PDA

View Full Version : Finally took the XT off road

Wolf
25th June 2006, 21:38
Well, the weather here this weekend was awesome.

So much so that yesterday (Saturday) we took the bike down to the local off road track - nothing serious, just an oval track in a paddock with a big pile of dirt in the middle. The track is churned-up mud (fairly firm mud, not liquid) with a few small bumps - not a great challenge by any means.

So, off I go - slowly as I don't know the track and I've never taken the XT off-road before.

First thing I'll say is that Carver was right - the MT90's are utter shit on mud.

The next thing I'll say is that I was utter shit as well. It has been over twenty years since I last mucked about off-road - on my old TS125 with semi-knobbly tyres on packed dry dirt and a bit of gravel - so I found the track too much for me.

The back of the bike was slipping from side to side in the soft earth and I found it difficult going. I cornered like a squid and tried opening it up on the straight in the hopes that a bit of speed might stabilise it but only made it worse.

I managed to keep it upright and came to a halt and then cut back across the field on the dry grass-covered area - which, although it was rutted and overgrown, was firm and easier going than the track.

I think I need a lot more practise off road and some decent knobblies before I try that track again.

To cap it all off, I was heading back to the gate to leave with my three-year-old on the tank so I was taking it slow and the front wheel hit a rut and I dropped the bike. Three-year-old unharmed but a bit freaked out. Bike likewise undamaged.

Deciding that the track was not a good place for strayjuliet to practise riding, we headed out of town to Ngaruawahia to borrow her father's back yard so I finally got to try out the XT225 on the open road.

We spent a bit of time riding around on the dad-in-law's "lawn", flattening out the grass and finding where all the holes and ruts were. Strayjuliet took the bike for a practise ride around the lawn a few times.

I took the boys for a couple of rides around the yard - the three-year-old is a die-hard biker and insisted on having his turn, not put off by the earlier fall - then put Nessie (4 months old) in the kiddy-carry (front pack) and took her for her first ever motorbike ride. She seemed to enjoy it.

It ran well, hit and maintained 100km/h with no problem and still had a bit of movement left in the throttle. It handled well on the open road and took the corners on River Road with no problems.

Coming home we took a winding path through the streets that enabled me to flick it around the sharp corners - it's so nice to have a bike that actually manoeuvres...

... quite a change from the LS400 "Savage".

I've now racked up around 170km on the bike since I got it - most of that commuting quietly to and from work - it was really good to finally have a day with decent weather to go out and ride it just for the sheer fun of it.

Had to go out and about again today so I took the bike and had fun blatting around town, deliberately taking the more interesting streets with the most corners - on the way home I actually went out of my way to get to a tight S-bend so I could have fun flicking the bike from side to side.

far queue
25th June 2006, 22:43
Well done :2thumbsup keep it up, you'll be out adventuring in the back country in no time.

Wolf
25th June 2006, 22:47
Well done :2thumbsup keep it up, you'll be out adventuring in the back country in no time.
Providing there's no mud or clay :devil2:

[Edit] Where's a "chicken shit" smiley when you need one...

merv
25th June 2006, 23:03
Yeah great bikes and you will find it more and more fun as you get experienced with it. Here's Mrs merv on her 2006 - they call them XT250's now but they are still the 225. She doesn't do hard out dirt on hers but does dirt roads as you can see in the pic. Anyone recognise where?

Wolf
25th June 2006, 23:15
they call them XT250's now but they are still the 225.
When I got it registered the LTSA listed it as an XT250R even though it has a 223cc engine - they've obviously never heard of Yamaha's designation for it and rounded it up to the nearest common engine rating.

I'm certainly enjoying the way it handles on the road and it was great blatting across the uneven but firm terrain (I wasn't game to try taking it up the over-grown pile of dirt in the middle of the paddock, though.)

inlinefour
26th June 2006, 01:30
Hey Wolf, if your ever down these ways on my days off I have a good ride through the back roads of Taranaki, ending out in Wangamomina(sp). I started off with some great knobbies on the DRZ and replaced the rear with a more road orientated tyre. I found the bike was more fun with the knobby as it slid nicely on the road and stuck to the muck much better offroad. Once I can afford it I think I'll be replacing the rear with another knobby, despite the fact that it never seams to last very long. Good to hear your having a ball on your TT. I had the TT350f, before someone decided they wanted it more than what I did.

