PDA

View Full Version : how often should you replace your spark plugs??

Big Chim
27th June 2006, 19:09
Title says it all really

SPORK
27th June 2006, 19:31
I dunno but I replace my Spork plugs every few months

SimJen
27th June 2006, 19:31
every 10-20,000km I spose. I'd be inclined to change them a bit more often on a revvy 250 four than say a 600 four.

What?
27th June 2006, 19:56
How long is a piece of string?
My F650 is fine with 10 - 20,000Km intervals, whereas the CB1100 will eat a set of NGK's every 5,000Km, and a set of Champions in under 2,000Km.
Then there is the old CR250, which will total any plug in under an hour.

Titanium
27th June 2006, 20:03
Title says it all really

Having trouble starting?

Every 5 - 10 k I guess on ya two fiddy....

Big Chim
27th June 2006, 20:06
thanks guys might have to pull one out and have alook at it, was having a bit of trouble in the weekend. is probably been about 10000ks since i put them in

GR81
27th June 2006, 20:21
How long is a piece of string?
twice the distance from the middle to the end :)

paturoa
27th June 2006, 20:58
use vinegar to clean them and triple their life

ZeroIndex
27th June 2006, 21:13
use vinegar to clean them and triple their life
you're actually supposed to use petrol to clean them..

paturoa
27th June 2006, 21:23
you're actually supposed to use petrol to clean them..

Yeah thats wot i was told as a young fella.

I was googling a couple of years back and read about the vinegar method - i though what a load of bollocks.

My KDX ate a couple of plugs which were lurking on the workbench (as they do), and thought what the hell, so I grabbed some vinegar, poured some in a plastic jar and put one of the plugs in it overnight.

The vinegar eats away at the porcelin (sp?) and metal but cleans up the business end of the plug a treat. Gave it a burst with compressed air and wd40 and tried it, purrrrrfect. Still in the bike 2 years later, a bunch of rides and a couple of extra "vinegars" later.

ZeroIndex
27th June 2006, 23:03
Yeah thats wot i was told as a young fella.

I was googling a couple of years back and read about the vinegar method - i though what a load of bollocks.

My KDX ate a couple of plugs which were lurking on the workbench (as they do), and thought what the hell, so I grabbed some vinegar, poured some in a plastic jar and put one of the plugs in it overnight.

The vinegar eats away at the porcelin (sp?) and metal but cleans up the business end of the plug a treat. Gave it a burst with compressed air and wd40 and tried it, purrrrrfect. Still in the bike 2 years later, a bunch of rides and a couple of extra "vinegars" later.
wow.. that is rather interesting..

sAsLEX
27th June 2006, 23:40
wow.. that is rather interesting..

Yeah but when the thing disintegrates from all the vineragereing it might not do nice things to the pistons and valves

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 07:05
Yeah but when the thing disintegrates from all the vineragereing it might not do nice things to the pistons and valves
"Interesting" didn't mean i was gonna try it myself.. even with iridium sparkplugs being $24, i only have one to replace (which i did a month ago).. I'm quite happy with the sandpaper and petrol thing anyway (been doing that as long as i've known what a sparkplug is)

F5 Dave
28th June 2006, 15:40
So malt or white vinegar?

Ohh Ohh Ohh! What about Vinaigrette? Think we have some Lemon infused in the fridge.

Ixion
28th June 2006, 22:48
Balsamic, you heathen. Why on EARTH would anyone think to use anything other than balsamic vinegar to soak a spark plug in. Do you want to COMPLETELY destroy your engine?