during the GC and for the return.

Best things I did ta improve my gear for the GC:

I need corrective lenses ta ride. Contact that can be worn 24hrs+++ helped big time. They were the best when it came ta rain and the morning mist. With contacts I was able ta ride vizer up in the heavy mist, which had me gaining ground on most riders.
A clear Fog-city insert in one of the 2 Clear Vizers I used for the ride. This paid-off in the late evening cold, into the night and rain. Please use a newer vizer as the sratches in ya old ones lets the rain an fog build up on it instead of beading up and blowing off.
The "Rider" custom seat. Fu*ken awesome. The difference was amazing and no having ta ride a fu*ken wet sheep when the rain got bad.Best of luck ta ya Dudes and Dudettes that are doing this this year. Ya have a blast.

Hellraiser
8th July 2006, 08:21
I'm in for any pratice rides

XP@
8th July 2006, 15:16
When's the next full moon?
That is a good point...
full moons:
11th July (Great day cos it is my birfday :-)
9th August
8th September
7th October (so the ride will only have a 3/4 moon bugger)

Zapf
9th July 2006, 00:26
That is a good point...
full moons:
9th August
8th September

full moon is when all the animals come out no? including on the road

Lee Rusty
9th July 2006, 01:06
See the RideSafe 350 event list on this site - it is on 20th August.
a 350 mile (600km) one day ride - route on the day.

It is organised by some members of the RNMC as a fund raiser for the RideSafe motorcycle school - Held on an infrequent basis this years run is to assist in equipment replacement.

Zapf
10th July 2006, 00:20
this is from last years ride
http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/images/uploaded/Route.JPG

thanks. Can someone confirm that one of those roads from Gisbon heading north west is the Gravel highway?

figjam
11th July 2006, 00:53
thanks. Can someone confirm that one of those roads from Gisbon heading north west is the Gravel highway?

What's the Gravel highway? If you mean somewhere that really is gravel - not a chance on a Grand Challenge. It's hard enough already without making people do gravel on road bikes. You can check the route out in a write up I did last year http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=388271&postcount=238 and there are several other descriptions in the thread. I also have a 1Mb jpeg of a North Island map with the route overlaid. Let me know if you would like a copy.

Zapf
13th August 2006, 17:44
Time to plan a few night rides and pratices in Sept and Oct I think, leading up to the 1000 miler.

Anyone care to throw up some dates and suggestions?

14th Oct is going to be Last Quarter moon, so I assume that is 1/2 moon. Similar to 16 Aug and 14 Sep. Which is interesting seeing 16th Sep is a Sat and all...

Hitcher
14th August 2006, 08:55
Leave Shell Mana one night at 6:00pm and do a New Plymouth/Taumarunui/Pahiatua loop home? Brunch at the Fush in Martinborough? A starter I shall be.

zaq
14th August 2006, 09:15
If anyone around akl is keen on a ride, I usually try to do 500 - 800 kms every alternate saturday. Speed limit or below though. Thinking of going somewhere South this Saturday.
Cheers, ZAQ

XP@
14th August 2006, 09:39
Leave Shell Mana one night at 6:00pm and do a New Plymouth/Taumarunui/Pahiatua loop home? Brunch at the Fush in Martinborough? A starter I shall be.
How far is that one?

Could look at a starter for next friday night for about 800km's?

Hitcher
14th August 2006, 11:00
How far is that one?

Could look at a starter for next friday night for about 800km's?

It should be about 800km. The WLG-New Plymouth-Taupo-Napier-WLG loop is just over 1,000km.

Zapf
14th August 2006, 19:48

Us Auck / northerners can meet you at Taumarunui if there is anywhere to stop...

SwanTiger
14th August 2006, 19:54
full moon is when all the animals come out no? including on the road
Yep, I use to go Possum hunting on the full moons.

Hitcher
14th August 2006, 20:22
When is the next full moon? My office calendar at home only advises Australian public holidays for August.

Zapf
15th August 2006, 19:08
When is the next full moon? My office calendar at home only advises Australian public holidays for August.

why? do you want to ride during full moon?

XP@
16th August 2006, 08:47
Deja Vu! See page 3.