Lias
26th June 2006, 09:22
Where's a "chicken shit" smiley when you need one...

We need a derogatory term like "fairweather rider" for you that relates to your off-road usage :-)

Wolf
26th June 2006, 09:56
We need a derogatory term like "fairweather rider" for you that relates to your off-road usage :-)
I think the word you're looking for is "wannabe".

Gotta get practised up or I'll be no different from all those lamers in Remers with their 4x4s that haven't even been parked on their elegantly cultured lawns, let alone really taken off-road.

SDU
26th June 2006, 14:15
Yay! so you got to play in the dirt.
Sounds like you're loving the flickability off the bike. With some good DOT dirt tyres you'll be able to slide around those corners and on the dirt you'll be away laughing.
Glad it went well for you on the open road.

SDU
26th June 2006, 14:18
Yeah great bikes and you will find it more and more fun as you get experienced with it. Here's Mrs merv on her 2006 - they call them XT250's now but they are still the 225. She doesn't do hard out dirt on hers but does dirt roads as you can see in the pic. Anyone recognise where?

Hey nice pic off Mrs Merv, Merv.

Reminds Wolf have you got those pics off your bike yet / have I missed that post?

Wolf
26th June 2006, 16:01
Reminds Wolf have you got those pics off your bike yet / have I missed that post?
Nope, I've still been remiss. I'll be uploading them to my web site once I take them.

Tried looking at your Serow pic on the xt225 but the link doesn't work. Pity, because I wanted to see if there were any similarities with my bike that might suggest factory-made variations for the NZ market - there are a fair few differences between my machine and those in the US.

SDU
26th June 2006, 20:09
Didn't realise some off the pics were gone, here's an older pic (It still had most off its stickers) of my 1993 Serow225.
It is a Jap import & different to the NZ & US models. It has a rear disc & adjustable shock - dampening & rebound from factory. The usual mods were done: Barkbusters, Protapers, carb mods, cut front fender(since pic).
:wait: for your pic.

Wolf
26th June 2006, 21:28
Looks good, SDU. Would love a rear disc brake. If I managed to make the requisite modifications, I'd have to get the bike recomplianced, which would add to the cost.

sels1
27th June 2006, 20:25
Good stuff Wolf, fun isnt it? There are times I regret selling my old XT400. I am considering (or is that trying to justify the $?) getting another trailbike around that size - something the friends and family can have a go on as well as a toy/runabout for me.

merv
27th June 2006, 20:51
As for the name it is Yamaha that's calling them XT250 http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/motor/prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=144&modelcatid=3

Land Transport NZ just registers them as what the importer says. Ours is called XT250V being a later model than the R I guess.

XTC
28th June 2006, 12:37
Claire on her borrowed XT250 on the recent Mmmm adventure ride. The bike did the whole 700+ km ride with no problems and kept the pace with the rest of us on bigger machines. Impressive little bike even on the open bits.

Wolf
28th June 2006, 14:30
As for the name it is Yamaha that's calling them XT250 http://www.yamaha-motor.co.nz/motor/prod_detail.asp?MD_ID=144&modelcatid=3

Land Transport NZ just registers them as what the importer says. Ours is called XT250V being a later model than the R I guess.
And you go to Yamaha-motor.com to locate parts and it's an XT225, no listing for XT250 - nothing like a bit of consistency, eh?

Nothing at all...

Wolf
28th June 2006, 14:47
The bike did the whole 700+ km ride with no problems and kept the pace with the rest of us on bigger machines.
Often heard that on the XT225 forum. Some riders have noted they can go places where larger and heavier machines can't go (that being said, a decent off-road rider could have taken my old RX125 commuter bike places where a BMW F650GS Dakar can't go...)

It does 100km/h with no problem, it can (anecdotally) go faster than that for long periods of time, it's agile and light - suits me fine.

I'm looking forward to "getting in the zone" with that bike, getting to know it well enough that I no longer have to think about anything except where I'm going and what hazards I have to negotiate to get there - then all the stops will be off. At the mo' I'm still having to think about some aspects of riding the bike - not even 200km on it since I got it, I can't expect miracles but I do note it seems to have a shallower "learning curve" than other bikes I've had, more intuitive, feels more "right" to me. I'm adapting to it faster than I adapted to the LS400 and already the bike is capable of more than the LS was - manoeuvring-wise. Doesn't stop quite as well as the LS, though, I'll have to take the rear wheel off and have a look at the brakes as it seems to be lacking in that area (front disc brake is fine).

Did Claire find the seat comfortable enough on the 700+ km ride? Some have commented that the seat is "uncomfortable" over a decent distance.

merv
28th June 2006, 18:04
You mention brakes, I find with Mrs merv's it has the most gutless brakes of any of our dirt bikes but I guess its still adequate. The front disc just doesn't bite like the others. The WR has the most powerful brakes with pretty vicious engine braking as well - it can skid the back wheel on seal just by backing off the throttle in low gears, the Honda XR250 is next best and then the DR650 with the XT a distant last, plus its the only one with a drum rear which is OK except that means not so good wet.

Wolf
28th June 2006, 22:56
You mention brakes, I find with Mrs merv's it has the most gutless brakes of any of our dirt bikes but I guess its still adequate. The front disc just doesn't bite like the others. The WR has the most powerful brakes with pretty vicious engine braking as well - it can skid the back wheel on seal just by backing off the throttle in low gears, the Honda XR250 is next best and then the DR650 with the XT a distant last, plus its the only one with a drum rear which is OK except that means not so good wet.
The engine seems to slow it down quite well - though not as dramatically as you describe, I've never skidded the wheel by throttling off. The front disc stops me quite well but I don't seem to get a lot of action out of the rear drum - it scarcely seems to be slowing it if I apply it alone, let alone causing it to skid the rear wheel.

The LS400 had single disc at the front and drum at the rear and yet it stopped quite abruptly when it had to. I don't think the XT as it is at the moment would quite have that stopping ability (maybe never will have with its narrow tyres compared with the LS) and I think it could be improved.

SDU
1st July 2006, 16:24
The rear drums can always be upgraded to disks. The jap market Serows get disks as standard.

Good on Claire that ride would have tested her Butt out, even with lots off standing. :first: (XTC you get her to join the fray off Kiwi biker-or is she here already?)
I find my Serow seat on the open rd is uncomfy, thats partly why I got the DR before going to the Brass Monkey, but then again the DR seat is a brick too.

So when are we gonna get some pics of your bike Wolf, especially ones after you or SJ have got it dirty! :wait: :innocent:

Wolf
1st July 2006, 17:20
OK, Sal

Just to keep you off my back on this forum as well as the other one :p :nya:

Wolf
1st July 2006, 17:24
The rear drums can always be upgraded to disks. The jap market Serows get disks as standard.
AFAIK, if I upgrade the brakes I'm up for the cost of a compliance test on top of whatever the upgrade cost.

far queue
2nd July 2006, 09:04
It's very clean isn't it :yawn: Those tyres will be "interesting" in the mud and even wet grass :doobey:

Once you you get something a bit chunkier on you'll have a ball with it :yes:

Wolf
2nd July 2006, 12:53
Those tyres will be "interesting" in the mud and even wet grass
Read my first post in the thread about how "interesting" they were.

SDU
3rd July 2006, 12:13
Yay :clap: finally, very tidy looking, looks like you got a good bike. No wonder you had fun on the dirt get some knobbies! Its too clean you have to get it dirty!

NB/ If you do get it dirty watch out if you use a water blaster, the stickers (apart from the tank ones.) will wash off.

As for the brakes if you upgrade to a disc & its wof, who'll know. I didn't think you'd need to get them compliance tested.

Hope you & SJ have some awesome fun on it.

Motu
3rd July 2006, 12:33
Bah - for an extra 2cc you can get the DT230....and have double the HP,disc on the rear,fully adjustable suspension....and a 165kph top end.

