PDA

View Full Version : My first time on a track.(Manfeild 24.06.06)

Goblin
28th June 2006, 21:34
Since I had months to stew about it I was rather nervous to say the least. Had made plans to ride down with mates & have them come watch & help out. A few days before, the plans turned to custard due to snow so it was good timing that HDTboy wanted to take the bikes rather than ride(thanks to his bad experience the prevoius weekend). Thursday night I kissed my kids goodbye & said see ya Monday. Woohoo!! 4 days freedom! Got a text from HDTboy asking if I wouldn't mind helping him deliver a car to Hamilton on Friday before we left. I was ready first thing in the morning and wanting to get on the road ASAP. The weather had picked up somewhat so decided to ride to Hams to drop the car off. Had a good ride over but my bike was struggling 2up on the way home. Got the van, loaded up & we were off.

Since I had no kids to worry about and wasn't driving, I thought why not crack a bourbon. So many firsts were ahead of me & I was buzzing like a kid at xmas. The Doomaluckas had disappeared & the Ohakune road was open so we made good time on the road. Arrived at Sugilite's around elevensies & chilled out with a well needed cuppa & bed for the night.:2thumbsup Huge THANKS for the hospitality.:rockon:

Off to the track & the scenery just blew me away. The wind farm was friggin huge!!! (another first for me) Lucky I wasn't driving & got to take it all in. The Manawatu gorge was pretty cool too....next time will be on two wheels. Got to the track & unloaded the bikes, signed the dotted line & listened intently to Mr Harris & Mr McEwan on the walk. Split into appropriate groups and ended up being the first bike onto the track. Took it real easy at first as I DID NOT WANT TO BIN! Found the exit to turn 5 extremely slippery so tried to change my line. Fell in love with turn 2 after a couple of laps. After reading a few negative comments on the surface & seeing it at walking pace, I can only say that it's no worse than most of the roads I ride anyway. I thought the sessions could have been 5 mins longer as I was just warming up when it was all over.(maybe that's just a female thing) Was told it was lunchtime so HDTboy & I toodled off to the supermarket & I missed one session. Light rain came & I was too chicken to get wet. Once it stopped I ventured out in the "all in" session. Felt really cool to be on the same track with all the "Fast" people, not to mention Mr Stroud himself fly past me. As the track dried out my confidence grew but I still had the "DONT FFS BIN!" firmly in my mind. Was the coolest first trackday I could have hoped for and know I can push it a fair bit harder on a dry track. Roll on Taupo!!! I was the last one off the track too...hehe.

Packed up & headed for the Motel. Watched the young ones doing young ones things......:laugh: and had a bit of a munch. Cool to yak with Girlygirl, awesome chick,:niceone: your a lucky man stiffy! All the people I met were awesome! Was too knackered to stay up late so buggered off to sleep...funny when everyone crept in all quiet....then Gareth_d starts snoring like a freight train.

Sunday morning & I was feeling fine! Although I am a good driver, my sense of direction is hopeless. Thanks to HDTboy's directions we had a good drive home. Hitting black ice was another first for me. We'd just past a 4wd on its roof so had slowed down considerably. Freaky feeling having NO control whatsoever!:gob: Came across another upsidedown 4wd & counted my blessings. Got back to Vegas & unloaded, said thanks:spudwave: to HTDboy. Veged out on KB for a wee while then got the text to pick up kids :doh: Had tea with them & got the text from gareth/texmo & co....could only offer them a couch & floor, sorry guys, I couldnt even feed them as I hadn't even shopped for us. Was a pleasure to help out & glad you all got home safe!

All up, the weekend went off! This has been the start of a long time ambition to race. I have even secured a bike(1990 ZXR400) and my first sponsor. Look foward to seeing you all again at Taupo.:rockon:

chanceyy
28th June 2006, 21:44
Awesome to met ya Goblin .... will be out to joing you next yr :D .. did damn well girl .. was great to see ya buzzing at the end of the day

Goblin
28th June 2006, 21:47
was cool to meet you too:yes: and thanks heaps for timing me.

chanceyy
28th June 2006, 21:51
was cool to meet you too:yes: and thanks heaps for timing me.

grins no problem .. & when i time you next you will be shit loads faster .. :D:D :rockon:

limbimtimwim
28th June 2006, 22:00
After reading a few negative comments on the surface & seeing it at walking pace, I can only say that it's no worse than most of the roads I ride anywayWait till you have a go on Taupo. That's magic. It's fun aye, I was explosively happy after my first track day. Coming to think of it, I've only had 1.25 track days. Great to read you had a good time.

