PDA

View Full Version : Used 640 Adventures?

CBobR
27th June 2006, 13:41
Hi all, my mates dirty 1150GS looks like fun so I've been thinking about trading one of my sportsbikes for an adventure bike.

I have a few questions for you:
Are there many used KTM 640 Adventures about in NZ? A KTM dealer told me they don't bring in many officially, I'm not sure if there are any japanese imports about? I don't really want a new one because I'll fall over lots, so pre scratched would be better.

Failing that, how much would you expect to pay for a used (carbed is fine) F650GS Dakar with reasonable k's (not sure what reasonable is for that engine though?)?

Also, has anyone had experience with getting their japanese imports serviced at official BMW and KTM dealers?

Cheers

Dazza
27th June 2006, 15:50
I know it's not an Adventurer but I've got an KTM 640E with an 18ltr tank that I would like to sell to a good home !!

Ruralman
27th June 2006, 15:57
You seem to be missing one other excellent bike in this sector - the Honda Transalp. Depends a bit on what sort of riding you plan to do. I have a 2001 650 T/Alp which I bought off Trademe for $8500 with 23,000km on it. The older 600's come up occaisonally for under $6K. I use mine on gravel roads allthe time. It has much better weather protection than the KTM or F650, has a much more comfortable seat than the KTM, excellent lights and a very torquey easy to ride motor. Don't get hung up on peak power figures for these bikes, torques where its at if you are going to use it as an adventure bike.
If you want to get off road and really rough then the KTM and then the F650 would be better - but if you're going to do that then get a road legal serious dirt bike, or get a cheap KDX 200 or something as well as your adventure bike.
We're planning a trip around the South Island going over every road pass on gravel and sealed roads - for a trip like this the Transalp is an easy first choice.
Good luck

chris
27th June 2006, 16:10
You need to decide whether you want a bike that can handle gravel as well as seal or a bike that can handle the forest as well as gravel and seal. Bikes such as the Transalp or V-Strom are fine but don't like being dropped. Bikes such as the KTM 640 and DSR650 can be thrown down the trail and picked up again with very little damage. You will at some point drop it....

clint640
27th June 2006, 16:17
The 640Adv's are like rockinghorse faeces. Dunno about the cost of a Dakar but there are far more around. They're both good rigs, the 640 is a lot more dirt worthy & droppable than the Dakar, which is far more comfy on the road. The '03's & '04's are the best of the 640's.

If you are looking at these you should also look at other bikes: The 640 Enduro KTM, there are more of these around than the Adv's, & with the bolt on 18 litre tank & a windscreen they are functionally very similar to the 640Adv, a lot of the '02's came with the big tank std, The KLR650, a good package, less bling but less $$ too, the DR650, the XT600 & even the 650 Transalp.

Cheers
Clint

Oscar
28th June 2006, 20:50
I'm with Clint - get an LC4E. There are plenty around and lots with 18l tanks. You can even buy accessories cheaply - a gel seat for an LC4 is $189! That's the whole seat!

If you really want to go adventure riding with more than a little off road stuff, DON'T buy an F650. I had one and would hate for anyone to repeat my mistake (i.e by thinking it was anything more than a gravel road wannabe).

The TransAlp is also an excellent adventure scooter.

XP@
30th June 2006, 13:58
if you are a short arse or have no experience off road then go for something as light as possible (DR650? or a 400/450 or even a 250) with as many solid protectors as possible (engine, radiator, bark busters). You WILL fall off, unless you are being a total panzy and not even bothering to try ride.

Even though frequent off's don't usually hurt that much I would also strap on some added armour to yourself knees and elbows really important, kidney and shoulders also help.

The others are right, the bigger more plastic 650's are good gravel not good off road. You can take them off road but be prepared to use a bit of brute force. A lighter bike for your first 1 to 2 years on gravel / off road is really good because you will be able to get the confidence to really step it out and push the envelope. I started on an F650 then went to an XT400 which really helped me understand how to ride the F650. Now I have a Transalp which, for me, is a road and sometimes gravel bike.

warewolf
2nd July 2006, 18:45
I've got a new LC4 Adventure. It's an awesome bike, but if I was buying again I'd probably go for the LC4E with the 18L tank and comfort seat - it's a more versatile combo for less $$$. The A is also taller in the saddle than the E. The '03-on As get the 950-based front end which is less dirt-worthy than the E setup.

warewolf
2nd July 2006, 18:51
Sorry forgot to add; up to '04 they only brought one LC4 Adventure in each year; '05 there was two. '06? dunno, but one has been sold already.

