PDA

View Full Version : Opinions please - Triumph Tiger

Hammer
27th June 2006, 20:37
Folks,

Keen to get some opinions on how you find the tiger, how well made it is and how reliable it is. Appreciate your views.

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 20:39
Oh God, now we have to listen to Sels bang on and on again. Sigh.

Good bike, shame about the obsessive compulsives who ride them.

Sensei
27th June 2006, 20:46
Have been known to do Head gaskets , same motor as a T509 855cc just different cams . Not a bad bike .

James Deuce
27th June 2006, 20:53
Err, sorry Sensei, it's the 955 now. Has been for some years.

Colapop
27th June 2006, 20:55
It's a tall bike.

limbimtimwim
27th June 2006, 23:16
I rode with this guy who had one for a day. It had some crazy massive range per tank if he didn't thrash it. I can't remember what it was, but it was car like. WAY more than you'd want to do between stops. And it went around corners well enough.

We saw some gravel too, he just zoomed off. I would have liked to have swapped bikes at that point.

Jamezo
27th June 2006, 23:20
Ghey.

(Sorry, opinion...)

riffer
28th June 2006, 13:21
Hmmm... maybe, but it sounds like it holds the road a bit better than an RG150 ...

Str8 Jacket
28th June 2006, 13:23
Where oh where is Sels?

XTC
28th June 2006, 13:23
RG = Really Gay......

Jamezo
28th June 2006, 15:45
Hmmm... maybe, but it sounds like it holds the road a bit better than an RG150 ...
oh roffle....

Tiger vs RG150 down the coast side of paecock, smart money's on the RG.

unless, y'know, I'm riding it, and there's a piece of gravel or errant cager within 15 kilometres.

James Deuce
28th June 2006, 16:33
oh roffle....

unless, y'know, I'm riding it, and there's a piece of gravel or errant cager within 15 kilometres.

Mine's not. The Tiger would thrash an RG150 down there.

GR81
28th June 2006, 16:39
ma uncle has a 197x Triumph Tiger 100
does that count? ;)

Scouse
28th June 2006, 16:55
Iv'e got a Speed Triple same engine but bored out just a tad more to take it from 955 to 1050 and its fuckin fantastic lots of get up and go and very nimble

Jamezo
28th June 2006, 17:19
Mine's not. The Tiger would thrash an RG150 down there.
Find a willing Tiger owner in two months or so and give me a call....:)

Blackbird
28th June 2006, 17:48
Folks,

Keen to get some opinions on how you find the tiger, how well made it is and how reliable it is. Appreciate your views.

John,

I think I might have a Tiger test somewhere-will have a look. You're not thinking of swapping your lovely blue beast for it are you? Err... you haven't binned it and haven't let on?:innocent:

James Deuce
28th June 2006, 18:55

Sels would be happy to provide the learn you so desperately seek.

Oscar
28th June 2006, 20:53
Big Dave is the man fer Trumpys.
I hear good things about 'em.

Ps. As part of the crew that took the Trumpy Scrambler to Wellington for KR, I can recommend that as a alternative...

Big Dave
28th June 2006, 22:06
Thank you Oscar - as you may have observed there is a similar discussion taking place at ADV rider - my comments there were:

The Tiger is a really good motorcycle.
I don't own one because of the aesthetics. I just don't like its looks much, but it's hard to fault as an all round motorcycle.

They run with the guys on 955i sportsbikes up to 180kph (more if you are happy to chew the filler cap), are pretty cabable on the dirt because there is a good range of tyres available, comfortable, have a great motor, good luggage - stick a race can on it and it's honey to listen to and they are pretty good on passenger comfort and very good touring.

The standard back shock is a shocker. Stick something decent on it and.....niiiice bike.

