PDA

View Full Version : Legalities of bike buying

Colapop
29th June 2006, 18:15
What are the legalities of buying a bike? Are bike shops legally required to ensure you have the correct lisence to buy the bike? What about private sellers, can they be held accountable for somebody buying a bike that is outside their lisence restrictions? Are then any other legalities that should be considered (along these lines)?
This is not to do with physical things such as outlined in Sarges sticky "Buying a used motorcycle" (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=26572)

::edit:: thanks for the correct forum move, mods.

The_Dover
29th June 2006, 18:17
No. Buy away.

Two Smoker
29th June 2006, 18:18
What are the legalities of buying a bike? Are bike shops legally required to ensure you have the correct lisence to buy the bike? What about private sellers, can they be held accountable for somebody buying a bike that is outside their lisence restrictions? Are then any other legalities that should be considered (along these lines)?
This is not to do with physical things such as outlined in Sarges sticky "Buying a used motorcycle" (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=26572)

Yes and no...

Yes if it is financed...
No if you pay cash...
No if you know the dealer well...

Wouldn't have thought so.

Obviously you can't test ride without the correct license, but other than that it's all good... after all, what's to say you're not buying that R1 for track day use?

Drunken Monkey
29th June 2006, 18:20
...Obviously you can't test ride without the correct license, ...

No, you can test ride the bike without the correct endorsements, it's just that you shall not as you would be breaking the law. /pedant mode over.

Madness
29th June 2006, 18:25
Nope, except if financed.

Always thought it weird that ya can buy a vehicle without showing correct licence and ya can make a baby without any clue whatsoever. Want to buy a .22 for killing vermon without a licence - forget it!

The_Dover
29th June 2006, 18:28
Want to buy a .22 for killing vermon without a licence - forget it!

Yeah, but what did vermon ever do to you?

He's an ok dude.

Madness
29th June 2006, 18:33
Yeah, but what did vermon ever do to you?

He's an ok dude.

He ate all my fucking cheese, that's what. :angry:

cowboyz
29th June 2006, 18:35
it is my understnading you can purchase whatever you like. Finance whatever you like. You can go buy the latest and greatest bike without a licence and finance it to the hilt if you want to. Where it falls over is insurance. If a bike shop lets you test ride a bike without a licence and you stack it then their insurance will not pay out. The same with financing/insurance. It is a condition of insurance companies that if they lend you the money to buy a bike it has to be insured. You can't get insurance without a licence. I surpose if your keen enough you could nominate that the bike is for someone else and have it insured for them riding it only but that doesn't help you out if you stack it and then you have to get the insurance company to swallow it in the first place. Although Finance and insurance companies are differnet identities they are very much in each others pockets.

Madness
29th June 2006, 18:40
Finance whatever you like. You can go buy the latest and greatest bike without a licence and finance it to the hilt if you want to. Where it falls over is insurance.

You'll probably find most Financiers will want verification of Insurance cover at the time of processing the sale agreement/payout approval to dealers. Finance companies do not always however recieve notification from Insurers when cover is cancelled at the request of the policy holder....

FROSTY
29th June 2006, 18:51
Short version--wrong class of licence you stack it either test riding or finance and insurance wont pay out.

Colapop
29th June 2006, 21:05
a)What are the legalities of buying a bike?
b)Are bike shops legally required to ensure you have the correct lisence to buy the bike?
c)What about private sellers, can they be held accountable for somebody buying a bike that is outside their lisence restrictions?
d)Are then any other legalities that should be considered (along these lines)?

So, the way I read the answers so far is;
a) Anyone can buy a bike if they want.
b) As long as you don't stack the bike on a test ride they don't what lisence you got. The difference would come if you financed your bike.
c) Private sellers have no obligations unless it is to their own insurance company/s - once again if you stack it on a test ride they won't be covered and you won't liable (unless they take you to claims court)
d) No-one has really answered this....

James Deuce
29th June 2006, 21:27
You can buy a motor vehicle without a license.

EVERY, and I mean EVERY bike shop where I have ever been graciously allowed to almost crash, err test ride, a bike as asked to see my license, has written the details down and explained that if there is anything dodgy about my license and I crash the test bike, well I just bought it.

They've also pointed out the $2000 excess.

I've never been asked for a license by a car dealer. Interesting, eh?

Other legalities? If you break the law when test riding a bike you will be held responsible - except for a speed camera. Then the mug to whom the bike is registered gets the mystery envelope from LTNZ. The bike has to have a current WOF and rego if it is to be even parked on the road, let alone ridden.

Swoop
30th June 2006, 09:00
What Jim2 said!

I know a cage dealer who stated that if dealers got fussy about only selling to a licenced person, they would go out of business very quickly. The amount of overseas students who show up at the yard with wads of cash and no licence... If told to piss off, they just walk to the next yard until the sale is done.

Is anyone surprised that unlicenced drivers are on our roads killing people?

Insanity_rules
30th June 2006, 09:25
Correct. I (Albeit very stupidly) rode without a licence and bought and sold bikes like they were going out of fashion. Only one shop asked to see my licence and that was TSS, after I got it too so was only to proud to fork it over.