PDA

View Full Version : scrubbing tyres in

FROSTY
26th May 2004, 00:51
I know this has been done before but has anyone any ideas how to scrub the shiney shite off tyres without riding the bike?
My race bike tyres will see the ground for the first time actually at taupo.
Ideallly id like them at least partially scrubbed in -especially if its a wet meeting

RiderInBlack
26th May 2004, 05:37
I know this has been done before but has anyone any ideas how to scrub the shiney shite off tyres without riding the bike?
Ideallly id like them at least partially scrubbed in -especially if its a wet meeting
How about putting it up on the stand and running some course sandpaper over them?

wkid_one
26th May 2004, 07:39
Ride the bike around the streets at home - that will sort them out.

White trash
26th May 2004, 07:54

Get some "Brake clean" from Repco, spray it on a rag and wipe off the greazy shit.

Sorted.

FROSTY
26th May 2004, 08:24
maybee a combination of all 3

James Deuce
26th May 2004, 08:34
Get some "Brake clean" from Repco, spray it on a rag and wipe off the greazy shit.

Sorted.

Be careful with this one. Tyres have a bunch of slow release chemicals in them that don't respond well to solvents or hydrocarbons. Don't use that stuff that makes your tyres look all nice and new either.

The most important part of scrubbing a tyre in is activating the "fixers" that ensure a consistent quality of compound through the life of the tyre. Solvents can cause the fixers to release more rapidly resulting in tyres that are stickier, but don't last very long. Similarly getting the tyres too hot during the scrubbing in period can cause the same thing. Racers and hoons probably don't care, but I like to get 10k out of my tyres so I'm pretty careful about scrubbing them in.

bluninja
26th May 2004, 08:43

Use the first practice to scrub them in whilst you're learning the track you wuss :yeah: I did my first race at Manfeild and scrubbed in my pirellis in the wet....didn't fall off till several meetings later. :o

White trash
26th May 2004, 08:47
.... but I like to get 10k out of my tyres so I'm pretty careful about scrubbing them in.

10k?! Are you mental? :shit:

James Deuce
26th May 2004, 08:49

Ummm, yes?

I just got 6k out of a front.

riffer
26th May 2004, 08:49
I get 10K easily out of mine. Then again I run touring tyres.

bluninja
26th May 2004, 09:24

I used to get 8k miles out of the rear on my ZZR600....now I only get 3k kms out of the rear on the priller :wacko:

Deano
26th May 2004, 09:30

That might help explain your times over the Taka's celtic ?

I had a new Diablo put on the rear and it was fully scrubbed by the time I got home (5 minute ride but quite a few tight corners) - squirrelled around a wee bit, but I was very impressed. Im always a bit more cautious with a new front though.

Just scrub it in on practice day.

F5 Dave
26th May 2004, 09:52
I’ve always taken the glaze off with a mill file or sandpaper, BUT: don’t use anything rough. On soft tyres the big scratches you make can continue to tear.

Also it has to be said:

RIB, please turn your font size down, it just looks too ‘shouty’

wkid_one
26th May 2004, 18:31
Fucken hell - 10k, 8k - I was lucky to see 3k out of a rear for the R1.....sheesh.....

merv
26th May 2004, 18:40
Also it has to be said:

I told Zed that a while ago too, I just can't be bothered reading large bold print so usually skip their messages.

Two Smoker
26th May 2004, 18:42
Im lucky to see 9000km's on the front tyre of my little puny 150 :eek5: ........

Coldkiwi
27th May 2004, 13:30
if you want a nice scrubbing in technique (not that I want to risk trying it!), check out the bloke on the ZX-10 doing a warm up burnout on his way to a 9.39 second run (do a search for the thread and download the vid).
I always wondered how you warm the sides of the tyre for a hill climb!! *gulp!*

DEATH_INC.
27th May 2004, 13:37
I always ran a steamcleaner over mine,seemed to work......

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 13:40
Use the first practice to scrub them in whilst you're learning the track you wuss :yeah: I did my first race at Manfeild and scrubbed in my pirellis in the wet....didn't fall off till several meetings later. :o
ok dude its official --you have bigger balls than me
Now we got that out of the way I was under the impression that its nigh on impossible to scrub tyres in in the wet. Hey im open to edjumication here

FzerozeroT
27th May 2004, 14:23
I heard the word from a dude -

Tyres need to be warmed up properly to be scrubbed in well, if you sand/scrape the plasiticy layer off the rubber still won't be grippy. once rubber warms up it gets sticky, i.e. even when it cools down the top layer is stickier than if not heated and cooled.

Urban Myth?

F5 Dave
27th May 2004, 14:23
Yeah but it gets rid of the mold release.

I’ve scrubbed Slicks in the Wet, but only on Buckets & it’s not what you’d call fun esp. on kart tracks where they oil their kart chains with normal oil. :eek5:

vifferman
27th May 2004, 14:53
Yeah but it gets rid of the mold release.

That's the thing - we're talking about two different things here - one is that the scrubbing in process gets rid of the silicon based (?) mould release stuff coating the tyre carcase that makes it slippery till it's mostly gone, and the other is the combination of scuffing the surface of the tyre so at a micro level it is better in the damp, and the heating of the tread that makes it sticky.
If you can get rid of the mould release coating using meths or summat it shouldn't ferk the tyre significantly. Brake cleaner is acetone based, so it's not as bad as something like petrol. It's also not going to soak right into the tyre anyway, just a fraction of a millimetre, so I don't think it will hurt it. But you have to do a small area of tread at a time, as the acetone evaporates so fast that you could end up just removing the slippery crap from one area so it can end up on another one.

As for the actual scrubbing in, nothing really beats riding the thing, although you could do what I did, and go to the supermarket carpark in the evening and do a few left-hand and right-hand cicles around a lamp standard, using body english to lean the bike awy from you and further into the turn, so there's little risk of it sliding as it might if you're pushing it to the limits on the road or track.

RiderInBlack
27th May 2004, 15:08
:Offtopic: A, I'm a bit Deaf. Been arould HD's too Much.

I'll just turn my hearing aid up a bit for you sonny.

Is that better for you (feel like I'm whispering:shutup: ). By the way my laptop only has a little screen making print this size on it hard to read <_< :doh:

RiderInBlack
27th May 2004, 15:15
I told Zed that a while ago too, I just can't be bothered reading large bold print so usually skip their messages.
Ooh good because this is not in bold (This is). It is just a larger font size (Comic Sans MS 3, rather than Comic Sans 2, or the site plan and boring Verdana 2 in the standard Black ):finger:

Jackrat
27th May 2004, 15:43
You can remove the release agent with white spirits on a rag, but the scrubbing in is only going to happen by riding the bike.The tyre has to be heated and then let cool to set the compounds properly.
Removing the release agent and scrubbing in I treat as two unrelated things.

vifferman
27th May 2004, 15:48
That's what I said. (?)

Motoracer
27th May 2004, 15:56
Find some one nice enough to let you borrow his/her road going ZXR400. Swap the wheels and do some tire scrubbing the proper way.

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 16:39
bloody good idea mr
Ok -needed one 1989 zxr400 road bike -for aprox 15 minutes---any takers ??

Big Dog
28th May 2004, 17:49
:lol: I just got 20,000 out of the front before the sides wore out (middle still has a deep tread). The back will still be good for another 2-5K :moon: Battlax BT45F before anyone asks...... but then I am a nana. :banana: