PDA

View Full Version : Rimutaka Hill

Korea
25th June 2006, 17:31
Long unridden, but not forgotten, Rimutaka hill.

Bored today~ the monsoon rains are starting and I've little desire to ride in torrential downpours.

What to do? Quick squiz on GoogleEarth turned up a few favourite haunts, so I put together a collage of screenshots of the Rimutaka hill.

Yeah, THAT kind of bored. :wait:

The first file is quite big (800kb 1600x1500 pixels) showing most of both sides, the second is just a cut-out (800x600) of the summit from my hi-res composition (about 5meg, 5000x5000, and very detailed if anyone's interested).

I think I can see some bikes at the summit :sunny:

Should be back in Welly around December so I hope a few KBers would be keen to show me around 'The Hill' again early next year.

Looking forward to it!

Madness
25th June 2006, 17:34
Having just been up there 2 hours ago, it is everything you remember. So much fun in such a short distance. The summit carpark is often (on a good day) like a KiwiBiker Rally.

Look forward to seeing you up there soon......

Clivoris
25th June 2006, 17:49
Couldn't get up there myself today. Doing the solo-dad thing while my wife is swanning around the North Island. Hankering for a ride after a week of flu and all the proper weather we've bin havn'. It does mean I have a leave pass up my sleeve now though.:doobey:

Uncle B
25th June 2006, 18:36
LOVE THAT HILL :blip:

Korea
25th June 2006, 18:46
Having just been up there 2 hours ago, it is everything you remember. So much fun in such a short distance. The summit carpark is often (on a good day) like a KiwiBiker Rally.

Look forward to seeing you up there soon......
Definitely~ That hill is looking sooo good right about now.

I'll be selling the 600RR before I leave, so I'll need a suitable weapon when I return.

Which other KBers are based in the Wellington / Wairarapa area?

MattRSK
25th June 2006, 18:50
Brilliant now I can see why it scared the shit out of me the first time I rode that. Thanks :rockon:

Madness
25th June 2006, 19:33
Which other KBers are based in the Wellington / Wairarapa area?

There's too many to name. Just get over here & we'll see you at the summit.

Mmmmmm, Roast Pork. Gotta go.

MD
25th June 2006, 20:52
The google-earth pics of the Rimutaka area must be about a year old going by the roadworks from Te Marua to Kiatoke. Looks cool from above with the old road still in play but they have done all the hill cuttings in prep. for sealing , so you can see where it twists and curves and where it's about to become all straight!
Um, see if I can attach a picture later.

madmal64
25th June 2006, 21:07
Man Im looking forward to scrubbing in my new pilot powers sometime during the week over the hill & back.
Hope the weather holds out & the grit trucks havent messed it up too much.
Seems like for ever since Ive headed out for a decent ride.

Madness
25th June 2006, 21:41
Hope the weather holds out & the grit trucks havent messed it up too much.

Although there were Ice/Grit signs out today there was bugger all grit to be seen. It was heaps worse a few months ago during the pea-gravel spreading exercise (roadworks). Just the usual potholes & ruts, not much thats new.

Korea
26th June 2006, 02:46
The google-earth pics of the Rimutaka area must be about a year old going by the roadworks from Te Marua to Kiatoke. Looks cool from above with the old road still in play but they have done all the hill cuttings in prep. for sealing , so you can see where it twists and curves and where it's about to become all straight!
Um, see if I can attach a picture later.
I haven't been over there in a couple of years so I guess the kaitoke bit is all straight and boring now. Damn shame... :oi-grr:
Still, good to see that there are plenty of curves further up :yes:

James Deuce
26th June 2006, 06:32
I haven't been over there in a couple of years so I guess the kaitoke bit is all straight and boring now. Damn shame... :oi-grr:
Still, good to see that there are plenty of curves further up :yes:

No, it's full of 180-240km/hr sweepers now. Depends on your perspective.

slowpoke
26th June 2006, 13:39
Crap weather or not, that's just not fair!!!
I can't even see/hear a bike from where I'm sitting and won't for another ten days or so, you teasing mongrel!!
Somehow an unmuffled Sikorsky Super Puma just doesn't cut it up against a termi-equipped duke or akropovic-canned jappa. Of course if my name happens to be on the passenger manifest it's a whole 'nother story, 'cos when THAT chopper comes it it's one sweet soundin' "kerosene budgie"!
Thanks for the pix, catch you all up there next time I'm home.

sAsLEX
26th June 2006, 13:55
akropovic-canned jappa.

What about an akra on a Triumph or KTM Duke?!?

Wasp
26th June 2006, 14:23
heh yea, i was looking at the new higher res pics of around here the other day and thought it'd be cool to do a photo of the takas, i guess you beat me to it...

ahhh well now i dont have to do it! :)

slowpoke
26th June 2006, 14:49
What about an akra on a Triumph or KTM Duke?!?

Cut it out!! I'm surrounded by blokes and it is SERIOUSLY uncool to walk into the lunch room with an erection!

sAsLEX
26th June 2006, 14:56
Cut it out!! I'm surrounded by blokes and it is SERIOUSLY uncool to walk into the lunch room with an erection!

you out on a rig or something?!

slowpoke
26th June 2006, 15:38
you out on a rig or something?!