Wolf
3rd July 2006, 19:57
Bah - for an extra 2cc you can get the DT230....and have double the HP,disc on the rear,fully adjustable suspension....and a 165kph top end.
There were no DT230s to be seen when I was bike hunting - not even available for a test ride, so I don't even know if one would be suitable for strayj.

Wolf
3rd July 2006, 21:37
Yay :clap: finally, very tidy looking, looks like you got a good bike. No wonder you had fun on the dirt get some knobbies! Its too clean you have to get it dirty!
Dirty's not the problem. My main fear is getting it broken - it's my only transport (except the cage which my wife needs to transport the tribe) and I cannot afford to repair damage.

When I was younger and really didn't give a rat's arse about much I was quite happy to (and allowed my mates to) thrash the crap out of the old TS125. If it got damaged it wasn't a big issue. It was an old rat bike and cost me bugger all - I think I got my money's worth out of it within the first 6 months, anything beyond that was a bonus.

The XT, however is only three years old, cost a pretty penny to buy and get road legal and I rely on it to go places and that makes me somewhat circumspect in my handling of it. Especially while I'm still paying for it.

Taking things carefully, getting to know what it is capable of and what I am capable of - gently.

NB/ If you do get it dirty watch out if you use a water blaster, the stickers (apart from the tank ones.) will wash off.
I've already peeled the stickers off the air scoops and have plans to paint the plastics and the tank anyway. The pics don't show the dents and rust on the tank clearly. I've got to at least get rid of the rust and spritz some primer over it. I'm of two minds whether I should get my brother to fill the dents prior to painting or whether I should just clean it, prime it and paint it dents and all.

As for the brakes if you upgrade to a disc & its wof, who'll know.
I'd think that the caliper assembly and brake cylinders being affixed to the swing arm with duct tape might be a bit of a give-away...

That and the No 8 wire and baling twine.

Ruralman
25th July 2006, 16:26

OK Merv seeing as no-one else is having a go at guessing where this photo was taken - on the Molesworth Station Road????

Ruralman
25th July 2006, 16:29
OK, Sal

Just to keep you off my back on this forum as well as the other one :p :nya:
The photos look good Wolf - tell me did you take them on low resolution setting on your camera or did you shrink the file size later? I've got to put a couple of pics on mine as well. Ta

Wolf
25th July 2006, 16:58
The photos look good Wolf - tell me did you take them on low resolution setting on your camera or did you shrink the file size later? I've got to put a couple of pics on mine as well. Ta
Shrunk the hell outta them with Irfanview (freebie image viewer with limited editing capabilities) - and they still look bloody clear.

Weather permitting, I hope to get even better pics this weekend - out on the road rather than outside a park in Hamilton.

Ruralman
25th July 2006, 21:12
Shrunk the hell outta them with Irfanview (freebie image viewer with limited editing capabilities) - and they still look bloody clear.

Weather permitting, I hope to get even better pics this weekend - out on the road rather than outside a park in Hamilton.

I was wondering whether I should buy a copy of some photo programme 'cos its a bit limiting what you can do with what you get on XP. Did you download that Irfanview thing? Thanks

merv
25th July 2006, 21:40
OK Merv seeing as no-one else is having a go at guessing where this photo was taken - on the Molesworth Station Road????

Its taken a while for someone to guess but sorry not Molesworth but Nevis Road. Closer to home for you and it was a good ride.

merv
25th July 2006, 21:44
I was wondering whether I should buy a copy of some photo programme 'cos its a bit limiting what you can do with what you get on XP. Did you download that Irfanview thing? Thanks

I use Ulead PhotoImpact because I always have and it came with my scanner. XP has Paint as usual and if you have Microsoft Office you have Microsoft Office Picture Manager which is quite useful.

Transalper
25th July 2006, 22:42
I was wondering whether I should buy a copy of some photo programme 'cos its a bit limiting what you can do with what you get on XP. Did you download that Irfanview thing? ThanksHere it is... http://www.irfanview.com/

At a glance it looks ok to me. I might just give it a proper look myself.
Download file is 884kb in size so it's not too big for dialup connections either.