PDA

View Full Version : RF400 - respraying fairings...

Dark Crystal
28th June 2006, 23:30
Hi ppl,

New to the forum... look forward to catching up with ya's...

Just brought an RF400.. has a few scatches from a lowspeed drop.. so i'm thinking i'll get all the fairings resprayed - tailpiece, sides, bottom and front.. Any one have any idea of what it's worth to spray a bike?? Colour is a factory maroon colour. The Frame and tank are fine...

N4CR
28th June 2006, 23:37
Single colour will set you back around 1k for a good job. That's single colour incl pearl and 2 or so clear coats including stickers. Multi colour eg original colours will be around 1.8k because it takes alot longer to do multiple layers.

Cyclecolour in rotongaro rd in huntly.. check 'em in the phone book.

Welcome to the site by the way.. never seen the rf400 only the 900 and 600s.

justsomeguy
28th June 2006, 23:41
Welcome :yes:

Try Anything Plastic as well for a quote.

http://www.yellow.co.nz/site/anythingplastic/

Dark Crystal
2nd July 2006, 08:57
thanks for the replies... deffintily don't wanna spend 1K... thinking about doing the job myself now.. iv'e got a little experience with spraying, but have never painted plastic... any thing i should know??

rustys
2nd July 2006, 10:17
Hi DC, Iam not the best at repairing and repainting fairing myself, but over the last couple years have learnt a bit about it,being involved with the racing scene and having to make repairs my self to save some money, its not much of a big deal if your willing to have ago. At the moment i'am doing up two complete sets, one plastic and the other fiberglass, for ZXR 400s.
The plastic one is going on my SP 400 which i'am going to sell in the near future and i'am wanting to make a good job of it.
I am lucky i have a friend who's a car painter, the biggest cost of painting motorcycle fairings is the time you spend rubbing them down, they are so dam fiddley, so I'am doing all the slog.
This has been my prosses.Heat gun all the transfer off, and rub down with an 80 grit wet and dry paper so your first coat of Filler primer has something to key into. Fill any holes chips etc with bog first, sand off, and apply primmer 1st coat. Rub back over with 320 paper and block, fill any more imperfections with filler putty, rub those back down with block and paper, re prime with std primmer, if alls looking good, rub down again with a 120 grit paper and your on your way to you first coat of colour, which is very rewarding after all that work. I also do all the masking work as well as this is all time.
The time it takes for a good painter to apply the coats is actually stuff all, so for the cost of the paint which is not alot and a few beers + a bit of cash,id recomend go find someone who's in the painting game,for the advise on colours,and the write prossess. I purchase all my materials,sand paper,tape filler etc, he supplies the paint.
The next biggest cost is those bloody transfers, another story.
After applying these its all over, with a nice coat of laquer to finish it off.
Go! get into it....:bye:
Having fun and
"GROWING OLD DISGRACEFULLY"

Phenoix
2nd July 2006, 10:30
Yea, as above.
If you want to save money, I just had mine resprayed.
If you do all the sanding to a primer ready coat, its cheap to paint.
But primmer ready means u've wet sanded it so its so smooth.
But the cost of mine was
$40 sandpaper
$60 base paint (Tho you usally want $120 for a litre so you've got some spare)
about $80 worth of primer, thinners, thickens, ect
$120-180 labour to paint it, depending if you sand it again after the primers on or if they do it
So it can be done for around the $300 mark if you do the bulk of it yourself.
But depending on if you sand by hand or with sander, it can take about 20hr total to sand. ( Im slow)

Macktheknife
2nd July 2006, 11:04
Do the prep work yourself, as mentioned above, then go see Greg at North Harbour Collision repairs, offer beer and cash. He will sort you out.
Ph:09 415 2423
Let me know if you are going to do it and I will give him a heads up.

Meanie
2nd July 2006, 12:43
Welcome to the site
I remember seeing my older brother painting his bike tank black with an old electrolux vacume cleaner with a spraypaint attatchment He then proceeded to write "sweet suicide" on it where the decals used to be

zeRax
5th August 2006, 11:50
i thought you needed special flexi paint? which is why i thought paint cost a hell of a lot more than this ???

if u make a good job of it will just good quality paint flake off of fairings ?

zeRax
16th August 2006, 19:49
still wondering.............

bugjuice
16th August 2006, 21:07
give streethawk a PM. He's just given back my fairings and they're better than factory and I'm shocked at how bloody cheap it is for the work..

you might be surprised..

crazefox
17th August 2006, 21:55
mate i will do a full re spray any colour you want 2 pac clear and paint for 650