Goblin
28th June 2006, 22:51
grins no problem .. & when i time you next you will be shit loads faster .. :D:D :rockon:
So ya coming to Taupo for TD4? It's not til November so you might be too busy on your own bike:blip:

For sure limbimtimwim...:D Im still grinning. Cant wait to do Taupo ;)

sugilite
28th June 2006, 22:58
All up, the weekend went off! This has been the start of a long time ambition to race. I have even secured a bike(1990 ZXR400) and my first sponsor. Look foward to seeing you all again at Taupo.:rockon:
WHAT????:gob: :gob: :gob: Like when did that happen?
Let me be the first to welcome to the green fold!

Great write up, it was great to see you out there, you were flowing really nicely, so well done!

kiwifruit
28th June 2006, 23:15
So we'll see you at Taupo on the 28th of next month then? :blip:

Goblin
28th June 2006, 23:24
WHAT????:gob: :gob: :gob: Like when did that happen?
Let me be the first to welcome to the green fold!

Great write up, it was great to see you out there, you were flowing really nicely, so well done!
Should be all systems go:yes: There is a plan!
Thanks for the welcome ;) I've owned 2 green machines before. Both were great bikes. Cheers for the kind words too.

Kiwifruit....will do my best to get there:yes:

T.W.R
28th June 2006, 23:40
:doobey: Told Ya you'd have a brilliant time :yes: :nya:

chanceyy
29th June 2006, 06:59
So ya coming to Taupo for TD4? It's not til November so you might be too busy on your own bike:blip:

For sure limbimtimwim...:D Im still grinning. Cant wait to do Taupo ;)

Yuppers depending on dates and work .. i will be there for sure .. will not be getting bike til next yr ... gotta talk to the neighbour .. he is our local instructor .. and my bosses hubby .. (funny that !!!) get basic handling under belt onwards & upwards :D

Fishy
29th June 2006, 08:20
Awesome stuff Kelly :niceone: Must have been a buzz eh.

Motoracer
29th June 2006, 10:21
Good on ya Kelly! From what I could see, you were doing great. Thanks a mill for letting us crash on Sunday night.

In a room full of guys sleeping close together, I got a little worried when some thing started poking me in the middle of the night. When I turned on the light, I was much relived to see your cat walking away. lol

Hopefully, I'll catch you on the 1st of July.

emaN
29th June 2006, 11:11
I have even secured a bike(1990 ZXR400) and my first sponsor.

yee ha!!!
look forward to seeing a few peeps :gob: when they see you ride that thing!!

nothing like keeping it shiny side up on yer 1st trackday! leaves you amped & psychologically ready for the next one, aye?

Well done Gob!

HDTboy
29th June 2006, 12:36
In a room full of guys sleeping close together, I got a little worried when some thing started poking me in the middle of the night. When I turned on the light, I was much relived to see your cat walking away. lol
Don't lie, I know who you hoped it was.

Kelly if you get your licence in time, you could join me and texmo at Manfield on the 22nd

Scouse
29th June 2006, 16:57
Great to see you had a good time Kel I bet you gave a few people the learn eh might see you on Saturday on the Meatfest ride

Goblin
29th June 2006, 17:17
Great to see you had a good time Kel I bet you gave a few people the learn eh might see you on Saturday on the Meatfest ride
Don't know about giving anyone the learn....but I learned alot.

Kelly if you get your licence in time, you could join me and texmo at Manfield on the 22nd
As much as I want to, I cant see it happening until summer. BTW Which MCC did you join to get the licence?

Good on ya Kelly! From what I could see, you were doing great. Thanks a mill for letting us crash on Sunday night.
Thanks for the encouraging words & you guys are welcome anytime.:yes:

Thanks emaN & Fishslayer for your support too:rockon: Hope to see ya'll Saturday.

HDTboy
29th June 2006, 17:21
I joined Pacific. but if you PM svs, he's the secretary of Victoria

Goblin
29th June 2006, 17:29
I joined Pacific. but if you PM svs, he's the secretary of Victoria:niceone: Cheers!

Oh and thanks to all for the lovely comments & rep:blip: