PDA

View Full Version : Visor fog insert life

slopster
28th June 2006, 23:28
Last winter I brought a visor fog insert (oxford) and put it on a brand new visor. Im pretty confident that I got a good seal and it worked well. This winter it doesn't seem to be working very well at all. I'm not even convinced that it is better than the visor would be anyway. It still appears to have a seal. I expect a bit of fogging at low speed, but when I ride on the open road in the cold particularly at night I have to really slow down my breathing to prevent the fogging or open the visor slightly but it snaps shut at about 100kmh anyway. Anyone else find that the fog inserts dont last.

Highlander
28th June 2006, 23:36
Mine is a Fog City insert.
I'm not convinced the seal is particularly great but it has lasted a year no problems at all. Still working well.

Big Dave
28th June 2006, 23:49
I got 2 winters out of a fog city - seal and fogging not the issue - scratches and wear and tear made it cloudy.

Shoei's pinlock system is my preferred option now.

Clivoris
29th June 2006, 21:54
Pinlock is absolutely brilliant on my X-lite. But, the insert tends to rub against the visor when you open and close it. Eventually it scratches it enough to be unuseable.

SPman
30th June 2006, 13:20
Had a Pro grip, which I liked and a Fog City which wasn't as good, IMO.
I did find a bit of a problem with sun strike though, the inserts seem to exacerbate the effect, somewhat.

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 13:22
try cleaning the thing mine stopped working but a little clean with a paper towel and water fixed it right up!

Macktheknife
30th June 2006, 13:26
I bought a Uvex helmet, they NEVER fog. brilliant

MikeyG
30th June 2006, 15:52
I put in a Progrip fog insert this week. The instructions say to replace annually

Storm
30th June 2006, 17:22
I have one which is still good after about 3 years. I got one of those breath deflector things that jams into the front of the helmets chinpiece(inside the visor ) and have no worries

NinjaBoy
30th June 2006, 17:35
yep.. have an oxford as well and previously had a fog city one. I found that the Oxford wasn't as good with its sticky seal only on the edge.

The Fog city was much better in all but the extreme slow city riding in rain situations.

Flatcap
30th June 2006, 18:32
I have one which is still good after about 3 years. I got one of those breath deflector things that jams into the front of the helmets chinpiece(inside the visor ) and have no worries

Those breath deflector wotsits - do they fit most helmets? What do they cost?

diggydog
30th June 2006, 18:48
should'nt the vents in your helmet prevent your visor from fogging up.

Grahameeboy
30th June 2006, 19:05
should'nt the vents in your helmet prevent your visor from fogging up.

You would think so but I guess the nose is pretty close to visor and the warm breathed air wins...generally I find when moving the vents work but not when you stop.

My Fogcity works well...not a 100% seal but good enough

Storm
30th June 2006, 21:02
I got mine off a mate- he didnt want it in his, so sorry, I'm no help there :(
Just scrounge round any generous KBers in your neck of the woods or ask at your local bike shop