PDA

View Full Version : KLR250 issues

adam666
27th June 2006, 18:29
Hi,

Ive been plodding away fixing bits and pieces in hope of getting my KLR into a usable condition. so far done: carb (disassemble/clean), adjusted valve clearances, replaced both sprockets + chain. and about to order replacement choke parts which Ive found to be missing.

having major problems starting, possibly related to the KACR? and maybe helped by above choke parts but.....

1. Is there anyone in the wellington region thats familiar with these?
Anyone that can check it over / gimme some pointers / or even help with repairs??

2. Where is the best place to buy kawasaki parts from? is boyles the only one?

3. Can anyone recommend a place/person who repairs bikes? for a reasonable price ?

Thanks
Adam
(stranded on 4 wheels :wait: )

merv
27th June 2006, 19:32
Where's Pickle when you need him? Him and his Mrs have KLR's.

adam666
27th June 2006, 22:10
cheers mate.

have just sent him an email :)

hopefully hes a DIY'r and can shed some light on my probs!!

thanks again

Adam

Pickle
29th June 2006, 13:03
Hi Adam have sent you an e-mail, contact me if you wish.
we have always taken our bikes to Boyles with no problems, they know the KLR's well

adam666
14th July 2006, 23:01
progress at last!!!

with a few more backward steps in between.......

removed exh cam to find exceptionally large amounts of wear :( and new they are $640!!! :gob:

thankfully found a dude from the KLR250 yahoogroups had a brand new exh cam/rocker/kacr set which cost $148US over there so in about a week I should have a shiny new set to install!! for a spiffing price of $280NZ incl postage +insurance!! :rockon:

also found carb is missing choke plunger/spring - new they are $100 :gob:
nice guy at boyles found a plunger setup from a GPX600 thats fits nicely for $20

.....shouldnt be too far from being a runner again!

cheers
Adam

Pickle
16th July 2006, 19:30
Glad to hear you are making progress, call me when you get it back on the road, need to do some gravel back roads over Wairarapa

adam666
18th July 2006, 14:22
sweet, im keen!

do you have a van / ute or something?

parts should be here from the US in about a week, so can get to re-assembling.
but will be a while longer before it'll be roadworthy again :(

still trying to find switches etc for it

cheers
Adam

Pickle
18th July 2006, 15:41
Why do you want to go in a ute for, thats why i bought a road legal trail bike so i dont have to worry about using the ute.
But yes I do have a ute & I want to sell it.

cowpoos
18th July 2006, 18:00
Why do you want to go in a ute for, thats why i bought a road legal trail bike so i dont have to worry about using the ute.
But yes I do have a ute & I want to sell it.
ohhhh ohhh...I have a kawasaki trail bike to...can I come play!!!

merv
18th July 2006, 18:34
I can bring a Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha, but no Kawasakis. Pickle when's this ride you are going to organise with a top lunch somewhere?

Pickle
19th July 2006, 11:59
Sorry This is an exclusive KLR250 ride only.

Bit like having a GN250 owners ride really - oooh just thought about that best we let everyone come along. Will be going to the Lemming Run on Sat 29th July out past Ocean beach if anyone wants to tag along.

cowpoos
19th July 2006, 12:11
Sorry This is an exclusive KLR250 ride only.

come on....its a KLX...your bikes big brother??

adam666
21st July 2006, 10:23
Parts for the KLR have left the states, so just hope they're not held up in customs or anything.

go a few more bits needed for road legality so may have to sit this one out unfortunately :wait:

Im assuming you run 'trail' tyres on yours bike? Ive seen a couple of trail bikes round with road tyres on them but just doesnt seem right!

any issues with the trail tyres being used on-road that I should be aware of?
have heard wet ashphelt and trail tyres arent a good combination

got my BHS yesterday, (great day for it!! lol) so gonna book in with AA today

cheers
Adam

merv
21st July 2006, 10:35
In the old days I rode every where on road with dirt knobbly tyres without any worry. Occasionaly I ran with trials universal tyres and they were fine too.

Nowadays the bikes come with street legal knobblys and for an old dirt biker like me they feel weird because they grip so well the bikes don't back end steer like they used to. The carcasses of the street legal tyres are quite stiff - I can let the air right out of the tyres on my WR and I could still ride it OK. They aren't soft and pliable like a good dirt tyre for squeezing mud out between the blocks.

In the end it doesn't matter what you use you should be able to feel how much grip they have and get used to them. If they slide a bit it doesn't matter on a light weight dirt bike with wide handlebars its easy to flick it sideways and recover without the risk of highsiding like you get on a road bike.

The only issue really is the damn WOF guys are looking for DOT legal markings or making sure they don't say NHS (not highway specified) on the tyres.

adam666
21st July 2006, 13:01
Cheers Merv!