There are plenty of blokes who find them good looking as well.

bit of a photo report here:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/sthtig/sthtiger.html

Hammer
29th June 2006, 20:39
John,

I think I might have a Tiger test somewhere-will have a look. You're not thinking of swapping your lovely blue beast for it are you? Err... you haven't binned it and haven't let on?:innocent:

No Sir Mr Blackbird, honest I have not binned the beast. Sort of wanting to get out the back blocks a bit more. Would love to keep it and get an adventure bike but new home has priority - can't have everything. Not committed yet but am giving it some serious thought.

tigs
30th June 2006, 20:36
I just had to join KB to post an opinion about Tigers. Well I have owned one for almost 3 years and bought it because it offered a large capacity adventure bike that was comfortable and capable of touring 2up and carry our camping gear and luggage. Previously owned a couple of Transalps and a Dominator but see no need to change at present. But its big, but then so are all big adventure bikes. Had a few small niggles repaired under warranty but we have covered a few of the SI backroads (well the famous ones) plus a lot of gravel in the NI. And so far, we love it.

98tls
30th June 2006, 20:40
Just a thought....have you looked at the new Buell adventure bike option...have heard some good things about them.

Edbear
30th June 2006, 20:53
bit of a photo report here:
http://www.davidcohen.co.nz/sthtig/sthtiger.html

Well done! Nice! Just makes me more frustrated that I can't get down there for a while!<_<

warewolf
2nd July 2006, 19:10
I had a used '94 model for 20,000km. Fantastic "real world" bike. The shock on those was perhaps the best of the first batch of New Triumphs - but was not carried forward to the newer models.

The Tiger has improved with each revamp.

As well made and reliable as all the new Triumphs.

sels1
2nd July 2006, 19:46
Oh God, now we have to listen to Sels bang on and on again. Sigh.

Dont be harsh Jim, just cause you cant touch the ground on one.......:bleh:

Yes the Tiger is good bike, if thats the sort of thing you are after. Very comfortable neutral riding position, very good 2 up. Add the panniers/topbox and you can carry heaps of gear. The new 955i are a bit more road oriantated than the older ones. They are a tall bike, you would want to be around 6ft upwards. They are good on gravel roads and rough roads but are not really a trailbike - would suggest a 650 single (F650, XT, XR etc) if you want to do the dirty stuff. Reliabilty not a problem. Great fuel range - good for those long backroads with no servos
Before I bought mine a had a wee holiday in Nelson and hired one for the day from Thunderbike ( www.Thunderbike.co.nz ) and went 2 up over Takaka and loved it.
Most of the Tiger owners I have met really love them but I guess its like buying shoes - you gotta get something that fits you
Feel free to pm me if you want more info

sels1
2nd July 2006, 20:11
oh roffle....

Yeah there is often washed down rocks and gravel on that road, I ride it regularly, last time was a couple of hrs ago. Rode up there with an RG with a good rider aboard a few weeks ago. Waited for him at the top.....

Troll
2nd July 2006, 20:19
triumph are moving a lot of their production to Thailand to produce complete bikes

make up your own mind as to what that will do to the quality control

Jamezo
2nd July 2006, 21:36
Yeah there is often washed down rocks and gravel on that road, I ride it regularly, last time was a couple of hrs ago. Rode up there with an RG with a good rider aboard a few weeks ago. Waited for him at the top.....
hence why I said *down* :P less about HP, more about lines/balls.

I'll have to practise the road when I achieve locomotion again. personally I prefer it to the takas, though I've only ridden it a deuce of times. (sacrilege on both counts!?)

Shadows
2nd July 2006, 22:33
Everything I've heard about them says that they are excellent bikes. The only thing that lets them down a bit is that new Triumph parts can be very expensive which can make them very easily "written off" rather than repaired, even if only put down at a low speed. I guess if you're insured that doesn't matter too much.

sels1
3rd July 2006, 08:01
hence why I said *down* :P less about HP, more about lines/balls.

Which is more about the skill of the rider than the quality of the bike but I see where you're coming from.

Big Dave
3rd July 2006, 08:52
triumph are moving a lot of their production to Thailand to produce complete bikes

make up your own mind as to what that will do to the quality control

Only the Bonneville range at this stage.
Components are already sourced world wide anyway.

