PDA

View Full Version : Panniers - Is there anything available for Dirtbikes?

Zukin
28th June 2006, 22:26
Hi there

Just curious is there any other option other than Venturer, when it comes to Panniers to fit onto a dirtbike?

I need 2 x sets? to fit on a DRZ250 Suzuki

Or would it be easier to custom make some?
Any ideas?

Cheers

far queue
28th June 2006, 22:42
Here ya go, this is a Ventura pack rack and bag, and soft pannier bags from motomail. I also use a magnetic tank bag at times, but I would guess a DRZ250 would have a plastic tank?

Jantar
28th June 2006, 22:59
GIVI have a universal fitting for their Wingrack. Then there is a large range of GIVI panniers that will fit.

Zukin
28th June 2006, 23:01
Hey
Thanks for that, much apprecitated.
Yep the tank is plastic, so cant use a tank bag there.

How much stuff do you fit in the panniers?
And can I see in one of the pictures what looks like a heat shield on the exhaust, as that is the next issue I need to sort out I guess??

Cheers

ZeroIndex
28th June 2006, 23:12
Hey
Thanks for that, much apprecitated.
Yep the tank is plastic, so cant use a tank bag there.

And can I see in one of the pictures what looks like a heat shield on the exhaust, as that is the next issue I need to sort out I guess??

Cheers
you could always go for the strap-on tank bag..

clint640
29th June 2006, 08:56
I've got an old set of soft panniers, 35L ea maybe. They attach with cheap plastic clips (carry spares) & sit on some simple steel rails that I made which follow the line of the rear sidepanels from the carrier down to where the pax footpeg used to be. I never carry a passenger so the bags sit well forward & I hardly notice they are there. The bags are almost buggered now, I think I'll replace them with these:

http://www.andystrapz.com/expedition_panniers.htm

I've got a strap on KTM tankbag which is great for short trips & around town but sucks for long trips & offroad as it makes it difficult to stand up properly. If you get a tankbag make sure it is a small one.

Cheers
Clint

far queue
29th June 2006, 09:15
Lots, sometimes I just use the panniers. However sometimes I use the panniers, both Ventura bags on the rack, and a tankbag. It depends on the trip - how long I'll be away, where I'm going, what I plan to do when I get there and so on. I do seem to take a lot more shit with me these days, that isn't really neccessary. The panniers alone can carry everything I need for a rally if I just take the necessities, and the tent tied on the back.

The DR650 comes with the heatshield as standard, but the panniers will still push the side cover into the muffler where there's no heatshield and melt the sidecover. After I melted it the first time, I added an extra support bracket to hold the sidecover away from the muffler - no problems now.

clint640
29th June 2006, 11:56
Here's some shots of my luggage racks:

Cheers
Clint

laRIKin
29th June 2006, 18:58
We use Ventura pack rack and bags.
On my KTM I made some bars to hold the bags out of the rear wheel etc.
And on the DR I cut up some 150mm Ally pipe to make another heat shied to go over the a original one so not to burn the bags and put a extra rubber bung to keep the back of the right side side panel from melting.

rogson
29th June 2006, 20:05
Here's some shots of my luggage racks:

I have seen Clint's set-up and its very tidy. Keeps weight low and balanced. And, you don't have to be a contortionist to get your leg over the seat, unlike with anything mounted on or behind the seat.

XP@
30th June 2006, 11:05
I've got an old set of soft panniers, 35L ea maybe. They attach with cheap plastic clips (carry spares) & sit on some simple steel rails that I made which follow the line of the rear sidepanels from the carrier down to where the pax footpeg used to be. I never carry a passenger so the bags sit well forward & I hardly notice they are there. The bags are almost buggered now, I think I'll replace them with these:

http://www.andystrapz.com/expedition_panniers.htm

I've got a strap on KTM tankbag which is great for short trips & around town but sucks for long trips & offroad as it makes it difficult to stand up properly. If you get a tankbag make sure it is a small one.

Cheers
Clint
I've had BFO aluminium panniers (home made) they were awsome, you could ride over them, use them as a step up, eat dinner off them, they reflected like a truck, waterproof (except in hokitika) and you could fit enough gear for 2 people camping for a week.

Downside: they were f'ing heavy, no, really f'ing heavy!

Second to the alu-panniers are a pair of german soft bags I was given. velcro over the top of the seat. A tad small for 2 camping but ok for 2 backpacking. and whilst you can ride over them everything inside breaks.

If I needed some more bags, Andyz look like the way to go. I am considering one if his tank bagz.

or look here for your addon bitz http://www.touratech.de/new/main.php?sprache=2

Oh, and with your tank bag... small is good, some large bags can beep your horn if you turn the bars too much. And if they can beep your horn then they can push the start button. If they can do then then they can produce embarassement too!

laRIKin
1st July 2006, 09:43
I like the idea of aluminium panniers for more road riding as they can be locked.

We do have Give's for the road bikes.

For off road riding we went for soft luggage.

After thinking about what could may happen to a leg that gets rammed or flicked back hard in to a aluminium pannier.
Would you just get a bad bruised or break it in a bad crash?
And have been told that they can dig in jurying a crash.
And if you clip a tree there is no give and down you go.

A soft bag with no (real) corners sounded better to us.
The down side is that you have to pack to save any thing that could break in a crash.

Just a thought.

Henk
1st July 2006, 23:42
We use a couple of day packs clipped together and slung over the back of the bike. Can get a sleeping bag, self inflating mattress, camp pillow and towel in each one. Leaves plenty of space in the pack for everything else with the tent bungied to the back of the bike and you have a couple of day packs to take walking at the other end if that's your cup of tea. Strap them to the subframe to stop them moving about.

Zukin
3rd July 2006, 09:28
I like the idea of aluminium panniers for more road riding as they can be locked.

We do have Give's for the road bikes.

For off road riding we went for soft luggage.

After thinking about what could may happen to a leg that gets rammed or flicked back hard in to a aluminium pannier.
Would you just get a bad bruised or break it in a bad crash?
And have been told that they can dig in jurying a crash.
And if you clip a tree there is no give and down you go.

A soft bag with no (real) corners sounded better to us.
The down side is that you have to pack to save any thing that could break in a crash.

Just a thought.

Haha, the only thing I would be worried about breaking in a crash is ME :gob:

Yes after talking to a few people about the Hard vs soft panniers and they had changed form Hard to Soft, for the reasons you have stated above, in particular the falling off and crushing your leg bit!
Plus I think on a dirtbike they are overkill, especially here in NZ.
But in the Outback maybe a different story??

laRIKin
3rd July 2006, 18:57
I read some where that you must use the Ally panniers in some countries.
Because if you don't you run the risk of some bastards slashing open you bags to pinch your gear.
And that is even if you are riding the bike at the time.

Zukin
27th July 2006, 10:08
Ok

Here is what I am want to do?
Am I on the right track?

I will get the Ventura Rack for the XR, then on this rack weld some 10mm Steel Pannier Racks to it to keep the Panniers off the plastics (and the exhaust).
Whilst I dont particluary want to use the Rack itself (other than to tie the tent onto) I will use the Pannier racks and panniers most of the time.

I agree with what Clint640 said about the pack rack, as I too prefer to swing my leg over the bike.

I dont think the XR has passenger footegs, but I will see how we go.