PDA

View Full Version : This forum needs support..... what's this?

rogson
28th June 2006, 19:55
Turning roaders into dual or all-purpose bikes is a fun part of adventure biking.

This is my Suzuki Freewind (XF650) with all the plastic bodywork around the tank removed, but with the headlight fairing still in place. Looks unfinished as you would expect, but I think Suzuki would have sold more of them if they had styled them along these lines. I have a 21" front wheel that I put-on for rides that comprise significant gravel/off road but, as photographed, it has the 19" wheel with the standard mudguard.

Much like the DR650? Not really, the Freewind has the 19" front wheel as mentioned above, a bigger (18.5 litre - and its plastic!) tank, a lower, wider, longer more comfortable seat that has genuine pillion capability, a carrier with integrated grab handles and a more powerful (top-end) twin carb version of the 650 single engine.

bell
28th June 2006, 20:07
That seat alone would make me choose this bike over a DR650!

Transalper
29th June 2006, 09:34
Like to see it in adventure mode with the 21inch wheel on please.

Badcat
29th June 2006, 09:58
these bikes are brilliant, but i agree they are too covered in plastic.
i'm still looking for a cheap crashed one.

K

rogson
29th June 2006, 10:03
Like to see it in adventure mode with the 21inch wheel on please.

See http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=438156#post438156 for a picture of it with the 21" front wheel and the full bodywork.

I don't have a picture of the bike with the 21" wheel sans bodywork but I'm planning to go "naked" next adventure ride and will have the 21" wheel on for that, so will post a picture then. I find the bike a lot more comfortable to ride without the bodywork. The tank is scalloped on each side which allows me to tuck my knees in and it gives it a much slimmer feel. It also feels more dirt-bikey and the slimmer mid-section seems to enable me to sit further forward, so it will be interesting to see if that gives me more confidence in the gravel/dirt.

clint640
29th June 2006, 14:19
It looks good like that, if you made some little panels to fill in the gap between the front of the ribbing on the tank & the front fairing it would look damn cool.

Cheers
Clint

Wolf
30th June 2006, 22:47
Looks great, rogson. An excellent idea taking the plastic off, looks like an ideal adventure bike.

rogson
1st July 2006, 08:20
........i'm still looking for a cheap crashed one.

Might be hard to find - only 40 or so total sold in NZ.
There's an expensive non-crashed one currently FS at Colemans.