PDA

View Full Version : of GLOVES and stuff

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 13:48
I recently saw someone riding a bike without gloves. To be honest it sent shivvers down my spine. :shutup: I understand the logic of having to choose to replace a worn out tyre or buy a set of gloves for the bikers on tight budgets but heck its the hands that cop it first if ya bin the bike.
Perhaps those with old pairs of gloves they aint using any more could post on here just to let us know.
Or if you know a shop selling bike gloves cheap it'd be good to know.
Those of you with enough money to buy all the gear--please don't comment
some guys are struggling to keep the shiney side up

Shawn
27th May 2004, 14:01
ya…totally…I also showed that guy all the visible marks on my right palm from coming off a month and ½ ago without any gloves on, also asked him to get a pair…I hope he does and doesn’t have to learn the lesson the harder way unlike some1 ...:wacko: ..…I don’t even go one meter from my house without my gloves now…

FzerozeroT
27th May 2004, 14:26
I was talking to a guy at taupo with borrowed leathers, asked him about the gear he actually owned and it was like work boots, $20 gloves, 2nd hand helmet

Motu
27th May 2004, 15:01
Wearing no gloves is like walking around nakid,scary alright.I never used to buy bike gloves - I don't like them,I'd get black mens dress gloves and rip the lining out.Finaly they started to make nice light MX gloves so started using them.We get more variety now and I check the bargin bins for light unlined gloves.I used mechanics gloves for awhile - you can sometimes get these at bike shops,I still use them for trials.You don't need to spend $200 on gloves - I never have....not even in total over 35 yrs.

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 15:11
I basicly agree with all the above posts but the thread wasn't intended to point the finger just to see if we can help these guys out a bit.
Im pissed off actually because I threw out a bunch of my old race gloves.
all withy studs ripped out or scarred thumbs but still a lot better than nothing

Jackrat
27th May 2004, 15:23
I wear gloves made by protector safety.
They come in tan,brown and black.They are very similar to riggers gloves but have a thinsulate liner.My current pair I have been useing for 4 years and I payed $22.00 for from protector safety in Takanini.
They wear very well and I find them more comfortable than normal bike gloves.With a silk liner added they are also good during winter but they ain't water proof.Actualy my silk liners cost more than the gloves but were way worth it.
So there we go,if we can afford a tank of gas we can also afford a pretty good pair of gloves.I look at my gloves the same way as my helmet or a seat belt in a car,without them I just couldn't feel comfortable.

duckman
27th May 2004, 16:03
I have a set of old gloves that anyone who wants to ride over to my place can have. The only thing wrong with them is the thumb has worn through a bit on one of the gloves.
I got a new set of gloves when I got the TL so ... if anyones keen let me know.
If you already have a set, be kind and leave this set for someone who has none eh. !! :hug:

FzerozeroT
27th May 2004, 17:22
I've got a pair with a ripped open palm, for BIG hands (XXL), if someone wants to sew them back up they can have them.

FROSTY
27th May 2004, 17:25
what happened dude?? --ya have a spill??

Kickaha
27th May 2004, 17:58
I've fallen off wearing $80 gloves and fallen off wearing $180 dollar gloves,the more expensive gloves stood up to it far better than the cheaper ones.

The cheaper ones weren't usable after the "off",the more expensive gloves suffered very little damage despite the fact I was going faster when I hit the ground.

MikeL
27th May 2004, 21:04
I bought a perfectly good pair of bike gloves from Cash Converters for $20. Anyone on a budget who is prepared to hunt around can find something decent for next to nothing.

FzerozeroT
28th May 2004, 06:41
what happened dude?? --ya have a spill??

Yep, it's been posted in here.

They're comfy gloves and ifyou could find another left you'd be set :D

They are the ones i have on in my profile pic. any takers, does a racer want a right hand glove?

Lou Girardin
28th May 2004, 06:47
I particularly like the fingerless Harley gloves.

RiderInBlack
28th May 2004, 07:03
I particularly like the fingerless Harley gloves.Yep, just perfect for fingerless Harley Riders (or those want-a-be's who think being fingerless is fashionable:Pokey: ):doh: .

scumdog
28th May 2004, 09:56
Yep, just perfect for fingerless Harley Riders (or those want-a-be's who think being fingerless is fashionable:Pokey: ):doh: .