It won't make any difference.

Macktheknife
3rd July 2006, 15:05
I took one out for a test ride and loved it, after getting used to the braking that is. I would love to own one but the budget just wont quite stretch yet.

Big Dave
3rd July 2006, 15:31

I'll have a piece of that.
I've rolled up, smoked and spat out a lot harder chargers than a RG150 on one.
Any time.

Hammer
11th July 2006, 19:54
Thanks for the posts folks.

zadok
5th December 2006, 08:27
Interesting read on the Tiger. I am still awaiting the cheque from the insurance company, but I've got an '03 Tiger lined up, same colour scheme as the one Big Dave rode in the S.I.
35k, Panniers, R.J's Top Box, Tank Bag, Scott Oiler, Power Commander, Radiator Guard, Staintune Muffler, Sheepskin Seat Cover.:love:

oldrider
5th December 2006, 14:09
There are not many dud bikes around these days, just a wealth of choices to be made to satisfy ones preference, purpose and purse.

Make sure you buy what "you" want, rather than someone else's choice, nothing more satisfying than making up ones own mind. :yes: Cheers John.

riffer
5th December 2006, 14:52
Well, well, well...

Looks like Triumph have almost abandoned the idea of an adventure bike and gone the way of the German Streetfighter with the 2007 model.

High flat bars, kicked up tail - personally I like the look of the new model.

But I'm a bit of a Triumph lover...

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=180

Lou Girardin
5th December 2006, 17:05
The current one doesn't seem to have weaknesses and it's a steal at the new price with bags and heated grips.
I'm seriously considering the '07 model. It's getting great reviews from the first to ride them. It's like a Speed triple with practicallity.

topher
6th December 2006, 20:27
I've had the '93 model and now have a '96. Same bike really, changed because the newer one had the full locking luggage and new discs, pads, sprockets and chains that the old one needed. The price difference to change bikes was heaps less than the parts hence...

I'm 5'10" and 75Kg (Anyone else find it odd how people have imperial heights and metric weights?) and the bike's fine, just don't stop on a steep camber road and put the left foot down. The 955i gets much better mileage per tank than my older carburetted model but I like the looks of the first model tiger much better. The new one looks fantastic - I wonder how it copes with gravel roads though.

They're pretty bullet-proof engines - current one done 110,000km and still nice and tight. Fantastic bike for touring or exploring I'll replace it with another if it ever wears out (earlier if girlie softens her penny-pinching heart. So it'll be if the current bike wears out then:crybaby: )

And, yes that is a sheepskin on the blue '93 Tiger - it's a bloody long ride from Hamilton to Mahia and back via lake Waikaremoana, I've got over being a hard bastard and am settling more for comfort in my old age. The pic of the black bike's on 90 mile beach.

warewolf
6th December 2006, 21:03
I'm 5'10" and 75Kg (Anyone else find it odd how people have imperial heights and metric weights?)Dunno what you mean? I'm 172cm and 67kg or is that 5'7" and 10 1/2 stone? :dodge:

And, yes that is a sheepskin on the blue '93 Tiger - it's a bloody long ride from Hamilton to Mahia and back via lake Waikaremoana, I've got over being a hard bastard and am settling more for comfort in my old age.I reckon the '94 Tiger was one of the most comfy bikes I've had. Fantastic rear shock, deep seat, excellent ergos and wind protection. What more do you want? :rockon: When I did AKL-Mahia and back via Waikaremoana I don't recall ever thinking about being hard...apart from getting wood...but I was enjoying the return trip enough to get the front discs blue on the big descent on the north end :Punk: Just a bit too keen with the throttle on the corner exits. :innocent:

The Tiger was also lower than my Trophy when seated. Unladen it was a might taller though, and therefore more difficult to push around and park.

Edbear
7th December 2006, 06:18
Dunno what you mean? I'm 172cm and 67kg or is that 5'7" and 10 1/2 stone? :dodge:

'Cause 93kg sounds better than 200lbs...:yes: