PDA

View Full Version : Red reflectors on the back.

FROSTY
29th June 2006, 21:40
Folks Just a lil note--those red reflectors on the back of the bike.--Theyre there to possibly save ya life. A blown taillight bulb on most bikes and your bikes basicly invisible-- I know a lot of you fit fender eliminators but It might pay to keep this in mind

Gremlin
29th June 2006, 21:50
For those with eliminators... depending on how you do it, you do have the option of sticky red reflection... I believe they should be everywhere....

Zapf
29th June 2006, 22:52
I can get those reflectors as stickers in the following colours. Red / Yellow / Blue / Black and White. While all the colours reflect at the colour they are normally the Black and White ones reflect white to head lights / torch lights

bobsmith
30th June 2006, 08:17
I thought you had to have reflectors for wof?????

Flyingpony
30th June 2006, 08:39
Folks Just a lil note -- A blown taillight bulb on most bikes and your bikes basicly invisible
It's amazing how many bikes ride around with blown tail lights and they become virtually invisible then.

Every night I check my tail bulb still works basically because it's dark in the garage and I use that light source to lock up the bike. Once a week all other lights are checked too, gives me something to do while waiting for the westcoast long coal train to go past.

fender eliminator
What is that?

emaN
30th June 2006, 09:17
fender eliminator = a hacksaw

nodrog
30th June 2006, 09:20
I thought you had to have reflectors for wof?????

you thought right.

Highlander
2nd July 2006, 20:05
I used the red reflective tape to put a smiley face on the back of my (red) helmet.

mikey
2nd July 2006, 22:23
what should i do frosty?

my race bike aint got no lights an the reflector looked gay.

gay as a coffin.

so i threw it out.

classic zed
6th July 2006, 13:19
The Virm states it must have at least 1 red rearward facing reflector and it must be visible from 100 metres.:yes:

Robbo
6th July 2006, 15:00
Good call Frosty. A rear facing reflector is worth it's weight in gold dust at night if your tail light bulb is'nt working. Just as an added safety net, you could also consider fitting an LED Stop/Tail light bulb into your rear light. I have done this with mine as they are virtually indestructable with a very long life span. One other advantage is that there is virtually no current draw on your stop light, this will eliminate any damage occuring to the contacts on your brake switches, especially when stopped on a hill at a red light with one or both brakes engaged.
Cheers

Robbo

GR81
6th July 2006, 16:27
I can get those reflectors as stickers in the following colours. Red where do i sign up?

XP@
6th July 2006, 23:22
From the purveyours of strange Motorcycle gadgets we have the helmet mounted stop light:

http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/Web-Pages/helmet_stop_light.htm

Zapf
7th July 2006, 03:18
From the purveyours of strange Motorcycle gadgets we have the helmet mounted stop light:

http://www.challengermotors.co.nz/Web-Pages/helmet_stop_light.htm

lol. I designed one when I was back in School... all of like 10 years ago :)

Zapf
7th July 2006, 03:24
where do i sign up?

How much are you after? e.g mm x mm

GR81
7th July 2006, 09:40
How much are you after? e.g mm x mm
something roughly 200mm x 10-15mm to run along the bottom of the number plate.
prolly an akward size tho :(

Hellraiser
7th July 2006, 14:12
yeah i'd be keen on a reflector that could be stuck on the bottom edge of the number plate.

Macktheknife
7th July 2006, 15:05
Pick up a packet from super-cheap or Repco, only a few dollars.

GR81
7th July 2006, 16:34
Pick up a packet from super-cheap or Repco, only a few dollars.im lazy! :(

Zapf
7th July 2006, 16:51
Pick up a packet from super-cheap or Repco, only a few dollars.

what do they sell?

Macktheknife
7th July 2006, 17:01
what do they sell?
Reflectors of different colours, red, orange, blue, green, yellow

Hellraiser
10th July 2006, 11:33
dose anyone know it there's a min size that the reflector has to meet?

nodrog
10th July 2006, 11:38
dose anyone know it there's a min size that the reflector has to meet?

it must be visible from 100m i think.

Hellraiser
10th July 2006, 12:06
I'm trying to get rid of all the shit on the back of my 636 as you can see of ditched the indicators, i think i've found a LED tail light and i've just mounted the reflectors would these be too small then ......

Korea
11th July 2006, 02:02
I'm trying to get rid of all the shit on the back of my 636
Yeah, seems like your numberplate is covered in some sticky black poos. :blah:

paturoa
11th July 2006, 02:52
Yeah, seems like your numberplate is covered in some sticky black poos. :blah:

looks like its all over his bike:yes:

sAsLEX
11th July 2006, 08:25
what do they sell?

Little adhesive and srew attachable red reflectors that have the required safety numbers on them, does the 3m reflecy tape have any associated standards with it?

Zapf
11th July 2006, 15:52
Little adhesive and srew attachable red reflectors that have the required safety numbers on them, does the 3m reflecy tape have any associated standards with it?

Link (http://www3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/graphicarts/scotchprint/node_X934H2MNF7be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_K9JT0N94GJge/gvel_D02KW58F0Tgl/theme_us_scotchprint_3_0/command_AbcPageHandler/output_html)

Not really... but its so much better than any cheap reflectors... the black stuff is as good as the white background of the number plates...

Photo1
In the photo the white reflective stuff is normally black under normal light / daylight. But it is bright as the plate when under head lights or flash. And look at the red reflector on the far right.... its no where as reflective.

Photo2
reflective tape under normal light.

Falconer
13th July 2006, 20:09
So I added 2 high level break lights on each side of the top box. My worry was that when you apply the brakes it only varied the tail light brilliance so during daylight hard to differentiate for the average cager.

98tls
13th July 2006, 20:20
i got away with a strip this size...just cut a piece i bought in 1/2..got a warrent ok.

therealvw
10th May 2007, 17:33
Those are very good and Valid ideas. Does anyone know of anywhere that does teh WHITE or Silver reflective strips, I'm after putting them on my Front fork casings. No good if you've got USD ones, but my little SV doesn't. I'd need a big ish sheet though, as doeing it with lots of little strips could be a hassle. I'm also thining it could protect the fork casing a bit too!
Ian