Hey! how did you know I had a finger missing?
I DO wear fingerless gloves when I'm in town, means I can take my helmet off etc without removing gloves when I am on-and-off the bike a lot, rest of the time I have good quality gloves. (have been known to wear welding gloves when budget tight) :wacko:

FROSTY
28th May 2004, 22:39
on the cash converters front-i wandered in there in my lunch break--got me a pair of sportex storm gloves for $20

Lou Girardin
29th May 2004, 06:54
Hey! how did you know I had a finger missing?
I DO wear fingerless gloves when I'm in town, means I can take my helmet off etc without removing gloves when I am on-and-off the bike a lot, rest of the time I have good quality gloves. (have been known to wear welding gloves when budget tight) :wacko:

If you wear fingerless gloves, why wear gloves at all?

Motu
29th May 2004, 08:19
For palm and knuckle protection.I used to wear fingerless gloves - actualy the cloves were so old that the index finger stiching came apart from punching Amal ticklers,so I cut the rest off too.Yes,they don't cover some important areas - one day I lost the front end and as the bike went down my right leg was trapped under the bike - bike and I sailing down the road at speed with me on my stomach and digging my fingers into the road surface to stop.Shit,my fingers were stinging when we stopped!

scumdog
29th May 2004, 17:20
If you wear fingerless gloves, why wear gloves at all?
Quitr right, seeing asI usually land on my fingertips and not the palms I shall discard them immediately <_<

Jackrat
29th May 2004, 19:38
Lets see if ya's all can work this out.
I have several gloves that have finger tips only,no palm at all.
They work just fine for their intended purpose too.

scumdog
29th May 2004, 23:33
Lets see if ya's all can work this out.
I have several gloves that have finger tips only,no palm at all.
They work just fine for their intended purpose too.

Hey, I know if we got together and sewed what bits of gloves we have together we could end up with you having no gloves and me having a good set eh!!! :rolleyes: l

Shawn
30th May 2004, 00:32
Hey, I know if we got together and sewed what bits of gloves we have together we could end up with you having no gloves and me having a good set eh!!! :rolleyes: l

Hahahahah!!!...brilliant

FzerozeroT
30th May 2004, 08:57
Thimble (message too short)

Jackrat
31st May 2004, 18:42
Thimble (message too short)
Hey come on,do I sound like the needle work type.

FzerozeroT
31st May 2004, 19:36
is it a single finger glove? eeeewwww.

Jackrat
31st May 2004, 23:00
is it a single finger glove? eeeewwww.

:killingme Good one,No it is three fingers for shooting an english long bow.
Just another one of my pass times.

FROSTY
31st May 2004, 23:04
I mashed my thumb pretty bad once -so i had a thumbless glove

FzerozeroT
1st June 2004, 10:19
another one is in the food industry if you cut your finger you put just the finger on then sellotape it on

vifferman
1st June 2004, 12:03
Wouldn't it be better to have your finger sewn back on, rather than sellotaped?

vifferman
1st June 2004, 12:10
on the cash converters front-i wandered in there in my lunch break--got me a pair of sportex storm gloves for $20

Mmm...nice; very trendy. :)

I must be bad - I have 5 (five) pairs of glubs, and think I need some more.
I have one pair (Spidi Pro-1) that I most of the time, my old AGVs that I wear sometimes when it's threatening to rain, a pair of crappy 'waterproof' Orina gloves that I wear iffen I have to (if it's cold and/or really pissindown), a pair that a lady at work gave me (can't remember the brand), and a pair of leather ones that I don't like wearing.

Should really get rid of some, I guess, but I don't like chucking out things that are still "good". :blah:

If anyone wants either of the last two pairs mentioned, let me know. I never wear them, so I should really get rid of them. The other three pairs live in my bag or on my hands.

FzerozeroT
2nd June 2004, 09:25
Wouldn't it be better to have your finger sewn back on, rather than sellotaped?

little cut on finger, sellotape the finger from a rubber glove on.

oh, sorry, were you being sarcastic :moon:

FROSTY
15th June 2004, 19:47
Hey ive got these for sale--my hands are too bloody big
$20 and theyre yours
pic is on my origonal post

Antallica
16th June 2004, 09:27
If you still have them next time we meet @ BBQ or whenever I'll grab them off you. Otherwise my cash is tied to getting the Fixxer back on the road.