PDA

View Full Version : Frosty mirrors

Tigger
27th May 2004, 08:53
Brrr! It's cold this morning! :cold:

The last couple of mornings on my way to work over the Haywards Hill, I've found my mirrors suddenly fog up as I go through the really frosty areas. Combine that with the sunstrike I get as I'm going east and I feel like I've suddenly gone blind. :shit: Anyone have any good ideas of what I can put on the mirrors so I can at least see what's behind me?

And does anyone know if I can get a tinted visor for a Nolan 100E?

Thanks!

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 09:08
thre are antifog products you can buy that seem to work well

James Deuce
27th May 2004, 09:12
Spit. Saliva works brilliantly to stop fogging.

The following link will give you all the visor options for the N100E

http://www.nolan.it/caschi/Accessori/Accessori_list.asp?SFAM=N100E

Marknz
27th May 2004, 09:17
The V8 Supercar teams use those little bottles of shampoo from their motels to stop the screens fogging up. They smear it on in a very thin layer and that seems to do the job for them. I personally haven't tried it on my bike mirrors cause I've never had the need.

FzerozeroT
27th May 2004, 09:19
Toothpaste works well too,those RainX anti fog wipes/solution are crap. and can melt plastic!

pete376403
27th May 2004, 09:32
Rubbing the cut surface of a potato onto the inside of visors is supposed to stop visors fogging (never tried it), might work with mirrors.

Sk8r_Boi_
27th May 2004, 09:41
My mirrors never get frosty but my helmet visor does and it really annoying......DAMN IT WHY ME! :argh:

pete376403
27th May 2004, 10:11
It is condensation from your breath. You have to stop breathing when you ride. Easy

James Deuce
27th May 2004, 10:15
Just ordered the smoked anti fog insert for my N100E from Motorad. $35. Just the thing for riding into a winter sun on a chilly morning.

boris
27th May 2004, 11:24
i normal ride in sun glasses,never had fogging mirrors,but have used rain x anti fogg in the bathroom mirror and it worked ok.But was wiped off when cleaned.

Tigger
27th May 2004, 11:33
Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I think I'll try the 'spit' technique on the way home tonight, and then look into some of the other suggestions over the weekend.

It's such a beautiful day out there now, perfect for riding. :sunny: Just wish I was heading home (the long way) now, rather than tonight when it's going to be all cold and dark and frosty again.

F5 Dave
27th May 2004, 14:39
Yeah it is nice, but if I took the arvo off I’d feel compelled to go work in the garage (several bike projects need attn).

Can’t say I’ve ever had the bike mirrors fog up, at least not that I remember or didn’t stay clean with a wipe of the finger. If you do use soap or polish it needs to be polished off.

Jim I’d be interested how you get on with the visor insert. I tried one once but it bugged the crap out of me in short order.

Since getting contacts yonks ago I hate going back to wearing glasses in a helmet. They fog easy & smaller frames of today make it hard to focus when your helmet moves them a bit up or whatever.

James Deuce
27th May 2004, 14:42
Yeah it is nice, but if I took the arvo off I’d feel compelled to go work in the garage (several bike projects need attn).

Can’t say I’ve ever had the bike mirrors fog up, at least not that I remember or didn’t stay clean with a wipe of the finger. If you do use soap or polish it needs to be polished off.

Jim I’d be interested how you get on with the visor insert. I tried one once but it bugged the crap out of me in short order.

Since getting contacts yonks ago I hate going back to wearing glasses in a helmet. They fog easy & smaller frames of today make it hard to focus when your helmet moves them a bit up or whatever.

I have the clear one in there at the moment and it is practically invisible, and does stop the visor from fogging. Edit: forgot to mention - Nolan N100E helmets are designed to use Nolan's own insert which is just brilliant.

speedpro
27th May 2004, 15:54
"Handy Andy" is the stuff. Try it on mirrors in the bathroom. Wipe it on then off but leave a little bit. I think it's something called a surfactant which has the desireable effect.

SPman
27th May 2004, 16:08
I have the clear one in there at the moment and it is practically invisible, and does stop the visor from fogging. I got a Pro Grip insert in time for the Cold Kiwi last year and it was brilliant.Has a very light tint that darkens slightly in bright sunlight, so not to bad at night. two hours of constant rain and not a vestige of fogging up.

LB
28th May 2004, 05:44
My mirrors occasionally fog up in the cold too.

My visor's fine as I've got Fog City on both my clear and mirror visors - brilliant product that!!

Dave
28th May 2004, 15:21
Dish washing liquid, I have used it on visors and mx goggles for years.
Rub it on and rub it in a bit until its clear and it will last quite a while before you need to re apply it

Tigger
28th May 2004, 15:56
The dish washing liquid sounds like a good (and cheap) option! But I must say the spit has been working particularly well over the last two mornings. :niceone: I don't think I'll have any trouble tonight as it's just starting to rain. :crybaby: Next I'll be needing advice on how to repair a couple of holes in the seat before all this rain gets in there......

Thanks for all your helpful hints!

wkid_one
28th May 2004, 16:05
Just use pledge or plexus - both work fine. My Shoei Z_one NEVER fogged once while I had it......my HJC fogged like a bastard tho - Fog City solved that problem right quick smart

F5 Dave
28th May 2004, 16:21
Holes are a pain, if you put tape on it will invariably slip with the stretch of you sitting on it, then attach the glue residue to the rest of the known world.

Plastic bag, but then send the seat to Charmans (website) (http://www.charmans.co.nz/) or someone to recover it. They do a wide range of models, or you could just order a cover & fit it yourself which is pretty easy if the shape isn’t too complex. There are other crowds out there, but I haven’t tried them.