Had thought as much, tyres on there arent new but seem pretty good still so will do for a while. Will go check for the 'DOT' rating on them

Cheers
Adam

cowpoos
21st July 2006, 13:18
In the old days I rode every where on road with dirt knobbly tyres without any worry. Occasionaly I ran with trials universal tyres and they were fine too.

Nowadays the bikes come with street legal knobblys and for an old dirt biker like me they feel weird because they grip so well the bikes don't back end steer like they used to. The carcasses of the street legal tyres are quite stiff - I can let the air right out of the tyres on my WR and I could still ride it OK. They aren't soft and pliable like a good dirt tyre for squeezing mud out between the blocks.

In the end it doesn't matter what you use you should be able to feel how much grip they have and get used to them. If they slide a bit it doesn't matter on a light weight dirt bike with wide handlebars its easy to flick it sideways and recover without the risk of highsiding like you get on a road bike.

The only issue really is the damn WOF guys are looking for DOT legal markings or making sure they don't say NHS (not highway specified) on the tyres.
michelin ac-10's ..... hav a look on the net...best dam road legal off road tyres ya can buy....its even more amazing how long they last!!!

merv
21st July 2006, 15:41
Got this type of Michelin tyre on my WR - its what it came with http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/index.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004112844&codePage=2092004112844_09092004170838&lang=EN and while the guff says "supple but durable" I reckon it has a bloody hard carcass. So far has been a pretty good tyre all the same but I haven't ridden real slippery muddy stuff with it.

The XR came with D605 Dunlops and they are fine - slightly more street oriented - this guff http://www.bikebiz.com.au/shop/enter.html?target=p_390.html&lang=en-us says 60% off road 40% road. They are quite a rounded tyre, great for road cornering and wouldn't be so good in heavy muck.

cowpoos
21st July 2006, 17:44
Got this type of Michelin tyre on my WR - its what it came with http://two-wheels.michelin.com/2w/front/index.jsp?codeRubrique=2092004112844&codePage=2092004112844_09092004170838&lang=EN and while the guff says "supple but durable" I reckon it has a bloody hard carcass. So far has been a pretty good tyre all the same but I haven't ridden real slippery muddy stuff with it.

The XR came with D605 Dunlops and they are fine - slightly more street oriented - this guff http://www.bikebiz.com.au/shop/enter.html?target=p_390.html&lang=en-us says 60% off road 40% road. They are quite a rounded tyre, great for road cornering and wouldn't be so good in heavy muck.
yes....hmmm....dunlops.....errr.....I have nothing constructive to say about them...

I've tryed alot of different tyres on my offroad bikes merv...have alot of hard lim and gravel tracks on farm as well as mud and crap......good alround tyres are deffinatly what I seek...and we do priddy high milage on them to...and I can't find anything to surpass AC-10's for grip in any situation and milage...its incredible how these tyres last and yet grip....just bloody incredible....metxler make a good dual purpose tyre too...can't remeber the name of it though...they had alil less grip than the michelins but got alot more milage out of them...

adam666
21st July 2006, 21:14
Ill definately give those AC-10s a go when the time comes, how much on-road work you do cowpoo?

cheers
adam

merv
21st July 2006, 21:18
You can see that because I'm a tight arse I stick with OEM tyres until they are worn out and don't really care what I ride on the road with because I manage with anything.

Might have to try the AC-10 myself sometime.

inlinefour
23rd July 2006, 11:01
ohhhh ohhh...I have a kawasaki trail bike to...can I come play!!!

You have one of those green Suzukis poos? I've got a yellow road legal Suzuki, can I tag along too? (soory poos, I dont play those sorts of games...)

Pickle
26th July 2006, 09:50
See Lemming run in the Meetings & Events section

cowpoos
26th July 2006, 09:59
You have one of those green Suzukis poos? I've got a yellow road legal Suzuki, can I tag along too? (soory poos, I dont play those sorts of games...)
nope....I got a klx300...and has nothing suzuki about it thank gwad!!! I also have a drz250 which is the biggest heap of shit i've ever paid money for in my life...there is nothing...and I mean nothing good about it!!!!

inlinefour
26th July 2006, 16:59
nope....I got a klx300...and has nothing suzuki about it thank gwad!!! I also have a drz250 which is the biggest heap of shit i've ever paid money for in my life...there is nothing...and I mean nothing good about it!!!!

I thought you swear by Suzuki, are you gixxer owners a tad fickle or was it the submarine Honduh that you could not kill? Dunno about the drz250, but the drz400 is an awesome bike. :rockon:

merv
26th July 2006, 17:05
I also have a drz250 which is the biggest heap of shit i've ever paid money for in my life...there is nothing...and I mean nothing good about it!!!!

Perhaps the other people on here will believe what I've been saying about the DR now there are two of us saying the same as the DRZ250 is only a cosmetic work over of the DR250R I had and it was a parts bin special it just had too many flaws - if you've read my posts in the past you know all about this. Zukin wouldn't believe me and went and bought a couple anyway.

For a long term dirt biker like me the DRZ400 sucks big time too, its gearbox ratios are way too close to make it useful as a tight trail and road blaster all in one.

inlinefour
26th July 2006, 19:08
For a long term dirt biker like me the DRZ400 sucks big time too, its gearbox ratios are way too close to make it useful as a tight trail and road blaster all in one.

I think what you seak does not really exist. Kinda like expecting an enzo to not only preform on the road but also as well as a rally impreza offroad...

merv
26th July 2006, 19:30
I think what you seak does not really exist. Kinda like expecting an enzo to not only preform on the road but also as well as a rally impreza offroad...

Not true, that's where the XR's are cool with wide ratio six speed box. I've mentioned many a time on here about gearing. A good all purpose enduro/adventure/trail bike has a difference in ratio between first gear and top gear of over 3 times. A DRZ400 only runs around 2.6. Even the DR650 which is very road oriented runs over 2.9, my WR is near enough 3 and my XR250L is 3.4, the Yamaha XT250 is 3.9 - the widest ratio of all the bikes we own. What that means if you have a good spread is one minute you are cruising through tight trails in trees and rocks in first gear without having to rark it on the clutch all the time, you have great control going down steep hills, but out on the gravel roads your not compromised and you blat along as fast as you like.

If the WR had a six speed box instead of a 5 speed it would have been heaven instead of just great - so even though it has quite a good spread with 5 speeds out on the road its top speed is coming from revs which is not so good for engine longevity - the WR revs to 13,500 - gearing has it at 13,000 doing 167km/hr and it easily reaches 160 on my GPS so getting close to maximum rpm in top.

What is a DRZ400 max revs you reckon? - I'm guessing more like 9 - 10,000 and what speed is that on stock gearing? - probably only 130 - 140, but even then on the trail they require too much work on the clutch in tight going. They should have had a six speed box with a lower first and higher top gear. Perhaps the best use for them is as a motard geared up for the road.

inlinefour
26th July 2006, 19:46
Not true, that's where the XR's are cool with wide ratio six speed box. I've mentioned many a time on here about gearing. A good all purpose enduro/adventure/trail bike has a difference in ratio between first gear and top gear of over 3 times. A DRZ400 only runs around 2.6. Even the DR650 which is very road oriented runs over 2.9, my WR is near enough 3 and my XR250L is 3.4, the Yamaha XT250 is 3.9 - the widest ratio of all the bikes we own. What that means if you have a good spread is one minute you are cruising through tight trails in trees and rocks in first gear without having to rark it on the clutch all the time, you have great control going down steep hills, but out on the gravel roads your not compromised and you blat along as fast as you like.

If the WR had a six speed box instead of a 5 speed it would have been heaven instead of just great - so even though it has quite a good spread with 5 speeds out on the road its top speed is coming from revs which is not so good for engine longevity - the WR revs to 13,500 - gearing has it at 13,000 doing 167km/hr and it easily reaches 160 on my GPS so getting close to maximum rpm in top.

What is a DRZ400 max revs you reckon? - I'm guessing more like 9 - 10,000 and what speed is that on stock gearing? - probably only 130 - 140, but even then on the trail they require too much work on the clutch in tight going. They should have had a six speed box with a lower first and higher top gear.

Standard enduro gearing, whatever that is is 152kph on my DRZ400, which I could change. Handles very well for an enduro and Ive owned XR200/250/500R & TT350f in the past and I believe that the DRZ is a far better bike and also faster than what I have owned in the past. However I have set my DRZ for enduro riding and have a CBR600RR for road riding. The two are worlds apart and to find a bike to do both as well IMO is a tad unrealistic.

BTW, I run barely road legal knobbles on the DRZ, nothing quite like em and the bike ould not be as much fun with road orientated tyres...

Zukin
26th July 2006, 20:09
Perhaps the other people on here will believe what I've been saying about the DR now there are two of us saying the same as the DRZ250 is only a cosmetic work over of the DR250R I had and it was a parts bin special it just had too many flaws - if you've read my posts in the past you know all about this. Zukin wouldn't believe me and went and bought a couple anyway.

I am disappointed at your comments Merv (although I have not taken it personally :mellow: )

The reasons
I test rode every 250 bike I could find
XR, WR, Sherpa, TTR & DRZ etc etc
The one I found to be the best of the test for us was the DRZ, it was comfortable for me, but more importantly my wife felt a lot more comfortable.
It had the features that I was looking for, something that the others did not have. The DRZ also had better fuel economy than some of the others.