CBobR
2nd July 2006, 20:10
Thanks for the replies everybody,

I do about 10km of gravel a day commuting on my sportsbikes and I find them okay for that, so I'm thinking of something more towards the offroad end of the spectrum.

I didn't know that you could get the 640 Enduro with a big tank, very interesting. Not much demand for used street bikes up here so it would be much easier to buy from a dealer, but thanks for the offer Dazza.

I'll have to testride some bikes I think (I've only ridden the dakar so far, which wasn't bad (but BMW won't trade my japanese bike)). Thanks all.

laRIKin
2nd July 2006, 20:47
I've got a new LC4 Adventure. It's an awesome bike, but if I was buying again I'd probably go for the LC4E with the 18L tank and comfort seat - it's a more versatile combo for less $$$. The A is also taller in the saddle than the E. The '03-on As get the 950-based front end which is less dirt-worthy than the E setup.

Strange that you say that WareWolf and thanks, that makes me feel better.

I really like my 640E and have sometimes wondered if I would be better off with the Adventure.

But are not to sure how the extra fairing would take the knocks (crashers)
And all though the tank is real large, you do not have to fill it to the top, do you.

And I would like to get a 18L tank to feel that I have more fuel in reserve on some rides.
And that should make me happier as it would be a sort of a cross over bike between them both.

warewolf
2nd July 2006, 23:23
But are not to sure how the extra fairing would take the knocks (crashers)I've never really thought about the "headlight mask" as a fairing. From the photos I've seen on advrider thumpers (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15), the tank takes all the hits and acts as radiator guards. The A also has handguards to protect the levers and a bash plate - all standard.

And all though the tank is real large, you do not have to fill it to the top, do you.Nup, try to keep the level only at what you need.

Coming back from the Brass, we filled at Kurow, went via Black Forest Station, MacKenzie Pass, Burke Pass to Fairlie. Next day I headed off up SH72? (the inland road via Mt Hutt) and eventually filled at Cheviot...482km for the tank.

clint640
3rd July 2006, 15:40
I didn't know that you could get the 640 Enduro with a big tank, very interesting. Not much demand for used street bikes up here so it would be much easier to buy from a dealer, but thanks for the offer Dazza.

AMPS had a new 04 640E going for a steal in this months bikemart, patterson o'connor in rotorua had a low k's one the last time I was there but they wanted more $ than AMPS were after for the new one :weird:

If you buy one from a KTM dealer & it's only got the 12L tank, put the hard word on them for a discount on the 18L version while you're doing the deal.

Cheers
Clint

CBobR
10th July 2006, 18:40
Found this:
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1889231&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz
sweet looking 640 Adventure

I've drafted an ad for my zx :(

Thanks Clint. I had a quick look at AMPS on the weekend. I didn't stay long but I think the new 04 LC4 was sold, as was their cheaper 950. They had a not yet run in GO! which was very nice but too much for me.

inlinefour
30th July 2006, 13:20
DRZ400 now has a 28 litre tank, not too sure what to think about it, but its improved the userability somewhat. Started off with a 10 litre tank and was needing to carry an extra fuel can on the pack rack. Will be nice to actually be able to put a pack on it and off my back. :yes:

Oscar
30th July 2006, 16:28
DRZ400 now has a 28 litre tank, not too sure what to think about it, but its improved the userability somewhat. Started off with a 10 litre tank and was needing to carry an extra fuel can on the pack rack. Will be nice to actually be able to put a pack on it and off my back. :yes:

My DRZ worked really well as an Adv Bike with suitable gearing.
As you found it was the fuel capacity that was the problem (oh, and the plank they laughingly refer to as a seat).

With 28l on board, the world is yer oyster...

inlinefour
30th July 2006, 16:56
My DRZ worked really well as an Adv Bike with suitable gearing.
As you found it was the fuel capacity that was the problem (oh, and the plank they laughingly refer to as a seat).

With 28l on board, the world is yer oyster...

and when I ride with my codura pants on there is enough padding to stop the sore arse. Im in the process of scoring a spidi enduro suit, so hopefully that is equally padded well in those most important places...:innocent:

far queue
31st July 2006, 18:58
That's a big mother - got any pic's of it on the bike for us?

I want to replace my tank with something bigger, but I'm tight and want it for a good price so where did you get yours from? How much? A DRZ tank wont fit the DR, but you never know, they may have something at a reasonable price for me.

inlinefour
31st July 2006, 19:09
That's a big mother - got any pic's of it on the bike for us?

