PDA

View Full Version : How to stop dogs pissing on my bikes!?

bell
1st July 2006, 10:59
Surely someone has some tips for this bastard problem?
My bikes live outside as we have no garage and one of them has a cover. But one of our friendly local dogs pisses on the cover and it's a bastard if you want to take the cover off without getting dog piss on yourself or even fold it up and put it inside the house...you get the picture.
So, any suggestions (other than options involving toxic dog biscuits and firearms please) ?? Years ago I remember people used to put plastic bottles filled with water around their yard as some kind of deterrent - no idea if it worked or not. Or, wife's suggestion: I could piss on the cover and mark it out as my territory again....

scumdog
1st July 2006, 11:30
First off you'll have to clean the cover - and don't use ammonia based products as to a dog it could smell just like pee - and your own pee would just be a 'challenge' to them too! ( ever notice how a pack of dogs take turns at pissing on the same spot?
Each trying to make it 'theirs'

Have had success with mothballs around my bike but then it's in a sheltered garge.

Borrow some 'Livestrand' electric fence set-up off a cocky for a week or two?

Mental Trousers
1st July 2006, 11:34
The electric fence thing was the first I thought of. Anything pissing on one doesn't do it for long.

Indiana_Jones
1st July 2006, 12:01
Damn, I was gonna say shot him up the butt with a .177 air rifle lol

-Indy

Sniper
1st July 2006, 12:12
You can buy a spray chemical from a vet that will deter the dogs

Mikey27
1st July 2006, 12:27
curry powder always works around rubbish bags, preferably hot...

Crisis management
1st July 2006, 12:40
Clean the cover as scumdog suggests then try a dog / cat repellent spray (the sprays intended to stop them pissing on the carpet so should work!) We have used them when house training dogs and found them very effective.
Failing that, lie in wait for the culprit and paint his arse with turps, thats even more effective!
Good luck.

SARGE
1st July 2006, 13:20
Or, wife's suggestion: I could piss on the cover and mark it out as my territory again....

or ...

buy a Honda .. they aint worth pissin on :Pokey: :kick: :finger:

ajturbo
1st July 2006, 13:23
ride faster

Macktheknife
1st July 2006, 14:08
Clean the cover first, then apply a liberal dusting of ground black pepper to the area (about 2 feet wide of the bike), re-apply daily for about a week. After they have got a nose full of black pepper a couple of times they lose all interest in going near the area.
DO NOT use the water bottle thing, it actually encourages them to shit there as well, not kidding.
If you want to be a prick about it, mix in some hot chilli powder too.

adam666
1st July 2006, 14:15
I have always found plastic bottles filled with water to be quite effective.
(and the best as its chemical free and costs nothing)

the theory of course that dogs/animals will not tend to poop or piss round a fresh water supply

mowing the lawns smells so much better :)

cheers
Adam

scumdog
1st July 2006, 14:21

the theory of course that dogs/animals will not tend to poop or piss round a fresh water supply

cheers
Adam

A-hem! I have SEEN a dog crap on top of one of said bottles!! No shit!

pixc
1st July 2006, 14:32
lie in wait for the culprit and paint his arse with turps, thats even more effective!
Good luck.
OMG...Ive seen that done before when I was a kid. Its awefully mean..but effective. Never forget the poor thing screaming down the road draggin it ass on the grass. Never did see it again

Storm
1st July 2006, 16:10
Or , if you are real nasty(and electrically inclined), what you do ,is you hook up a power supply 12V/24v/230V(if you really want to do it once, do it proper :) )between the metal of your bike and the ground. When the offending animal piddles on the metal, they become the conduit to earth (via the tender parts )
and dont do it again

DISCLAIMER - I just heard this from someone else and any injuries/fatalities are not my responsibility

Storm
1st July 2006, 16:12
Or wait up for it, catch it in the act and beat six kinds of s&%t out of it.

(Can you tell other people letting thier animals run wild gets my goat? :bleh:)

Sniper
1st July 2006, 16:34
Punji Pit?

Oakie
1st July 2006, 16:37
OMG...Ive seen that done before when I was a kid. Its awefully mean..but effective. Never forget the poor thing screaming down the road draggin it ass on the grass. Never did see it again

Jeez, I remember my dad telling me that one ... must be 35 years ago now. (Getting the dog to actually stand still while you apply the turps to his arse would be the hard part I guess?)

Storm
1st July 2006, 16:41
Altough illegal, I hear gin traps are all that and a bag of chips(it all depends how nasty you're prepared to be )

Oakie
1st July 2006, 16:44
How about you hire one of those Cheetahs that Auckland Zoo hires out? Be enough to give any dog nightmares. ... (and not want to come back to your place)

bell
1st July 2006, 17:07
How about you hire one of those Cheetahs that Auckland Zoo hires out? Be enough to give any dog nightmares. ... (and not want to come back to your place)

Ha! I like that a lot...but, a bottle of turps, some chilli powder and a dash of black pepper along with one of those sprays from the vet should do the trick i reckon. Thanks for all your suggestions folks! Keep em coming. bell

pixc
1st July 2006, 17:30
(Getting the dog to actually stand still while you apply the turps to his arse would be the hard part I guess?)
From memory ..catching the bugger was the hardest part. Was a wee dog..foxy type. Poor thing. I think he just tipped it on as apposed to 'painting ' it on. I was 5ish and my folks managed the Thames race course. One of the few things I remember from the place...that and my older brothers getting caught emptying the beers kegs after a meet :drinkup:

pixc
1st July 2006, 17:35
Just use Cheetah weez or lion weez...or Zoo doo :P Ohh thats right ...zoo doo to keep possums away from your......rose garden

imdying
3rd July 2006, 10:42
Get a pillow case, put a glass bottle in it. Smash up the pillow case with a hammer, then throw some mince in. Mix it up, and make some meatballs. Then throw them over the neighhours fence when you go for a jog. That'll stop it pissing on your bike, and probably everything else ;)

PaddyFZ1
3rd July 2006, 11:19
Load up a shot gun cartrige with rock salt, and shoot it in the arse. Wont kill the bugger but i bet he wont be back for more.

MikeyG
3rd July 2006, 11:41
Similar to the turps one - Shove some fresh ginger up it's arse.

For a more humane approach you could call dog control whenecer it is round aqnd the owners will soon learn to keep the thing tied up

Biohazard
3rd July 2006, 13:17
I'd hide and wait for them to turn up and then piss on them :blip:

Or buy a bigger dog :innocent:

PuppetMaster
3rd July 2006, 13:43
This is the best thread ever.

bert_is_evil
3rd July 2006, 14:47

cheers
Adam

Anyone remember a TV gardening show called "Dig this" hosted by a guy called Eion Scarrow? (no, me niether, ahem) He started this whole water bottle hoax on his show for an April fools joke - within a couple of months the whole of NZ was littered with half full water bottles.

I bet he's still laughing.

FlyingDutchMan
3rd July 2006, 14:57
I saw a dog piss on an electric fence once. I've never seen a dog jump so high or run so fast. Vanished very quickly down the road, japping insanely all the way.

inlinefour
3rd July 2006, 15:11
Whats actually needed is to catch the dog, but be aware that many are very cunning. Ive caught 2 dogs in the neighbourhood since I have lived here as they where allways allowed to wonder and make a nuscience of themselves. One needed a slight tune up while in my posession as it was a nasty bastard, however Ive handle dogs similar in the past. I then tied them to the clothes line and called the pound. Basically its my theory that its not the dogs faulth that its a dropkick, but the owner how trained (or neglected) and allowed it to wander. There are some pretty hefty fines in NP for owning a nuscience dog and I know that on both occasions the owner was indeed fined. Through past experience, ignorant dog owners only take notice when they are hit hard where it hurts, in the pocket.:blip:

beyond
3rd July 2006, 15:25
When my kids were young and I lived in town, I had a problem with a large dog dropping clangers all over my front lawn. You know the result. Kids would come in stinking like hell with clanger dough all over their trotters and then comes summer and you hit it with your lawn mower and a cloud of Agent orange would descend upon you and have you gagging in the shrubbery.

So, what I did, was a full on Starsky and Hutch replay. Got myself an air powered eight shot colt 45 in .22 calibre slug pistol and bunged a nice fresh CO2 cyclinder in it, for maximum affect. I saw the large dog coming into our property one Saturday morning, grabbed the slug pistol and twisted the key to puncture the CO2 cyclinder. I asked my wife to wrench the front door open as quick as she could, which she did very well. I leapt out onto the porch, down on one knee, both hands holding the pistol out in front and managed to pump all eight rounds into the bugger while he was in the middle of a dirty big squat. Man it sounded good.

The mangy mutt leapt about two metres into the air with a massive clanger hanging out it's arse. It's legs were going like a blur and just like in the Scobby Doo movies. When it hit the ground, grass and dirt was flying everywhere as it tried to get a grip. I jumped back inside as quick as I could and slammed the door shut, peering out the curtain as all hell broke loose.