Yup, 10 days to go.....but who's counting right?

madboy
26th June 2006, 17:33
No, it's full of 180-240km/hr sweepers now. Depends on your perspective.240k sweepers? I have new found respect for you Mr Jim2.

Goblin
26th June 2006, 17:39
*Puts on the "To Do" list:yes:

sAsLEX
26th June 2006, 17:42
240k sweepers? I have new found respect for you Mr Jim2.

The CBR and the RC30 have the same nominal top speed. We used to ride this road in a way that meant we wheelied off every rise in the road, our sausage beasts roaring and red-eyed, air appearing under both wheels sometimes. Mark V Cortinas in black and white, just stared malevolently from laybys as we distorted time and made the air swirl in our wake. No point risking a broken cam belt to catch two sausage beasts who could go any direction, including the way they'd just been.

MY RC30. 140km/hr in 1st, 265km/hr (radar measured) top speed. 1:16s at Manfield absolutely stock. Comfortable as in all day comfortable too. Knee down, undercarriage dragging, stable as a granite plinth cornering weapon.

The reason I bring up the picture is because the third power pole off in the distance used to be a wooden one, and it used to have a hell of a lean on it. It used to be my braking marker in the olden days (yes I know, nearly as stupid as using the guy in the red jacket in the stands for a braking marker at a Central Districts club meeting on my VFR400) and it was quite important to heed the warning because the road ends in a "T" junction. 15 years ago I comfortably led to the finish line, err, "T" junction, turned the bike off and waited for AJ. It then occurred to me that as he wasn’t native to the area, he may not know about the "T" junction. He left the biggest freaking front wheel darkie I’ve ever seen. He also stopped alongside me at the "T" junction. At the velocity he was travelling I have no idea how he did that. I would have sailed through the big black and white sign with the reflective arrows pointing at 90 degrees to the current direction of travel, and ended up in pieces in the paddock on the other side. I also found out how reflexive the "punch the bastard who nearly killed me in the head" impulse is. Good thing I had a helmet on. After he calmed down we walked back around the corner, and he had stopped in about 70 metres, reacting to the dead end ahead as soon as it came into view. Oddly the near misses did nothing to calm us down. The second picture sticks in my mind because it was the first corner on which I got my knee down. I wasn’t trying to get my knee down either, but AJ was leading and there was no way he was getting to Martinborough last. That corner is bit technical. The road camber is flat on entry and goes negative part way through and is followed by an uphill left. There’s a wire netting fence about 20 feet tall right next to the road and nowhere to go if it goes wrong. Talk about testosterone fuelled heroics. I’m always surprised now by how short that corner feels, but that day it seemed to last for ever and ever as we heeled in at lightspeed and my knee and peg touched at the same time.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18703&d=1130282426

. .

James Deuce
26th June 2006, 18:00
240k sweepers? I have new found respect for you Mr Jim2.

MAybe Uncle B and Dafe - I'm "sane" now. In a manner of speaking.

diggydog
26th June 2006, 18:19
when i lived in welly i use to ride every week, never realised how winedy with those shots- orsam!!!

riffer
26th June 2006, 20:24
aaaaaa ... the hill...:love:

Dafe
26th June 2006, 20:33
Looking at that, gives me an itch!

Wasp
26th June 2006, 20:44
quick go ride it while nobodies waatching :blip:

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:17
Looking at that, gives me an itch!
That would be sand in your g-string.

Dafe
26th June 2006, 22:26
You seemed obsessed Uncle B, all you been talking about lately is guys underwear..... Whats up???

We're in the age of Political correctness now, we won't flog you if you reveal your true feelings! :Pokey:

NC
26th June 2006, 22:42
You seemed obsessed Uncle B, all you been talking about lately is guys underwear..... Whats up???

We're in the age of Political correctness now, we won't flog you if you reveal your true feelings! :Pokey:
You'd so be the bitch in the relationship :killingme

Sorry sorry sorry

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:43

Hardy Har Har....
It's not me that's obsessed....it's your 'friend' Pete that's obsessed with what you wear.

I'm a good Kiwi bloke. Like my Beer, Ruby, motorbikes and pink tights :blip:

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:45

Sorry sorry sorry

:gob: :sick:

NC
26th June 2006, 22:46
:gob: :sick:
:killingme

Sorry sorry sorry

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:47

Sorry sorry sorry

:gob: :puke:

Madness
26th June 2006, 22:49
Pink tights by Alpinestars eh?? You Gixxer riders are a worry.

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:50
I see NC is again lurking around waiting for that perfect time to strike apon unsuspecting upstanding KBrs

Well done miss moffat :nya:

Is it still cold? Are you running a generator?

Uncle B
26th June 2006, 22:54
Gixxers are a worry.
That is true :blah:

NC
26th June 2006, 23:25
I see NC is again lurking around waiting for that perfect time to strike apon unsuspecting upstanding KBrs

Well done miss moffat :nya:

Is it still cold? Are you running a generator?
:D Yeah

Narh, thank gawd... Dude its warmer than wellington, and there is more damn sun too :p

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 10:37
Low blow brother

Dafe
27th June 2006, 11:21
What are you going on about Uncle B? What drugs you using now?