I want to replace my tank with something bigger, but I'm tight and want it for a good price so where did you get yours from? How much? A DRZ tank wont fit the DR, but you never know, they may have something at a reasonable price for me.

forget the good price, if you want one then you'll be forking out $800 just like I did. Have not taken a picture of it as its not actually on the bike yet. Will post a pic or 2 once its done.

Link if your interested: http://www.rvaqualine.com.au/page.php?sId=11

far queue
31st July 2006, 19:35
forget the good price, if you want one then you'll be forking out $800 just like I did. Have not taken a picture of it as its not actually on the bike yet. Will post a pic or 2 once its done.
Ah, OK, no thanks don't want to spend that much. I've seen pics of Aqualine tanks before, and they're big mothers alright. You'll really be able to get away from it all with that. I'm thinking along the lines of an IMS tank at 21 litres, which I'm told can be got for around $600 from the US, but I'm hoping to find a cheaper way of getting one. That may just be wishful thinking though.

inlinefour
31st July 2006, 19:39
Ah, OK, no thanks don't want to spend that much. I've seen pics of Aqualine tanks before, and they're big mothers alright. You'll really be able to get away from it all with that. I'm thinking along the lines of an IMS tank at 21 litres, which I'm told can be got for around $600 from the US, but I'm hoping to find a cheaper way of getting one. That may just be wishful thinking though.

I have been looking for a bigger tank 2nd hand since getting the DRZ, have not seen one. Be wary though the cost of shipping and converting to kiwi dollars can shoot the price up pretty darn quick.

far queue
31st July 2006, 19:49
I have been looking for a bigger tank 2nd hand since getting the DRZ, have not seen one. Be wary though the cost of shipping and converting to kiwi dollars can shoot the price up pretty darn quick.
$600 is the landed price

dark monster
8th August 2006, 21:25
I know it's not an Adventurer but I've got an KTM 640E with an 18ltr tank that I would like to sell to a good home !!

Is it wof'd,rego'd? How many Kays? Does it run out of gas like your other KTM?

Dazza
9th August 2006, 11:48
Is it wof'd,rego'd? How many Kays? Does it run out of gas like your other KTM?
Welcome to the site, and piss off Devlin :nya:

CBobR
1st October 2006, 17:32
Hi all, just a quick update after all your advice.

I tried really hard to buy this adventure:
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=2025419&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz
But I couldn't get the right deal, I think I seemed too keen.

So in a bid not to waste too many weekends, I got up early saturday and went down to Hamiltron to see this: http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1887630&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz
It was very tidy for a 10 year old bike, brand new Pirelli Scorpians, and they offered me a good deal on my trade-in, but someone had a hold on it, I had to wait an hour for the guy to come in and ride the bike and decide if he wanted it. But the guy rode it and couldn't decide so wouldn't tell Boyd's his decision till monday (very accomodating of Boyd's I thought, but bad news for me).

So I went across the road to see this:
http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=1774494&TabID=3553&Alias=motorcycletradernz
(the ad might be taken down shortly, but it's a 2001 BMW F650GS Dakar with BMW Panniers and TKC80s). The deal wasn't the greatest, I actually rode away from the dealer at one point on my ZX6R (I was tired, hungry, and very hot and sweaty in my leathers in the heat), then came back, it was the right bike, NZ new, full service history, already had some battle damage so I didn't have to worry about keeping it pristine.

I paid more money than hoped for the 650, and said goodbye to my 636. Jumped on the BMW and headed back up north on the Expressway. By Manakau I feeling more like Postman Pat than Simon Pavey and was thinking "What have I done, this is the most boring, slow bike ever, and I've just traded my gorgeous exciting Kawasaki for it". I was happy that I hadn't exceeded the speed limit in over an hour, pretty tricky feat (for me) on the ZX6, and my main reason for trying an adventure bike.

I stopped in auckland for the night saw the new stonefish exihibit at Kelly Tarltons in the morning and got back on the bike to come home to scenic Kawakawa. Heading up the northern motorway was more doubt, it was raining heavily and I was missing my sportsbike's suspension, brakes and tyres.

Still heavy rain, I stopped at Ruakaka to look at the beach, the tide was in so I couldn't ride down it, I got some fuel instead, just over 4l/100km, not bad.

I turned off SH1 at Kamo to go to Pipiwai, my boss had told me of some good biking roads out there, it turned out great, nice smooth gravel. I started sticking my foot out, and carefully sliding the back out, very fun. By Otiria I was feeling quite pleased with the bike. I got home and opened my panniers to find everything completely dry, nice.

I've got a couple of more offroady trips planned, so I think the bike will seem even better after that
Thanks for the advice all.

PLUG
2nd October 2006, 08:39
Good choice ... www.f650.com will become you friend.