PDA

View Full Version : Commuters read this.

Drum
1st July 2006, 00:36
Quote from www.motorcycle-training.f2s.com/filtering.html

Many drivers will choose to move out of your way when they see you filtering, which can often make your life a lot easier. It is important to give them acknowledgement as this makes them feel appreciated and encourages others to follow suite. Likewise if a motorist obstructs you, because they are not paying attention, it is important to be patient and not take risks. Attempting to remove their wing mirror as you pass is not going to help you if you subsequently have an accident a few miles up the road and need sympathetic witnesses. It will also discourage them from taking a positive attitude towards motorcyclists. Many of those who appear obstructive are often not doing it deliberately, but simply haven’t seen you. A friendly double toot of the horn can sometimes encourage them to move. However, there are a small minority of drivers who either think filtering is illegal and dangerous or simply begrudge someone being able make progress while they sit and wait. These people may take deliberate action to block you and you need to be particularly careful of anyone who appears to be blocking deliberately. ..........

Link to information provided by Jazbug5

Clivoris
1st July 2006, 22:19
Damn, that makes sense.

Biff
2nd July 2006, 16:40
I always thank those who obviously move over. Although I admit to giving the one finger salute to those who intentionally block my way due to penis envy.

Korea
3rd July 2006, 03:33
Many drivers will choose to move out of your way when they see you filtering, which can often make your life a lot easier. It is important to give them acknowledgement as this makes them feel appreciated and encourages others to follow suite. Likewise if a motorist obstructs you, because they are not paying attention, it is important to be patient and not take risks. Attempting to remove their wing mirror as you pass is not going to help you

Good call~ getting revenge on cages is only going to lead to another revenge against more riders.
When will the cycle end???:blah:
I've tried both the polite and impolite method of dealing with drivers and have always had more success with the first method...

Someone on KB said that when a car pulled out without indicating he caught up with the driver:
KBer "Your indicator's out mate."
Driver "No it isn't... <tries it> ...see?"
KBer "So USE IT"

I used this the other day and was surprised when the driver smiled sheepishly and said "Ooops, okay. Thankyou!"

Er... of course this was in Korea. I'm sure back home I'd probably be told to f^%$k-off...

Nicksta
3rd July 2006, 05:03
lol.... maybe i'll use that approach, Korea.. sounds polite enough for me.... goood common sense advice thanks Drum.

Lazy7
3rd July 2006, 08:50
I rode into work from the shore for the first time this morning. about 20k along the northern in traffic.

Pretty much split the entire way cause the motorway was a car park.

I only had 1 car move out of my way. And i'm picking he's a biker. (thanks mate)

I had three move into my way. All 40ish men in big engined cars. (losers)

But for the most part - every car was completely oblivious to the fact i was there - until i was past them. ???

I dont understand this. maybe its my driving style - but i have never been surprised by a splitting biker when in my car. i guess riding has trained me to pay more attention on the roads. Most of the people i passed this morning still looked asleep.

Squeak the Rat
3rd July 2006, 09:31
Good advice Drum.

However - if you wear sports gloves, and practice the old 'move the hand slightly to the left of the bars and give a little wave' trick, be aware that the natural curve of the gloves can make two fingers stick out more prominently.

Drivers can mistake this for a two fingered salute. Make sure it's a wave :)

Badcat
3rd July 2006, 09:43
I rode into work from the shore for the first time this morning. about 20k along the northern in traffic.

I only had 1 car move out of my way. And i'm picking he's a biker. (thanks mate)

But for the most part - every car was completely oblivious to the fact i was there - until i was past them. ???

I dont understand this. maybe its my driving style - but i have never been surprised by a splitting biker when in my car. i guess riding has trained me to pay more attention on the roads. Most of the people i passed this morning still looked asleep.

yep - i do northcote - onehunga everyday on the bike.
the falcons and commodores are worth extra attention.
i always try to stay to the hard right while spitting, seems to attract less law enforcement attention.
K

BeakerRAT
3rd July 2006, 09:56
Good advice Drum.

However - if you wear sports gloves, and practice the old 'move the hand slightly to the left of the bars and give a little wave' trick, be aware that the natural curve of the gloves can make two fingers stick out more prominently.

Drivers can mistake this for a two fingered salute. Make sure it's a wave :)

Fair call. I find a nice friendly thumbs up works quite well.:niceone:

Drum
3rd July 2006, 11:17
I......... maybe its my driving style - but i have never been surprised by a splitting biker when in my car. i guess riding has trained me to pay more attention on the roads. .............

I never used to notice lane splitting bikers, but now that I ride as well, I always see them coming.

So I'd say that your above statement is true. Riding makes you a better driver as well.

Bevel
15th July 2006, 09:26

That's why motorcyclist should be able to use the buslanes. It has to be safer than being on the motorway where cars can't see us and we constantly surprise them. Write to Transit NZ or help BRONZ with their campaign to open up the buslanes for motorcyclists. None of Transit NZ arguments about us being safer on the motorway add up. Hopefully with enough submissions we can change their policy.

Buster
15th July 2006, 09:48
I ride the Auckland North Western Motorway every weekday and have noticed that most drivers will move over when they finally notice me. I dont ride more than about 20kph faster than the flow so im not really flying up to them trying to squeeze past, (unless traffic is really slow) more like sitting in each cars mirrors. Sure there are a few dicks out there, but they know they are. Just a dissaproving shake of the head on the way past is enough to shame them infront of other drivers.

avgas
15th July 2006, 10:07
Nah ill just not filter unless i can. been there done that....have the scars and metal

Hawkeye
15th July 2006, 10:14
I split regularly on the commute into Welly. I only do 10 - 15k more than the traffic and only when they are down to 15 - 20k. I do find at times that you have to be patient, as a lot of the time, cages 'wander' in their lane. You can be splitting when the cage moves along side a truck or bus and their natural instinct is to move away from it. If you are splitting just at that moment, you can find the cage appears to be blocking you.
I've scared the sh@^e out of the wife at times in the cage when doing 100k, notice a bike coming up, and moved over to the left to make room.
I've always moved over to let bikes through. If I'm in slow traffic, I am watching the mirrors constantly because I know that bikes are going to come through.
The biggest dicks I seem to come across are the ones that want to race from the lights. You move up to the front of the queue, the lights change and Mr Dick tries to match your take off. So instead of having a gradual increase, you end up trying to get out of their way by opening up.

degrom
27th July 2006, 11:39
Think of you own safety first!!!

Cars weigh a lot more than a bike and the driver won't even feel your pain when they run over you. Use cars to your advantage, staying close to a car can make you more visible even if the other driver only sees the car you are close to first...

Also remember it's the car drivers right, not to give-way to bikes, that's filtering. (Wish they could start doing that to Bicycle riders, they really crank my up!!!)

Cheers.

kiwifruit
27th July 2006, 12:12
Fair call. I find a nice friendly thumbs up works quite well.:niceone:

yep, i do that, i know id be happy to recieve that if i was in a cage

kickingzebra
27th July 2006, 12:45
I'm an advocate of the shaka.
Chur chur Brah!! Aight?!