That is a good point...
full moons:
9th August
8th September

why? do you want to ride during full moon?
The moon acts as a great big reflector and if there is a clear sky then the benefit of the reflection is reaped by way the increased ambiant light, thus improved visibility.

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 09:10
I'm a werebiker.

Ah wooo! And my hair is perfect...

XP@
16th August 2006, 10:41
I'm a werebiker.

Ah wooo! And my hair is perfect...
Looks like an all nighter is out of the question this weekend, I need oto be semi sensible on sat and sun. That does not rule out a 500km ride starting at 8pm (ish) though ending at 1 to 1:30.

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 10:42
Those are odd hours. Were you thinking of a run to Taupo or New Plymouth and back?

XP@
16th August 2006, 10:47
Those are odd hours. Were you thinking of a run to Taupo or New Plymouth and back?

Home from work, dinner, put little one to bed at 7:30pm, say "ta ta" to the rest, get suited up and down to shell mana for 7:50pm fuel up and on the road.

XP@
16th August 2006, 10:58
ohakune is 250km's then back via the paraparas
http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=ohakune&endrd=&endtown=mana&rn=NZ&qs=s

should be about right time wise and if good time is made then optional switch back through the wiarapa.

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 11:25
ohakune is 250km's then back via the paraparas
http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=ohakune&endrd=&endtown=mana&rn=NZ&qs=s

should be about right time wise and if good time is made then optional switch back through the wiarapa.

This Friday, 18 August?

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 11:27
I've also got an option for "sealed-goat-track-in-the-dark" that could be added to your proposed route...

XP@
16th August 2006, 12:33
I've also got an option for "sealed-goat-track-in-the-dark" that could be added to your proposed route...

Last time I did it it was a "sealed sheep track in the dark" I thought about it... thought better, then thought well, it would avoid Ohakune. I still havn't worked out fuel use / range on a 1000miler pace so I am going to guess on a sub 300km range. Also need to get in to the quick stop mind set, so an additional stop ain't a bad thing.

This friday, or next friday. Next is probably a bit better.

1 Mana, Wanganui (fuel), Para-paras, fields track, waiouru, bulls (fuel), Mana
2 Mana, Wanganui (fuel), Para-paras, fields track, waiouru, bulls (fuel), sh2, Mana
3 Mana, Wanganui (fuel), Para-paras, fields track, waiouru, vinager hill, p.north (fuel), sh2, Mana

just been out and looked at the rear tyre, hmmm...

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 13:42
For a 500km (approx) ride I had thought of:

Mana to Waiouru (gas stop)
Waiouru to Ohakune to Wanganui (gas stop)
Wanganui to Fordell to Hunterville
Hunterville to Cheltenham to Ashhurst to Woodville
Woodville to Masterton (gas stop) to home

Doing Fields Track in daylight is bad enough. I wouldn't relish doing it in the dark -- way too much wandering stock and I suspect it will have been knocked around by the recent rains.

XP@
16th August 2006, 15:36
For a 500km (approx) ride I had thought of:

Mana to Waiouru (gas stop)
Waiouru to Ohakune to Wanganui (gas stop)
Wanganui to Fordell to Hunterville
Hunterville to Cheltenham to Ashhurst to Woodville
Woodville to Masterton (gas stop) to home

Doing Fields Track in daylight is bad enough. I wouldn't relish doing it in the dark -- way too much wandering stock and I suspect it will have been knocked around by the recent rains.
Sounds like a reasonable ride.
I think you need to add at least one interesting road because there is invariably one scheduled at a silly time in the morning e.g. fields track at 3am, complete with dead sheep and washouts.

Hitcher
16th August 2006, 15:47
I think you need to add at least one interesting road because there is invariably one scheduled at a silly time in the morning

Wanganui - Fordell - Hunterville is an "interesting road" and should be particularly so at night.

Zapf
16th August 2006, 23:16
Deja Vu! See page 3.
The moon acts as a great big reflector and if there is a clear sky then the benefit of the reflection is reaped by way the increased ambiant light, thus improved visibility.

Yes... my point being that it won't be like that on GC. So might as well pratice with GC conditions.

