PDA

View Full Version : Scooter repairs in Christchurch?

msm
24th June 2006, 19:00
Does anyone know a good place to take scooters for repairs in Christchurch? I'm too much of an ignorant tard to fix it myself, and it has just been in for nearly $300 worth of repairs but the problem (rear brake locking randomly) still hasn't been fixed.

I'm not going to say where it is at the moment but recommendations would be helpful.

Commuting for 3 hours every day on buses effing sucks. I want my scootah! :crybaby:

Warren
26th June 2006, 00:02
I can't recommend anywhere personally as I usually always repair/servive my bikes myself, but there are a few places that sell scooters that would probably be better such as city scooters (32 Allen st), also the place on Moorhouse near Fitzgerald St and of course any yamaha dealer.

If you give more details of what the problem is then some of the mechanically minded KB'ers can probably give you an idea of what needs fixed.

msm
30th June 2006, 09:22
Hi Warren, thanks for the info. About two weeks ago the rear brake on my scooter locked up completely while I was riding, leaving lovely plumes of black smoke all over the road and me being rather stranded with the rear wheel barely turning. (A lovely chap on a pushbike who happened to carry a motorcycle tool kit pulled over and loosened it so I could at least ride it home, sans rear brake.) I have a 1999 Yamaha Aprio, and rang various scooter places to see where I could get it serviced within a reasonable timeframe. Surprisingly enough, the Yamaha dealership on Ferry Rd wouldn't do anything, but recommended Trevor Pierce motorcycles, which is where it is at the moment. The other places were talking about a 2-3 week wait before they could even look at it.

Anyway, they tried to fix it, and told me the rear brake jamming up and burning out was caused by an oil leak due to a faulty seal, which they fixed. But when I got my scooter back last Saturday and took if for a spin, the same thing happened again. So I contacted Trevor Pierce motorcycles, who came and picked up my scooter on Monday, but they still haven't had a chance to look at it. If they can't find and fix the problem this time around, I think I'll have to take it somewhere else, which is why I was asking for recommendations. I figure word of mouth is more valuable than any amount of ads in the Yellow Pages. :)

I am wondering if the problem could be the brake cable itself, as it is kinda just dangling around under there and could easily catch on something. Guess I'll have to wait for the verdict from Trevor Pierce for the time being though.

msm
1st July 2006, 14:17
Got the scooter back again, part of the problem is fixed, they removed a broken seal that was catching in the back wheel that was apparently completely unnecessary and not standard on any Aprio model. None of their other Yamaha scooters had it. They hadn't fixed the cable routing but we did that ourselves as it wasn't a big thing. Thought that fixing cable + wonky seal would fix the problem, but the rear brake is still locking up though not to the same extent. It also gives off an unpleasant smell when this happens. It smells both metallic and like burning rubber.

It only seems to happen when I go over a big bump, but I can never replicate the problem. We thought it might have been the suspension bottoming out, but again neither myself nor thehollowmen can replicate the issue.