This mutts racing up and down the road, baying and hollering, up the crescent and back again. Neighbours are all coming out to see what the ruckus is all about. Guess what, no more clangers on my front yard. :)

bert_is_evil
3rd July 2006, 15:51
Whats actually needed is to catch the dog, but be aware that many are very cunning. Ive caught 2 dogs in the neighbourhood since I have lived here as they where allways allowed to wonder and make a nuscience of themselves. One needed a slight tune up while in my posession as it was a nasty bastard, however Ive handle dogs similar in the past. I then tied them to the clothes line and called the pound. Basically its my theory that its not the dogs faulth that its a dropkick, but the owner how trained (or neglected) and allowed it to wander. There are some pretty hefty fines in NP for owning a nuscience dog and I know that on both occasions the owner was indeed fined. Through past experience, ignorant dog owners only take notice when they are hit hard where it hurts, in the pocket.:blip:

How did you catch the dogs? I'm guessing it wasn't the old steak spiked with tranquiliser trick.

dawnrazor
3rd July 2006, 16:01
follow them home and piss on their kennels, if I know dogs and I think I do, that'll piss them off no end and the lesson will have been learnt.

...or you may get arrested for flashing your langer in public

MrMelon
3rd July 2006, 16:14
Smack em in the balls with an electric fly swat!

bert_is_evil
3rd July 2006, 16:52

The dog or it's owner?

inlinefour
3rd July 2006, 17:32
How did you catch the dogs? I'm guessing it wasn't the old steak spiked with tranquiliser trick.

The only time they ever got in was when someone left a gate in. I'd sneak around and close the gate. Eventually the dog in question gave up and came over to me for a pat and that was it. I actually really like dogs, its the owners that I tend to have a problem with...

Skyryder
3rd July 2006, 18:55
I saw a dog piss on an electric fence once. I've never seen a dog jump so high or run so fast. Vanished very quickly down the road, japping insanely all the way.

Seen a guy do this..............dropped so fast...............his legs just buckled out from under him. His nuts ached for hours. Just not the thing to do.

Skyryder

Mikey27
3rd July 2006, 19:03
love those electric fly swats, suprised a few people with that too

Skyryder
3rd July 2006, 19:05
Try some Eglish mustard powder sprinkled around you bike on the ground. Chillie powder will work to. Dogs have very senstive noses bit of hot powder up the nostral is not pleasent. Keep the powder around for a few days until the dog(s) know to keep away. Should work. You might have to do this again periodicly.

Skyryder

mstriumph
3rd July 2006, 19:25
i once had a bloke actually lead his wretched pooch onto my lawn to poop while he was out walking it

i watched this happen - couldn;t believe it

nipped out the back, grabbed a shovel [or, yes, it COULD have been a spade ... lol], scooped up the still-steaming poop and ....... followed the pair of them down the road with it

the guy kept walking faster and faster, looking back over his shoulder ... [i think it was my broad smile that was making him nervous ...] in the end he was sorta trotting with me trotting right along in the rear like some sort of keystone cops egg & spoon race .....

he reached his house and darted inside, dragging the pooch behind him and slamming the door ...........

i waited until i saw the curtains twitch before opening his mailbox and carefully sliding the offering inside ........

then i turned, still smiling, waved and left

never happened again

-------------------------
the moral of this tale is ---- it's the owner's problem, not the dog's and not yours ..... so MAKE it the owner's problem

inlinefour
3rd July 2006, 19:50
i once had a bloke actually lead his wretched pooch onto my lawn to poop while he was out walking it

i watched this happen - couldn;t believe it

nipped out the back, grabbed a shovel [or, yes, it COULD have been a spade ... lol], scooped up the still-steaming poop and ....... followed the pair of them down the road with it

the guy kept walking faster and faster, looking back over his shoulder ... [i think it was my broad smile that was making him nervous ...] in the end he was sorta trotting with me trotting right along in the rear like some sort of keystone cops egg & spoon race .....

he reached his house and darted inside, dragging the pooch behind him and slamming the door ...........

i waited until i saw the curtains twitch before opening his mailbox and carefully sliding the offering inside ........

then i turned, still smiling, waved and left

never happened again

-------------------------
the moral of this tale is ---- it's the owner's problem, not the dog's and not yours ..... so MAKE it the owner's problem

Green bling awarded.:rockon:

Titanium
3rd July 2006, 20:14
Grab some live traps........ possum traps work good for cats..... not sure what you would use for dogs. Guess it depends how big the dog is.....

Trap the dog and turn the hose on it for a few hours....... nice in the winter.

The cat that kept pissing on our bar b q has not been seen since. Was farken funny seeing it bounce around the inside of the cage......

Or you could get a dog?

jord
3rd July 2006, 20:57
Surely someone has some tips for this bastard problem?
My bikes live outside as we have no garage and one of them has a cover. But one of our friendly local dogs pisses on the cover and it's a bastard if you want to take the cover off without getting dog piss on yourself or even fold it up and put it inside the house...you get the picture.
So, any suggestions (other than options involving toxic dog biscuits and firearms please) ?? Years ago I remember people used to put plastic bottles filled with water around their yard as some kind of deterrent - no idea if it worked or not. Or, wife's suggestion: I could piss on the cover and mark it out as my territory again....

mate iv got two words for you...Twelve guage