PDA

View Full Version : Which heated grips??? Yeah! first real thread in this forum!

bobsmith
30th June 2006, 08:58
Hi guys...

I believe this is the first real thread in this forum... I thought it was appropriate since zzr250 is going to be used for commuting and it's not exactly most sporty of bikes... also it is about heated grips.......

Now I'm seriously thinking heated grips, and I am faced with two choices, Oxford heated grips, and the motomail one. Oxford heated grips are $119 and the motomail one is $109 + shipping so the price is going to be about the same... Now I would like to hear from people who have used either of the grips and tell me good/bad things about each... I understand both have variable heat control, and both go in place of normal grips and they will need installation...

can anyone suggest a installation method as well? I was thinking about hardwiring it into battery with a fuse for itself but I'm afraid of leaving it on and draining the battery and I fear that if I plug it into the igniton key, it might draw too much current and blow a fuse...

Thanks

SimJen
30th June 2006, 09:04
I saw the oxford ones at my local shop also come with a free neck tube...
If wiring in to the ignition, use a relay with a seperate supply direct from battery.

Rashika
30th June 2006, 09:13
Oxford are great.
Easy to install.
Work VERY well.
Have a variable heat so you can have it hot or cold or anywhere inbetween, about halfway is plenty hot enough even in the shitty/cold weather we have down here.
DONT hardwire to battery... just too chancy, mine we just wired to an auxillary connection in the fusebox that was available.
Exactly how it was done, Dangerous would have to tell you that, but it was straightforward.
The tricky part was finding a suitable place for the switch to sit, there aren't many ideal spots on the Buell frame, but we got it to stay. The double sided tape works very well for the switch.
Dont use ALL the glue that comes with it for attaching the grips, cos thats when you get it all over your fingers eh K14? :blip:
We had to cut the old grips off, so once thats done theres no going back... but you wont want to.
They are comfy to use, have a good grip feel, and I LUV 'em!

Transalper
30th June 2006, 09:57
I put the Oxfords on the missus GSX before the Brass Monkey. They cost us $105 here.
They come with their own inline fuse rated at 3amps and are said to draw no more than 2amps so i stuck em on an accessory wire that shares the main Headlight fuse (rated 10amps) and no problems. We kept the 3amp fuse in the line.
So far they are goooood.

The_Dover
30th June 2006, 10:12
How long do they take to install and how tricky?

Might chuck some on the 750 for Vic as she always bitches about cold hands, and we're sposed to be heading to the spitroast special tomorrow.

I can be all hard and keep them switched off when I'm commuting on it though.

inlinefour
30th June 2006, 10:32
I thought I was going soft when I went down to the bike shop and got some oxford liners to go inside my MX gloves. Then I read that others are complaining about them not being good enough? I rode home at midnight last night and it was none too warm, however my hands stayed nice and warm with the new liners on. I can also wear them under my plain leather gloves which I have for the summer months. As far as getting heated grips? I doubt if I'll ever do that and Im sure Burt Munro wouldnt either. Is it that cold where you come from or are you and AKLer who complains about anything?

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 10:49
Is it that cold where you come from or are you and AKLer who complains about anything?

nah he just rides a Suzuki!

The_Dover
30th June 2006, 10:51
Not for me you fuckwits.

For the Mrs who also rides the 750 when I'm not using it.

Nothing soft will be going near my thou.

Except maybe grass and fields.

inlinefour
30th June 2006, 10:59
nah he just rides a Suzuki!

That would explain a bit, although I was riding the DRZ to and from work yesterday and looks like I'll be doing it again.

Oh and Dover, stop making excuses, we all know sheep cannot ride bikes...:nya:

The_Dover
30th June 2006, 11:12
Oh and Dover, stop making excuses, we all know sheep cannot ride bikes...:nya:

Ain't that a stroke of luck for the naki boys??

You'd never get a root if they did cos they'd outrun you:nya:

bobsmith
30th June 2006, 11:13
I thought I was going soft when I went down to the bike shop and got some oxford liners to go inside my MX gloves. Then I read that others are complaining about them not being good enough? I rode home at midnight last night and it was none too warm, however my hands stayed nice and warm with the new liners on. I can also wear them under my plain leather gloves which I have for the summer months. As far as getting heated grips? I doubt if I'll ever do that and Im sure Burt Munro wouldnt either. Is it that cold where you come from or are you and AKLer who complains about anything?

Well I'm from Auckland, so yeah, I complain about EVERYTHING and oh I also ride a Suzuki... (though this is for a Kawasaki) This bloody town is too cold and too flat, I wanna go back to the North Shore.....

[EDIT] - no wonder they call it the suicide capital...

inlinefour
30th June 2006, 13:32
Well I'm from Auckland, so yeah, I complain about EVERYTHING and oh I also ride a Suzuki... (though this is for a Kawasaki) This bloody town is too cold and too flat, I wanna go back to the North Shore.....

[EDIT] - no wonder they call it the suicide capital...

Don't ya know, kawasaki and suzuki are made by the same crowd eh. Know what your saying about AKL, what a preformance when the power went out for a few hours...

Dover, I understand completely now why you have the two suzuki gixxers that you have. I guess there are none that get away from you eh. I must have missed the sheep thing as I was too busy riding bikes when they did that class...:shutup:

The_Dover
30th June 2006, 14:09
Damn right none get away. I'm like Hannibal Lecter on heat.

blacksheep
30th June 2006, 19:16
i bought some merino inners they work fine its not THAT cold is it? to need heated grips?:cold: :cold: :shutup:

paturoa
30th June 2006, 19:52
I got and fitted some of the motomail ones

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=28291

They work OK, but comparing to Rashika's on the Brass, I'd say hers were better.

oldrider
30th June 2006, 20:15
I confess, today I was in town (Oamaru) and while going past the local Honda agents shop I made an impulsive decision.
The Oxford hot grips will be fitted next time I am in town!
I have never liked them in the past because when tried out they made my hands too hot.
The last ride I had in the hoar frost convinced me I am getting too soft and my hands hurt like hell while they were thawing out!
So next week, Oxfords will be on the bike! :yes: Cheers, chicken John. :blip:

paturoa
30th June 2006, 20:19
....The last ride I had in the hoar frost convinced me I am getting too soft and my hands hurt like hell while they were thawing out!

Did the rest of you also hurt while thawing out?

Rekon you'd also need a heated seat, helmit, jacket, trou and boots too!

phantom
1st July 2006, 09:20
Put the Oxford ones on my GB, hardest part was finding somewhere to put the switch, certainly get bloody hot when they are on full, perhaps that's for when you need to fit them to a snowmobile

bell
1st July 2006, 10:36
Just fitted some of the wrap around/velcro on/off Oxford Hot Hands and they're plenty warm.
Benefits: keep original grips, less stuffing about with installation, useful amounts of wire and the switchwork looks sturdy.
Cons: too warm sometimes - riding for an hour with them on gets uncomfortable as your hands will start to sweat (but on a really cold day you might get away with it), they do add a fair bit of bulk to the grip and that took some getting used to.
$129.
Could be worth a look for you?

bobsmith
1st July 2006, 11:16
Thank you everyone for your opinions and thanks bell for your suggestion... I have seen them but I wanted something a bit more permeanent... I think oxford hot grip is the go, just ordered a pair...

Oakie
1st July 2006, 17:03
Well I was going to suggest you look at the Daytona grips too (which I've got) but as you've already ordered grips, I'm not going to say anything now. Goodbye

pritch
2nd July 2006, 10:18
I have the Oxford grips and basically I'm happy with them.
The control knob has currently ceased to function but is being replaced under warranty.

Unfortunately the replacement hadn't arrived in time for the sheepfeast ride,
conditions on parts of that were a bit extreme and not having the grips functioning made me determined to fit them to all future bikes.

You can be tough, or you can be comfortable - no contest :whistle:

inlinefour
2nd July 2006, 14:21
I have the Oxford grips and basically I'm happy with them.
The control knob has currently ceased to function but is being replaced under warranty.

Unfortunately the replacement hadn't arrived in time for the sheepfeast ride,
conditions on parts of that were a bit extreme and not having the grips functioning made me determined to fit them to all future bikes.

