PDA

View Full Version : Fork me.

The Pastor
24th June 2006, 19:58
I am in need of some new forks. To suit a gpz1000rx 1985/86. Bike weighs 260kg so i will need some hefty forks....

anything considerd,

Other parts im after (but in no hurry to get)

brake discs.
brake caiplers. - big ones.
braided hoses.
Some streetfighterish bars.

Cheers

RM

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 19:59
Bike weighs 260kg

Rider weighs slightly more.

The Pastor
24th June 2006, 20:36
Rider weighs slightly more.

IS that with or without your missus underneath?

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 20:42
IS that with or without your missus underneath?

Nah, you twat. That's my ex and she said you owe her $200 for that hour.

Even though it was only 2 mins work!!

Madness
24th June 2006, 21:22
Wouldn't you be better off just replacing the internals in yer old shocks?

Hey Dover... She only charged me $20 for 20.......:blip:

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 21:32
Yeah, it's ten bucks per inch.

The Pastor
24th June 2006, 22:50
Wouldn't you be better off just replacing the internals in yer old shocks?

no 10 chars

imdying
25th June 2006, 01:01
Or buying the rest of a busa with the forks? Or a ZZR1100?

The_Dover
25th June 2006, 01:30
Or how about just buying a suzuki and putting the shit heap kumandsukme in the harbour where it belongs?

The Pastor
25th June 2006, 10:15
Im just asking if anyone has some spare forks they want to sell.... I know what my options are....

The Pastor
26th June 2006, 09:23
Just had a chat with the boys at spectrum, They said putting on differnt forks would be too hard / expensive? Has anyone done this mod? (I thought it was a fairly standerd mod...)

greenman
26th June 2006, 09:39
There is a set on trademe.
I've put a ZX10 ('90) front end on a GPZ900 and it made a huge improvement, and you get to use 17" tyres, as 16" are getting hard to fine nowadays

The Pastor
26th June 2006, 09:42
What about the weight differance of the bike? Mine weighs 260kg.... and by front end you mean the wheel discs and brakes and headlight... or just the forks?

R6_kid
26th June 2006, 23:37
the only thing you need to know to keep it cheap-ish is what bikes use the same set of steering head bearings. Once you know that little fact you will know exactly what you're options are. For instance i know that if you wanted you could put a GSXR1100 front end on to an FXR, as pointless as it is, but they use the same bearings so it (potentially) is an easy swap.

Your only other options is to find a set of forks to suit (weight wise), and then find that model bike so an engineer can measure up the steering head stock(?) so that your's can be machined to fit the suitable bearing and fork combo.

As mentioned, get your front end serviced, change the oil (maybe to heavier/lighter weight) and also talk to a suspension guy (bungy at cycletreads is a start) and see if you can get some better springs.

What you really need to tell us is why you want to make the change? Better stopping? Better handling, less travel in the forks? A lot of this can be solved by doing things much cheaper than changing a whole front end over, as i guess you have no experience with a computer controlled milling machine or any of the other gear needed to ge it to all fit together.

The Pastor
27th June 2006, 13:57
Yeah, im getting new seals today. One of the main reasons I want forks with out air in them or anti dive valves... being 21 years old there starting to get a tad old.. but yeah mainly for the increase in better stopping, mine dont seem to hold the bike down at all. Might have a roll up to cycle threads (that store is awesome because you can ride into it:love: ) today see what happeds,