Now I am not an expert, whereas you may be, but I made a decision based on how I felt, and how their dealers treated me.
I know that from previous Honda experiences that I wont have the same disappointments from Suzuki Dealers.

I am sure you are intelligent enough to know that we are all individual, and therfore have individual tastes.
What I may like or want or need, cold be completely different to yours :yes:

This is why I got the Suzuki's, not because of another persons bad experiences of them.

Regards and no offence intended, as none has been taken
Scott:yes:

merv
26th July 2006, 20:19
I am disappointed at your comments Merv (although I have not taken it personally :mellow: )

Regards and no offence intended, as none has been taken
Scott:yes:

No worries, I was only trying to be helpful telling you all this stuff before you made your choice. I was just interested to see Poos had some bad comment too. 4skins is another who had exactly the same problems when his Mrs had a DR250. The bike was OK, but far from great. I wouldn't have kept it 5 years if it was terrible, but on the trail (particularly slippery ones) or gravel roads I felt I could only ride it 80% as it had too many flaws - see how you go but I won't be surprised if you get tired with the sticky throttle, the driveline lash and the buzzy engine not to even mention the servicing issues again. Fuel economy wasn't an issue with it, but the XR250L with the vacuum carb is even more frugal. I mentioned before, I had no reliability issues either so certainly didn't bag it for breaking.

merv
26th July 2006, 20:28
However I have set my DRZ for enduro riding and have a CBR600RR for road riding. The two are worlds apart and to find a bike to do both as well IMO is a tad unrealistic.

Yeah good comments, but I'm not talking about comparing them to a road bike I'm talking about a good dirt bike with a wide ratio box so it can be ridden comfortably on all terrain by an old guy like me. I have my VFR for road and don't expect to take that on the trail, but we are forced to do a lot of road work on our dirt bikes as the seal is forever creeping further out into the country, but I want to ride tight trails without stuffing around with gearing.

So what sprocket combo have you got on the DRZ to call it enduro gearing? To do 152 is it running a 15T front sprocket not a 14T?

inlinefour
26th July 2006, 20:36
Yeah good comments, but I'm not talking about comparing them to a road bike I'm talking about a good dirt bike with a wide ratio box so it can be ridden comfortably on all terrain by an old guy like me. I have my VFR for road and don't expect to take that on the trail, but we are forced to do a lot of road work on our dirt bikes as the seal is forever creeping further out into the country, but I want to ride tight trails without stuffing around with gearing.

So what sprocket combo have you got on the DRZ to call it enduro gearing? To do 152 is it running a 15T front sprocket not a 14T?

I think the sprokets are the original size, would have to look at them to be exact bit its quite low gearing. Ive got a classic CB350f, most comfortable bike to ride, would not ride in gravel though. Those big enduro BMWs are rather comfortable to ride...

cowpoos
26th July 2006, 21:43
drz400 is a far superior bike to the 250...the 250 I brough with multi purposes in mind...work and play...to me it failed greatly in both areas...I honestly could not say a good point about it...well it does have alloy wheels??
but is saying that I probally ride my offroad bikes at a level the drz250 was never designed to go...so no wonder whys is almost dead and only 20mnths old...the klx on the other hand is absaloutly brillent and a shame theres not a road going version...amazing engine and handling is brillent for its price bracket...better than a lot of more expensive bikes IMHO

as for the KLX...inline....I am and probally always will be a kawasaki fan...the only reason why I don't own a road bike kawaka is beause they don't make an up to date 750....and yes I did test the zx10r....

adam666
28th July 2006, 15:52
woohoo

received new exh cam/rocker combo, installed today.

couple a kicks and away she goes, bloody good!!

very noisy cam chain though, tensioner is toast i tink, chain seems ok, one more part to replace :(

and blows a bit a smoke when the revs get up. thats rings right?

havent checked compression yet as I dont have one of those thin walled socket tools to get the bugger out :wait:

cheers
Adam

Pickle
28th July 2006, 16:35
Adam that great, cam chain noise is pretty bad on them, as for smoke just keep filling it with oil - dont let them run low.
We have a spark plug tool if you want to borrow it.

Now when are you getting it on the road? so we can go adventuring over the wairarapa

adam666
28th July 2006, 18:54
arrgh hey pickle

gotta get a new tensioner, and some switches, then it should be ready for a wof.

tensioner is $210 :( damn oem parts are expensive!! :gob:

will mount a hip flask of 10w40 on the bike :) and its only up higher in the revs it starts smokin.

gettin there :p

cheers
adam