You can be tough, or you can be comfortable - no contest :whistle:
Id lost all feeling in the lower parts of my fingers when we all stopped at the top of Mt Messenger. The oxford liners where great to keep on while I had my hand planted firmly on about the lower end of the DRZs motor. Hands warmer mighty quick...:yes:

ajturbo
3rd July 2006, 09:26
when i used to live in Nelson and trip around the south Island ... i had heated grips and an ELECTRIC VEST..... mmmmm was i all warm and cosy...

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 09:30
and an ELECTRIC VEST....

My vest I had on for the sheep ride worked remarkably well! Plus it got me recognised in Otrahonga when the bike died and got me a lift all the way back home!

bobsmith
3rd July 2006, 09:50
ELECTRIC VEST..... mmmmm was i all warm and cosy...

Nice Where do you get those????

Do they give you a nice jolt whenever you're getting tired too?

Hitcher
3rd July 2006, 13:32
I vote for "other", the permanently mounted Daytona types. There is little point fannying around with anything less. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, and the Daytonas aren't that much more expensive than the Oxford dishcloths, without having to worry about cables flapping or plugs breaking, or people knicking them...

Rashika
3rd July 2006, 15:48
I vote for "other", the permanently mounted Daytona types. There is little point fannying around with anything less. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for, and the Daytonas aren't that much more expensive than the Oxford dishcloths, without having to worry about cables flapping or plugs breaking, or people knicking them...
The oxfords are permanently mounted too. Think there are 2 types available, the ones I have (Oxfords) are permanent. I looked at the Daytonas as well, and was told by a couple of sources that the Oxfords were better due to the variable temp control.

sAsLEX
3rd July 2006, 15:51
The oxfords are permanently mounted too. Think there are 2 types available, the ones I have (Oxfords) are permanent. I looked at the Daytonas as well, and was told by a couple of sources that the Oxfords were better due to the variable temp control.

Oxford make a blanket type that wrap around existing grips and can be removed

Rashika
3rd July 2006, 15:55
Oxford make a blanket type that wrap around existing grips and can be removed
yup, thats what I figured :yes:

Transalper
4th July 2006, 20:05
ELECTRIC VEST..... mmmmm was i all warm and cosy...

So yes, where do you get a heated vest from?... for the missus again of course.

raster
4th July 2006, 20:37
I have Oxford heated grips, took me 1 hour to fit and another hour to figure out where to take the power from. $99 from Botany Honda.
I decided to take current from ignition acc.
When on full they are too hot but I generally use them on No. 2.
I ended up getting some winter gloves too :nya:
The headlight does flicker slightly on idle when on. Have had no problem with battery.

1 don't run them from the battery, always use ignition source.
2 when removing old grips if you don't want to cut them, use a spoon handle and slide it around the bar. Once the air gets under and glue is broken the grips just slide off.
3 I did not glue the grips on as they fitted so well but when the throttle one got hot it started slipping,(bike was slowing down) I need to put a small about of glue around the bar.

Very happy with them

bobsmith
4th July 2006, 21:56
Just got the grips today and fitted them and I'm very happy with it!

I have blisters on my hand now from trying to fit them (it was very tight fit...) and I took them from ignition as well, didn't have enough space on handle bars to fit the switch so had to fit it on the "inner fairing" (the black bit around speedo, etc.) will post some pics tomorrow if I have time.

pritch
5th July 2006, 13:06
Oxford do make the blanket thingies, but as has been said previously they also make the other (proper) heated grips.

gladrock
5th July 2006, 21:34
After suffering from frozen fingers once too often I looked at the option of heated grips for my minter '81 GS1000G. In my view the grips looked out of place on the bike, but my problem was solved when I found that a guy in Nelson has developed heating units which fit INSIDE the handlebars. They use less 'trickery than an indicator bulb, are easy to fit, are under $100 and work BLOODY BRILLIANTLY!!! I sold the gs1000 for a 95 Wing, and the ONLY extra I have added to it are a set of these beauties. The great thing is that they are invisable and the (small) switch is easily hidden and easy to operate using gloves, so if you have an older or a custom bike, nobody needs to know they are even there..... There are no wires being flexed every time you wring the chicken's neck, so nothing that will eventually fail. Thunderbike in Nelson stock them or know how to get them if there are none left in stock, as the guy who makes them sends most to the States for snowmobiles. And it's not about being a woosie - having toaste warm hands means I can ride throughout the year no matter how cold it is.

Rashika
6th July 2006, 06:52
And it's not about being a woosie - having toaste warm hands means I can ride throughout the year no matter how cold it is.
Totally agree!

Smokin
6th July 2006, 20:29
I wonder how the internal heater would go with clip on bars and weights. Any idea of the diameter of the heater?

ajturbo
6th July 2006, 22:07

Do they give you a nice jolt whenever you're getting tired too?

mine were made in nelson, by Qht industries (think they are in vanguard street)...both my X and i used size S.. but with mine i had to cut the arm holes larger, i did this myself,

ajturbo
6th July 2006, 22:08
I wonder how the internal heater would go with clip on bars and weights. Any idea of the diameter of the heater?

i used these on my gsx750 esd, took out weights, slotted in heaters, drilled sm hole in bars.... replace weights... mmmmm warm hands

Smokin
6th July 2006, 22:12
i used these on my gsx750 esd, took out weights, slotted in heaters, drilled sm hole in bars.... replace weights... mmmmm warm hands

Now you have me interested. :yes:

Hitcher
6th July 2006, 22:16
After suffering from frozen fingers once too often I looked at the option of heated grips for my minter '81 GS1000G. In my view the grips looked out of place on the bike, but my problem was solved when I found that a guy in Nelson has developed heating units which fit INSIDE the handlebars. They use less 'trickery than an indicator bulb, are easy to fit, are under $100 and work BLOODY BRILLIANTLY!!!
Warning. These in-bar units mean you can't fit your bar-end counterweights. They also require a home to be drilled into the bar to let the wiring in. This creates a rust spot. They also take quite a bit longer to heat up than do the Daytonas. However they do mean you can retain your standard grips, if that's your thing.

Transalper
7th July 2006, 09:34
Yea, looked at those myself but i decided i'd better not use them on my bikes because they all have stuff stuffed up the end of the bars already... ie my Barkbuster handguards on the Transalp and endweights on the missus GSX.

Smokin
7th July 2006, 22:22
Good point, may be best not to remove the weights. Thanks for the advice.

ajturbo
8th July 2006, 09:03
Now you have me interested. :yes:
just a note, my weights were hanging off the end of the bar, no weights were on the inside of the bars...
i was up north in 87, crusing around and lost one weight while on a gravel rd, didn't know till i hit the seal... and after 20ks of gravel, i was NOT going to go look for it... they need weights...:blah:

bobsmith
8th July 2006, 11:09
Hmmm my zzr doesn't even have end bar weights, the bat it self is rounded at the end so that there is no hole to put the weights in.

re5rotary
20th August 2006, 21:42
Hi I have tried both the Daytona and Oxford grips. The Daytona has a nicer and more compact switch assy than the Oxford one which is a bit big and bulky. However the Oxford grips put out much more heat and Ive even had to turn them off occasionally as they were too hot! not something I could ever say about the Daytonas. Terry

bobsmith
20th August 2006, 23:23
Sorry guys, I realised, I never updated what I got...

I ended up getting the oxford ones and they're absolutely great!!!

I love the variable heat since depending on the day, I do have to adjust it (usually about half way on cold days...) infact in a couple of rides I've done on really cold days (read hail stones and the whole deal) I've had to turn it all the way to full, and then I was wondering if it was working peoperly (since it didn't seem all that hot with my gloves on... usually it's quite hot at half way..) of course, that was until I tried to ride for 2 minutes without it.... (read freezing hands within the minute of turning it off...)

So if anyone's interested I'd recommend the oxford ones! (unless someone else puts one out with variable heat as well... the switch IS very bulky and the grips were fairly hard to put on...

skelstar
21st August 2006, 00:49
Ha... my homemade ones burnt both my hands this last weekend. Blaming the Akl traffic. Both hands are blistered :).

Smokin
21st August 2006, 09:42
Ha... my homemade ones burnt both my hands this last weekend. Blaming the Akl traffic. Both hands are blistered :).

you should never ever make them out of petrol.