RiderInBlack
17th August 2006, 13:58
Yes... my point being that it won't be like that on GC. So might as well pratice with GC conditions.:msn-wink: Ya got it in one. That was my thought too. Lee does not set the GC to match the Full moon. It was just the luck of the draw last year. The year before was not full moon, and there was frequent rain and wind. So be prepared for anything.

ajturbo
17th August 2006, 15:06
Looks like an all nighter is out of the question this weekend, I need oto be semi sensible on sat and sun. That does not rule out a 500km ride starting at 8pm (ish) though ending at 1 to 1:30.

it has been a bit frosty up this way over the last couple of nights,
yesterday i did a 350+k ride and a LOT of corners were wet.
i have to be up and at work by 4am...
can you guys PM me if you are "doing it" with aprox meet times around foxton way?

XP@
18th August 2006, 14:35
I can't ride tonight (woke up feeling like was Kicked in the left bollok), so if you go then enjoy it :-)
I may be a starter tomorrow night (same time same place)

Hitcher
18th August 2006, 15:16
Next Friday, 25 August, depart Shell Mana at 8:00pm. "Pick-up" at Foxton BP at 9:15pm?

XP@
21st August 2006, 13:53
I have a night pass for friday !!!

So, there ain't no stopping me!
I'll be wanting to be back for about 2am so about 500km's is about my limit (based on 80ish overall average) but I could prob go to 560 to make it a nice even 350 miles.

Hitcher
21st August 2006, 13:56
So that's Mana to Taihape return(ish), via Vinegar Hill?

XP@
21st August 2006, 14:04
Just checked on yellow maps

Mana - Wanganui - Ohakune - Waioru - Mana = 552km

Hitcher
21st August 2006, 14:30
And the long-range weather forecast is...

XP@
21st August 2006, 14:33
And the long-range weather forecast is...
... unimportant I ride anyway

Hitcher
21st August 2006, 14:57
I will reserve judgement. I don't mind a bit of wet and wind but I'm not going to be silly about this!

ajturbo
23rd August 2006, 10:25
I will reserve judgement. I don't mind a bit of wet and wind but I'm not going to be silly about this!

OK.. but what time you due past foxton area???
i to will decide on the night wether the weather is "ok"..:done:

XP@
23rd August 2006, 10:56
9:15 ish

It looks like it may be a tad chilly... wear thermals

ajturbo
23rd August 2006, 11:52
ice and me are not good mates... in fact i will go out of my to avoid them...
but then again it will only ice up at 0 deg....

please don't wait for me, if i am NOT at the Mobil garage waiting for you ... just ride on by...

XP@
25th August 2006, 09:36
Are we on for tonight?

I am at about 80% for a ride ...

Hitcher
25th August 2006, 11:06
I have had a rough week at work and am not currently mentally in the "zone" for a ride tonight, but may well be by 8:00pm! How's that for a vague and inconclusive response?

And this just to hand...

Severe Weather Warning

Press Release by MetService at 10:53 am, 25 Aug 2006

SOME HEAVY RAIN EXPECTED OVERNIGHT AND ON SATURDAY ABOUT MT TARANAKI AND THE TARARUAS

MetService is warning of a burst of heavy rain from Friday night through to about the middle of Saturday about Mount Taranaki and the Tararuas.

A fast-moving low is expected to move southeastwards over central New Zealand overnight, with its associated cold front crossing the southern North Island during Saturday morning. A moist northwest flow ahead of this front is expected to bring the heavy rain. Up to 120mm could fall about higher slopes of Mount Taranaki and the Tararuas in the 12 hours from midnight to midday Saturday, with 50-70mm about lower slopes.

The amount forecast is not excessively high for these areas, but people potentially affected, particularly recreational users, should watch out for rapidly rising rivers and streams.

FOR THE LATEST WEATHER AND FORECAST CHARTS PLEASE GO TO http://metservicecom/default/index.php?alias=mapsandobservations

MORE DETAILED INFORMATION FOR EMERGENCY MANAGERS AND TECHNICAL USERS FOLLOWS:

XP@
25th August 2006, 11:41
Risk management...

Back tyre is being replaced next week.
Severe rain warning
Hitcher not quite in the zone
XP@ not sure

Too many neg's therefore suggest postpone until next week?

Ok with you guys?

Hitcher
25th August 2006, 12:42
Sounds like a plan.

ajturbo
25th August 2006, 12:48
yer..
that would suit me better also...
last night i had to go and pick up luke from a school "dance" at 11.30pm.. got home and couldn't get back to sleep, for hrs... i am a bit sleepy...
getting old...:innocent:

XP@
2nd September 2006, 13:06
The ride happened!

Friday afternoon, called up Hitcher and made plans for 8:00 to 8:15 at the servo. I put the little one to bed at 7:55, gear on, good-byes and out the out the house at 8:07. Aggived at Shell Mana at 8:15, exact.

Down to business and up SH1, la de da de dum... I was just gettin restless when we turned off towards Shannon. Not much better, but less trucks and a few bends to wet the appitite. Why is Wellington so boring to exit? Mental note, find a fun route out.

A visor wipe in Ashurst and on to Vinagar Hill. Last time I ran this road was at night on the spider 1000 miler and I was not in a happy place. Not so last night, I found my place, the fire was lit! I was a bit disapointed, I remembered a bit more of a challenge from the road.

Back on to SH1 and back to the speed limit, well, speed limit ish. The weather could not be better, bright moon shine and not cold not too many others on the road. Just nice and quiet. I had a bit of an ooops moment coming on from passing a car and a big rig when I was trying to negotiate a bend and mixed up my hazzard lights with main beam, disco lights ain't that effective at illuminating the road. Passed Taihape and on to Waioru, quietly happy that my tank has lasted so far. A road work sign, some potholes and ... bugger who stole my corners? RIP to that set of bends, the comic relief just before the middle of nowhere.

Cold kiwi... ah, it is this weekend, forgot about that. The late arrival on the CB750 asks "are you off round the corner for the 'Kiwi'?" what a silly question, what else would I be doing in Waioru at 11:30pm? "Yup, but i urr forgot my pack so I'm off back to wellington to get it."

Ohakune and then the Para Paras, sweet road, but I need another cog, on second thoughts I think I am going fast enough. The sign said bendy 50+ km's the next sign 50+km's severe weather damage and roadworks. A pattern started to emerge, the big rocks on the left, washouts on the right, the middle ok, mostly and a 30 sign if things got really bad. Then there was the break in the pattern. No sign, down hill, right hand bend, in to gravel. Now awake, I looked back to make sure Mr Hitcher was still rubber side down, no worries on that score. A few km's later and no sooner had the gravel ended there was an extended family of sheep, complete with young'uns going for a stroll. As if that wasn't enough excitement for the minute, the second car in about 50km's decided to make it's appearence. Another fumbled moment with the switch gear and I managed to let out a warning peep on the horn.

A quick txt stop in Wanganui, rain from Levin to Otaki (including a small sideways moment on an 85k corner) and home at 3:10am.

total 557km's
6 hours 50mins
3 Petrol stops
2 minor stops
Overall average approx 80kph, not bad but could be better...

ajturbo
2nd September 2006, 13:38
great write up !!!

thanks to Hitcher for the ph call....
am realy sorry now that i didn't go....but $$$ don't grow on the tree's around here.

would like to know when the next one is...(checking bank balance..:gob: )

Hitcher
3rd September 2006, 22:33
Hitcher has posted separately. He's funny like that...

XP@
25th September 2006, 12:33
Only a short while to go, time to rev up for the final shake down beofre the 1000 miler.

I was thinking about an 900 - 1100 km ride on fsaturday pm / night. Any one up for the challenge? if not then I will (hopefully) do it solo.

Perhaps this is a good one for a giggle

It should be about 800km. The WLG-New Plymouth-Taupo-Napier-WLG loop is just over 1,000km.

It is actually 1056Km (or 973 directly back from Taupo)
Aiming to up the ante a tad and make an 85km/h average (I don't want to be spending much more than 19 hours on the road on the 1000miler) Setting off at 1pm sat will see a return at 2am.

Mana - New Plymouth (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=mana&endrd=&endtown=new+plymouth&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 327
New Plymouth - Piopio (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=new+plymouth&endrd=&endtown=piopio&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 140 (467)
Piopio - Taupo (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=piopio&endrd=&endtown=taupo&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 161 (628)
Then
Taupo - Napier (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=mana&endrd=&endtown=new+plymouth&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 140 (768)
Napier - Mana (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?client=nzyptd&startx=19693651&starty=-4766050&endx=0&endy=0&startrd=&starttown=NAPIER&startpc=4001&startstate=&endrd=&endtown=mana&endstate=&endpc=&endcountry=&startcountry=&rn=NZ&qs=s&starttime=00:00&lang=) = 288 (1056)

Or
Taupo - Mana (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=taupo&endrd=&endtown=mana&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 345 (973)

Hitcher
25th September 2006, 13:29
My weekends are now pretty stuffed between now and The Challenge. Otherwise most keen I would be.

A 80kmh rolling average for the Challenge is ambitious (completed in 20 hours), without wanting to step it up a notch to 85kmh. It is after all, not a race.

Zapf
28th September 2006, 00:53
I am coming to Wellington this weekend to get some riding fitness in and also to do with Great KB ride on the 1st Oct, so would been keen to meet up with you guys during the weekend. I will arrive in Wellington around Sat avo.

Let me know if you guys are keen to meet up and maybe T up a plan.

Cheers
Zapf

Zapf
28th September 2006, 00:56
Only a short while to go, time to rev up for the final shake down beofre the 1000 miler.

I was thinking about an 900 - 1100 km ride on fsaturday pm / night. Any one up for the challenge? if not then I will (hopefully) do it solo.

Perhaps this is a good one for a giggle

It is actually 1056Km (or 973 directly back from Taupo)
Aiming to up the ante a tad and make an 85km/h average (I don't want to be spending much more than 19 hours on the road on the 1000miler) Setting off at 1pm sat will see a return at 2am.

Mana - New Plymouth (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=mana&endrd=&endtown=new+plymouth&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 327
New Plymouth - Piopio (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=new+plymouth&endrd=&endtown=piopio&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 140 (467)
Piopio - Taupo (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=piopio&endrd=&endtown=taupo&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 161 (628)
Then
Taupo - Napier (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=mana&endrd=&endtown=new+plymouth&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 140 (768)
Napier - Mana (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?client=nzyptd&startx=19693651&starty=-4766050&endx=0&endy=0&startrd=&starttown=NAPIER&startpc=4001&startstate=&endrd=&endtown=mana&endstate=&endpc=&endcountry=&startcountry=&rn=NZ&qs=s&starttime=00:00&lang=) = 288 (1056)

Or
Taupo - Mana (http://maps.yellowpages.co.nz/clients/aproute.cgi?rt=route.htm&client=nzyptd&lang=&startrd=&starttown=taupo&endrd=&endtown=mana&rn=NZ&qs=s) = 345 (973)

I would be keen to join you on a night ride on the weekend before GC as a final shake down on the weekend on the 7th, Oct. Can meet you at Te Kuiti, and ride along to Napier, before doubling back Napier to Taupo and back to Auckland.

Let me know if you are keen, and if anyone else is reading this I would say you are more than welcome to join in.

Cheers
Zapf

XP@
2nd October 2006, 09:35
And for my latest bout of lunacy I decided on Gisborne return advertised at 501kms each way :-)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=771783#post771783

Feeling good for the 1000 miler now :-)
I'm confident my gear is good enough and I can carry all I need on my bike.
Only 2 weeks left and i am looking forward to it.

Oh, and I put my $'s over to Lee for my copy of the DVD :-)

Zapf
3rd October 2006, 00:44
rite, just done around 7xx GPS tracked km's taking the long way back from Wellington. 1/2 of it doen is howeling wind and rain. I know my gear is good for the job. I just need more riding fitness.

So coming weekend I'll be out on a big trip again, and see if I can go to Wellington and back the long way in 1 day...