Since when was NC a brother?

NC
27th June 2006, 11:24
Low blow brother
Bruce, you're too easy!

Str8 Jacket
27th June 2006, 11:25
:gob: SO!

Who's easy and who's blowing who around here?...

Dafe
27th June 2006, 11:26
Yeah Bruce, The chick reakons you're too easy!!! :gob:

You know what they say......

The sleazier the easier!:rofl:

NC
27th June 2006, 11:27
:gob: SO!

Who's easy and who's blowing who around here?...
I dunno but the sexual connotations are flying about!

Fatjim
27th June 2006, 11:28
Mate, she's far too good a woman for you!

Str8 Jacket
27th June 2006, 11:28
I dunno but the sexual connotations are flying about!

Must be the cold weather. Makes people do crazy things!

NC
27th June 2006, 11:30
Must be the cold weather. Makes people do crazy things!
Yeah I think it's the weather :shutup:

PISS! ARSE!

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 11:31
How come the last page of utter shit hasn;t ended up in PD yet? How does it relate to the aerial photos of the Rimutaka hill road?

NC
27th June 2006, 11:31
Mate, she's far too good a woman for you!
Who?

mycatsbreathsmellslikecatfood

NC
27th June 2006, 11:32
Oh it's Jen we are talking about!:yes:

NC
27th June 2006, 11:33
How come the last page of utter shit hasn;t ended up in PD yet? How does it relate to the aerial photos of the Rimutaka hill road?
Because .....
LOL um it's Hels! *points*

PISS!!!

Str8 Jacket
27th June 2006, 11:35
Because .....
LOL um it's Hels! *points*

PISS!!!

Hey im just visiting.... Now that the visiting hours are over in the Physch Ward I best be leaving!!

*breaks into tourette-tick outburst*

slowpoke
27th June 2006, 12:04
No, it's full of 180-240km/hr sweepers now. Depends on your perspective.

RC30 or not, that's not hangin' about!! I'd like to say I'll get outta the way but I don't think I'll have time...

(That's a SERIOUSLY nice bike by the way, lucky bugga)

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 12:14
What are you going on about Uncle B? What drugs you using now?
Stop messing with me and changing your posts

The Pastor
27th June 2006, 14:16
I cant get over why I havent been to Rimutaka hill yet... WHY WHY WHY.

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 14:22
It's not that great. The surface is crap, there's heaps of TRAFFIC< AND YOU ALWAYS RUN THE RISK OF FINDING COWPOOS WITH HIS HEAD WEDGED IN THE ARMCO SOMEWHERE BECAUSE HE TRIED TO KEEP UP WITH MIKEY

Str8 Jacket
27th June 2006, 14:26
Jims right, the hill sucks. I'd stay well away form it if I were you!

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 15:12
The Hill is great
I just wish it was longer.

Str8 Jacket
27th June 2006, 15:20
The Hill is great

NO NO! We dont need anymore traffic on OUR hill... we also dont want to encourage those Orks to come down! :nya:

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 15:23
Thanks Hels. I didn't want to have to explain to Uncle B.

Such a disappointment sometimes, that boy.

slowpoke
27th June 2006, 16:08
...FINDING COWPOOS WITH HIS HEAD WEDGED IN THE ARMCO SOMEWHERE BECAUSE HE TRIED TO KEEP UP WITH MIKEY

Now there's an image to hold on to.....and it would be an especially poignant moment if the Gay Bikers Association were the first crew on the scene......

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 17:19
Thanks Hels. I didn't want to have to explain to Uncle B.

Such a disappointment sometimes, that boy.
Starting to have bad feelings about you.

This thread was nicely going way off line till you poked your nose in...tisk tisk.

And yes the hill needs to be twice as long on both sides.........who's ridden the Taka hill?........now that's primo.

Madness
27th June 2006, 17:46
who's ridden the Taka hill?........now that's primo.

You mean Takaka? Down Nelson way?

I haven't. Rode to Nelson once though for an ice-cream. What's the name of the hill before Nelson from Picton?

SPman
27th June 2006, 17:49
The Hill is great

Yeah - wish it stretched over here...........:blip:

Uncle B
27th June 2006, 17:50
You mean Takaka? Down Nelson way?

I haven't. Rode to Nelson once though for an ice-cream. What's the name of the hill before Nelson from Picton?
ooppss sorry spelly mistake....yes the takaka hill heading over to Golden Bay.....thanks Maxi

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 17:57
I've done Takaka - in the depths of winter with ice on the verges and 6 inches of grit on the road. Was starting to wish I had a BMW GS650 instead of the TRX I was riding.

Slingshot
27th June 2006, 19:17
And yes the hill needs to be twice as long on both sides

It's as long as you choose to make it...just keep turning around and doing it over.

roogazza
27th June 2006, 19:58
Looking good for tomorrow !! what a bastard I'm retired , I'll have to go Greytown for breakfast !!! G. :yes: :yes: