PDA

View Full Version : My first time at Manfeild

HDTboy
28th June 2006, 10:25
Part one:

I heard about the Shaun Harris Track Day months ago, and thought "Nah, I won't bother, it'll be too expensive." About a month after that, Keystone19 let me in on a secret plan -thanks KS- which I put to the back of my mind. When I got my 400 going I thought "Yeah, a few trackdays would be fun." I managed to score a place on Frostys' TD3 with less than a week to spare. My little brother and I thoroughly enjoyed that day even though I had a gentle lowside.

Straightened the bike back out and went for a ride with a few mates around the CoroGP the next weekend. When we stopped for the night, their chatter about the SHTD reminded me, and roused my interest. When Speedmedic posted that there was a spare spot going, I was encouraged by the local friendlies (r4q2 and Eman) to place a bid. I bid, and I won.

The weekend prior to SHTD, I rode down to Manfield through snow, ice, and an icy stop by the 5-Oh to watch the racing. I met Mikey, and Sugilite, and got a nice photo of TSs dirtbike.

Now that I had a spot on the Trackday, I organised a hire van for Goblin and I. Goblin arranged accomodation for Friday night and we were sorted.

Picked up the van at 4pm Friday, loaded up with bikes and gear, then proceeded to boogie on down not sure which roads were open. Goblin started knocking back the bourbonsjust out of Rotorua, and had a merry glow on by the time we reached the snow. Saw a couple of bikes parked in Taihape, so we stopped to see who it was, didn't recognise anyone in the resteraunt (CaN) so we kept on trucking. Got to Sugilites place and crashed out.

cowpoos
28th June 2006, 11:01
wow man thats an awesome right up....you though of becoming a writer for kids novels?

emaN
28th June 2006, 11:06
Good so far Tboy - where's the other 5 pages?!
not gonna leave us "hangin'" are ya?!

:niceone:

Matt Bleck
28th June 2006, 11:17
I was encouraged by the local friendlies (r4q2 and Eman) to place a bid. I bid, and I won.

I'm not your friend

HDTboy
28th June 2006, 12:34
Part two: Saturday Morning

Got up early, cruised over to Feilding and grabbed McShit for breakfast. Unloaded the bikes and began talking shit. Signed onand listened intently to Shauns "Hi, don't crash" introduction speech. As we walked the track, Motoracer, Texmo and I stuck as close as we could to Shaun to hear what he had to say. Walking the track was an awesome idea, one which I'll have to do with any new track now that I know what to look for.

On the bike, and out to try and find some decent lines. I had a few moments with losses of traction, but enjoyed myself. Went faster in the second session, and faster again in the third. This was the session I was happiest with my pace.

After lunch I got sick of waiting for the track to dry out, so I headed out and waited for my tyres to warm up. I got progressively faster in the damp conditions until I ran out of gas. Came off the track, grabbed my wallet and raced over to the servo. Fuelled up, threw my wallet at Goblin and got back out on the track. Warmed my tyres up then went hard until I got tired. As I pulled into the pits next to Motoracer, I cheekily asked if he wanted to swap bikes. When he said yes, I jumped on his R6, fuelled it up, and got my booty onto the track as quick as I could.

A bit of Background info. Prior to Saturday, the fastest bike I'd ridden was my 400, and before that, my 250.
Riding my first 600 was an eye opener, the R6 felt so tall compared to my bike. When I shifted with the shift light, things were semi-fast. Then I realised where the redline was, and started riding it like it was my bike. Man, that thing is quick! The straights got shorter, and I found it hard to keep to my same braking points, it spun up over the white lines along the starting grid, and was generally scarier than my bike in every way. I love it!!!! I was told later that riding a thou is the same sort of jump again.

When I came in from the final session, I had a bit of a yarn with Andrew Stroud, and his protoge Matt. I was flattered when Andrew told me I'd been doing well out in the damp. It made it even better for me that it was my first time on a 600, which was a mates bike, and one I couldn't afford to crash.

As Goblin and I were loading the bikes, Mental Trousers came over to tell us about the bbq at the Raceway Motel. We finished loading the bikes and went to buy supplies. When I showed up at the motel with a box of Oranjeboom, I copped a lot of flak from cowpoos the heathen, he didn't even know what it was.

HDTboy
28th June 2006, 12:35
I'm not your friend
I never said you were, just a local friendly

Matt Bleck
28th June 2006, 12:44
I never said you were, just a local friendly

:finger: Hows that for friendly!!!

HDTboy
28th June 2006, 15:43
Part three: Saturday night

Saturday night was a story in itself. I went to have a shower, but had to wait for Mikey to have a mud. After I'd had my shower, I heard a rumour that Flame wished to play with my bum. Being the nice guy that I am, I had to offer it up to her. Rossi Gal was looking for bottles to fill her empty box (I don't know where she put them all).

The time came for the Young Bucks to head into Palmy North for a night on the town. On the way some idiot nominated playing corners on a straight piece of road. Texmo duly supplied us with some corners, and all was good till Mikey dislocated his shoulder. It was sickening hearing him put it back in.

The day at the track had chapped my lips, I realised this when I ordered a shot of Chartreuseand felt like I'd had petrol mouthwash. I had to flush my mouth with a few Red Bull & Jagermeisters. We met a group of girls and strated convesations. Piggy backing the girls across town was hard on the quads after a day throwing bikes around. When closing time came, Motoracer couldn't find his jacket. Thanks to the bar staff at The Empire he got it back. We caught a taxi back to the motel and thought we'd be able to catch the end of the MotoGP, unfortunately everyone else was asleep. We got as much sleep as we could with Gareth_Ds snoring.

In the morning Goblin and I thought it'd be a good idea for her to drive home. I'm glad she did, cause when we hit black ice I wouldn't have handled it as well as she did. I tried to do what I could for the guys with the wheelless trailer, but wasn't much help.

All in all, I had an awesome weekend. Thanks to Shaun, Jason, and Andrew for their tips, and thanks to everyone who was there for making it happen. If I didn't mention you, don't take it personally as this was already long enough

texmo
28th June 2006, 17:39
I would say you did well but you couldnt even seem to keep up with the 250.

HDTboy
29th June 2006, 10:13
Too true buddy, you absolutely wasted me. We'll compare lap times on the 22nd huh?

emaN
29th June 2006, 10:37
I tried to do what I could for the guys with the wheelless trailer, but wasn't much help.

if i'd known they could'a crashed at mine...!

Well now Tboy; at no point did you mention getting 'learned' by a 2fiddy!!!! just 'happened' to leave that one out, did we? :wait:

MikeyG
29th June 2006, 11:03
[B]grabbed McShit for breakfast

I thought McShit was when you just went in to use the crapper. When they say you have to buy something to use the loo and you tell them you will after then don't buy anything, that's a McShit with Lies

texmo
29th June 2006, 13:16
Too true buddy, you absolutely wasted me. We'll compare lap times on the 22nd huh?
Lap times? bugger that if I am there I will be racing in f3 aswell as streetstock. Will be making the most of the time I have.

HDTboy
29th June 2006, 15:14
You're on fucker. I'm buying a new rear tyre this weekend

mikey
29th June 2006, 15:20
Part three: Saturday night

The time came for the Young Bucks to head into Palmy North for a night on the town. On the way some idiot nominated playing corners on a straight piece of road. Texmo duly supplied us with some corners, and all was good till Mikey dislocated his shoulder. It was sickening hearing him put it back in.

We got as much sleep as we could with Gareth_Ds snoring.

you dislocated my shoulder! and man that cunt snores, suprised he doesnt wake himself up

kiwifruit
29th June 2006, 15:36
You're on fucker. I'm buying a new rear tyre this weekend

that will make a shite load of difference!
saw you sliding round a few times :lol:

Motoracer
29th June 2006, 15:56
Nice write up bro! First you pass Andrew Stroud in Taupo on the inside with your ratty 400, then you borrow my 600 and smoke him in Manfield in the wet! You must be some sort of a riding god. :not:

Nice pimping skills at night time too!

See ya Saturday hot shot! :doobey:

Goblin
29th June 2006, 17:25
When I showed up at the motel with a box of Oranjeboom, I copped a lot of flak from cowpoos the heathen, he didn't even know what it was.
I see you remembered the Dutch beer, but did you forget about the Dutch Van? Went something like a Dutch Oven...only it was a van:sick:

Matt Bleck
29th June 2006, 18:53
Nice write up bro! First you pass Andrew Stroud in Taupo on the inside with your ratty 400, then you borrow my 600 and smoke him in Manfield in the wet! You must be some sort of a riding god. :not:

you too ha? thats all I heard from his mouth on sunday..:yawn:

vtec
1st July 2006, 00:17
That was sweet man. Damn it sounds like you can have a better time at trackdays than you do racing... I suppose you've got less pressure.