PDA

View Full Version : xv750 starter probs

Blue
24th June 2006, 14:47
I'm having problems with the starter on my 1981 XV750. The starter turns but doesn't engage, does anyone know where I can get the replacement parts from without spending a million dollars?

Pat
24th June 2006, 19:22
before you attempt anything , purchase or borrow preferably a Haines manual for your bike.Study it with care and then remove left engine cover, and then starter clutch and starter to determine what has actually broken if in fact anything .You may be able to borrow a manual from your local library.Dont buy anything until you have done the aforementioned and then shop around , you may be able to purchase the parts needed on ebay at considerably less than you will pay in New Zealand.I asked at Waikato Yamaha how much a starter would be and with out checking I was told 6 o 7 hundred dollars.I purchased a 4 brush Yamaha starter new from an agent in USA for $129 US plus $45 airfreight and the new starter was delivered in 8 days , not bad service.Keep me informed and if I can help I will.
Cheers Pat

Meanie
24th June 2006, 20:44
Try the Virago site not too sure of the address but should be easy to find
Wired1 should be able to help you he recently purchased two of my XV 750s and has one on trade me at the moment
Very common problem good luck

Meanie
24th June 2006, 20:45
Welcome to the nut house by the way:doobey:

Blue
25th June 2006, 09:57
Thanks for your advice Pat, i already have the manual and am going to take the side cover off as you suggest and see just what the prob is.....I will also look at getting the parts direct from the States when I find out what the prob is.....everything is just soo bloody expensive in this country.....ggrrr
Take care

Blue
25th June 2006, 09:59
Thnx Meanie.....I should fit into the nut house just nicely, I guess ya gotta be a little nutty to luv the XV's and thier inherent probz......I will also look for the Virago site and see what cums of it......happy cruisin

Waylander
25th June 2006, 13:07
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24087

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30808

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=3489

Have a good read.

Blue
25th June 2006, 15:00
Hey thanks for that, nice to know there are others suffering the same frustrating probz, and able to fix them......I will dismantle this coming week......

Blue
26th June 2006, 16:36
Hi Pat, have taken side cover off and the only prob I can see is the Outer Idler Gear is very worn, other than that it all looks pretty good. I will try to find a replacement on EBay......regards Blue

Pat
26th June 2006, 17:43
Have a look at what Chopperbob is offering on ebay , look under motorcycle parts elctrical ASIAN, both Wired and myself have purchased his tension clip for the outer idler gear , in his kit he suggests that you simply turn the idler gear around and use the side that is unworn , I did this with no problems as a result.Do you have adobe if so I will ask my son if he can transfer the instructions on starterclutch to you that I received from USA .The other problem you may have is that in the nose of your starter motor the planetry gearing and drive disc are in two pieces if one separates which they are meant to do if under stress then the starter will just spin internally and no drive will take place under load.remove the starter and test on a bench.my private email is msbourke@xtra.co.nz send a message and I will attempt to transfer instructions that I gathered from sources on the internet.Cheers , this problem can be fixed Pat

Blue
26th June 2006, 20:04
As per my email to you Pat, you are a bloody legend.......thanx heaps for your advice.

F5 Dave
28th June 2006, 15:43
I'd remove [edit] my email address from the site if I were you or it will be picked up by programs gathering email addresses & your spam rate will go up.

Blue
29th June 2006, 17:21
Kewl, thanx Dave

Wired1
22nd July 2006, 16:37
Let us know how you get on with this - I bought just the clip and I think Pat bought the "enhanced" fix with extra shims and things. I bought an old copy of Two Wheels the other day that was dated 1981 and it had a review of the original XV750. Good read, they rated it but said the only problem was the starter motor - and that was a brand new bike!. Nice to see another XV rider...

degrom
24th July 2006, 11:45
Lovely... A few XV - Lovers!!!

I can't determine what is wrong with my XV... If the battery is fresh it starts the first time. But if it dies I can't get it to start again. I am getting the idea it's the battery that is giving my the trouble. I have slow charged it and after a day it gave me a reading of 11.89v... Is that okay?

I have used my GN250 battery to start the XV and it starts every time, BUT when I test the charge on the battery terminals when it revs at over 2000rpm I only get a voltage of 13.8V.

I have replaced the regulator unit with an old unit from a TR1 but the volts still does not go above 13.8V...

Alternator looks okay… All three tested as 0.5ohme

Is it a bad starter?
Is it a bad battery?
Is it a bad regulator?
Is it a bad Alternator?

The bike is also idling well over 1500rpm,but this can't be part of the starting problem, can it be?

Thanks for the advise on this site!!!

Wired1
24th July 2006, 12:15
Phew, well your bike should idle at 1000 rpm when warm so when it has been running for a few minutes adjust the large screw on the carb right by the throttle cable. Actually get yourself the manual, there is always a Haynes on Turdeme at the moment and it is not a bad read. The battery will probably only ever read about 14 volts when charging so that sounds right, afterall as long as it is more than 12 volts it will be charging so the problem is most likely either the battery or the starter motor. The fully charged battery should read slightly over 12 volts at rest and without anything attached to it so I would try swapping the battery out with the one from your GN, it probably isn't as big so it will only start the bike once or twice. All these bikes like a fully charged battery so if the battery is a bit soggy it will give you problems. Last resort is to get the starter motor fixed, I have done the bearing and seal in my last two bikes and it costs about $14 in parts plus the labour so should come out around $60 with any luck. It is something you can do yourself if you are careful and have a small amount of skill, it's a bit like nailing jelly to a tree.

degrom
24th July 2006, 12:35
You say it's like nailing jelly to a tree... I might have a go at it!!! LOL

Wired1
24th July 2006, 16:43
It's one of those things where you need an extra arm. I have tried the wife's but she normally gets annoyed with me and tells me to fornicate elsewhere. My teenage son has a similar lack of patience with me on this job. You can do it with one person as I have found, just take your time and lay everything out carefully as you dissassemble and clean.

imdying
24th July 2006, 18:07
11.89 is shitty... I take it it turns over slowly?

degrom
25th July 2006, 12:15
Yes... The first turn goes fine but if it did not start straight away it goes slower and slower.

Could it be that if the starter is finding it hard to turn the motor, that the spark is also getting weaker?

degrom
25th July 2006, 12:21
How long does a battery last? the previous owner had it for a year. They replaced the battery in that year and the person before them replaced the starter... :sick:

Wired1
25th July 2006, 12:34
In the good old days a battery would last 5-10 years but nowadays it seems we replace the work van batteries every two years. If your fully charged battery won't do more than one start then it is too small or buggered. If you have had the starter motor replaced then it must be the batrtery. Check that the battery is the right one in the manual or check with the battery manufacturers.

imdying
25th July 2006, 18:16
Yes... The first turn goes fine but if it did not start straight away it goes slower and slower.

Could it be that if the starter is finding it hard to turn the motor, that the spark is also getting weaker?Perhaps, but it sounds more like the battery is rooted.

Wired1
25th July 2006, 21:28
Perhaps, but it sounds more like the battery is rooted.
A bit technical but I agree.

degrom
25th July 2006, 21:39
Thanks... I will try to get a replacement battery ASAP. Then if it is not the battery, I can at least tick off one of the possibilities...

imdying
25th July 2006, 21:44
You'll need to check that the battery is recieving good voltage (over 13.5 would be nice, less than 15) when the bike is at say 4000rpm. If it's not, then that'll be what rooted that last one :D Make sure it's not too high though, too much will root the battery as quick as too little.

Wired1
27th July 2006, 21:34
You'll need to check that the battery is recieving good voltage (over 13.5 would be nice, less than 15) when the bike is at say 4000rpm. If it's not, then that'll be what rooted that last one :D Make sure it's not too high though, too much will root the battery as quick as too little.
It's all rooted with you isn't it?

imdying
28th July 2006, 18:29
Gotta tell it how I see it :lol:

Triker200
4th August 2009, 21:30
Hello everyone
I am having problems with starting my XV750, it is an intermitant fault that happens only on occasions, switch all systems on, all good, press the starter, all good, fires up and runs like a dream.

The problem comes when i press the starter and get a loud repeated clicking from the front end of the bike, but a more startermotor turning 2 wheels or cogs grinding against eachother, this will do this for a bit and then turn over once, and then back to the clicking and grinding.
Battery has been checked and working no issue, so it moves me on now to internals of the starter motor, starter clutch, starter solenoid, and starter flywheel. all of which are very expensive in the uk with yamaha wanting just over £300 for starter motor and another £250 for starter clutch, which i am prepared to spend if needed, has anyone experienced this before and know a bit more about it so i can avoid spending money that i do not need to.

Cheers
Simon

Ixion
4th August 2009, 21:58
Ah, the dreaded XV750 starter. Take consolation in that you are not alone. The insane asylums are full of people who started out with just the same problem as you

The problem is two fold. The starter motor is crap. And the starter drive is crap. The combination, sucks syphilitic donkey dick.

After market starters are both much (MUCH) cheaper, and much (MUCH) better than OEM. ebay (usa ebay) is your friend, there are two or three companies advertising them on there all the time. Prices are much the same, but make sure (SURE) that you get a four pole one.

Then pull off your left hand engine cover (helps to have a workshop manual here). Be careful of the wires at the rear. Inside is the starter drive. (you'll have to pull the cover off to fit the new starter anyway). Nothing difficult , just a few screws and bolts. Oh, drain the oil first.

Now in the Heath Robinson mess of gears levers springs pulleys windlasses and windmills that comprise the starter dive are (or should be) two wire thingies that look like the Marquis de Sade's idea of a cock piercing. Sort of bits of heavy guage wire with a loopy bit sticking out. You'll understand when you see them (if you understand already you probably have much in common with the noble Marquis)

These break , wear out, and come adrift, which is the usual cause of starter drive noise and malfunction. There is also a little light conical spring that has an irresistable lemming like suicide instinct to get itself mashed in the gears. Being as it is about three inches in diameter and the thickness of a hair, it doesn't take much to mash it. Recover the remains of all these, replace as necessary and refit correctly (three hands and 14 inch triple jointed titanium fingers help here, and an assistant small enough to climb down inside through the oil filler is indispensable (you'll need a little ladder for him also)

The other thing that wears out, but not as often as some people claim , is the actual gear thingy on the flywheel whatsit. If that's worn out, you may as well just go and stick your head in the gas cooker right away.

Good luck