PDA

View Full Version : Cautioned for Lane Splitting today.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 20:08
Welllll, I got it right from the source today.
I've never been glad to get pulled over before - but I was today.

I spent the day filling in for for harry holiday over at kiwi rider and was 'travelling' along the southern on my way home.

Traffic was at a virtual standstill and I had been splitting lanes since spaghetti junction.

I saw the motorcycle cop stationary and checking me out on the layover before Newmarket flyover and continued to split - fully aware that this will truly test the validity of what i have read on KB.

As I have done since participating in the discussion here, I continued unchanged - 20kph tolerance, due care, not trying to piss anyone off and as safely as a reasonably dangerous thing to do allows. (learners - don't do this.)

500mtrs and it's whooop and a flash of Blue and red.
Beauty! even if this costs me - I'll KNOW.

I was officially cautioned for overtaking on the left in the same lane and for failing to use my indicator when moving to the centre lane for the 3 seconds notice. I wasn't ticketed because I was behaving in a reasonable manner, just not quite in accordance with the road code.

Thanks - and Bugger thinks I - because we all know that some vehicles block the right hand passing opportunity and an occasional drift into the 'low side' is unavoidable. Short answer is you must use your indicator and give the 3 seconds and don't overtake on the left or you will be yanked. You just have to wait till you can get by on their right.

However!

In the ensuing 'grilling' what did become evident is that with the current regulations splitting on the right in the inner or 'fast' lane (observing the rules stated above) is acceptable.

The thin shoulder lane between the dividing barrier and the lanes is designated for an emergency and that if you have to go into it to avoid a vehicle it would be 'an emergency.'

So - please, no cheesedicks screaming up the middle doing ghost rider impressions of you'll f*ck it for everyone. But the way it works now is you can split lanes - against the median in the fast lane - overtaking on the right - as long as it's within 20kph of flow, sensible, duly considerate and you observe the road code and you can use the emergency lane if you absolutely have to in avoiding another vehicle.
The other 2 lanes can be split also - but you must not pass on the left in the same lane and you have to indicate when swapping.

I reckon I won't get cautioned again - actually feel I'm better off for the chat. even got complemented on how nice my bike was.

And whilst i could not draw a comment about the Bus lane usage issue - they are just not allowed to - I bet if we were at a bar somewhere and he was in civies he would have said - bloody good idea'.

I also got instructions on where to find the media liaison officer and will be following that up with KR hat on for an official response.

But that's as I understand it - all care no responsibility etc - good luck!

dc

paturoa
30th June 2006, 20:15
Prob with on the right of the right lane is that the cages keep to the right in that lane, leaving almost no gap to the emergency strip. So this leaves no room there but heaps between the fast lane and the next over lane.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 20:20
Prob with on the right of the right lane is that the cages keep to the right in that lane, leaving almost no gap to the emergency strip. So this leaves no room there but heaps between the fast lane and the next over lane.

Agree - but that's the rules.
I think there is enough room on the southern when the traffic is absolutely crawling too. so we might be all right 80% of the time!

paturoa
30th June 2006, 20:29
and there is a lot of mway now with no emergency right hand shoulder at all, just the concrete barrier next to the white line

Edbear
30th June 2006, 20:30
Interesting post, BD. It's not often someone will put themselves "at risk" for the sake of clarification and our edification. Glad he was a reasonable sort and tried to explain the rules to you

Personally I am loath to split and usually find I can filter through traffic fairly easily. Of course I am rarely on the bike at 'rush hour' as many who commute by bike are and if I'm in my truck I try to keep an eye out for bikes splitting and move over to facilitate their progress.

Hope the efforts to get access to Bus Lanes is successful as it really is a 'no brainer'!:yes:

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 20:35
and there is a lot of mway now with no emergency right hand shoulder at all, just the concrete barrier next to the white line

so use the other lanes - but don't overtake on the left and indicate when changing.

riffer
30th June 2006, 20:49
Yeah. Nice in theory but in reality the cagers in the left lane stay left, the cagers in the right lane stay right, leaving a safe lane in the middle.

I'll take my chances with the occasional fine for unsafe lane changing rather than some fuckwit taking me out while I'm obeying the law thanks very much.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 21:00
Yeah. Nice in theory but in reality the cagers in the left lane stay left, the cagers in the right lane stay right, leaving a safe lane in the middle.

I'll take my chances with the occasional fine for unsafe lane changing rather than some fuckwit taking me out while I'm obeying the law thanks very much.

Hmm - I hear you - the bits of the motorway I use regularly have reasonably good middle emegency lanes. I feel better knowing I can drift into them occasionally and be within the rules.

I also now know for sure what gets me yanked when I do spot a cop.:innocent:

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 21:01
Yeah but its a dumb law, keep your eyes peeled for the plod, I split in the gap in the far right lane as people hug the right and leave a far safer splitting option on the left of their lane see pic direction of travel up/north from the HB

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 21:03
Did he ride a honda bike?? He must be having fun then... except he had his way with me. First time I have ever been pulled, and I got the $150 fine... :crybaby:

The way cars position themselves in the lane is my biggest gripe. I don't want to be right next to the car (as in almost touching their mirror), I'm pretty damn sure they don't want me right next to them... but... according to the genius law, I have to put myself in danger in order to be safer... stupidity at its best.

The technical arguement about being in blindspots is bullshit. I'm just as much in their blindspot when on the right of another car, a few centimetres to the left, yet suddenly its safer and legal.

When I asked the cop why I should place myself in more danger, he said perhaps I should sit in traffic that is almost stationary.... riiiiiiight, and have my fan running, bike getting extremely hot, and me spending twice/thrice the time it would normally take...

Honestly, I feel safer with some room to move, and cars I have noticed will deliberately try to block my way by sitting on the extreme right of the lane. By law, I would never be able to pass. Do you think I want to be anywhere near a wanker like that?? :shutup:

He's going to keep pinging us, just because he can. I wish he would find another motorway to sit on. I'm going to do my best to move along those routes, if I have to, at non-rush hour periods.

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 21:04
Agree - but that's the rules.

And a dumb rule, they have laws specifically for MW's wrt to the bus issue. Why not a special one the allows passing between rows of traffic rather than this silly to the right of them/left of the line business, dumb laws dont save lives

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 21:06
Honestly, I feel safer with some room to move, and cars I have noticed will deliberately try to block my way by sitting on the extreme right of the lane. By law, I would never be able to pass. Do you think I want to be anywhere near a wanker like that?? :shutup:

They are all failing to keep to the left so maybe the cops can go start enforcing that law before they hammer us!

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 21:16
They are all failing to keep to the left so maybe the cops can go start enforcing that law before they hammer us!

That's valid too - but it's more to do with educating drivers and courtesy perhaps - Kiwi drivers and the way they pull over to let us past on the open road are really very good - I wonder how we can convince them to do it a 15kph?

Clivoris
30th June 2006, 21:28
Chur for that BD. The feds don't seem to be so harsh down here but I always pull back in when I spot them anyway.

Insanity_rules
30th June 2006, 22:02
Thanks for testing the legalities there big dave. Just out of curiosity what were you riding at the time?

I'll have a bit of a test there myself.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 22:07
Thanks for testing the legalities there big dave. Just out of curiosity what were you riding at the time?

I'll have a bit of a test there myself.

My Buell XB12X.

Insanity_rules
30th June 2006, 22:09
My Buell XB12X.

I don't normally like Buells but that XB of yours is the business. Loved the article about it too. What would it be like for a 5'8 (midget) rider?

Drum
30th June 2006, 22:10
Y............. see pic .............

I see you've got the following distances accurately portrayed in your pic too.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 22:13
I don't normally like Buells but that XB of yours is the business. Loved the article about it too. What would it be like for a 5'8 (midget) rider?

I think it would be a bit of a pain honestly - there is a low seat option that has met with favour but I have not seen it.

I'm 6'5" and it's nigh on perfect.

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 22:16
I completely agree with your pic sAsLEX, and I follow that exact same method, because its safest, and I like to be healthy, alive, and in one piece.

And its completely illegal :weird:

I don't understand the justification behind it. Whether you are to the left or right of the dotted lines dividing medium and fast lanes, YOU WOULD IN THEORY, STILL BE IN THE FAST LANE DRIVER'S BLINDSPOT.

Their justification for the law is bullshit.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 22:18

We'll see you at the next BRONZ meeting then?

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 22:20

Oh fuck you need justification for laws?! Well bugger me I think no one has told the LTSA that! Like their new subjective noise laws, which replaced a well written standards tested law, monkeys!

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 22:26
We'll see you at the next BRONZ meeting then?
No, probably not. I'll just piss and moan like an ingrained arsehole, and take it up the tail pipe...

I'm happy to lend my voice, signature to anything, but I couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

And I'll just avoid the cops, either through not being there in the first place, or not remaining there...

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 22:28
I'm happy to lend my voice, signature to anything, but I couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery.

Fair enough too.
Our goal is to develop a communications tool/pathway to make that worth more.

Macktheknife
30th June 2006, 22:28
Good on you BD, way to go, putting your arse on the line for us. I owe you a beer! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 22:42
Good on you BD, way to go, putting your arse on the line for us. I owe you a beer! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

That's not really how it was - but thank you anyway, (a Stella) - I wanted to know.
I have appropriate licence with healthy enough points count, immaculate bike warranted and fully in order (brand new tyres on wednesday even) and genuinely wanted to talk to the guy anyway.

It wasn't a stress - the officer actually knew who I am/what I do (once I took my hat off) and was as informative as he is allowed to be.

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 22:43
Passing on the left is $150 fine, no demerits...

Ixion
30th June 2006, 23:06
Only a fine? No demerits? *checkz* Bugger me , you're right. Well, I'll be a bit more aggressive in future. The slight risk of a fine I am not too fazed by, it's the points that worry me. Well, well. And- same thing for driving in the emergency stopping lane. Well, well.

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 23:08
same thing for driving in the emergency stopping lane. Well, well.
I would suggest you avoid that, not for boring legal reasons, but your highly likely to pick up a puncture out there in the unswept lane (just as Bykey Co pet al), keep to lanes 1a 2a and 3a and then the dirty cages ahead of you have picked up any nasties hopefully

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 23:13
Only a fine? No demerits? *checkz* Bugger me , you're right.
hahahah, yes, of course I am right... I found out the hard way. Extremely factual, blunt etc.

On a side note, plates may not be touched, bar drilling holes. No trimming, nothing. A $200 fine applies, no demerits. Again, found out the hard way :bye:

sAsLEX is right about the crap on hard shoulders etc, although I have never picked up a puncture (of course, I haven't done it either :innocent: ). If you do decide to do this ultra naughty thing, stick as close to the proper lane as possible, as it gets cleaner as you get closer to the normal lane.

jazbug5
30th June 2006, 23:17
This (http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html) is worth a look (interesting article about filtering/safety/stats/uk law)

Gremlin
30th June 2006, 23:25
Interesting, a good read etc, but they actually allow splitting there, and no mention of how you must travel between the medium and fast lanes, which is the crux of the argument.

Catch 22. If we fight this/try to bring it to attention, it may be banned full stop. Don't do anything, and we keep getting pulled for passing on left...

sAsLEX
30th June 2006, 23:44
and we keep getting pulled for passing on left...

How did you get caught?!?

Drum
30th June 2006, 23:45

It wasn't a stress - the officer actually knew who I am/what I do (once I took my hat off) ..................

Is it possible you got treated more leniently due to your star status in the NZ biker scene?

Only justification I can think of for the rule is that if you're up against the barrier, at least they can only come at ya from one side!

On the Hutt to Wellers Motorway the distance between the barrier and the outside lane line wouldnt be more than 300mm.

The attached picture is Transit's "standard" barrier layout. They require a minimum of 1m either side of the median barrier.

Guess theres a few substandard motorways out there.

Big Dave
30th June 2006, 23:53
Is it possible you got treated more leniently due to your star status in the NZ biker scene?

Of course it's possible - I don't think it was the case.
I explained that I was acting in a way I had been advised to be lawful, I was being quite careful and a caution was appropriate with the explanation of the code.

And yeah maybe trying to do the right things payed off too. It frequently does.

St Fuckin' Dave.

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:01
And yeah maybe trying to do the right things payed off too. It frequently does.

Agreed.

Doesn't just apply to biking either.

Big Dave
1st July 2006, 00:14
Agreed.

Doesn't just apply to biking either.

yes
and btw - 'star'! :no: schmuck with lots of buttons. :yes:

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:17
Better polish off yours shoes for the next round of "Dancing with the stars" aye?

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:26
This (http://www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html) is worth a look (interesting article about filtering/safety/stats/uk law)

That's a bloody interesting link (if not a bit lefty/ righty)

For me, lane splitting is a (subconcious) risk assessment exercise that considers gain against risk.

When travelling towards work, reward is low. Gain is high.
When travelling away from work, reward is higher. Gain is still high.
When no work (weekends), I'm not in a hurry. Just gain'n. Reward is highest.

Big Dave
1st July 2006, 00:29
Better polish off yours shoes for the next round of "Dancing with the stars" aye?

Nah - but if they want to make a pilot of 'Partying with the Bikers' - I'll host it.

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:39
Hardly suitable for Sunday night television!

But then, neither were those dresses (not that i watched that show - I was either riding, on KB, or beating up hippies).

Gremlin
1st July 2006, 00:59
How did you get caught?!?
saw me from above the motorway (south of the city, southern motorway) I would assume... probably "undertaking" a car...

Next thing I see is the flashy lights of a police bike in my mirrors, and hoping he's after someone else. Pull into middle lane, but nope, right behind me. Pull over and receive the rodgering....

Big Dave
1st July 2006, 01:03
receive the rodgering....

Welease Wodger.
Wogue and Wapskallion!

sorry.

NinjaBoy
1st July 2006, 12:23
I explained that I was acting in a way I had been advised to be lawful, I was being quite careful and a caution was appropriate with the explanation of the code.

I had the same chat approx 5 months ago on the Southern MW with the same result.

I think the key is that you're splitting in a steady non-aggressive manner. Although looks like they are tightening up on the overtaking on left now. He didn't mention that in my little chat.

McJim
26th July 2006, 14:36
Wow am I glad I read this thread. I've been lane splitting over here coz back in the UK lane splitting forms part of the actual bike test!...i.e. it's expected - it's one of the reasons paople buy bikes and it relieves congestion which is why it is encouraged. If a car blocks you from lane splitting and it's spotted by the cops they are the ones that would get cautioned. I am now well warned about the do's and don'ts. Cool.

emaN
26th July 2006, 14:44
Big McJ,
keep yer eyes peeled; there's lots ya can't do here,that was fine back in 'blighty...

cruising at 80mph is one of 'em.

just pick when/where & you should be ok

Biff
26th July 2006, 15:40
Often when I'm communting to my orifice in the morning I filter, and have never had any issues when I pass cop cars backed up in (what little there is) ChCh rush hour traffic. However I'm often overtaken by a guy or gal riding a Bemmer 650 thingy who choses to go off road around the traffic. I wonder what the legality of doing this is. Sure makes me jealous though.

Thx for the heads-up BD.