PDA

View Full Version : Big learner bike

forkoil
26th June 2006, 20:44
Just after some suggestions for a big learner bike, being 6'2" is proving a little hard to find something suitable! Cheers.

Mr. Peanut
26th June 2006, 20:45
Have you checked out the Hyosung GT250?

forkoil
26th June 2006, 20:47
Yeah they good size, but wanna save some dosh so can afford decent bike when gone through process legally :) just wondering if there are any others, have seen a honda hornet but that bout same price as the hyosung!

Colapop
26th June 2006, 20:49
I'n 6'4" and 115kg-ish. I found, if we're talking about sport tourers, that both the 'suki GSX250 and Hyosung GT250R are good sized bikes. The Hyosung you can buy for $5 or $6k new (somebody will give you a closer number than that). If you are willing to bear it, you can just get a small bike a ride the crap out of it til you can (legally) go up in size.
2c

forkoil
26th June 2006, 20:51
The hyosung is definately the best fit so far, but are they any good, or just kerean (or whereva) crap??

sAsLEX
26th June 2006, 20:53
I am 6 ft and know of taller that have found the CBR250RR fine.

Colapop
26th June 2006, 20:54
Seek and yee shall find... Ask Skelstar - member here. He just sold his after wracking up some god awful k's on his. As far as I know he's had very few problems (if any) on his. It's become so much a part of the Wgtn KB scene that there is going to be a guard of honour to see it off! Send him a PM he'll give you everything he knows (aye Sean?)

Hellraiser
26th June 2006, 21:03
For us larger people the Hyosung is a good bike the 250 is a little under powered but you can't beat the fuel ecconomy, I'm getting almost 400km out of a tank (cost to fill about $25 for BP's 98).

I also have a 636 which is my dream bike but i have found that i now only use it on weekends, I find the hyosung much better for commuting.

bobsmith
26th June 2006, 22:56
Hey I don't know first hand if the hyosung are good bikes, but I know you can find workshop manual for them!!! (something you should think about when you get a bike perhaps) and also the price is fairly good, a new gt250r (quite impressive looking) is 7300 new and the gt250 (the naked one) is around 6000 new or about 4000-4500 secondhand. Or you could always buy my fxr :)

EDIT - The guy I bougt my fxr off was very very tall (looked like it to me...) couldn't tell you exactly how tall but we're talking tall big guy... He seemed to be ok on the bike.... of course he looked much happier on his 650...

SwanTiger
27th June 2006, 00:40
My suggestion would be the Hyosung GT 250 (naked) motorcycle.

I own the faired GT 250R version and can honestly tell you the extra $1,300 in plastic is a waste of money (other than for the looks). A $100 - $140 dollar screen fitted to the naked model is just as practical/effective and considerably cheaper.

For that exta $1,300 you also get TWIN front disc brakes where the naked a single disc brake, which is suffice.

Maintenace is extremely cheap if you do it yourself and is simple to do. All basic servicing is outlined with instructions in the manual and parts are easy and cheap to source from the distributor / dealer.

It cost me approximately $30 in consumables and 1 - 2 hours in time to do the regular 4,000 km servicing schedule ... less than $0.01 cent per kilometer.

The naked version is appropriately priced too, in my opinion.

Top (pulling) speed is going to be about 140 - 150 kmp/h and cruising speed is around 110 kmp/h (for me, 110 kmp/h is 7,500 rpm with a 10,500 rpm redline).

The_Dover
27th June 2006, 07:54
GT250 or a Honda Magna (if you like the Maurice look).

marty
27th June 2006, 08:28
get an rs250 - i'm 6 2 100kg (or i was when i was FAT) and it fitted me perfect.

SDU
27th June 2006, 12:35
Have you thought about getting a dual sport (trail) bike, they are all just about built for 6ft +people.
Some good value ones around.
Its easy to put high raised bars on some bikes too.

GR81
27th June 2006, 12:48
im 6 2 and 90kg... GSX250 was perfect, nice big tall bike! :)

Colapop
27th June 2006, 13:04
Jeasus!! You fellas must all be skinny as!! 115 - 120kgs on a guy 6'2" - 6'4" aint all that fat....

Wasp
27th June 2006, 13:15
rofl 120kgs? fark im that sorta hieght and im only 75-80 kgs so i guess that makes me anorexic huh cola... guess i'd better go throw up my large mac attack combo that im eating for lunch....

My bandit 250 is about the right size for me i reckon, i dont get cramps or anything anyway.

Cookie
27th June 2006, 13:31
GT250 or a Honda Magna (if you like the Maurice look).

Hey! I ride one and I am a raving heterosexual! :laugh:

Seriously though - the Magnas look bigger than many 250's but they are very low to the ground so you might still feel like you are on a toy.

I'm about 5'10'' so it's fine for me. I just have to deal with all the chicks that try to ravish me at traffic lights!

Squeak the Rat
27th June 2006, 14:40
[Edit:] Post deleted. Dumb arse posted some drivel in the wrong thread. Apologies.

The_Dover
27th June 2006, 14:44
Hey! I ride one and I am a raving heterosexual! :laugh:

Yeah, ok.

Cookie "Smell my finger" Hopoate

Biohazard
27th June 2006, 14:57
Penny Farthing ????

Unforgiven
27th June 2006, 15:09
Im fairly tall and long in the legs and my GSXR250 is ok, just moved the brake pedal down 2 teeth on its spline.

EroSamnin
27th June 2006, 21:00
I bought a Hyosung GT250 naked version a few months ago for $6000+orc new. I'm 6'3" and 75kg and find it pretty dam quick. Plenty of power out of corners and doesnt matter where in the revs I am, just pulls me along sweet as.

Wind isn't bad at speed, just need to tuck in a bit.

I like the big tank, can go for AGES without filling up. I'm getting about 26km per litre at the mo. Riding like my nan for the most part.... ok the least part.

Colapop
27th June 2006, 21:04
Anybody got a tractor for me?? I'm obviously a FAT bastard!!:crybaby:

MidnightMike
27th June 2006, 21:24
I am 6 ft and know of taller that have found the CBR250RR fine.

*cough* What a load dude, sure buy a cbr250rr if you want a screaming little thing up ya arse! Those things are tiny. Go round and try various bikes dude. I agree with the Hyosung comets, they are great bikes for tall people, im 6' 5" and found the comet great but i didnt have the money so got a Suzuki Volty 250. :scooter:

sels1
27th June 2006, 21:34
Have you thought about getting a dual sport (trail) bike, they are all just about built for 6ft +people.

Agree. And having the option to do a bit of off road riding to increase your skill level is a bonus too.

marty
27th June 2006, 21:37
. I'm 6'3" and 75kg and find it pretty dam quick.

careful you don't go snapping those legs....

GR81
27th June 2006, 21:53
Jeasus!! You fellas must all be skinny as!! 115 - 120kgs on a guy 6'2" - 6'4" aint all that fat....
that's why i play on the wing and not at lock :D

Cookie
28th June 2006, 09:10
Yeah, ok.

Cookie "Smell my finger" Hopoate

Let me tell you, that aint where it's been. :rofl:

The Hopoate "connection" is disturbing though so I am going to change it now.

...Maybe to "Don't Smell My Finger".

skelstar
28th June 2006, 09:16
Ive done 20,000kms on one and have had a ball. Happy to answer any particular questions about it if you want to PM me. Theres quite a few threads about on this subject too.

Welcome btw.:niceone:

andrea
29th June 2006, 17:32
Just after some suggestions for a big learner bike, being 6'2" is proving a little hard to find something suitable! Cheers.

hyosung gt250r its a nicer bike than the gsx ahem:yes: , now im f'n regretting that i didnt wait for that hyosung hmm, oh well hmm so you seen that lil ved on cowpoo's hitting his ballsack? oh fark just forgot "welcome to the site

Two Smoker
29th June 2006, 17:59
Just reminded myself... One of my old mans workmates, has a friend that is 7 foot 4 and found the only bike to be comfortable was a Vrod... So he bought one and is now going through the process of getting exemption...

MidnightMike
29th June 2006, 18:07
Just reminded myself... One of my old mans workmates, has a friend that is 7 foot 4 and found the only bike to be comfortable was a Vrod... So he bought one and is now going through the process of getting exemption...

Holy crap, 7 foot 4, and i thought i was tall :gob:

EroSamnin
29th June 2006, 18:46
Holy CRAP thats tall.

Marty, my legs wont snap... unless a bumble bee hits me at 100kmph!

andrea
29th June 2006, 22:03

holly crap yeah that is tall hmm can you guess what else im thinking, whats his shoe size, how big are his hands, does he have short or long hair, maybe a fro, a mallet even, how small is his dick..... i wonder if cowpoo's is interested in a barbequed sausage, nah but serious man is there a bike even big enough for that guy, he'll probably make any bike look like a mini pocket racer

damo
7th September 2006, 10:53
I'm 6ft tall, weigh just under 100kg.

got myself a 2004 VL 250 Intruder as my learners bike

pretty easy ride.. doesn't go very fast...

but thats ok for now... I think if I went over 120kph only 5 weeks after riding a bike with a clutch for the first time, I'd shart myself

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
7th September 2006, 11:21
Did you know you can get an exemption from riding a 250CC bike if you are tall/big - there is a form (of course) you fill out saying why you needed a bigger bike - had a friend that did this and was successful - he rode around on a 750cc on a learners. I will try and see where he got the form from - suggest you visit the transit website www.transit.govt.nz I think or LTSA.govt.nz.

Cheers

toymachine
7th September 2006, 12:44
6"2' and 85kg...

Get a Bandit and don't look back :D

I'm comfortable on it.. even on extended rides.

bell
7th September 2006, 17:28
I'm 6'3" and have just spent the last year on a Kwaka Super Sherpa - dual 250 thing. It was ok for short rides but anything longer than 30mins and I was getting sore in the knees. My advice: don't get one of these!

07fatboy
11th September 2006, 23:01
The hyosung is definately the best fit so far, but are they any good, or just kerean (or whereva) crap??

they look pretty pussey to me mate ...theres a few going around here,I,ve seen a few in the shop second hand with about under 10,000ks and look like they need alot of super glue and felt pretty budget,bit like a pocket bike plasticky...just my thoughts

yob_ymmit
30th September 2006, 02:07
Hi Forkoil

I would fully reccomend a GT250 to you. My 6' 6" mate started riding last year, and found that the GT250 Comet was the only bike that felt the right size for him. And man has he done some km's since! He did a Auckland to Christchurch round trip over 5 days with me after only 3 months riding, with no significant comfort complaints, and then again a 2 day round trip to wellington with me, and similarly, no complaints. So comfort wise it is sweet.

Power wise - a great bike to learn on, but still plenty enough for the open road, and enough to have fun with. My friend managed to keep up (pretty much) with me on both the long rides I mentioned above, and I was on first a Suzuki SV650, and second a Suzuki SV1000s. The riding position is upright, and its easy to reach the ground from the seat, which means you are far less likely to drop the bike by mistake at low speeds (a problem I had embarassingly on my first, a CBR250, mostly because the riding position put me a little to far forward.

Things I have to say are a little negative about the comet:
- The front brake is a little average. Completely functional, and a learner wouldnt notice them, and definately get used to them, but now I'm accustomed to proper brakes on my FZ6, I dont like them much.
- I dont know how reliable the bikes are compared to the established Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha learner bikes. My mates GT250 is only 2 years old, and already its had about 2K worth of warrenty repairs. The chain, sprockets, rear brake cylinder, and starter motor have all carked it and been replaced. I think possibly some of this stuff is due to my friend not maintaining the machine properly, but still...

But you have to admit there are some definate positive things:
- The very best priced learner 250! Get a NEW GT250 for the same price as a 15 year old CBR250!
- A pretty cool engine note for a 250. Although I am definately a fan of the straight four screeeeeeeamers..
- The whole bike looks BIG. Big guys dont look oversized on them. It looks like a bigger than 250 bike. And it actually looks pretty good.
- Great big massive petrol tank. you should get 350 to 400km from it, as oppose to the normally accepted 200km elsewhere. The tank is actually used on the Hyosung GT650cc bike!

MVnut
30th September 2006, 18:49
Try a KTM 250:cool:

forkoil
2nd October 2006, 14:39
Right, just for an update, haven't checked this out for awhile. Scored a second hand GT250R for a right bargain, the dude was moving on to bigger an better things! So far has been awesome bike to learn on, easy to ride and big enough to be very comfortable, bit lacking in power, but has very smooth power which is great for learners. and..... looks bloody cool. If ya wanna ride in the rain, change the tire they are crap!!!

Thanks for all your help/advise, see ya out there :)

Cache Wraith
14th October 2006, 23:57
I'm just about to go out and get a 250 Comet, so I can do something with this learner licence I've had for 3 years! I'm 6' 4" and having tried a few 250's the Hysung is the best fit. At 6' 4" I have the feet to match, size 14's. I'm gong to have to modify the gear pedal, probably lengthen it to increase the gap between the rest and shift. Anyone had the same issue?

disenfranchised
15th October 2006, 08:08
Some of the online material describing the Hyosungs suggests that the GT250R has adjustable footrests.

I'm pretty sure my GT250 doesn't so I guess it could be one of the extra features you get for the extra money you have to spend.

SwanTiger
15th October 2006, 08:23
I'm just about to go out and get a 250 Comet, so I can do something with this learner licence I've had for 3 years! I'm 6' 4" and having tried a few 250's the Hysung is the best fit. At 6' 4" I have the feet to match, size 14's. I'm gong to have to modify the gear pedal, probably lengthen it to increase the gap between the rest and shift. Anyone had the same issue?

That modification should be fairly straight forward, however if you've had your learner license for 3 years I'd suggest that you get your restricted and apply for a CC exemption and get something bigger with a bit more more power.

I take a size 12 - 13 and didn't have any problem with the gear or brake leaver. It did take me a while to learn how to position my feet as I would often mistake the lower part of the fairing as the brake leaver.

Some of the online material describing the Hyosungs suggests that the GT250R has adjustable footrests.

I'm pretty sure my GT250 doesn't so I guess it could be one of the extra features you get for the extra money you have to spend.

Correct, the GT 250R has adjustable foot pegs however the GT 250 (Comet) does not. Seems logical to me as the upright seating position on the Comet doesn't really need the same peg positions that the GT 250R offers.

Cache Wraith
15th October 2006, 13:12
That modification should be fairly straight forward, however if you've had your learner license for 3 years I'd suggest that you get your restricted and apply for a CC exemption and get something bigger with a bit more more power.

I've had the learners for 3 years but my experience is limited to getting the handling certificate and that's about it, so I'm a total newbie in reality. Thought it was about time to do something about it. Thought about getting an exemption, but reading some posts on other threads not sure if I would qualify, but in all reality I do need a bigger bike for comfort although at 6'4" I'm only 90kg (all muscle mind you (-: ). Anyone know of anyone who was able to get an exemption.

marty
15th October 2006, 13:54
i'm 6 2 100 kg, and i had an aprilia rs250. it was perfect