Anyone is welcome to join me or meet up. Plan may change ... but let me know.

ajturbo
9th October 2006, 23:17
hey guys,

it was lucky i didn't go with you on the earler ride...
i went away this weekend and was suppose to be home around 6.....
well i got in at 8:whistle:

the oly scary time was the last 1/2hr.... when i suddenly realise that i really couldn't see the road very well...
yep my head light was a YELLOWish stain on the road at best!
at 160 i couldn't see anything, and had to go no more than 100ks as i just couldn't see where the road went!!!! and i knew the road!!!!..
so, looks like night riding is out till i sort out the problem!!!

Hitcher
10th October 2006, 07:49
Locked and loaded, ready to rock & roll. Who else is riding up from Wellington on Friday?

Gales forecast for most of the North Island Friday and Saturday. I hope the forecasters are wrong.

35tickets
10th October 2006, 08:25
Looks like a few of us will be going to the challenge. I'm riding down to hamilton from whangarei on thursday night on my KLR650, and then to Turangi on friday to get the scruitenering out of the way. Hope to see some of you there.

Hope that weather forecast is wrong.

All the best see you there!

XP@
10th October 2006, 08:43
Locked and loaded, ready to rock & roll. Who else is riding up from Wellington on Friday?

Gales forecast for most of the North Island Friday and Saturday. I hope the forecasters are wrong.

I'm heading up friday early afternoon. How about a mana meeting? 1pm?

Hitcher
10th October 2006, 09:25
How about a mana meeting? 1pm?

Midday? Either way, sounds like a plan.

XP@
10th October 2006, 09:43
Midday? Either way, sounds like a plan.

may not be able to get away quite that early, but do need to set a time

Zapf
10th October 2006, 16:58
in Auckland we are getting hail coming 30 degrees sideways.... interesting weather!

nadroj
10th October 2006, 18:41
Goin over friday with 2 others but only one of us competing. I'm hoping to get a few pics so if there's a meet up please let me know.

Hitcher
11th October 2006, 07:47
Everybody hangs out at the camping ground on Friday afternoon/evening for the scrutineering.

XP@
11th October 2006, 08:17
Goin over friday with 2 others but only one of us competing.

Hummm... It's not a race.

warewolf
13th October 2006, 08:26
I'm heading up friday early afternoon. How about a mana meeting? 1pm?I'm in Wellington today but wasn't planning to leave that early. I could be convinced? Where in Mana, I'm not a local...:baby:

Would be good to meet a few more KBers, so if you see a bright orange KTM, do come say hello!

PLUG
13th October 2006, 08:39
... ya all keep the rubber side down & have a safe & enjoyable ride ...

banditrider
8th September 2007, 17:15

Here's some rough maps of the 5 I've done - not too flash/accurate but anyway...

There's a bit more info on my website.

Only a month to go now...

NZsarge
8th September 2007, 19:10
Here's some rough maps of the 5 I've done - not too flash/accurate but anyway...

There's a bit more info on my website.

Only a month to go now...

The '99 ride looks like it would have been partiularly good.

warewolf
8th September 2007, 20:43
The '99 ride looks like it would have been partiularly good.Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It's the only one I did on the 1994 Triumph Tiger 900. Had an absolute hoot coming south from Kaitaia down through the Waipua forest - my first time down that road, and in the dark as we left Kaitaia after midnight.

The bit south of Dargaville that heads easterly was great; we (three of us) caught up to a freight-train of tail-lights snaking their way over hill and down dale, it looked neat to see. Then the fast guys came through, as usual. :clap:

But really, they're all good. Last year was a corker, one of the best.

banditrider
8th September 2007, 22:53
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It's the only one I did on the 1994 Triumph Tiger 900. Had an absolute hoot coming south from Kaitaia down through the Waipua forest - my first time down that road, and in the dark as we left Kaitaia after midnight.

The bit south of Dargaville that heads easterly was great; we (three of us) caught up to a freight-train of tail-lights snaking their way over hill and down dale, it looked neat to see. Then the fast guys came through, as usual. :clap:

But really, they're all good. Last year was a corker, one of the best.

Yeah it was cool alright - the only one I've been on that went that far north. I was possibly up near the front of that freight train - a mate on his Harley was holding up the works a bit.