PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cap too Tight

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:06
HELP!!!!! :gob:

I have a Hyosung GT250R that has done 5000kms and I need to top up the oil:whocares: ...

BUT the cap is done up Tight .... Real Tight I have had both thumbs with full force trying to undo but to no avail... Apart from ripping the skin open on one of the thumbs as a small part of the lip broke!

Would really like some advice so that I dont end up with a cap that is impossible to get off ...

please please please help me!

GSXRjohn
24th June 2006, 21:09
Hammer and wood shock it

WINJA
24th June 2006, 21:11
8 inch crescent , make sure your turning it anti clockwise

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 21:12
You're clearly a pussy.

Go to the gym and try again later.

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:14
I had this problem with mine.

As WINJA said, use a cresent, but a piece of advice, place e cloth in between to prevent the cap from denting/being scratched. The paint on those things is really cheap and comes off easily.

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:16
You're clearly a pussy.

Go to the gym and try again later.

There is always one.... :shutup:

Hmmm 6ft tall and built like brick shit house dont need gym need help!

Tried the cresent and the lip broke.. and other suggestions also tried the shock treatment with hammer to no avail...

Maybe I am a pussy:blah:

paturoa
24th June 2006, 21:17
5000ks should give it an oil &filter change, not a top up.

merv
24th June 2006, 21:18
What sort of cap has it got on it?

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:18
The lip broke? Are you referring to the piece which you use to tighten/loosen the cap?

If that is broken best to give up while the engine still runs and take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

WINJA
24th June 2006, 21:19
There is always one.... :shutup:

Hmmm 6ft tall and built like brick shit house dont need gym need help!

Tried the cresent and the lip broke.. and other suggestions also tried the shock treatment with hammer to no avail...

Maybe I am a pussy:blah:
COLD CHISEL AND A HAMMER MAY BE YOUR ONLY OPTION IF THE LIP IS BROKEN, KOREAN SHIT

crashe
24th June 2006, 21:21
You are in Henderson... pop into Henderson Motorcycles on View Rd, Henderson on Monday. Chat to Adam the owner or Toby the mechanic. They will be able to help you and they are good guys.

WINJA
24th June 2006, 21:21
make sure its a blunt cold chisel or use key steel

paturoa
24th June 2006, 21:22
have u tried anti-clockwise?

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:23
The lip broke? Are you referring to the piece which you use to tighten/loosen the cap?.

Thats the piece about half gone... Must be cheap metal:angry:

If that is broken best to give up while the engine still runs and take it to someone who knows what they are doing.

Thats what the sensible thing would be but I believe that MT Eden M.Cycles isn't open on sundays? and work blah blah if no one has a great idea will have too but till then there is always hope!

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:24
It's pretty fucken hard to break the lip off.

I'd get a drill, make a 3 - 5 mm dip into the plug and then get a flat-head screw driver and bash it on an angle to loosen it.

COLD CHISEL AND A HAMMER MAY BE YOUR ONLY OPTION IF THE LIP IS BROKEN, KOREAN SHIT

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:26
Not that brave but thanks Swanny...

Looks like I might be off to Henderson Motorcycles on Monday unless someknows a good mechanic that is open on Sunday

WINJA
24th June 2006, 21:26
It's pretty fucken hard to break the lip off.

I'd get a drill, make a 3 - 5 mm dip into the plug and then get a flat-head screw driver and bash it on an angle to loosen it.
DONT TELL HIM TO DRILL IT , IF HE GOES THRU HE'LL GET METAL IN THE OIL , BLUNT COLD CHISEL WILL MAKE ITS OWN GROOVE

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:28
5000ks should give it an oil &filter change, not a top up.

Nope got another thousand kms to go.... did the one thousand service

have u tried anti-clockwise?.

Lefty loosey Righty tighty

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 21:31

And up the bum no babies?

I thought that those korean farm bikes were diesel and disposable anyway?

You're a bit of a short arse aren't you?

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:31
5,000km oil changes? Fark that, these are cheaply made engines! 4,000km for me, or less.

My girlfriend has the cruiser version which has the same engine as the GT 250's, her engine purrs quietly, while with mine its always had a loud cam chain like rattle.

CycleTreads are open on Sundays and might be able to help you out.

Nope got another thousand kms to go.... did the one thousand service

3 - 5 mm of drilling is fine, these plugs are quite thick and are really shit. The seals on them seem to be really good though cos they're a cunt to undo.

Good point about the chisel. A toothpick would probably make a big enough dent now I think about it.

DONT TELL HIM TO DRILL IT , IF HE GOES THRU HE'LL GET METAL IN THE OIL , BLUNT COLD CHISEL WILL MAKE ITS OWN GROOVE

The_Dover
24th June 2006, 21:35
That's not the cam chain rattling, it's the shock bottoming out.

paturoa
24th June 2006, 21:35
I'm with the crescent brigade with cloth - though I spose u don't care about scratches any more.

Don't use a tiny one get the biggest u can find so that it goes right across.

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:38
CycleTreads are open on Sundays and might be able to help you out.

Where are they?

Hmm still not keen to take a chisel to my toy ............ I am completely new to the Biker world and Loving the warm welcome especially from you "Dover" hmmm wonder if that is BEN :nya:

Thanks everyone else for the help... Really looking forward to getting this sorted!

Swanny seem as you are knowledgable about hyosungs with the baffles taken out of the exhaust should it back fire when engine breaking?

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:39
Don't be a dick and hijack a legitimate thread.

... it only bottoms out in corners.

That's not the cam chain rattling, it's the shock bottoming out.

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:43
http://www.cycletreads.co.nz/content/welcome.aspx

Where are they?

Yes it does back fire.

I've been told several reasons for this, the most common being that the exhuast is de-baffled and the carb's are left stock. They apparently need to be tweaked to prevent the back fire.

Although there are a few other theories floating around.

Browse through the shit on this forum http://www.korider.com/

Swanny seem as you are knowledgable about hyosungs with the baffles taken out of the exhaust should it back fire when engine breaking?

To me having the baffles taken out is a waste of time.
Sounds like a farm bike to me afterwards and I don't really like noisey bikes.

If you want a good note from your exhuast get a two brothers fitted. The best sounding I've heard so far. Don't know the specifics.

The Joka
24th June 2006, 21:51
Thanks for all your help....

Will be paying a visit to Takapuna tomorrow will let them know you referred me might get you some kudos next time you visit?

Will let everyone know how they get it off for me... Just for closure!

I know that The Dover will be the most interested! :yawn:

SwanTiger
24th June 2006, 21:53
Haha.

They seem to be a good bunch there, got a new rear tyre for my bike a few weeks ago for $50 and $10 to fit. Brilliant fast service.

Will be paying a visit to Takapuna tomorrow will let them know you referred me might get you some kudos next time you visit?

WINJA
24th June 2006, 22:02
pm frosty he'll tap it off for you , hes a westy

The Joka
26th June 2006, 18:44
Thanks all..........

Hammer and chisel worked at Mt Eden Motorcycles today!

Hellraiser
26th June 2006, 19:18
I've been telling you for years Joka (along with the girls) that your tool is too SMALL ...................... :motu:

paturoa
26th June 2006, 19:46
I've been telling you for years Joka (along with the girls) that your tool is too SMALL ...................... :motu:

so u hit yours with a hammer to make it bigger????